Need Help With Opel GT History
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need Help With Opel GT History

Real Name
    Derrick
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need Help With Opel GT History

So, I've found about seven different accounts on the history of the GT and all of them seem to be different. One says that it and the corvette had nothing to do with each other (don't know how seeing as I was always told they were designed by the same person), the next says the gt ripped off of the corvette , the next says the gt came first, and another says the gt came first but was de-tuned to help keep the corvettes from having competition and that the de-tuned ones were the only ones to hit our shores. Similar to the story of Harley and the 700cc tariff of the 80s.

So, my question is, does anyone have a link to the real history of the GT? I need it for a school project.

EDIT:Thanks to the Mod that moved this to the right location.
    Last edited by Ineca GT; 01-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an article called "Making the Baby Corvette" I can send you. PM me your personal email if you want it.

As I understand it, it was GT first back in '62, then some input/output from/to the Corvette folks, then the unused plans for the new Corvair/Monza that Nader squelched. The rest of what you mentioned seems correct.

I also have pics of the new Corvair/Monza prototypes.

2000 Post Club My location poor gt (R.I.P)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GM even put the Opel release date back 6 mo., so the Opel on steroids (corvette) could come out first with no competition. You can see the change in the body style in the late 60's. to the Opel look. Also I thought the Opel was to get the gm all alum. 3.8 engine, but it would out run the corvette, so they didn't:banghead: in order to keep the vet., the true American sports car. The same designers worked on both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club My location
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The argument will go on and on between the Opel GT community and the Corvette community as to which was a knockoff of which. The Opel GT was designed in 1964? and made a debut at an auto show in 1965 as a prototype. The C3 Corvette didn't debut until 1968.... do the math. By the way take a look at the pics of the GT prototype designed in 1964 and look how much the 1968 Corvette resembles the GT prototype. I think anyone who insists the GT is a Corvette knock off, hasn't seen the pics of the GT prototype that came out before the C3 Vette.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article that does a good job at giving you info on the GT:

Opel GT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opel GT Source also sells a book called Opel GT Ultimate Portfolio that gives an in depth history and pics:

Opel GT Source --- Online Store

Opel GT Source also sells a DVD entitled "Driving the Dream"

Hope these help with your research and report.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grslightng02; 01-25-2013 at 01:33 AM.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is my understanding that the most authoritative account of the history of the Opel GT is the book "Opel GT: Projekt 1484." The book was written by Etienne Henrion and Stefan Mueller. It is understood that these authors had rather free access to all of Opel's records on the GT development. The book does not carry a publication date. It is written in German and is out of print and quite hard to find. A few of the people on this forum have copies. The book comes up on German Ebay from time to time, where it sells for about 100 Euros, plus shipping to the US. The ISBN number is
    3-86133-170-5 Bill

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the opportunity to meet with Erhard Schnell (the Father of the GT) 4 times when I was in Germany last year. He showed us sketches of his designs of the GT from the early 1960's. The GT sketches below were from 1963.

Stefan Mueller is to my right in the group photo.

He told us an interesting story about the T-tops drawing... When he showed it to the head of design (Lutz?) in 1967, he was told "No, you will not do that". The next year the Corvette came out with T-tops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    P.J. Romano and MikeNotigan like this.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Derrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's nice to see that my ideas for how it happened were actually a lot closer to what probably than I had previously thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I have an article called "Making the Baby Corvette" I can send you. PM me your personal email if you want it.

As I understand it, it was GT first back in '62, then some input/output from/to the Corvette folks, then the unused plans for the new Corvair/Monza that Nader squelched. The rest of what you mentioned seems correct.

I also have pics of the new Corvair/Monza prototypes.
    I actually have and was going to use that article, but wasn't sure how close to the truth it is. Think it'd be a good thing to use? New prototypes?, they aren't hideous are they?

Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    GM even put the Opel release date back 6 mo., so the Opel on steroids (corvette) could come out first with no competition. You can see the change in the body style in the late 60's. to the Opel look. Also I thought the Opel was to get the gm all alum. 3.8 engine, but it would out run the corvette, so they didn't:banghead: in order to keep the vet., the true American sports car. The same designers worked on both.
    I had always figured that even though they were designed by the same person, the reason why the GT was underpowered was because they didn't want a foreign car destroying their 'Murican flagship model. I know that there is another car that this happened to that no one really seemed to notice, it's at the tip of my toungue but I just cant get it.

Quote Originally Posted by grslightng02 View Post
    The argument will go on and on between the Opel GT community and the Corvette community as to which was a knockoff of which. The Opel GT was designed in 1964? and made a debut at an auto show in 1965 as a prototype. The C3 Corvette didn't debut until 1968.... do the math. By the way take a look at the pics of the GT prototype designed in 1964 and look how much the 1968 Corvette resembles the GT prototype. I think anyone who insists the GT is a Corvette knock off, hasn't seen the pics of the GT prototype that came out before the C3 Vette.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article that does a good job at giving you info on the GT:

Opel GT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opel GT Source also sells a book called Opel GT Ultimate Portfolio that gives an in depth history and pics:

Opel GT Source also sells a DVD entitled "Driving the Dream"

Hope these help with your research and report.
    I am actually not doing a report, I've decided to do something a little more inventive. Which is why it has to be an electronic article. The dates do make a lot of sense and I've noticed that, especially when you consider what the vette looked like just before. It was almost a total redesign, and given recent vettes C4(?) through c6, total redesigns don't seem to be their schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    It is my understanding that the most authoritative account of the history of the Opel GT is the book "Opel GT: Projekt 1484." The book was written by Etienne Henrion and Stefan Mueller. It is understood that these authors had rather free access to all of Opel's records on the GT development. The book does not carry a publication date. It is written in German and is out of print and quite hard to find. A few of the people on this forum have copies. The book comes up on German Ebay from time to time, where it sells for about 100 Euros, plus shipping to the US. The ISBN number is
    3-86133-170-5 Bill
    I'll keep an eye out, doubt I can afford that price tag though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I had the opportunity to meet with Erhard Schnell (the Father of the GT) 4 times when I was in Germany last year. He showed us sketches of his designs of the GT from the early 1960's. The GT sketches below were from 1963.

Stefan Mueller is to my right in the group photo.

He told us an interesting story about the T-tops drawing... When he showed it to the head of design (Lutz?) in 1967, he was told "No, you will not do that". The next year the Corvette came out with T-tops.
    Reminds me of the movie, The hudsucker proxy. Not much we can do now though. I mean besides tune our GTs to how we feel they should have been and keep turning more heads than a vette can.

Mid-West Opeler My location sawdust's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineca GT View Post
    ............ I know that there is another car that this happened to that no one really seemed to notice, it's at the tip of my toungue but I just cant get it.........
    could be this beauty,,,

Message - Opel Photo Gallery
    Projekt 2017 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

Real Name
    Derrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    could be this beauty,,,

Ding Ding Ding. That's it. After looking into it some more it seems like all the cars of that era had a twirl of influence and are all intertwined.

No....its not a Buick.... My location yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    could be this beauty,,,

Hans, I have to admit....... I'd dump my GT in a heartbeat for that car!!!!! I've been in lust with that thing for years.
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to around 150 mark and they talk about how the corvette opel Gt were developed off of it. Designed by delorean

Dale .D likes this.

Mid-West Opeler My location sawdust's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link to more designs by Delorean:

Image Search Results for delorean car design influences
    Projekt 2017 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineca GT View Post
    I had always figured that even though they were designed by the same person, the reason why the GT was underpowered was because they didn't want a foreign car destroying their 'Murican flagship model. I know that there is another car that this happened to that no one really seemed to notice, it's at the tip of my toungue but I just cant get it.
    My Fiero friends say the say thing happened to their car, that GM backed off on offering it with a V8 after the Corvette crowd protested.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    My Fiero friends say the say thing happened to their car, that GM backed off on offering it with a V8 after the Corvette crowd protested.
    To make matters worse, back in '81 or '82 Chevy stuck a Citation (X-11 spec) 2.8 V6 into a Chevette. Made for a cheap fun prototype that was slated for production, but the project was quickly axed when they found it was 2/10's quicker in the 1/4 mile than a current model Corvette.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads

