Manta electrical problem
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tealcarver

Thread: Manta electrical problem

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Manta electrical problem

Hello, i am having a running problem with my manta (beacuse i bought in non working, so have strugled to get it so far), the car starts but dies almost instantly. If i hold the key in starting position it runs but if you release it engine stops. Found out form the internet who had the same problem the answer was a green wire from the fuse box needed to go somewhere and it solved his problem, but there wasnt any instructions about where should it go, it suposed to be a signal wire for car to know engine has been started. ( Motorproblem Opel 2.2CIH that forum topic was in swedish but google helped me, that is same problem as me)
    And a nother question wires go form ignition lock to the fusebox with a connector but there is a short red wire connected to the igniton lock also that does not go to the connector but where does in need to go?
    The car has 2.2CIH engine 85kw
    Waiting for your help and ideas

Sorry for my faulty english

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member My location tealcarver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Erkii: Not an expert on Mantas, but there is a wiring diagram for the Manta on this site. I am enclosing the link. The first page is the table of contents, and you will find Ignition and Starting in the table of contents. Check it out, I think it will tell you what you need to know: http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/data...g_Diagrams.pdf

The section that has the starting and ignition wiring diagram for your Manta is J-92.

Good Luck with your Manta, hope this helps.

Bob
    sawdust likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Opeler My location Bill Hoffmann's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by erkii View Post
    Hello, i am having a running problem with my manta (beacuse i bought in non working, so have strugled to get it so far), the car starts but dies almost instantly. If i hold the key in starting position it runs but if you release it engine stops.
    I'm not familiar with the later fuel injection you have (LE Jetronic?) but on the L-Jetronic cars, the symptom you describe happens if the main supply (#12 Red) from the battery to the dual relay is disconnected.

Bill

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by erkii View Post
    Hello, i am having a running problem with my manta (beacuse i bought in non working, so have strugled to get it so far), the car starts but dies almost instantly. If i hold the key in starting position it runs but if you release it engine stops. Found out form the internet who had the same problem the answer was a green wire from the fuse box needed to go somewhere and it solved his problem, but there wasnt any instructions about where should it go, it suposed to be a signal wire for car to know engine has been started. ( Motorproblem Opel 2.2CIH that forum topic was in swedish but google helped me, that is same problem as me)
    And a nother question wires go form ignition lock to the fusebox with a connector but there is a short red wire connected to the igniton lock also that does not go to the connector but where does in need to go?
    The car has 2.2CIH engine 85kw
    Waiting for your help and ideas

Sorry for my faulty english
    On non EFI engines the green wire goes to the points, which also connects to the condensor and also the tachometer. I don't know if it's the same on EFI models.

Here's where you should be looking.
    Turn on ignition to the "run" position. Take a voltage meter and connect the red to + on the coil. Then the black to earth (ground in the USA). You should see voltage. (but you probably won't because this is a common problem).
    Now, I don't have EFI wiring but if I did I'd bet on a fuse or fusible link or resistor wire connected to the + side of the coil. And I bet it's bad.

So, here's why. (I assume)

The coil on your Manta is an externally resisted coil. What this means is that it "runs" on less than 12V. It works "best" with a full 12V (or whatever it gets when the engine is cranking.
    When you engage the starter the solenoid engages the wire on the engine side of the main battery connection which sends 12V to the coil when the ignition is in the START position. But the second you release the START position on the ignition, the other circuit (discussed above) is engaged. If that circuit is faulty, you will get EXACTLY the symptom you described.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Turn the key to the run position and see with a test light if you have power on the plus side of the coil. If not, you have a faulty switch.
    You are running the car off the starter bypass when you hold the key in the start position, as soon as you disengage the starter, your run circuit should be keeping power to the coil, but it isn't. This also could be a resistance wire that is burnt up. These are usually a transparent wire to the plus side of the coil.
    Last edited by opelspyder; 04-21-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had this very same issue when replacing points distributor on a 79 2.0 Rekord with electronic ignition from an 85 Rekord. Problem was the ignition feed to the coil. (Black wire in Pic to coil.) It has 15+ beside terminal on coil. It is a resistance wire in the older cars. When you are cranking the engine it has 12V. When you release key it drops to 9v. Electronic ignition needs 12V. Had to run 12V ignition live from fuse box (Yellow wire) and join it to black.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So today i checked the coil voltage, when ignition is on it gets 12.1V and when cranking the engine it gets 11.6V.
    But id didint fire today at all, the fuel pump did not make a sound, the relay (main relay) under the hood has ground and has voltage, if you put directly voltage to the pump then pump works.
    I have 2 questions about two connectors.
    1) the connector near the ecu it has 2 wires (1goes directly to injecotrs othe goes to the (main) relay, it has nothing connetedd to it, should it have?
    picture https://www.upload.ee/image/6934656/CAM01464.jpg
    2) there is a connector undre the 4 pin connector under the hood where is a green wire wich has been cut (the wires werent solired it was like that and was cowered with tape) and put an new wire but where does it need to go? one end goes to the two ecu in front of the passanger but other end must have batterey + or what? this connector connects engine loom to the other loom
    picture https://www.upload.ee/image/6934685/CAM01471.jpg

EDIT: So i solved the problem in another way, bought a vectra gsi with c20xe engine and going to swap engine.
    Last edited by erkii; 05-01-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Thread Information