71 gt front caliper interchange-
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 71 gt front caliper interchange-

71 Opel Gt 71opelgtracer is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

71 gt front caliper interchange-

I just bought a 71 Gt and found a that both front calipers are missing.
    I was wondering is there an interchange with the other opel models or a better made caliper from another model.
    Also, anywhere better than shucks to buy them. I'd rather let a 5 year old work on my car then trust my life to shucks parts.
    I checked Napa and some other auto parts stores and no one else sells them.
    The car is the 1.9L 4spd.

Before anyone yells at me, the parts interchange page is down.
    Thanks
    Trevor

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This would be PERFECT! You can bolt on the calipers from the 75 models and get more braking. These are also the same calipers on 77-83 BMW 320i with the ATE system. or if you do a little searching, a few mods and you can run Volvo 240 4-piston calipers for some serious "whoa"
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to bash Gene's youthful enthusiasm but... Although the larger '75 calipers are a direct bolt on, they aren't plug and play. There may be a wheel clearance issue. Second the bleeder screw and brake line are on the same end of the caliper, the top, the GT's brake line is on the bottom. Third it is utilizes an ISO bubble fitting rather than double flare which I believe to be more commonly used and therefore easier to find or have someone make up new.

Harold
    Harold;
    I put OPEL 75 calipers on my wife's 74 Sportwagon with her STOCK 74 wheels and no clearance problems. The hose issue is not that big of a problem either, just get the metal ends off the BMW 320i and Manta front rubber hoses, problem solved.
    Gene Buttinski, that is almost a plug and play, the GT is a little more involved. If it's not a daily driver as mine was then by all means upgrade now. Don't let me rain on your parade.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 11-06-2008 at 02:40 PM.

1000 Post Club My location grslightng02 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upgraded Braking

I just ordered a new caliper for my 71 GT from Opel GT Source since my old one was leaking and needed to be rebuilt. I believe it was about $99 before tax, shipping and an additional $30 core charge. I was VERY please with the excellent quality of the rebuilt part!

If you read the OPEL GT GOLD PORTFOLIO most of the auto magazine reviews rate the brakes as "good". I would agree good to adequate. Opel GT Source has a Front Big Brake Package (item #4003SP) that you can order to increase your front braking for $699 plus tax & shipping. They also have "FRONT IRMSCHER VENTILATED BIG BRAKE PACKAGE Includes special hubs and rotors, 1975 calipers, and a kit to widen 1975 calipers. Improved braking for racing applications. Best Opel GT front brake package money can buy.," OGTS for $1,100 plus tax and shipping.

Of course why stop there??? LOL they also carry rear sets you can order as well. Visit Opel GT Source --- Welcome.

You may also want to call and talk to JIM at USA Opel/ Opels Forever at USA OPEL .

It all depends on if you want to restore, upgrade, or build a sports machine and how deep your pocket book goes.

Neil

1000 Post Club My location grslightng02 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes, don't forget replacing/restoring your master cylinder and brake booster, or consider installing an after market master cylinder and booster. I think you may find some articles on people who have found the set from a GEO Metro fits and works nicely!

Opeler Anonymous D is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Think Again

"This would be PERFECT! You can bolt on the calipers from the 75 models and get more braking."

No.

You should take any advice from an online board, with a grain of salt.

In this case, you are modifying the brakes, which is the most important safety system in the car. Your life, and the lives of others in your car or on the road, isn't worth risking by experimenting with results (from proceeding on a project based on insufficient initial information). In this case, you need to know that a brake upgrade requires more than changing the calipers to the 1975 Opel calipers alone.

You will also need the larger 1975 sized rotors and different brake hoses. Even then, it may cause a problem with clearance, and require you to get a different set of rims. It's a good combination with larger rear wheel cylinders, but that would also require installation of a proportioning valve in the hydraulic system.

Member My location lezliewk lezliewk's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just installed two rebuilt ones from opelgtsource. great way to go,and work like new
    Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Manta Saviour blancojp will become famous soon enough blancojp's Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    "This would be PERFECT! You can bolt on the calipers from the 75 models and get more braking."

No.

You should take any advice from an online board, with a grain of salt.
    Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't believe advice from members should be taken with a grain of salt. On the contrary, advice is nothing more than a statement which can or should be verified to properly ascertain the veracity of the conclusion.

After all, that is what a club is all about!

71 Opel Gt 71opelgtracer is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the great info guys!!
    I haven't decided which way to go, but now I know some good options.

