Value of early 1969 GT?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Value of early 1969 GT?

Opeler Elmerk is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Value of early 1969 GT?

I have located what I am told is an early 1969 GT with the 1.9 liter engine. It has a two-piece front bumper and the rear panel is flat. The body is in rough condition. My question is, is this car rare enough to justify an extensive restoration? Is an early 69 worth any more than a later model in similar condition? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Site Admin My location Gary will become famous soon enough Gary will become famous soon enough Gary's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you know what the VIN number is? If so, you can compare it to the ones on this list to see how early in the '69 model year it was. There also is a frame number (UXXXX) (Karosserie-Nr. on that list) stamped on the top drivers side of the radiator support which will also give a clue as to how early a GT it is. If viewing the underside of the car is possible, a date is stamped into the body where the pan hard bar on the rear end connects to the body.

No real answer to your value question unless it ends up being one of the 1968 models registered/titled as a '69.

Adding that info (along with the color codes from the VIN tag) to that list will add to the info on that spreadsheet.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.

Senior Member kwschumm is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmerk View Post
    I have located what I am told is an early 1969 GT with the 1.9 liter engine. It has a two-piece front bumper and the rear panel is flat. The body is in rough condition. My question is, is this car rare enough to justify an extensive restoration? Is an early 69 worth any more than a later model in similar condition? Thanks.
    Hardly any Opel is rare enough to justify an extensive restoration if getting your money back out of it is the end goal. If you have other reasons then they factor into the decision. Maybe you just like the car, or it was your first car, or you just want to restore something. Then it may be worth the money spent but you would be paying for the enjoyment of the restoration and pride of ownership afterward rather than the value of the restored car.

Opelitis since 1984 My location GoinManta is on a distinguished road GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As Gary said, depends on if it's a true 68 or a 69.. you do have a good start as it is a split bumper. Meaning it should be a French built car (Early GTs 68 and mix of some 69s ) were assumed to have been hand built at the French body facility, to fit up the bodies and assure initial quality control. This is not fully substantiated, Opel books, internal documents, anecdotal evidence, and Opel folklore over the years have pretty much dictated that this is fact as close as we can get to "fact".

As you can tell as much is known of the 68 GT, an equal amount is unknown. But the spreadsheet which Gary mentioned is the starting point. As far as I can tell only one or two have officially documented a 1968 in the wild since the spreadsheet was started.

What we know is these are some of the earliest GTs, and numbers fluctuate. One document puts the number of Pre-September 1968s at 121 with 31 imported into the US. There was also another internal Opel document that put the number closer to about 541 were built there (Listing 12 1.1L models as well). This is where "Logic" and "best guess" come into play.. The theory is the second document, documents the number built in France, the first the number of Pre-September built cars.

Anecdotal evidence suggests the French GTs were the only GTs to get the split bumpers. As all GTs documented to be built at the main plant have been found with full bumpers. So if you have a split bumper car, the chances are high (if not 100%) its a French built car. Other anecdotal evidence suggests all 1968 GTs should have the split bumper, meaning they were initial quality control cars and again should have been built in France. Also if memory serves, some of the French cars have been noted to not have split bumpers. Which could mean (IF the 541 number is correct) they ran a batch of 500 (Makes for a nice even number) of split bumpers, they didnt fit well and then they changed to the single bumper. Which again using a best guess scenario, means there are 500 cars with split bumpers and 41 with standard bumper all built in France. Again no way to "know" exactly, but using the info we have at hand that would be the best guess.

I can tell you the split bumper alone is worth purchasing the car (depending on price) as its a rare piece that some Opel GT owners of early 69s' would love to have. Especially German collectors. If it's a 68 (OR even very early 69) its worth buying and selling to Germany no matter what. As I am 100% positive a GT of such early lineage would be worth a ground up restoration to the right person (More than likely a deep pocketed German) if its done by the book.

