How to remove bumper mounts on '74?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ubernoob51
  • 1 Post By slracer
  • 1 Post By B.R.
  • 2 Post By B.R.

Thread: How to remove bumper mounts on '74?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to remove bumper mounts on '74?

Hi, I'm a newb here. I am trying to swap out my big '74 bumpers for small early ones. I know how to unbolt the original bumpers from their mounts, but I'm not sure how to remove the whole round pipe (male) portion that spins around in the female tube.

It looks like maybe there are clips (on the ends) that hold them in? Do those have to be removed?

Has anyone tried to combine & use the original '74 mounts, to attach early small bumpers?

I won't be attempting this for a while, I just wanted to see how big of a job it might turn into first. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by B.R. View Post
    Hi, I'm a newb here. I am trying to swap out my big '74 bumpers for small early ones. I know how to unbolt the original bumpers from their mounts, but I'm not sure how to remove the whole round pipe (male) portion that spins around in the female tube.

It looks like maybe there are clips (on the ends) that hold them in? Do those have to be removed?

Has anyone tried to combine & use the original '74 mounts, to attach early small bumpers?

I won't be attempting this for a while, I just wanted to see how big of a job it might turn into first. Thanks.
    There have been several members here who have made the conversion, it's not really hard, the real problem is finding small bumpers, but, in answer to removal, yes you remove the clips and the bumpers come off
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OGTS is having a sale on reproduction Manta bumpers made of stainless steel.

Not sure if Ascona bumper reproductions are available in the US.

If you've got a Manta, contact oliper on here. He converted his '75 Manta from big to small bumpers.
    oliper likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob51 View Post
    OGTS is having a sale on reproduction Manta bumpers made of stainless steel.

Not sure if Ascona bumper reproductions are available in the US.

If you've got a Manta, contact oliper on here. He converted his '75 Manta from big to small bumpers.
    You can read all about here: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2a-body...onversion.html

HTH -- Doug
    oliper likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    You can read all about here: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2a-body...onversion.html

HTH -- Doug
    Thanks everyone for the help so far. Yes I did read that thread before, but I didn't really see any details or pics about removing the old stuff, or on the actual mounting of the small bumpers.

It sounded like he didn't use the original (tube) frame mounts because he mentions "Removing all the big bumper related hardware and closing the resulting holes were a bit of a challenge for me as I don't really know what I'm doing."

Someone else says: If you cut off the tubes for the bumper shocks you will find the early mounting holes. Any more details on this? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it seems that the early cars have small cut outs (at least in the front) in the body where the early bumper mounts went through.

I wanted to make this as simple as possible, and hopefully without needing to do any bodywork. My plan was to try to make use of the bumper mount tubes that are currently on the car. Maybe the small bumpers will sit lower than intended if I go this route, but I might be ok with that.

Hope this is somewhat understandable. Pictures always help, but I'm away from the car right now, so I can't post any of my own currently.

Real Name
    Oliver
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there! Saw this thread yesterday at work but didn't have time to reply and give more insight on how I went about the big bumper removal.
    Ready? Here we go:
    Disclaimer: other people may have done this before and potentially in better ways. Keep in mind, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to these things but feel very happy about my successful conversion.

I had thought about trying to utilize the big bumper holders to mount the small ones but they would have been way too low and stuck out too far, therefore I decided to drop that idea. If you remove the bumper holders you would still have to chop off the outer tubes as they're sticking out pretty far. I just chopped the whole things off, didn't mess around with trying to remove those stupid clips. The big holes left by the bumper holders I closed off with some Bondo mesh patch and some filler.

https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-932-Sel...rds=bondo+mesh

Mounting the rear bumper is real simple: it's held in place with 4 bolts, 2 in the back and one on each side, all you have to do is find the correct locations for those holes and drill
    The small bumper Mantas had an outward "dimple" where the holders attach to the sides. It wasn't hard to bend the holders a bit for the bumpers to fit without the dimples.
    As Alex said: OGTS currently has the small bumpers on sale (I received mine a couple of days ago to replace the black painted ones, really nice!). The bumper mounts for the small bumpers you can probably get from Opels Unlimited. Dr Manta also sells the mounting kits for both the front and the back.

Stoßstangenhalter vorne Manta-A / Bumper mounting kit front - Wolfgang Wüster Ersatzteile für klassische Automobile

Stoßstangenhalter hinten Manta-A / Mounting kit bumper rear - Wolfgang Wüster Ersatzteile für klassische Automobile

Here are some pictures of the back of my car, I'll post some of the front later as mounting the front bumper is a bit more complex.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Oliver
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What makes mounting of the front bumper a wee bit trickier is the fact that originally the 2 front brackets were attached to the front rails and access to those was through rectangular holes (see the picture of the red Manta, btw my first Manta). Post 73 US Mantas don't have those access holes. I decided to not mess with it and just make a couple of u shaped brackets (see pics).
    Lastly you'll need to find a pair of indicators. I found mine for CHEAP on ebay. Opels Unlimited has them too, the price was a bit steep though. You can also find them for cheap on German ebay as they were used on various German Opel models throughout the 70s. Keep in mind the Euro version only has the indicator function, doesn't have a second bulb that comes on with your Headlights. Cut a couple of holes out for your indicators and that's pretty much it.
    Over all the process was pretty simple, just takes some time. I was a bit nervous at first about drilling holes and the "body work" but am happy with the results.
    In terms of functionality the big bumpers clearly are a hundred times better in protecting the car from even slight bumps but just wasn't my thing.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing, Opels are fun, big bumpers or small bumpers, gotta love those little cars.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi oliper, thanks for the extra info & pics. Things are starting to get a little clearer for me now. Bottom line is my "easy" no bodywork plan may not work so well to get a good factory look.

BTW I already have a set of small bumpers, that's why I'm now getting into the details. At this point, I think I have no choice but to try to mount them to my old tube locations, and see how bad they look by being lower than they were from the factory.

I won't be doing any work on my car for a while, but I'll update this thread when I eventually get around to attempting this project.

On a somewhat related note. I also bought a front spoiler/air dam. When I was test fitting it, it seemed like there was interference with the front bumper mounts. I thought these spoilers were supposed to work with all years of Mantas? Do I have to hack off part of the top of the spoiler if I want to make it fit?

And I was going to get the original type turn indicator lights, but later decided not to, and am now just not going to run any. Well not any you can really see at least. I'll post pics of my solution later on.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: I just got done doing a basic proof of concept. My first attempt, using only the stock original bumper mounts worked out better than I thought. I'll post some pics after I take some.

In the meantime, here's some pics of the custom bumpers I made. Since I won't be needing these anymore, I would sell them to someone, but I invested too much money on this project so the price would not be cheap.
    Last edited by B.R.; 5 Days Ago at 02:14 PM.
    opelgtboy70 likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I snapped 1 quick pic of my new old bumpers. I have determined that I'm very ok with the position of them on the stock brackets. The only thing I need to do is move them closer into the body. To do this I decided I will cut off the flat "bracket", trim some length off the "tubes", and re-weld the brackets on the shortened tubes.

This won't happen for a while as I'm going out of the country again. Hopefully I'll get back to this in May.
    Last edited by B.R.; 5 Days Ago at 02:11 PM.
    opelgtboy70 and manta73wi like this.

Thread Information