How rare is my Opel?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How rare is my Opel?

Italian opel owner My location Mike Trout is on a distinguished road Mike Trout's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any possible way we can find out how many were produced in my color package,
    Gary I will go look on the car saturday and see what kind of numbers I can come up with
    Thanks, Mike
    Your Civic may have 1.6 Liters, But My Mountain Dew has 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location Jonzo is on a distinguished road Jonzo's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never seen statistics on the production of Opel GTs broken down by exterior colors. It'd be great if someone could find that information. I do know that the Silver exterior with red interior was only offered in 1969 (probably '68 too) on the US spec cars. 1971 US spec Opel GTs could also be silver, but only with a black interior as was my first GT back in 1980!
    The rest of the world had more latitude as far as color combos and they could still specify the silver exterior with red interior after 1969. (again according to the book "Opel GT Projekt 1484").
    Did you look at your GT's ID plate to verify the original color combo? What does it say next to the words Color/Farbe? The color code on the ID plate should clear up any confusion.
    -Jonzo
    Last edited by Jonzo; 02-23-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Senior Contributor My location asdasc is on a distinguished road asdasc's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just looking at what info I had on colors and have never really thought about it before, but I am suprised that in all the years of the GT they never offered black as an option. Hard to believe! Come to think of it, even in restorations, I haven't seen many folks paint them black. For those of you who have seen it, does it look good?
    Zarath likes this.
    Steve
    "ever notice you are never done tinkering with the GT?"
    Never mind, I am WAAAY beyond tinkering now...

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel is on a distinguished road neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oddly enough, I've owned two black GTs. My first one is pictured here:
    http://www.jdwheels.com/images/Opel%20GT%20Snyper.jpg

I think black is a great color on a GT. Long ago someone told me that Opel vowed NOT to make black cars because they were forced to make black cars for the the Nazi party during WWII. I always assumed that was urban legend...anyone else ever hear something along those lines? There are certainly black Opels in later years, but it is a color oddly missing from the days or our imported Opels. Anyone know the scoop?

Todd K.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

Opelitis since 1984 My location GoinManta is on a distinguished road GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ConreroGT
    25% is probably a good guess. Opel's in the US in general are pretty rare. Just to put "rare" into perspective: Did you know that since Ferrari started building cars in 1947 they've only produced around 80,000 cars? What were the Manta's production numbers in the US?
    Produced From: 1970 - 1975

Total Number Produced: 498,553

Don't have the breakdown US vs Europe, etc.. Did at one time though.

Just as the GT has its 68' the Manta does have a 70', a member here has one in a barn in GA.. one day.. it may just go missing if I find out where that barn is

Rare ones are the European special editions.

D.O.T. Turbo (U.K.) - 18 made

T/E 2800 - Under 100 (Holland?)

Black Magic - 75' GT/E Black with special seats, trim and paint (Germany?)

Swinger - 75' GT/E White with special trim.. (Germany ?)

Luxus - 400 (U.K. version, the US Luxus (Same name different car was fairly common)

Blue Max - All Blue w/ Sunroof and Vynil top (US - Only US special edition) - 300

I think I may have written this all up somewhere here.

Charles
    CURRENT
    '06 Pontiac GTO - "Betty"
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Ben's Manta"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Atlas" ( 2.8L LK5 (175hp) w/ 4whl Discs )

In the past owned:
    At least 20 or more Opels / 2 Bitters - '85 Bitter SC (#491 / #439 ? ), '73 Commodore GS, At least a dozen Mantas (Including a Blue Max), 2 GTs and a few misc Ascona and Kadett parts cars

Opeler My location ourcrew is on a distinguished road ourcrew's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess my son and I just joined the rare 69' 1.1 club. We just got it with a 72 and a ?parts car. The 69' is a flat back which i guess puts it earlier in 69'. From what I have read here, I plan on restoring it to stock the best we can.

Opeler jaxs is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

opel gt 69 with 1.1 twin carbs

I have had one since 1990 that is the same as yours. it is the silver. it is currently not drivable and my father in law sold the engine that was trashed. the body and all other parts are in tact so to answer your question. yes there are a few of them left.

Jaxs

The king of JDM lilgecko96 is on a distinguished road lilgecko96's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i also have a 69 1.1 dual carb in silver, didnt know it was rare though, so i should keep it stock then? just started the body work
    1996 ek9 civic
    1989 Supra Turbo Sport Roof
    1969 Opel Gt :banghead:
    http://www.sportcar.net/
    - everyones welcome to join

Member My location lezliewk lezliewk's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads

69 silver

I bought a new GT in 69,It was silver with red inside. 1.1 liter. I had it untill 70 when I bought a 70 GT, orange with black inside, wish i had the 69 back now.it got over 40 mpg on the highway. And it ran pretty good for a 67hp car. of course that was more hp than c.i. that was 65 c.i.. If I were you i would keep it like it came from the factory.
    Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Living in the past opelnut10 is on a distinguished road opelnut10's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