Son Of Stingray

Derrick,
    THE definitive Opel GT history was written up on the website Ate Up With Motor, Son of Stingray: The 1969-1973 Opel GT
    titled, Son of Stingray. This website and story was brought to our attention here early last year by fellow member Ron Ross. Also, the DVD Driving the Dream, sold at Opel GT Source is a great history and includes a lot of camera time by GT designer Erhard Schnell. Another must have for the GT fan.
    Take Care,
    Mike

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

GT vs Corvette

Here is some information I have been able to piece together

It seems both cars have their roots with the design team of Larry Shinoda and Tony Lapine who worked on the Monza GT coupe in the spring of 1962. The Monza GT was a pet project of Bill Mitchell who was the VP of GM styling and wanted the Monza GT in production. Mitchell had a secret workshop called Studio X that designed cars which is where Shinoda and Lapine worked. Mitchell saw the Monza GT as the successor to the Corvette Stingray but had little management support, especially since Chevy ran things at GM and did not want competition to its prized corvette.
    Meanwhile, in 1961 the Opel managing director, Nelson Stork, was creating an Opel design center and wanted some young US design talent so Mitchell arranged for interviews with some of his top designers. Clare MacKichan was chosen and in 1962 Clare went to Opel. Clare establishes a new Advanced design group and Erhard Schnell heads the design group. In 1962 Schnell draws sketches of what became known as the Experimental GT. In 1964, Tony Lapine joins the Opel design studio and brings with him his background of the Monza GT design. The design group works on models, scale models, etc and ultimately shows the Experimental GT at the Frankfort Auto Show in 1965. MacKichan has said that the Opel GT was influenced by the Monza GT which Bill Mitchell was always find of.
    After the enthusiastic response at the Frankfort show, the Opel GT was slated for production abd Clare MacKichan called in Chuck Jordan to restyled the GT for production. Chuck was instrumental in the design if the 58. Yes 58 Corvette and in 1962 was the executive in charge of Automotive Design and was responsible fir all GM car and truck exteriors. From 1967 to 1970 Chuck Jordan was the design director for Opel and was responsible for the final 1968 Opel gt production car.
    it seems that GM was impressed with Clare Mackichan's work with the Opel GT and is asked to return to the US in 1967 to become the Director if Advanced Styling and ultimately recontour the 68 Corvette.

As a couple side notes
    MacKichan always said the Opel GT came first
    Bill Mitchell always like the Monza GT and ultimately saw its design used in the Opel GT
    Larry Shinoda and Tony Lapine of the Monza Gt fame seem to be the strong influence of both the Opel GT and the C3 Corvette
    Shinoda designed the Mako Shark
    Lapine was recruited from Opel to Porsche to become chief designer and developed the Porsche 928
    Pontiac used the Monza GT as a strong influence for the Ned Nichols designed 1965 Pontiac Banshee that John DeLorean as Head of the Pontiac motor division revealed to the GM execs as the answer to the Ford Mustang, but the 14th floor was fearful that the Banshee would cut into its Corvette sales so GM stopped funding for the Banshee

That's what I've summized. Edward Olli
    Last edited by efo1206; 10-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    sawdust likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Refer back to The Son of Stingray article, the Opel GT: Driving The Dream DVD and the newly released Projekt 1484 book for the real deal on the design.......

Clare MacKichan was certainly not a young man at all when he was tapped to go to Opel. But Erhard Schnell and his select team was, including Mourad Nasr. MacKichan was a veteran GM man in this point of his life, asked to go over to Germany to help aid in the styling of the plain, basic Opel lineup.....spice it up, American style.

Bill Mitchell WAS Corvette; well, co-author, as I believe Zora Duntov had much to say about that. Larry Shinoda designed Mako Shark II, under the direction and influence of Bill Mitchell. This car, modified for production by David Holls and Henry Haga, was toned down a bit and became the 68 Corvette. Clare MacKichan or Chuck Jordan had nothing to do with this car.