That all said, value is in the eye of the beholder.. I would definitely say a car of this vintage (especially if it proves to be a French built car.. The stamping Gary mentioned will determine that) it is one of the rarest and most historically significant GTs and should be restored to OEM condition with NOS or at minimum OEM parts. Will this increase its value over other GTs ? That would depend on the quality of the restoration and the buyer. I would think it would definitely make it more desirable from a buyers perspective. Would it make it worth more ?? Thats anyones guess.

Whats the VIN number?

Quote Originally Posted by Opel GT Identification guide

Early 1969 Models (anything built after August of 68), can have a few of these clues, if not all of them, but true 68s’ were only built prior to 8/68, anything else is close but no cookie. Also note that all ‘68s were 1.9L – 4speeds, if the car has a 1.1L or an Automatic it cannot be a ‘68.

Starting Chassis # : Unknown ( 1 551 000 ?)

Production Numbers:

Records indicate that only 31 were imported into the US, 121 total were built. Some records, however, show a total production of 541. It’s possible that the numbers are more like 541 produced in the year 1968 with 121 built prior to August 1968. Also conflicting is the fact that I have read old internal Opel documents which mentioned that all ‘68 GTs were only of the 1.9L variety. BUT, the records that indicated the higher 541 production number indicate there were 12 - 1.1L versions. All this makes the confirmation of the build date that much more important. While a finding a ‘68 GT would indeed be rare, confirming a 1.1L ‘68 would be this side of finding a Convertible AAR Plymouth ‘Cuda.

Note that even if the GT fits ALL of these criteria, what looks like a ‘68 could still be an early ‘69. I recently “Un-confirmed” a ‘68 GT that was VERY close, it had a split bumper, flat back panel, “H” head, No A.I.R. emissions, no W on the speedometer and in every way seemed to be a ‘68. BUT, the build date on the speedo and ammeter was 11/68, making it a VERY early ‘69
    Last edited by GoinManta; 02-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    CURRENT
    '06 Pontiac GTO - "Betty"
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Ben's Manta"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Atlas" ( 2.8L LK5 (175hp) w/ 4whl Discs )

In the past owned:
    At least 20 or more Opels / 2 Bitters - '85 Bitter SC (#491 / #439? ), '73 Commodore GS, At least a dozen Mantas (Including a Blue Max), 2 GTs and a few misc Ascona and Kadett parts cars

Mid-West Opeler My location sawdust is on a distinguished road sawdust's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do you know what the VIN number is? If so, you can compare it to the ones on this list to see how early in the '69 model year it was........

Anybody know if this database is modifiable/updateable.....?
    Projekt 2014 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

Opelitis since 1984 My location GoinManta is on a distinguished road GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes.. you can put your info at the bottom of the screen..
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    At least 20 or more Opels / 2 Bitters - '85 Bitter SC (#491 / #439? ), '73 Commodore GS, At least a dozen Mantas (Including a Blue Max), 2 GTs and a few misc Ascona and Kadett parts cars

Site Admin My location Gary will become famous soon enough Gary will become famous soon enough Gary's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Page translated by Google Translate

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Yes.. you can put your info at the bottom of the screen..
    I definitely did not make myself clear. I have my incomplete data already entered into the database. I would like to enter more data for a car that I registered 4 yrs ago.

I must understand the "New Opel GT Register" wrong unless there is another method to enter data.

Other Cars:

Moderator My location Ooooner is on a distinguished road Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did "split bumper" GT's have a 1.9L Engine? I thought they didn't come in GT's until 1970.... (Or mid-69's)
    Roy Bell
    1973 GT
    1972 1900 Wagon
    1974 Manta Rallye
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club
    OMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do you know what the VIN number is? If so, you can compare it to the ones on this list to see how early in the '69 model year it was. There also is a frame number (UXXXX) (Karosserie-Nr. on that list) stamped on the top drivers side of the radiator support which will also give a clue as to how early a GT it is. If viewing the underside of the car is possible, a date is stamped into the body where the pan hard bar on the rear end connects to the body.

No real answer to your value question unless it ends up being one of the 1968 models registered/titled as a '69.

