64 Kadett Coupe Owner Here
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 64 Kadett Coupe Owner Here

Opeler JoePolo is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

64 Kadett Coupe Owner Here

Hey all, I just traded my 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet for a 64 Opel Kadett Coupe. I am going to start working on it ASAP though will take some help from some more knowledgable A series owners. I'm more of a british car guy myself and this is new territory for me. First order of business is electrical and brakes. I want to get the brakes working since they are non-existant right now. Was thinking of just bench bleeding the master and flushing system then bleeding and hoping for the best. Since I'm not really sure where to get spares.

Looked through some of the pictures of the 65 on here, look quite different from my 64.

I also need some lighting too tail and turn signals. Any help is much appreciated.

Look forward to getting to know some of you and will keep you updated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the Community!!
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

tomking My location tomking is on a distinguished road tomking's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Joe. Do you know about opelgtsource.com? Give them a try for parts such as engine and suspension, brakes. Body parts you might try eastwest autoparts in Tulsa OK. Good Opeling.
    TMK

Cam-in-head? My location Opelkurt is on a distinguished road Opelkurt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePolo View Post
    Hey all, I just traded my 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet for a 64 Opel Kadett Coupe. I am going to start working on it ASAP though will take some help from some more knowledgable A series owners. I'm more of a british car guy myself and this is new territory for me. First order of business is electrical and brakes. I want to get the brakes working since they are non-existant right now. Was thinking of just bench bleeding the master and flushing system then bleeding and hoping for the best. Since I'm not really sure where to get spares.

Looked through some of the pictures of the 65 on here, look quite different from my 64.

I also need some lighting too tail and turn signals. Any help is much appreciated.

Look forward to getting to know some of you and will keep you updated.
    If I'm remembering the Kadett Coupe body style I'd say you have a very rare and sharp looking little vehicle there. Can't wait to see some pics.

The wiring diagram for a '64 Kadett would fit on a recipe card. Repair manuals with the diagram pop up occasionally on eBay.

Brake parts for '63-65 Kadetts show up on eBay sometimes too and often go for cheap as demand is kinda low since front drum brakes were phased out after the Kadett A to B transition. New brake hoses all around would will make things safer and may save a lot of headaches, as I've learned the hard way. (The interiors of the hoses degrade and can clog; they can become so elastic that they eat up a lot of peddle travel, etc.)

There's been a set of Kadett A front signal lenses on eBay for months too.

-Kurt

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar will become famous soon enough tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb US Opel Engine and Drivetrain Charts

Couple of charts to get you going:

All US Opel Engines

US Opel Drivetrains

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

1971 GT My location CDN OpelNut CDN OpelNut's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parts Source

There are some vintage lenses listed here:

Opel auto parts for Kadett GT and Manta
    2.4 "Legere" Stroker - Weber DCOE45 - Getrag - Compufire - S10 Clutch

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar will become famous soon enough tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Some Kadett A details . . .

Ah yes! . . . 6V electrical system with generator/regulator; foot headlight dimmer switch!!; single 1-bbl carb (Carter knock-off), OHV 1.0 engine (10/LC and 10S/HC); single-piston MC, manual brakes with drums all around; transverse leaf spring in front, leaf spring on each side in rear; rack-and-pinion manual steering; mono (single speaker), transistor AM radio . . . an extremely basic and simple car!

. . . the Opel Kadett A also has an FSM with 10 chapters . . . individually bound!
    Last edited by tekenaar; 03-25-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info guys.

This car has a stick on the floor also I hear that's kinda rare. I'll try and take some pics as I start working on it. Looking forward to getting going on it.

Thanks for all the links will look at them today while it's slow at work.

