1.9 Kadett and GT Motor Mounts
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: 1.9 Kadett and GT Motor Mounts

New Brunswick Opeler Ray Morley's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

1.9 Kadett and GT Motor Mounts

I plan to install my two mounts on my 70 Kadett Rallye this week as both mounts are pretty well squashed.

When I compare the two new mounts one is larger than the other.

Which one goes on the drivers side?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Moderator My location Mach1Tom (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ray, If I'm reading my factory Parts Book correctly, both mounts should be the same.

68-70.... Kadett (1.5-1.9 eng) # 684273 MOUNT (damper)eng. frt mtg

71-72.... 31-36-39 "........." # 684273 " ............................... "

~ Tom

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Engine mounts

Kinda funny, I replaced my mounts on the 70 Rallye tonight. I found the transmission mount plays an inportant part on the Kadett, so make sure it is good as well. I then simply chained the front of the engine and hoisted it up to replace the mounts. A lot easier of a job than the GT for sure. Bolt access is a little easier. The mounts are the same, and the GT carries the same number as well
    Keith
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    ... A lot easier of a job than the GT for sure. Bolt access is a little easier...
    Why is a GT harder? I need to replace my GT's engine and transmission mounts and haven't figured out yet how to approach it.

I was thinking of maybe using a floor jack under the engine, then dropping the cross member. Would this be the best way?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are two pics of the mounts I was sent. One is larger and has a longer stud on the top.

When I got them in the mail last fall I noticed they were different in size but I thought thats the way they should be..........a larger one for one side and a smaller one on the other side.

Otto.........help.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To be honest, it looks like you get the same part from different manufacturers. The difference is slight, but, I don't think it's going to matter much.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Engine mounts

The GT's mounts are a little harder to get to is all, and the car sits a little lower in the front. The mounts are on the crossmember on the Kadett, and they are slightly forward where you can with ease remove the lower bolt. In a GT they are a little harder to get to is all IMHO.
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Morley View Post
    Here are two pics of the mounts I was sent. One is larger and has a longer stud on the top. ..
    The one on the right in the first picture has an OPEL logo moulded on to it - the left hand one has not - so it is probably a 'cheapie' knock-off copy.
    Guess which one is correct!

I suppose you could always put a spacer under the short one ... until you find another genuine OPEL one ......
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Nickolas
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just did the same thing on my 72 gt

While the engine was propped up, we took the crossmember down and cleaned the years of leaking old sludge off of it and the motor mounts basically fell out. Quick replacements came from ogts. We went ahead and did that while we were replacing the seal on the oil pan. It is much easier(although still a pain) to get to.

Downloads
    Uploads

old and new motor mounts

Thanks for the advice on my motor mount questions last week.

I had no problems at all changing them and to my surprise I discovered that when I took the old mounts out the larger one was on the drivers side and the smaller one was on the passenger side.

My main concern with my original posting was that my two new mounts were different sizes.

The old mounts were in terrible shape and much smaller in size compared to the newer ones due to age and wear. After installation the engine ran much smoother with virtually no vibration at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the GT engine sits at a slight angle so it would stand to reason a smaller mount would have been on the right side where it sits lower. I believe Gil at OGTS had told me once that even the metal motor mount bracket which attaches to the engine was a little different left and right sides.

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    ... the metal motor mount bracket which attaches to the engine was a little different left and right sides.
    The metal brackets ARE different but I don't recall there being any difference in the actual mounts themselves. Unless it is accidental because of variations between manufacturers.

Harold

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Kadett mounts and the GT mounts

The mounts are different, but do not affect tilt angle. The Kadett does not tilt, but the engine mount ear on the driver's side is a lot longer, but no tilt is incorporated on that car as far as I can tell. The engine oil pan sits level and close to the front suspension cross member on those. The GT's tilt due to the engine cradle, for air cleaner clearance. All the mounts are the same, we are seeing differences due to manufacturing and extreme wear. The GT's engine mount ears are different, even in parts books. What is different, I don't know" I think hole location, but the driver's side is indicated by a small dot or indention by the mount's hole on that side.
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought the mounts on a GT tend to get squashed more on the passenger side due to them being close to the heat of the exhaust manifold.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ungermm View Post
    I thought the mounts on a GT tend to get squashed more on the passenger side due to them being close to the heat of the exhaust manifold.
    That's exactly my experience with my GT, and from Ray's photo, common to Kadetts as well
    Keith Wilford
    I'm back consulting, but full time now, so I have less time but more money to work on my bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Angles ...

Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    ... The GT's engine mount ears are different, even in parts books. What is different, I don't know" I think hole location, but the driver's side is indicated by a small dot or indention by the mount's hole on that side.
    Keith
    The diference is that one side angles up - the other down to compensate for the 7 degree angle the motor sit on with the GT. Also one has the engine mount hole further away from the motor than the other - the actual metal brackets are not interchangable from side to side.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Degree tilt

No if you set the engine cradle down and look at it in the frontward view, one post of the engine mount is taller than the other. I don't think the tilt is quite 7 degrees as this has been discussed. Then mount ears off the engine do not have a 7 degree tilt on one side to the other that I can see with them side to side. I think I am going to pull out all the pieces and settle it once and for all about this tilt factor. I will measure everything, and check angles on the mounts with an angle finder. And then post my information
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

A few resources to be noted

Okay, here is the engine mount for a GT. Both rubber mounts are the same. The Driver's side measures taller at 7 to 7-1/2 inches tall from the flat of the frame rail mount to the lower edge of the rubber mount. This is from where it would mount in the car. The passenger side is about 6 inches tall. That is a 1-1/2 difference. The cradle is looking from the back of the car to the front. The engine mounts have no apparent tilt than from the other ( Although I have not put an angle finder against the two. The both measure 4 inches long. The driver's side hole is right at 3 inches from the mounting point of the block, the passenger side measures 4 inches, but it's mounting hole is about 3-3/8 inch from the engine mounting flange. The drivers mount ear has a small dimple directly from the outside of the mount hole to indicate what side it is. I think this only affects centering of the engine to the chassis, like the Kadett. I do not believe it affects tilt at all. Please do not through in the fact of the shims that are located between the engine cradle mounts and the body frame rail. They are both the same thickness, and do not affect tilt. The intake is not a good point to measure tilt from, as it has been verified that Opel made different height intakes on 1.9s. I'm not sure the exact tilt yet of the engine, but if there is anything to add to this that I have overlooked, please inform us, as this is about the 10th time this has been discussed within the last year it seems. Lets lay it all out.:banghead:
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing about this forum is...............

A simple question can sure lead into a long informative thread. As long as we can all benefit from the information provided it makes this forum worth it weight in gold!

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Answers

Yeah Ray, did you get all the info you needed? Kind of funny how these lead. I found that a lot of questions pertaining Kadetts, led to a GT discussion, because everyone assumes the car is identical underneath. They are not!!!
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Thread Information