Hello from Northern California!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By huzzad3

Thread: Hello from Northern California!

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from Northern California!

Hello, I been stalking the forums for a few months and I have finally decided to... Sign up.. buy a opel and say hello!

As the title says I live in northern California currently, my grandfather has a 68 Kadett not 100% sure info on it, that is actually what lead me to find this forum and sooo much information. The push a few weeks ago I seen a Opel GT next to my 1950 plymouth and I loved how it looked just basic sport like so I started searching, and found a 1972 Opel gt in a barn for 1200$usd everything told me it was a scam leading up to meeting the guy and seeing the vehicle.. but after reading for hours of post in the forums I think I found a gold mine. I got 2x and some 3x original parts and replacement parts of everything for this vehicle, the original owner who sold it has not drove it in 7 years but kept it locked up and in good order for 17 years, the vehicle runs and drives but he just hasn't found nothing seized, I will post pictures I see as a newbie its a must to prove my self lol or at least the car. So the previous owner cut a sun roof in it which I am going to 100% restore and remove, the car is sat in primer and orange opel color, however after 6 hours yesterday I found the vehicle # says MonzaBlau but on Buick site it says Strato Blue.

using Links instead due to picture size might be big.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psgv3c0mmc.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psoyx7wg8o.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...pswftyd5cj.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psrgg1lfra.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps8mawnoyi.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psddybmqlc.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psjkgfgu4v.jpg
    SpringGT and itb gt like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome

The fiberglass below the door an the Tail are of course are not stock items but are nice additions in my opinion.
    Congrats and welcome

Rick
    My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)
    72 Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    87 Volvo 240 (Daily Driver)
    07 Volvo S60 (Daily Driver soon)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)

87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like you got a very good deal...newer Miata seats, aftermarket aluminum wheels, fiberglass rocker skirts, and that big tail. It looks like the front and rear glass rubber has been replaced and maybe the wiring for the front harness. If it was originally Strato Blue, you should be able to find some spots of it somewhere.

Good luck with your project!

Jerry

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you as for the windows they are replacements, as this was what looks like a restore project gone cold all the glass looks newer tempered as well as the rubber, the wires I got 2 other harnesses for one looks older than whats current in the car and the other much newer. The thing I was worried about was tons of blue inside the car around the gas tank looks like primer + orange + newer primer over the top of it all.. however the sticker on the door has a tiny scratch in it that shows the original blue color under. The vin plate and sticker match however I must of read something wrong but the body code on the driver side front of the engine bay does not match anything on the vin however still digging. The after market parts look good makes it less dull however I am thinking I got enough to make this original or near original, and as for gt bodys with no motor or transmission I could get another for parts and a engine swap for the after market parts. However the wing is metal not fiberglass which got me confused where it might of came from, and with all that the start of a car shed/rebuild shed for this vehicle is being built.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by huzzad3 View Post
    The vin plate and sticker match however I must of read something wrong but the body code on the driver side front of the engine bay does not match anything on the vin however still digging.
    You lost me somewhere. There should be a passenger's side riveted vin plate on the shelf of the engine bay below the wiper which would include the paint code and interior color code in the lower right boxed section. There's a vin sticker on the driver's door (often missing) which would also include the date build. There is a riveted thin metal vin plate attached to the soft dash on the driver's side and under the windshield...although I don't see a dash pad in your photos. Plus, the vin would also be on the title and should hopefully match all of the others.

Kalifornia Kid My location DennisGardiner's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by huzzad3 View Post
    The vin plate and sticker match however I must of read something wrong but the body code on the driver side front of the engine bay does not match anything on the vin however still digging.
    The Opel GT has normally one (sometimes two) numerical stamping/s in the radiator support. My '73 GT has only one stamping on the passenger side. I have a friends '69 GT here that has a stamping on both sides of the radiator support.
    Luckily these stamps do no refer to the VIN number assigned by Opel. It has been suggested that the number, for the GT, was assigned by the coach builder in France, Brissoneau and Lotz, for inventory and shipping purposes.

Note:
    The Manta and Ascona the cowl stamping and VIN will match, from 1971-73. Post 1973, US Vin Tag regulations changed. The factory cowl stamping kept the two-digit chassis code followed by the 6-digit serial number. The door and a-pillar stamping used the US codes, followed by the 6-digit serial number.
    Drifting: dorifuto sōkō, a motor sport where the driver intentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while preserving vehicle control.

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice find. Gotta close off that sun roof though. Where in Nor Cal you live? I have plenty of spare body parts you can have access to.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All that VIN number stuff is useless. Almost all GT's that have been "restored" have parts on them from other GT's. As you start doing your own restore, you'll find that upgrade parts cost about as much as the oem stuff, so you might as well put that bigger alternator or larger valve head on the engine and make the car BETTER than it was when new. You'll also enjoy your car much more with the better equipment.

My job is blocking your pictures and I won't be able to see them until I get home, but it seems that you have a nice $1200 car. As far as the sun roof, it'll probably cost you more and cause you way more aggravation to close off the roof than it would to just put a proper sunroof on it. VW Beetle ones are what was typically installed on GT's, look around for one of those.

Good luck, have fun with your new toy!

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    All that VIN number stuff is useless. Almost all GT's that have been "restored" have parts on them from other GT's. As you start doing your own restore, you'll find that upgrade parts cost about as much as the oem stuff, so you might as well put that bigger alternator or larger valve head on the engine and make the car BETTER than it was when new. You'll also enjoy your car much more with the better equipment.

My job is blocking your pictures and I won't be able to see them until I get home, but it seems that you have a nice $1200 car. As far as the sun roof, it'll probably cost you more and cause you way more aggravation to close off the roof than it would to just put a proper sunroof on it. VW Beetle ones are what was typically installed on GT's, look around for one of those.

Good luck, have fun with your new toy!
    The beetle sunroof is the one to get. I've found them new, with hardware, for $379.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Thread Information