T-Roy's 70 GT - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: T-Roy's 70 GT

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
    Holy smokes.....what have I got myself into. What I thought would be a relatively easy rebuild has proven to be a big pain in the arse.

While I'm waiting on the machine shop to do it's thing on the head and block, I've been work on the front suspension. I have most of it back together and am now working on the calipers. I bought a rebuild kit from OGTS since the pads look practically new on the set I pulled off the car. However!!! The damn pistons will. not. budge. The are all the way in, so there's no room to compress them to break them free. I've tried air. Nope. Putting a grease gun on the bleeder valve and using that to push them out. Nope. Can't get a grip on them with any of my pliers, etc., so I'm at a dead end. Any ideas? Worst case, I'll break the halves apart and see if I can get them out somehow.
    BEWARE! The following advice is for what "I" would do. It can result in broken fingers if not properly done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Buy a gallon of Evaporust and soak the calipers for a couple days. (Not dangerous).

Head to China Freight or home depot and pick up the necessary pneumatic connectors, with a gate valve, to connect an air line to the brake caliper. Hard connection, no hoses.

Get ear protection. Get eye protection. Get hardhat. Remove any valuable objects from your pockets and immediate area. Tell your significant other to check on you in a few minutes and to have 911 on speed dial.

Place a rag between the pistons. They can be severely damaged if you do not.

MOVE FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Open gate valve.

If one piston doesn't pop, just leave it pressurized and check back later.

Eventually it should pop one of the pistons.

When it does, disconnect the air and allow the caliper to bleed. (Safety first).

Clean the piston and seal and all that and lube the bore with some grease. Reinstall that piston with the old seal. You don't want to break anything.

Find a method to lock that piston in place. I prefer a couple C-clamps and a metal bar. It's your call.

Then put the rag back in and repeat the first process.

WARNING!!
    If your fingers are in the way the piston won't hesitate to ruin them when it pops. I got lucky and kept my fingers but it felt like a solid hammer blow when I didn't get my fingers out of the way.
    T-Roy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes!!! Evaporust, direct air pressure and a little heat did the trick. Two of the pistons are in pretty bad shape, so I'm working on getting another set freed from another caliper. Got the rack and pinion apart and most of the gunk off of it. One of the inner tie Todd is bent, so I'll be poking around the parts bin looking for a straight one.

Forward progress.....slow, but forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mschinelli3 likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
    Yes!!! Evaporust, direct air pressure and a little heat did the trick. Two of the pistons are in pretty bad shape, so I'm working on getting another set freed from another caliper. Got the rack and pinion apart and most of the gunk off of it. One of the inner tie Todd is bent, so I'll be poking around the parts bin looking for a straight one.

Forward progress.....slow, but forward.
    Hi Troy, At least it is forward, which is more than I can say about the nose piece I got from you. I am making slow progress on the rear bodywork, the rear bumper, and my headliner with console.

How are you using the vibrator in the picture, and what media are you using?

Doug
    mschinelli3 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Hi Troy, At least it is forward, which is more than I can say about the nose piece I got from you. I am making slow progress on the rear bodywork, the rear bumper, and my headliner with console.

How are you using the vibrator in the picture, and what media are you using?

Doug
    Progress is progress, you'll get the nose done eventually. I use the tumbler to knock the rust off small parts, like the rack bracktes, nuts, bolts, etc. I'm using the larger green rust buster media from Harbor Freight. It does an OK job, I still run them through the wire wheel to get the thicker stuff off when necessary.

I played around with a DIY zinc plating system for the upper A-arm bolts, washers and things. I think it worked OK, but I still anti-seized the heck out of everything.

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dry fit the front end components this morning to make sure I know where all the bits and pieces are & where they go. Found one of the inner tie rods was bent, not sure how I didn't catch that in the first place, so, I went to the spare parts bin and found one that was straight. Got it soaking for a bit, so I can get the old outer off. Next, load the calipers, grease the bearings and torque everything down. Doesn't seem like much, but this is comes with a sense of accomplishment!

The engine builder called Friday with a few questions. Shouldn't be long before I get that back, too. Things are starting to get going!
    Last edited by T-Roy; 10-30-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also dropped the rear axle and exhaust. Prepping the rear components for blasting and powder coat in the next few weeks. Hope to have the glass and interior pulled by Christmas and get it off to the body shop after the first of the year.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of progress since I saw it in July!

Doug

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice work on the car and I like your nice big shop as well. A shop with that much headroom sort of cries out for a two-post lift!

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lift of any type would be awesome. I built it tall so I could have 12' doors to clear the boat without having to drop the Bimini frame. I had always planned on getting an over/under lift to fit more toys in the garage, too. Someday.........

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Christmas to me!!

Santa called and said the machine work was done! I'm stoked to get this thing back together!!

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads

Naked and Afraid

Got the little girl all stripped down and ready for the body shop today. Trying to figure out how to repair the damage to the frame horn, I have a donor car that I might be able to piece in some replacement metal.

The belly pan is wasted and there is quite a bit of damage to the right front where it looks like it was tapped lightly at one point.
    MikeNotigan, slracer and John B like this.

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got my new rocker panels from Spelndid!! Getting it lined up for media blasting and body work!!! Rear suspension should be getting powder coated this week, I'm starting to see the glow at the end of the tunnel.
    nickincrete likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information