The DVD is a treasure for me because the man himself, Schnell, tells the viewer how the design came about. You can't get no first hand then that.

All interesting cars and designers you bring up, but I believe the story is a little bit off center! Review the 3 sources I mentioned for further guidance!

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Making the Baby Corvette" by Mike Lamm

Was Opel's short-lived GT really a Corvette clone, or did the inspiration flow
    two ways across the Atlantic? Mike Lamm looks into the third generation's
    baby brother.

People call it "the baby Corvette." And there's no question that the 1968-'73
    Opel GT and the 1968-'73 Corvette C3 look a lot alike. Nor did that similarity
    come about by accident.

I became curious about the design connections between the GT and C3 a few
    months ago, after buying myself a pristine, one-owner '70 Opel GT. Not only
    was the little coupe surprisingly fun to drive, but in the course of researching
    its background I discovered that a familiar name was in charge of all Opel
    styling during the model's development—none other than Clare (Mac)
    MacKichan.

If that name rings a bell, it's because Mac was responsible for the design of
    the classic 1955-'57 Chevrolets, the '57 Corvette SS, and many other
    important Chevys. I interviewed him several times before he passed away in
    '96, and I knew that he'd headed the Chevrolet studio from '52 to '62, first
    under Harley Earl and then under Bill Mitchell.

As I continued my preliminary research, the question became: Did one car
    exert an influence on the other? And, if so, which lent its lines to which? Was
    the GT truly a "baby Corvette," or did the C3 come about as a larger version
    of the Opel—a GT on steroids?

One misconception I frequently ran into was the recurring contention that
    Corvette designer Larry Shinoda was the man behind the GT's final design. I
    soon discovered this was certainly not the case; Shinoda, whatever his role
    in shaping Corvettes over the years, had nothing to do with the GT.
    On Clare MacKichan's 44th birthday, 10 March 1962, Mitchell sent him to
    Russelsheim, Germany, to take over Opel's small, provincial design
    department. Mitchell promised to bring him back to Detroit within five years
    and, at the same time, instructed Mac to change Opel's image. Give Opel
    some style, he told MacKichan; make it, in the words of Chuck Jordan, "less
    of a German farmer's car."

Mac promptly oversaw construction of a new, larger Opel Design building and
    quadrupled the size of its staff. He also soon noticed young Opel designer
    Erhard Schnell doodling sketches of small, handsome sport coupes. Schnell
    had been sketching these designs on his own since before MacKichan got
    there.

On the strength of Schnell's drawings and enthusiasm, Mac made the young
    stylist manager of a new advanced-design group and specifically asked him
    to refine his sport-coupe ideas. Mac saw such a car as a natural way to
    appeal to a younger, less farmerly set of potential Opel buyers.
    Erhard Schnell was born in 1927 and grew up in Frankfurt, Germany. In
    1944, at age 17, he was inducted into the German navy and promptly
    captured by Allied forces, who imprisoned him until the end of 1945. Upon
    his release he enrolled in an art school in Offenbach, graduating in 1950.
    Schnell initially worked as a graphic artist for an ad agency and also for a
    manufacturer of automotive instruments. He joined Opel in 1952 and
    essentially stayed in Russelsheim until his retirement in 1991. Schnell
    speaks and writes English fluently, and he informed me that the Opel GT was
    only one of many designs he's proud of. Others include the Opel Rekord C,
    Manta A, Senator A, Vectra A and B, and the stunning Opel Calibra coupe.
    Schnell currently lives in a village near Russelsheim.
    Starting in the fall of 1962, Schnell and his small advanced-design group
    began generating a number of clay and fiberglass models aimed toward
    making a producible sport coupe. They worked pretty much in secret,
    Schnell's original goal being to give the new car a distinctly German look.
    The work finally progressed into a concept car called the Opel GT—a show
    car whose styling had yet to develop the overtly American themes of the
    later production machine.

The GT had been done on the QT, very quietly, without much awareness on
    the part of Opel's upper management. "Mac was waiting for the right
    moment," Schnell told me. That moment came, apparently, when MacKichan
    put the GT concept on the Opel stand at the Frankfurt Motor Show in
    September of 1965. Suddenly there it stood, and most of Opel's upper
    management had a hard time getting their minds around it.