Thanks everybody

Opelitis afflicted My location charlie1966 is on a distinguished road charlie1966's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think that most if not everyone that reads even a few posts will realize that if you upgrade one part, you will almost certainly have to upgrade something else. So when advice is given on a specific item, if all related upgrades are also mentioned and discussed in 1 post, then the relevant information would be impossible to find and then this wouldn't be the excellent site that it is. So when someone asks for some specific advice that is what is given.

So enjoy your Opels and play safe.(but that is a given, isn't it?)

Sorry to go off topic!
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 71opelgtracer View Post
    Thanks for all the great info guys!!
    I haven't decided which way to go, but now I know some good options.

Thanks everybody
    No problem, it may take some time for you to decide which way to go.

If you decide to upgrade, I have designed 14 different setups for front and rear which you can mostly bolt on. From mild to wild, there is a flavor for everyone. I will say however if you don't know how to work on brakes, have some one who knows perform the work.

I will be installing my newest creation on Stealth in the next week or so. This system has a 256mm vented front rotor, can be used with stock wheels and it is all based on Chevy Celebrity parts which; the cost will not brake the bank per say.

Opeler 71suspension is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

71 gt frt caliper interchange

blancojp,
    I am new here to the Opel Forum. I just picked up a '71 Opel GT front suspension for a hotrod project and I would like to upgrade the calipers and rotors. Could you post or PM me the mild to wild upgrades for the front disks. Just to let you know what Iam putting this on it is a '48 Austin A40 Delivery Van. The pic with the wheels are just sitting there for you to see what it might look like with wheels.
    Attached Images

Pathologic Opeler My location opeldean is on a distinguished road opeldean's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

as far as brake hoses- are all 3 the same?

a long while ago I bought 3 hydraulic hoses for my stock 70 brakes on ebay . It looks like they fit my parts car calipers,but I cant get under to check the rear.

question:the 3 hoses I have are all autospeciality HB 1300..are all 3 the same ?
    Attached Images

Thank you:members of opelgt.com for helping me on a 7year reconstruction of the most beautiful car in the world:

Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,Manta finned pan,small oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dean;
    One hose should be slightly shorter than the other two. This one goes to the rear axle.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeldean View Post
    a long while ago I bought 3 hydraulic hoses for my stock 70 brakes on ebay . It looks like they fit my parts car calipers,but I cant get under to check the rear.

question:the 3 hoses I have are all autospeciality HB 1300..are all 3 the same ?
    On '72 and '73 GTs the three hoses are the same.

On '69 through '71, the center rear hose is 10mm smaller. You can however use a standard front hose on any one of the three locations without a problem.

You can also use a Volkswagen hose on the center rear. This hose has the "tee" built in, it has the 10x1mm IF fitting and it is slightly longer. I have used these hoses in the past without problems by removing the hose retainer at the rear end side.

If you are considering installing a rear disk setup in the future, I would replace the hose retainer with a dual unit and run two lines from the master cylinder to the dual retainer unit. Then place two hoses and run individual lines to each side.

Pathologic Opeler My location opeldean is on a distinguished road opeldean's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    On '72 and '73 GTs the three hoses are the same.

On '69 through '71, the center rear hose is 10mm smaller. You can however use a standard front hose on any one of the three locations without a problem.

thanks Gene and Juan, this is what i needed to know. This is my first brake job and I want to make sure I have all the stuff before I take it apart.

I am doing a stock "refreshen". new hoses ,rotors, and green stuff pads. OGTS is out of rebuilt calipers.Mine arent leaking anywhere..at least not yet..'
    I would like to replace the calipers in the most simple manner,to match my skill level,but there are no stock calipers that I can find.

Thank you:members of opelgt.com for helping me on a 7year reconstruction of the most beautiful car in the world:

Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,Manta finned pan,small oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

others parts

do I need shims ,wheel seals or bearings? Rock auto has them,but no calipers.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dean;
    The shims are just for anti squeak/rattle. It would be a cheap investment to go ahead and get all new wheel bearings (both inner and outer, and new races) and seal, cheap "insurance" by far, especially if it has not ever been done or has not been done in a while.
    Last edited by BQS4; 04-14-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeldean View Post
    thanks Gene and Juan, this is what i needed to know. This is my first brake job and I want to make sure I have all the stuff before I take it apart.

I would like to replace the calipers in the most simple manner,to match my skill level,but there are no stock calipers that I can find.
    Rock auto will rebuild the calipers for you for about $35 each. It does take anywhere from 3-8 weeks for you to get them back. Another alternative is to seek out a BMW work shop and have them rebuild the calipers for you. Opel and BMW calipers are similar so should be no problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information