1100 Gt

If you have one of these cars and it is all or mostly there it would be a shame to chop it up. The 1100 GT was only offered in the SR motor option which has the 2 single barrel solex carburators and the the exhaust manifold with two pipes going into one. It is like anything else, it has to make you happy. They are not a tire frying high reving sit you back in the seat car. They are however something everyone does not have and are a lot of fun to drive, easy to work on and get very good gas mileage. I would love to have one to add to my collection, but Ms. Opel is not for sale so I doubt I can find one that meets my standardsD

Opeler My location OpelGT-de is on a distinguished road OpelGT-de's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    I've never seen statistics on the production of Opel GTs broken down by exterior colors. It'd be great if someone could find that information. I do know that the Silver exterior with red interior was only offered in 1969 (probably '68 too) on the US spec cars. 1971 US spec Opel GTs could also be silver, but only with a black interior as was my first GT back in 1980!
    The rest of the world had more latitude as far as color combos and they could still specify the silver exterior with red interior after 1969. (again according to the book "Opel GT Projekt 1484").
    Did you look at your GT's ID plate to verify the original color combo? What does it say next to the words Color/Farbe? The color code on the ID plate should clear up any confusion.
    -Jonzo
    Since 30 years a guy in Germany (Gunter) analyse every single Opel GT detail
    He looked over tons of Opel GTs around the world and keep records regarding each invidual detail,. i.e, VIN#, exterior and interior color, flat rearpanel or rearpanel with depression, ...stamped numbers on sheet metal parts.......etc...etc...etc...
    To this day his records fills a complete chamber.

Amongst others he did some analysis concerning GT exterior colors.
    Attached you see a small abstract.
    Unfortunately it is written in german, but it give a feeling how complex this stuff is.

Bis zur Fahrgestellnummer XX 1971459 ( 19.10.1969 ) hatten alle Opel GT den
    zweistelligen Farbcode, zum Beispiel JJ oder HH oder 15.
    Danach einen dreistelligen Farbcode. Dieser ist gleichzeitig die Endnummer der
    jeweiligen Farbbestellnummer.
    siber UU 135 metallic / falls silber 112 auf dem Typenschild steht ist das ein Fehler
    silberblau YY 230 metallic
    monzablau HH 235 metallic
    le mansblau 14 236 auch GT-J mittleres blau /auch auf dem GT-J
    limonengrün PP 303 metallic sehr hell ab 8/71 auf dem GT
    pampasgrün PP 304 metallic ab 8/70 auf dem GT, also gab es PP nie auf dem GT Typenschild
    britisch grün 15 336 metallic nur 1969 /dunkles grün
    saharagold DD 402 metallic etwas weniger leuchtend als 404 / ab 8/71 im GT
    gold DD 404 metallic ab 1969 /etwas heller? als 402?
    gold DD 447 metallic ab 1969 /die Verwendung auf dem GT ist nicht geklärt
    chartreuse 16 406 gelb mit einem starken Grünanteil
    chromgelb SS 407 leuchtendes, sattes gelb
    ocker SS 411 auch auf dem GT-J
    zitrusgelb CC 446 ein sehr helles gelb mit tendenz ins weisse /auch GT-J
    16 ist auch möglich
    arktisweiß 416 ab 1971auf GT /schmutziges weiss
    brillantweiß RR 451 ab 1969/ reines weiss
    kardinalrot JJ 508 ab 1970
    rallyerot JJ 520 nur 1969 eines der beiden rot ist etwas dunkler
    orange WW 513
    ziegelrot WW 529 signalorange /auch GT-J

Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr.

Die Farbe Rallyerot gab es nur 1969. Sie wurde durch Kardinalrot ersetzt.
    Welches dieser beiden rot nun heller und welches dunkler ist, ist, kann man im Nachhinein schwer
    einschätzen. Einige 1969er wirken eindeutig Kardinalrot, einige 1971er eindeutig Rallyerot.

Weil der zweistellige Farbcode beispielsweise bei den gold jeweils DD ist, sind Unterscheidungen
    zwischen Gold 404 und Gold 447 schwer möglich.

Die Farben Pampasgrün und Limonengrün liegen auch sehr nah beeinander.
    Verwirrung gibt es oft bei den Farben Zitrusgelb, Chromgelb und Chartreuse. Fast kann man behaupten:
    BEI JEDEM DRITTEN GELBEN GT DES BAUJAHRES 1970 stimmt die Farbnummer auf dem Typenschild NICHT mit der tatsächlichen Farbe überein.

