Corroded Connectors
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corroded Connectors

Member My location azopelnut azopelnut's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Heebink
    Downloads
    Uploads

Corroded Connectors

I am working on the wiring of non-Opel that has many electrical connectors. I do not want to pry the metal spades out of the plastic housing as I don't want to break them in the process.
    Are there any chemical cleaners or any other method that won't destroy the plastic connector but still clean the metal spade.
    Paul "azopelnut" Heebink
    1956 Studebaker Power Hawk 259 V8
    1970 GT 12A-Rotary 5-speed
    1972 GT 2.0, 5-speed
    1973 GT #1, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 GT #2, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 Ascona 4-door 2.2 5-speed A/C
    1974 Manta, 1.9 Auto A/C
    1975 Sportwagon 1.9 FI 4-speed A/C
    1975 Fiat X19

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Living in the past opelnut10 is on a distinguished road opelnut10's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Conector cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by azopelnut View Post
    I am working on the wiring of non-Opel that has many electrical connectors. I do not want to pry the metal spades out of the plastic housing as I don't want to break them in the process.
    Are there any chemical cleaners or any other method that won't destroy the plastic connector but still clean the metal spade.
    They make a spray that electronic techs use to clean terminals and contacts. TV repairmen use to use it to cleaner tuners in TV's, I would try an electronic supply store or Radio Shack, etc.

Opelnut opelnut_1 is on a distinguished road opelnut_1's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    be careful alot of the contact cleaners will cause some plastics to become VERY brittle. especially old connectors. be sure the contact cleaner states safe for plastic on it

Trust me!!!
    Last edited by tekenaar; 03-04-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: cleanors
    My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)
    72 Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    87 Volvo 240 (Daily Driver for now)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Paul, there was a product on the market some time ago called "Corrosion X". Used it on my receiver connections on my model racing boats, worked great at keeping the salt corrosion out of the connections. Their big selling point was dropping a TV into a barrel of it, plugged in to an AC source and the darn thing kept on working. IDK if it's still available though.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

Senior Contributor markandson will become famous soon enough markandson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Getting the connectors out of the plugs is no big problem. You need a very small jewelers screwdriver or something similar. Look at the end of the connector, there is a small space on one side it is the side that is the closed side of the metal female or male inside the plastic block. Stick the screwdriver down into the slot and create pressure on the metal connector, this will push the small piece out of the way that acts as a barb to hold the metal piece in. All you have to do to put it back together is push the small barb back out a little so that it springs into place. Make sure you document the location of all the wires in the plug/socket before you start taking wires out . You can clean the metal parts very nicely with a dremel tool and a small wire brush that they sell, I have burned up a dozen or so of them during my rebuild, and I'm not done yet.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia 05' Mazda Miata
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Detroit,where my home was My location 2 Fast 4 U is on a distinguished road 2 Fast 4 U's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    Getting the connectors out of the plugs is no big problem. You need a very small jewelers screwdriver or something similar. Look at the end of the connector, there is a small space on one side it is the side that is the closed side of the metal female or male inside the plastic block. Stick the screwdriver down into the slot and create pressure on the metal connector, this will push the small piece out of the way that acts as a barb to hold the metal piece in. All you have to do to put it back together is push the small barb back out a little so that it springs into place. Make sure you document the location of all the wires in the plug/socket before you start taking wires out . You can clean the metal parts very nicely with a dremel tool and a small wire brush that they sell, I have burned up a dozen or so of them during my rebuild, and I'm not done yet.
    That is the only safe way to do it
    Opel Ascona;
    Only built from 1970 - 1975

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information