Opeler nabrunhosa is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Hi I have two right hand side tail lenses for the kadett coupe .They are completely red as here in europe we use yellow indicator lense not completly red.I dont require them,

These are brand new in the box.If you intrested make me a offer.

tomking My location tomking is on a distinguished road tomking's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    send me some pics of the lenses for the kadett. I am restoring a 69 kadett rallye presently. my email is tomking2(at)mchsi.com. thanks.
    TMK

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found a guy on Ebay with the proper lenses and purchases the one prior to reading the replies, he has both rears and the turn signals NOS and I was hoping to get ahold of him and make him an offer so that I could buy all 3 and pay shipping only once so I will wait and see what becomes of that and let you guys know. Thanks for the help again. I'm sure it won't be the only time.

I feel bad asking for all this help and not being able to offer any.

Any of you guys need help with American cars especially old Mustangs or 5.0 style mustangs let me know I"m your guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

1964 Opel Kadett Coupe

Started working on it today what a great great find this car was. EVERYTHING IS WORKING OR IS POTENTIALLY EASY TO GET WORKING. After sitting since 1982 it had spark right away, lights came on engine bay cleaned up quite nicely, clutch works, brakes took fluid and worked w/o leaks, motor cranked though needed some wd40 in the switch and also the cables needed replacing. I'm amazed with this little car.

Here are some pics of before I got it I'll keep it updated.

Last edited by tekenaar; 02-05-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more shots:

Last edited by tekenaar; 03-28-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: embed images

Member My location manta73wi manta73wi's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What a neat find! The coupe body style is certainly sharp, I would guess fairly rare, and it looks like it is pretty good shape. Keep us posted as you work on this little gem!
    -Jeff W.
    '75, '74, & '73 Mantas

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Some engine shots . . .

Started working on it today what a great great find this car was. EVERYTHING IS WORKING OR IS POTENTIALLY EASY TO GET WORKING. After sitting since 1982 it had spark right away, lights came on engine bay cleaned up quite nicely, clutch works, brakes took fluid and worked w/o leaks, motor cranked though needed some wd40 in the switch and also the cables needed replacing. I'm amazed with this little car.

Here are some pics of before I got it . . . I'll keep it updated.

. . . images . . . .
    . . . OK, first and foremost . . . well, to some of us at least, some underhood pics!! . . . one each side?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tekenaar View Post
    . . . OK, first and foremost . . . well, to some of us at least, some underhood pics!! . . . one each side?
    I'll take them tonight. All I have underhood right now is some shots of hoses i need to locate.

But I cleaned it now so I don't have the full effect of before and after. But i'll take some.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a little update on my little car here. After tons of parts purchasing to make it road worthy today she drove and stopped with me behind the wheel.

I had to rebuild the carb, and let me tell you on this early of a car don't ever lose hard parts because you'll have to make them. :banghead:

I completely redid the brakes with the exception of the 2 front hoses which I could not locate the proper length, the wheel cylinders and shoes all new, what an easy brake system. I also upgraded to a dual resevoir master cylinder from a later car worked amazing and didn't have to redo a single brake line. I changed one lower ball joint (after stripping one I only had one to replace :banghead

The hoses have all been changed radiator upper and lower and the heater.

New Starter and Water Pump

A huge huge thanks goes out to Gil at Opel GT Source for all of his help with parts.

Now it's time for paint and body work and interior restoration but there are many many parts which I am going to search long and hard for I think to find.

I will take some more pictures of the progress still don't have any engine pictures.

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I completely redid the brakes with the exception of the 2 front hoses which I could not locate the proper length, the wheel cylinders and shoes all new, what an easy brake system. I also upgraded to a dual resevoir master cylinder from a later car worked amazing and didn't have to redo a single brake line.
    Glad to see you went through the brakes even though they appeared to be working okay. I doubt they would have continued to work properly. I'm currently doing similar things to a slightly newer Kadett.

Good luck with the rest of the car as they are definitely neat little cars and not something you see every day.

Harold

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had no choice the brakes eventually locked on one front and a rear cylinder started leaking just decided to go through it all. Costs some coin but my buddy Gil at Opel GT source came through with the right stuff at a good price.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did it!!!!

I bought my second 1964 Opel Kadett Coupe. I now own 2 of the exact same car. Here is a picture of the new one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information