Das Boot - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Das Boot

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by thescifiguy View Post
    Now a new dilemma: What brand of beer did the Red Baron drink?
    Well we know what pizza he ate.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    Red Baron TrailerWerks, LLC.........

Mike
    Great idea for when I retire. Y'know, if I had to build one of these again, I'd do it the exact same way. It's a great adustable, forgiving, and easily repairable design. I could literally break the whole thing down into it's constituent parts in about a half an hour. Everything except the inner pvc core is just bolted on. The only things I would try to change would be attempting to use one gage thicker sheet metal(it's made of 28 gage galvanized) and using turnbuckles and shorter carriage bolts to mount and adjust the end panels(I still might do that if there's time before Georgia).

Maybe I'll enlist you, Mike, to make fiberglass replicas of other GT areas(Mike's building a battleship in his backyard from scratch). How about a GT passenger compartment trailer next? Or a GT front end trailer? Actually, I like that idea.....and it's doable. Cut off a GT front end at the fire wall, put a GT rear panel on it to close it up, and done! The hood would work as the cargo hatch perfectly! I'll bet Keith Lundholm is secretly working on one right now......
    ken2 and Zarath like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Well we know what pizza he ate.....
    I'm gonna have to contact that pizza company and work out a promotional campaign. I can't let Gary hog Opel all the fame and fortune!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member Site Supporter My location jerseydave's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try this search under google-- red baron beer

I found his stein, so many beers to choose from!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Dave

73 Opel GT-work in progress
    74 Manta
    75 Manta

Previous
    72 Manta Rallye-owned 1974-1979 (Avatar picture))

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    red baron beer

I found his stein, so many beers to choose from!!
    Awesome Dave!

I'm off to the liquor store..........

Downloads
    Uploads
    These are both brewed in Canton, MA, about 30 minutes from Gary!!!
    Dave

74 Manta
    75 Manta

Previous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beer stein link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Baron Beer Stein - Northcote Imports, LLC
    Dave

74 Manta
    75 Manta

Previous

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need wiring help!

I don’t understand my trailer harness. Before I go any further, do I need a 4-wire harness, instead of the 3-wire harness the trailer came with, to make the Opel lights work?

I only have 3 wires to work with on each side: a solid color for the turn signal and another striped one for the brake and marking lights, plus a white chassis ground. See my 1st pic below. I’ve reoriented the tale lights for easier line drawing and I’ve connected the side and rear marker light wires together(I haven’t drawn in the license plate light and the front side marking lights, but I assume they are all powered from the same marking light source). I assume that all the grounds from all the lights will connect to the white chassis ground wire.

I don’t see how you can power the marking lights and make the brake light go on and off with just the green/brown wire shown in the pic.

I need a 4 wire harness, don’t I?

Sorry for the blurriness:

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 08-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trailer lights

I think what you need is a 5 wire to 4 wire converter this is not an adapter .

Its what is needed on the car with independent bulb systems. IE Turn signal is one bulb brake is a seperate bulb.

the one I got from the local checker is a hopkins #48845

I don’t understand my trailer harness. Before I go any further, do I need a 4-wire harness, instead of the 3-wire harness the trailer came with, to make the Opel lights work?

I only have 3 wires to work with on each side: a solid color for the turn signal and another striped one for the brake and marking lights, plus a white chassis ground. See my 1st pic below. I’ve reoriented the tale lights for easier line drawing and I’ve connected the side and rear marker light wires together(I haven’t drawn in the license plate light and the front side marking lights, but I assume they are all powered from the same marking light source). I assume that all the grounds from all the lights will connect to the white chassis ground wire.

I don’t see how you can power the marking lights and make the brake light go on and off with just the green/brown wire shown in the pic.

I need a 4 wire harness, don’t I?

Sorry for the blurriness:

My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)
    72 Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    87 Volvo 240 (Daily Driver)
    07 Volvo S60 (Daily Driver soon)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)

87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Typical utility trailer wiring (w/o brakes) are "four-wire":

Green: Right Turn / Stop
    Yellow: Left Turn /Stop
    Brown: Tail / License / Running Lights
    White: Ground

Cars with separate turn signal bulbs (such as our Opels) require a "five to four wire" harness adapter, that combine the turn and brake functions for the trailer.

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay. Then I should be able to simply add a seperate independent disconnectable wire to power the brakes, right? I just got done looking at the FSM wiring schematic of the car and I see that the right and left sides of the parking lights are independent of each other and are on seperate fuzes, but the brake lights are both fed by just one wire.

So, according to my schematic, I'm thinking that I can attach all the right side running lights to the green/brown, plus the license plate light. Same on the left side, with it's yellow/brown wire. Then run a seperate disconnectable wire from the car's brake lights to power the trailer's brake lights. I'm using LED bulbs for everything, including the car, so I'm not worried about blowing fuzes.

I've looked at 4-wire trailer harnesses and the extra wire seems to be used for activating electric brakes. I suppose I could go out and buy 4-wire harnesses for the car and trailer and repurpose the 4th wire to power my trailer's brake lights. That would keep things nice and tidy.

Now I have to decide whether to cheap out and run the extra wire or cough up the bucks for new harnesses. :banghead:

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Typically utility trailers combine the turn signal and brake light into one bulb for left and one for right. Since you duplicated the same GT light configuration into the trailer, you could buy an one or two wire disconnect (with wires) as mentioned. Ensure paint free/ clean metal wire grounds. Do not ground to plywood!