Adding that info (along with the color codes from the VIN tag) to that list will add to the info on that spreadsheet.
    The VIN is 94-1685673. The frame number is U1477. I spent a bit of time scraping undercoating from the area around the Panhard bar anchor, but so far I have not found a date. The color code is DD 751.

Opeler Anonymous D is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The VIN code indicates the car is an early January 1969 Opel GT, which came equipped with many parts first introduced in 1968 like the split front bumper and the 1.9 liter engine.

http://www.opelclub.com/html/what_year_is_it_.html

Chilton states that #94-1681527 represented the start of the month for January 1969 production GT's, although due to a factual error they misprinted it as the start of the 1970 model year. It quite likely would have included parts forwarded by suppliers in or prior to December 1968, including the more obscure ones like the shorter seats, but that alone doesn't make it exceptionally rare as many other 1969 GT's have those parts too.

The "DD" factory paint color code on the VIN plate correlates to "Aztec Gold". There is conflicting paint formula information on the true blend of this color, which could be Ditzler Enamel 23200 but is not confirmed, as there was a similar "Regal Gold" applied at the same time to other Opel models.
    Last edited by Anonymous D; 02-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.

άber Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Throwing all the database stuff out the window, I will say that of all the Opel GTs I have owned over the years, I liked both of my 69s the best. Of course it doesn't hurt that my first two were 69s.

And for the post above... Both of my 69s had 1.9 motors.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    Did "split bumper" GT's have a 1.9L Engine? I thought they didn't come in GT's until 1970.... (Or mid-69's)
    If the 541 number is accurate, and only those cars were the ones with split bumpers, then it would stand to reason the majority were 1.9l.

Again what we know is pretty limited to what I posted above, and even some of that is anecdotal and based on limited information. That said 1.1L versions are rare in general and most GTs from the beginning were 1.9L, and most if not all 68 models are 1.9L.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-17-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:

Opeler Steve Daniels is on a distinguished road Steve Daniels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 69 gt with a front split bumper 941703111 is the vin# has the flat rear panel Silver w/ red int. it's build date is Nov.-Dec. car is in storage now.
    I also have a 69 gt silver w/red int. 1.1 with solid front bumper 10-69 stamped build date I have noticed on the middle of the cross member looking thru the front grill area where the front bumper brackets bolt to.
    Both of these cars are very rusty junk I am restoring! Not for resale but for the love of the cars!! I wish I could found them 30 years ago!!!!
    Attached Images

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I definitely did not make myself clear. I have my incomplete data already entered into the database. I would like to enter more data for a car that I registered 4 yrs ago.

I must understand the "New Opel GT Register" wrong unless there is another method to enter data.
    Hans, You could update the info at the bottom and in the "Features" block put "Attn: Rόdiger - Updated information"

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After looking at it, I thought the best thing to do was eMail the info and let Rόdiger update the database.

Other Cars:

Member jerseyopel is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

car

I think 'Anonymous' D hit it on the head.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-17-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Striving for World Peace one step at a time!

Opeler 69OpelGT1.1L is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    I have a 69 gt with a front split bumper 941703111 is the vin# has the flat rear panel Silver w/ red int. it's build date is Nov.-Dec. car is in storage now.
    I also have a 69 gt silver w/red int. 1.1 with solid front bumper 10-69 stamped build date I have noticed on the middle of the cross member looking thru the front grill area where the front bumper brackets bolt to.
    Both of these cars are very rusty junk I am restoring! Not for resale but for the love of the cars!! I wish I could found them 30 years ago!!!!
    Wow, I had a 69 silver/red 1.1L GT back in the day, mine was a one piece front bumper, I'll have to look for VIN number on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    I have a 69 gt with a front split bumper 941703111 is the vin# has the flat rear panel Silver w/ red int. it's build date is Nov.-Dec.
    How did you determine the build date since the date you gave is different from what the list of VINs by month would indicate? I'm not arguing, just asking?

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmerk View Post
    How did you determine the build date ?
    look on the drivers side door, below the latch. there usually is a label with the build date month and year taped there. could be removed or painted over.... just a thought.

Edit: or door replaced
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-18-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: another option

Other Cars:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information