Die Zitrusgelben GT hatten zu Anfang die Farbnummer 16. Bei GT mit 16 Zitrusgelb kommt meist zuerst die Innenausstattungsfarbe, dann die 16. Normalerweise ist das ungedreht.
    Dann wurde daraus CC. Dann 446.
    Chartreuse hatte zu Anfang 16. Dann 406.
    Weil Chartreuse aber erst später im GT zum Einsatz kam, steht da meist 406.
    Also wenn auf deinem GT die 16 steht, und das Auto wirklich Zitrusgelb ist, hast du einen extrem alten GT.
    Last edited by OpelGT-de; 04-17-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Member WOOFS-OPEL is on a distinguished road WOOFS-OPEL's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "342 of the GT's sold by Buick were 1100's and were only sold in 1969"

Your car having a red interior also seems to be rare (unless all '69 1.1's came with a red interior) You may be able to find out how many of the 342 were made with the red interior, making your car even more rare.

Italian opel owner My location Mike Trout is on a distinguished road Mike Trout's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it would just be interesting to find out like how rare it is, i know its not like a big block camaro or anyhting but i have a mysterious love for this car, its just so kool how i got it and what i got. But yes I would like to find more inf about how many were made with red interior and my silver like exterior. I will post some pics soon. Neuropel is going to come out and see it soon so he can also elaborate on the car
    Mike,
    Your Civic may have 1.6 Liters, But My Mountain Dew has 2.

Viking My location hallgeir will become famous soon enough hallgeir's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hallgeir Bjørkavåg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    @Mike - What is the number that is stamped on the drivers side radiator support? It's near the master cylinder, on the piece that angles toward the front.
    Gary, do you mean this number? What does that number tell me? I think it says 0907. It`s not easy to read. It`s been covered by paint.

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Hallgeir

Opels now:
    -69 GT 1900, -95 Omega B 2,5 V6 CD Aut. -93 Astra Bertone 2.0i convertible
    Previous Opels:
    -91 Omega A 2,0i, -85 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -81 Commodore 2,5S Berlina,
    -82 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -72 Ascona 1,6S

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/vbgoogl...4650269&zoom=5

Opelitis since 1984 My location GoinManta is on a distinguished road GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just my 2 cents, but know what is rarer than a 1.1L GT in teh US.

The 1.9L 36D Kadett 4 door. From what I have found less than 200 were imported.

One of which was my high school car... Been looking for another one for a long time.

Charles
    CURRENT
    '06 Pontiac GTO - "Betty"
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Ben's Manta"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Atlas" ( 2.8L LK5 (175hp) w/ 4whl Discs )

In the past owned:
    At least 20 or more Opels / 2 Bitters - '85 Bitter SC (#491 / #439 ? ), '73 Commodore GS, At least a dozen Mantas (Including a Blue Max), 2 GTs and a few misc Ascona and Kadett parts cars

crazy opeler My location opelgt73 opelgt73's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lezliewk
    I bought a new GT in 69,It was silver with red inside. 1.1 liter.
    That is by far my favorite color combination. I've been searching for a 1.1L restorable Gt for a long time. If/when I find one I want to go with that color scheme.
    Chris
    Shanghai, China

PrOpeller PROPEL is on a distinguished road PROPEL's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have a silver/red 1.1L. I don't think that color combination is so rare for either engine. In one of my books, there's a photo of an assembly line with a bunch of silver GTs. I also read or heard that the early silver paint had problems. So some cars were repainted like mine (white but will eventually go back to silver). The green/saddle tan was only available for one year in both U.S. and Europe. I don't see many gold GTs either. Gold was the color of the first GT I inspected to purchase 20 years ago (a 1.1L that was scooped up by Daley Opel Parts the day after I looked at it). But I digress.

Opeler My location OpelGT-de is on a distinguished road OpelGT-de's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    -Jonzo
    Today an old Opel marketing guy told me, that appr 140 GT s (only 1100cc engine) in the exterior / interior combination silver/ red , were made for the US dealer stock.
    Opel built these silver/red lot after the decision to stop the 1100 production due to less success. A few other colored ones were made after the decision too, but only a very small number.

However,
    140 silver/red ones after and plus appr 50 silver /red ones before the Opel marketing decision shows, that +/- 50% silver/red ones were sold in the US.

Unfortunately the 1100 version is not very popular till today.
    A couple of month ago a guy in Germany offered a 100% original one with orginal 15000 km ( 9000 miles) for a very reasonable price.
    He had many visitors and blabbers, but nobody bougth the car.
    All the people prefered bondo bombers with a bigger engine.

In the end the 1100cc GT found a good home, -- > a private museum in Denmark!!

Rolf

Moderator My location soybean is on a distinguished road soybean's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PROPEL
    I also have a silver/red 1.1L. I don't think that color combination is so rare for either engine. In one of my books, there's a photo of an assembly line with a bunch of silver GTs. I also read or heard that the early silver paint had problems. So some cars were repainted like mine (white but will eventually go back to silver). The green/saddle tan was only available for one year in both U.S. and Europe. I don't see many gold GTs either. Gold was the color of the first GT I inspected to purchase 20 years ago (a 1.1L that was scooped up by Daley Opel Parts the day after I looked at it). But I digress.
    The 69 I have, (1.9L) has the green/saddle tan combination. Interesting that it was only available for one year in both U.S. and Europe. Any idea why? Thanks, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information