This was no farmer's car. In fact, stylistically, the GT show car went far
    beyond anything Opel executives felt very comfortable dealing with. It was,
    as the saying goes, totally outside the box. Most of the division's German
    executives were genuinely shocked, and MacKichan picked up on it
    immediately. He also realized that, for the moment at least, this would
    probably make it difficult to convince Opel to build the GT.

Fortunately, MacKichan's boss, Bill Mitchell, arrived at the Frankfurt show
    soon after it opened. According to Chuck Jordan, who succeeded MacKichan
    at Opel in 1967, Mitchell rarely missed a major European auto show, and
    whenever he traveled abroad—maybe four times a year—he nearly always
    stopped in at Opel Design. Mitchell felt that those were good times to check
    design progress firsthand and to make small course corrections if and when
    they were needed.

Other attendees at the 1965 Frankfurt show included GM chairman Fred
    Donner and GM's overseas vice president Semon E. (Bunkie) Knudsen.
    Unlike Opel's own management, Mitchell, Donner, and Knudsen weren't at all
    shocked to see the GT concept. In fact, they quite liked it. While the show
    car didn't yet have the feel of a producible, finished design, they sensed that
    a sporty two-seater could be just the thing Opel needed to give its image a
    swift kick up the desirability ladder.

One Opel executive who wasn't shocked, and who lobbied early on for the
    GT's production, was Robert A. Lutz—GM's current vice-chairman—who was
    then working as a lowly Opel marketing executive. Lutz recalls that, "The
    original [Opel GT program] was started in '62 by Mac MacKichan. It was
    wider and flatter than the ultimate production version, and it did not have
    the C3's 'swollen' front fenders. The early design was more Germaniclooking,
    like something Porsche might have done.

"I encouraged Opel (I was very junior at the time) to put the car in the
    Frankfurt show. It proved to be quite a sensation, and after a lot of internal
    hassle and corporate criticism from Detroit (how dare we show a concept car
    without prior permission?!), we actively planned production."
    Donner, Knudsen, and Mitchell also encouraged Opel's top management to
    produce the GT—and, predictably, within a very short time the project was
    given approval. Production was scheduled for late 1968. Opel engineering
    promptly recommended using the company's small, economical Kadett
    platform and the 1.9-liter Four from the Kadett Rallye and Opel Rekord.
    Mitchell, meanwhile, suggested to MacKichan and Schnell that the production
    GT should be made to look more American, since he felt—rightly, it turned
    out—that most Opel GTs would be sold by US Buick dealers. Start, Mitchell
    instructed MacKichan, by looking at the styling cues that had first appeared
    on the Corvair Monza SS roadster and Monza GT coupe, a pair of American
    concept cars shown for the first time in '62.

Both Monzas pointed toward the styling direction Mitchell already had in
    mind for the 1967 (later moved back to '68) Corvette; now he wanted to
    expand their example to the new Opel GT. Mitchell also called MacKichan's
    attention to the Mako Shark II concept, which was first seen in public in April
    of 1965, five months before the Opel show car’s Frankfurt debut. While the
    Mako Shark II did contain all the key styling elements of the thirdgeneration
    Corvette, at the time Mitchell was guiding MacKichan no
    productionized version of the Chevrolet had been penned. To GM Design the
    twin Monzas, Mako II, and Opel GT were still just a series of showcars.
    According to Ed Taylor, a retired GM designer who became MacKichan's
    assistant at Opel in 1966 (George Gallion and Tony Lapine also joined Opel's
    design team around that time), Mac's routine was to talk with Mitchell once a
    week on the telephone. Mac would also send notes and photographs to his
    boss on a regular basis, and these images arrived as the design of the C3
    continued to evolve in Michigan. As a result, both cars—the GT and the C3—
    developed pretty much simultaneously from the same stylistic DNA.
    That said, one of Ed Taylor's particular assignments was to "Americanize" the
    GT—to make it look more like the upcoming C3 in detail. He did this by
    lifting the knife edges of the front fenders and refining details such as the
    parking lamps and bumpers. These modifications were minor, however,
    compared to the general proportions and themes which evolved on the cars
    independently.

