Is this '74 Manta a Rallye?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Is this '74 Manta a Rallye?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this '74 Manta a Rallye?

I just purchased a '74 Manta as a parts car because it has a good front passenger fender which I need for my '75. After it was delivered, I found the body to be so solid that I am considering it as a project car. It still has the drivetrain in it (4 speed ) but the interior is mostly gutted. The things that lead me to believe it is a Rallye are the stripes and blackout around the hood, screw holes/indent where the rallye gauge pack was on the dash, padded steering wheel, black shift knob, and pedal for windshield washer. What confuses me is the interior, which I thought was all black on Rallye models. This one has blue vinyl on the lower door panels and B pillar post and a white headliner. The gauges and seats are gone, and the car presently has black door panels. The VIN number is OL77ND9097888, and the door tag lists a 10/73 build date. My '74 brochure does not say anything about Rallye's having an all black interior - it just states '74 Mantas could have tan, red, black, or blue interiors (not including the Luxus models). So, is it a Rallye or a regular Manta?
    -Jeff W.
    '75 Manta
    '74 Manta Project Car
    '73 Manta
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by manta73wi; 10-11-2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot one thing

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't find any documentation that '74 Rallyes were limited to black interiors. My '72 rallye had a white interior, the '74 brochure (like you said) offers black, saddle, red and blue interiors -- for ALL non-Luxus models. Sounds to me like you clearly have a rallye with some swapped out panels etc. I reclaimed a Luxus that way once or twice.

From the looks of that floor panel you might have a keeper you don't want to part out. One more Opel for the road. Save that car! (and don't repaint the hood gloss black like others have. That defeats the purpose.)

Jim
    Last edited by timemachine; 10-11-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    '74 Manta ("Sig")
    '75 Sportwagon (project)
    '72 GT (whenever I get to it)
    Sold or wrecked:
    '72 Manta Rallye
    '73 Manta
    '74 Luxus

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a Rallye. Mine in the shed is the same way including the white headliner with sunroof. Enclosed is a rear view picture of the poor thing awaiting restoration. I've owned it since 74. Jarrell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys, thanks for the info! Jarell, how cool to have your original Opel, and a Rallye with sunroof to boot. How cool is that? Jim, I subscirbe to Hemmings Sports, so will be glad to see your car featured!

The more I look at the car, the better I think it is. It will need some body work around the rear wheel openings and a few dings here and there. I think some yahoo at some point might have wanted bigger wheels & tires on the back and just wacked at the openings. The rest of it so solid - this one is a keeper and will get back on the road at some point. I've always liked the Rallye, I like the signal blue color, and am thrilled to have finally found a Manta with a four speed instead of the automatics all of mine had/have. Most of the missing parts I have from stripping the nasty '74 I had that was jade green. I'll need a hood, and will then still need a good passenger side '74-75 fender for my '75. Did the '74 Rallye's have the chrome twin exhaust tips or were they the regular single pipe?
    -Jeff W
    '75 Manta
    '74 Manta Rallye project
    '73 Manta

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My white 74 Rallye had a red interior. God it was a beautiful car!

Don

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeh, and chrome twin tip exhaust was on the Rallye.

Real Name
    Jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like DCM said, the Rallye had the ANSA twin exhaust tips. (Gil at OGTS has replacements as far as I know. I'm sourcing one myself.)

Since you bought your car for a fender, you might want to search "17 opel mantas and then some" on this site because there is still some sheet metal out there to let you keep your new car in one piece, and I'll bet somebody could cut some rear quarters for you too to fix the problems in back. Hope you can begin to turn this back into a driver, but for sure let us all know if it gets to be too much so your car doesn't get lost. Hope Hemmings will soon boost Manta pride generally.

Good luck with your projects.

Jim
    Last edited by timemachine; 10-12-2006 at 02:10 AM.
    '74 Manta ("Sig")
    '75 Sportwagon (project)
    Sold or wrecked:
    '72 Manta Rallye
    '73 Manta
    '74 Luxus

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by timemachine View Post
    Like DCM said, the Rallye had the ANSA twin exhaust tips. (Gil at OGTS has replacements as far as I know. I'm sourcing one myself.)

Since you bought your car for a fender, you might want to search "17 opel mantas and then some" on this site because there is still some sheet metal out there to let you keep your new car in one piece, and I'll bet somebody could cut some rear quarters for you too to fix the problems in back. Hope you can begin to turn this back into a driver, but for sure let us all know if it gets to be too much so your car doesn't get lost. Hope Hemmings will soon boost Manta pride generally.

Good luck with your projects.

Jim
    Jim;
    We popped open the trunks of the cars and one we found a bunch of new pipes, one was a Rallye rear section, but, it had gotten rusty from sitting in a leaky trunk.:banghead:
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads

EBay!

Keep your eyes on EBay - mufflers NOS - new old stock - ones have turned up from time to time. I found a pair of NEW Kadett Rallye twin tips that had been cut off mufflers for My 1967 Rallye ... and a member here had a whole new muffler ... with the correct twin chrome tips - it was only 1/2 a fortune for the trans-Oceanic postage!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene,

Are any of the rear pipes reclaimable? I am going to need something I can restore to clean and shiny. I do keep an eye on ebay too.
    Jim
    '74 Manta ("Sig")
    '75 Sportwagon (project)
    Sold or wrecked:
    '72 Manta Rallye
    '73 Manta
    '74 Luxus

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJIM View Post
    Keep your eyes on EBay - mufflers NOS - new old stock - ones have turned up from time to time. I found a pair of NEW Kadett Rallye twin tips that had been cut off mufflers for My 1967 Rallye ... and a member here had a whole new muffler ... with the correct twin chrome tips - it was only 1/2 a fortune for the trans-Oceanic postage!
    Jim, I have an NOS Kadett Rallye rear resonator w/twin tips. Original Opel decal still attached.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene,

Are any of the rear pipes reclaimable? I am going to need something I can restore to clean and shiny. I do keep an eye on ebay too.
    Jim
    I *think* I still have a new Bosal Manta Rallye rear resonator with twin tips. Not original Opel, but close. They've been discontinued for something like 10 years now.

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene,

Jim
    Jim;
    I wish I could tell you yes, but, unfortunately it's no, it was REAL rusty, we're talkin' tetnus shot time.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is something about the Manta that just gets to me. I have never been close to one, but bought a 75 with all the FI goodies still there for this crazy locost idea I had before other things came up. Now I find myself wanting to save the car. The kid likes it so perhaps it can be a father-son project....he already helps with the other cars. Save the Mantas.

Real Name
    Jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You clearly have good taste Cherokee. Save that car!
    '74 Manta ("Sig")
    '75 Sportwagon (project)
    Sold or wrecked:
    '72 Manta Rallye
    '73 Manta
    '74 Luxus

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm set for the twin chrome tips Rallye muffler. I found one on eBay awhile back with the intent of putting it my '73, but now it will be saved for the Rallye. Anyone have good passenger side '74/75 fender?
    -Jeff W.
    '75 Manta FI
    '74 Matna Rallye project
    '73 Manta

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations Jeff! It looks like the "Greater Milwaukee Opelers" will have a new winter project to work on. Gotta get John G. to get our club house workshop ready for your Manta!
    Opelerjeff

"Nice guys finish last; always have, always will."

Thread Information