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've looked at 4-wire trailer harnesses and the extra wire seems to be used for activating electric brakes. I suppose I could go out and buy 4-wire harnesses for the car and trailer and repurpose the 4th wire to power my trailer's brake lights. That would keep things nice and tidy.

Now I have to decide whether to cheap out and run the extra wire or cough up the bucks for new harnesses. :banghead:
    Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear. Four wire trailer wiring DOES NOT include wires for trailer brakes. The separate turn signal wires are BOTH energized when the brakes are applied, which then provides "brake lights" on the trailer. If you want your harness to be compatible with the rest of the world (should you ever tow this trailer with another car that uses a standard pre-wired harness connector) then use the following colour code:

You can buy and install into the GT a simple and quite cheap (maybe $15?) electronic module that converts a "five wire" system where the turn signals are totally separate from brake lights to a "four wire" system. The module sends power to only the appropriate trailer signal wire if only one car signal wire is energized. If the car brake light wire is energized, the module sends power to both the trailer signal wires.

HTH
    Last edited by kwilford; 08-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working on the lighting aspect of my project today(at work) and I thought I'd search around for what's new in LED replacement bulbs.

Can someone provide me with the bulb numbers for the brake and turn signal bulbs?

Currently, I'm working on the concept of replacing the 4 bulbs on the car and the 8 bulbs in the lenses, front facing and rear facing, of my trailer with LED ones, so that I don't have to upgrade all the wiring and fuzes in the car to handle the trailer's lights.

I'm open to alternate suggestions.
    Maybe not the simplest but have you thought about creating a wiring disconnect that allows you separate the rear taillights/turn signals on the car such that when you plug the trailer in, ONLY the trailer lights light and function, and when you disconnect the trailer you reconnect the cars rear lights? When you have the trailer hooked up, you wont need, nor do I believe you would be required by any law that I can think of, to have the actual tail lights on the car functioning as the trailer would effectively block them anyway. I would review state vehicle laws in your state, first, just to be sure.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mainly, I asked my wiring question in case there was some sort of strange electrical majic going on at the brake switch/blinker relay that I wasn't aware of that enabled the one wire to light all the parking/running light and still make brake lights come on. You guys pretty much clued me in that the GT has seperate wiring for each bulb function that modern cars don't have.

I've just completed the wiring of the trailer. I added an extra wire for the brake lights. I also wire-tied and secured all the wires so they don't flop around and put sheathing around all the bundled wires where they exit the trailer.

Tomorrow I'll start on the car. I'll install the car's trailer harness, remove the bumpers, install my LED license plate illumination bolts, more LED bulbs for the side marker lights(the 4 rear lights are already LED), add my resisters to the turn signal lights to eliminate the double flash, and start the process of fitting the trailer hitch.

Luckily, finally, there's been tolerable low 80's temperatures today and tomorrow that will make working outdoors seem a lot less like being a short order cook in Hell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Module for Opel gt

Your making it way more difficult then need be. Use the wireing from the trail.wire the converter I mentioned in earlier post to opelnut. Plug in 4 wire from trailer to converter and all works like factory

Mainly, I asked my wiring question in case there was some sort of strange electrical majic going on at the brake switch/blinker relay that I wasn't aware of that enabled the one wire to light all the parking/running light and still make brake lights come on. You guys pretty much clued me in that the GT has seperate wiring for each bulb function that modern cars don't have.

I've just completed the wiring of the trailer. I added an extra wire for the brake lights. I also wire-tied and secured all the wires so they don't flop around and put sheathing around all the bundled wires where they exit the trailer.

Tomorrow I'll start on the car. I'll install the car's trailer harness, remove the bumpers, install my LED license plate illumination bolts, more LED bulbs for the side marker lights(the 4 rear lights are already LED), add my resisters to the turn signal lights to eliminate the double flash, and start the process of fitting the trailer hitch.

Luckily, finally, there's been tolerable low 80's temperatures today and tomorrow that will make working outdoors seem a lot less like being a short order cook in Hell.
    My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I'll stop by the trailer and/or auto parts store and see what they've got before I do anything.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Downloads
    Uploads

Trailer adapter

Hopkins 44885, I think see previous post
    My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Gordon, Here is what I did on my little trailer as the original set up was like yours.

Green becomes your right turn signal.
    Yellow becomes left turn signal
    Brown is Tail/license/Running lights. This is hooked up to my license plate light on the GT. These lights on the trailer won't retain the parking function when you move the turn signal when the key is out. Remember I showed you this at the last car show and your "parking" signal system wasn't working correctly anyway, so this should be a moot point and is not required in the US.

I ran a red wire to the brake lights. You can either buy a 5 pin plug, remove the 4 pin plug and be on your way or use the 4 pin plug and have an additional connector for the brake lights.

This set up will simulate the GT lights.

This will get you where you want to be
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    I ran a red wire to the brake lights. You can either buy a 5 pin plug, remove the 4 pin plug and be on your way or use the 4 pin plug and have an additional connector for the brake lights.
    That's exactly what I ended up doing. 4-wire connectors on the car and trailer, plus an extra wire and connector/disconnect for the brakes. Had I known about the independent bulb thing before I started, I would have bought 5-wire connectors for both the car and trailer and used the 5th wire for the brakes.

Saturday I spent 6-8 hours wiring up all the lights in the trailer. Sunday I spent 6-8 hours installing the trailer hitch on the car and removing bumpers and lights to facilitate the hitch install and car wiring to come.

I'm burned out. I'm takin' a couple days off.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information