In his email, Bob Lutz goes on that, "For cost and investment reasons, we
    based the production Opel GT on a modified Kadett platform, which caused,
    for me, the car's most significant aesthetic shortfall: track too narrow and
    wheels too far inboard. At any rate, once we were headed for production,
    Mac, as he did with everything, had to airmail weekly progress photos to Bill
    Mitchell. These would come back in due time, all marked up.
    "It was during this transition to a production version that the car started
    acquiring a strong visual resemblance to C3, son of Mako Shark II, one of
    Mitchell's favorites.... So, while the GT was neither precursor nor follower of
    the C3, both were driven by the common vision of the Mako Shark II, with
    Bill Mitchell acting as long-distance puppetmaster."
    Lutz also had a good deal to do with the production GT's handling and
    chassis refinement. Opel's own engineers and beancounters wanted to use
    the Kadett platform unchanged, meaning the engine would rest directly over
    the front-axle centerline. Schnell, in his 1965 GT showcar, had instead set
    the engine back nearly 16 inches to allow more horizontal taper to the front
    end.

Leaving the Kadett engine forward would not only spoil the GT's proportions
    but would also result in nose-heaviness and inferior handling. So Lutz and
    MacKichan had two Kadett mules built, one with the engine in the stock
    position and the other with it set back 16 inches. Lutz then invited Porsche
    test driver Hans Herrmann and champion racer Eberhard Mahle to evaluate
    the two cars, and both decided that the set-back mule worked best. The
    engineers agreed to build the production GT that way, relocating its engine
    15.75 inches behind the axle line.

"By the way," Lutz continued, "French racing ace Henri Greder later modified
    some Opel GTs with suspension kits, lowering them by about two inches.
    Greder also modified wheel offset to achieve about two inches of additional
    track width. That, coupled with period wide rubber, completely transformed
    the proportions of the car, lending great body-chassis relationship to what
    was, heretofore, merely a superbly surfaced body sitting on what appeared
    to be a skimpy chassis."

The production GT design was finished up under Chuck Jordan, whom
    Mitchell sent to Opel in '67 to relieve Clare MacKichan as promised. Jordan
    subsequently designed the handsome, highly successful Opel Rekord II and
    Manta coupes. Beyond that, he and George Gallion also conceived the Aero
    Opel GT, a jauntily restyled targa derivative with a removable roof, electric
    backlight, and Ferrari Dino-like flying buttresses. Opel built two Aero GTs for
    the '69 European show circuit. George Gallion eventually bought one of them
    and, at last report, had put over 20,000 miles on it.
    Getting back to the GT/C3 question, I think it's fair to say that neither car
    influenced the other as much as both came from common ancestors—most
    notably the two Monza concepts and the Mako Shark II. Chuck Jordan
    summed up the relationship for me with these words: "I don't think the Opel
    guys influenced the Detroit designers at all, in any way. The Detroit people
    looked down their noses at us Opel designers. I can say that, because I
    worked in both places. Opel was GM's country cousin. Mitchell would come
    over and pat us on the head and go have dinner with us, but I can't think of
    any influence that flowed back into Corvettes from the Opel GT." Yet if
    information flowed the opposite way, Jordan concludes, it was most likely
    due to MacKichan's "...intimate relationship with the marque," not to direct
    interference from Detroit. "[Mac] had really strong feelings for Corvettes. He
    loved to go watch them race at Elkhart.... He was just nuts for those cars.
    That probably had as much as anything to do with where that look came
    from."
    opelnut_1, Lindsay, wklopf and 2 others like this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been working up a short review of the Corvette Magazine article for The Blitz where in the end I encourage people to buy the back issue. It would be a nice addition to your Opel bookshelf, and it's only $10.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chevrolet Corvair Monza SR convertible, a prototype of the Monza SS showcar, built by the gentleman driving her. Just a mind blowing, beautiful car......

pumpkindriver likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information