Das Boot - Page 8
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Das Boot

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Gordon,you need more pressure
    Thats look so when i do pissing

Norbert

We primitive Pilgrim Americans don't have fancy German turbo-boosted magnetic induction water systems. We all have donkeys walking on treadmills pumping our water.

Everyone's water comes out like old man wee-wee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    We all have donkeys walking on treadmills pumping our water.

Everyone's water comes out like old man wee-wee.

What Is that the second job after the job by USPS facility

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No Norbert, we don't put retired Americans on our water pump treadmills.

We use Canadians.

Here's a picture the next day, just before we left to watch the Jaguars get creamed by the Eagles. It was a good day, the Jags were creaming the Birds in the first half, then the chickens found their mojo in the second half and creamed the Jags 34-17. So, half the game was enjoyable to each of us.

I haven't been to an Eagles game in 25 years.

Cheerleaders are nice to look at.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 09-08-2014 at 07:18 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha! That looks awesome. You seriously put machine guns on a trailer to go behind your Opel ha! Now you need a mustard gas generator (fog machine).
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT ARA AC, European 2.0L and Weber DGAS
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa "Fancy Rat Rod"

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Das Boot Goes to War!............Again!

I gave Norbert the project of working out and setting up a new configuration of the trailer with Snoopy and the guns. This is the look I've been after these past few years, with the Snoop scanning the skies through his Opel gun sights for the Baron, meanwhile, behind him there will be the Red Baron plane getting ready to shoot him down. The plane sits on a pole that pierces the wing and will be suspended over his head just behind him.

I'm not going to do the Red Baron thing with the GTX, it needs no car show enhancement. At shows, I can bring the trailer and set it up as it's own display of Red Baron/Snoopy stuff and the car can just be the car. At tomorrow's home town car show, however, I will also be able to bring the SolstOpel and it will be the Red Baron car and will have the 1:18 scale model that Norbert made sitting on the roof and a couple of Snoopy things.

It's all for the kids and the women. Mainly the women..........who cares about the dang snot-nosed kids that I'll be beating with a dipstick to get them to stop hanging from my side view mirrors. Women lose their minds when Snoopy comes to town. Hopefully they'll lose their clothes, too!

Hey, a man is nothing without his dreams, right?

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 05-27-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went for a cruise today to see some Ultra Light home made and kit aircraft and at a stop at an ice cream shop in the middle of nowhere I ran across a motorcycling couple with a red cycle and a Snoopy themed trailer with their enormous sheep dog inside.

Needless to say, I had to whip out the camera....

IMG_3830.jpg IMG_3829.jpg
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 06-25-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A little update to this thread.

The Red Baron is gone and now the trailer hitch is installed on my GTX car. I didn't like the external crossbar in the back, so deleted it and had "anti-sway blocks" of steel welded around the tongue attachment area to keep it from swinging right/left:

Then I had it red powdercoated:

And installed it on my GTX car:

The tongue now sticks out of a hole in my fiberglass tail extension:

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But, with only 2 bolts into just the rear crossbar of the chassis, I was nervous that hitting a pothole might tear the crossbar off the car. Also, the hitch tongue was able to flex up and down because it acted like a lever on the chassis crossbar and this would eventually stress the metal and help it tear loose. So I added temporary turnbuckles going from the crossbar to the tow eyes to pull forwards at it and reduce some of the flexing, but mainly to keep the chassis crossbar from getting torn off. But, I needed the attachment to be better than what I came up with, so I worked with Norbert to adapt the tow eyes into a more secure mounting location. These pictures show my small turnbuckles in place and the huge turnbuckles and adapters that Norbert made for me:

I didn't quite understand why he chose ones so big and when I went out today I tried to fit them and they were too long. I assumed he made them to simply replace my previous ones in the same, straight front to rear, orientation. But his idea was to angle each one towards the center where the hitch ball is. Something like this:

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But I still wanted the extra strength of some device to reinforce the chassis crossbar, in a straight front to rear orientation, where the hitch's crossbar mounts to it and I got the notion of adding my original turnbuckles back into the equation. I really like this set up. Here's a bunch of pics of pics of what I have in mind. Tomorrow I'll do the drilling and permanent mounting:

IMG_4812.jpg IMG_4813.jpg IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4816.jpg IMG_4817.jpg

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Norberts solution is more than adequate for your application. Adding your turnbuckles are just security for you but won't do much at all. (sorry, this is purely a logical conclusion)

What you DO need and don't have is something to mitigate the up and down motion that the hitch will experience. You have a VERY small support for the tongue weight (I understand that your trailer doesn't have much) and the hitch has, as it sits, a LOT of torsion opportunity. Step on your trailer ball and you will see it flex to the spoiler hole. You NEED something to replace that crossbar you don't like. What you can do, that I did when I added a hitch to my GT (towing 750 pounds regularly and 1500 pounds on two occasions) was to add length to the "stinger" and bolt it to the area under the fuel tank. I had to remove my tank to get to the spot but it worked.

Bottom line is a 1.5"X0.5" steel bar, spanning 3 feet, will have WAY too much twisty potential.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by First opel 1981; 1 Week Ago at 08:59 PM.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, you're correct in all your points. What I'm doing is a make shift rig job, plain and simple. The ideal solution would be something like this:

Design a new secondary crossbar that bridges between and attaches to the towing eyes and fabricate a new longer tongue to reach the new secondary crossbar.

The question has always been: How completely insane bonkers do I want to get with this trailer nonsense?

It's a solely decorative trailer that weighs about 250lbs and I carry no more than about 100lbs in it. It's got pretty neutral weight balance, when hitched empty it only applies about 15lbs of downward force on the trailer tongue. Consequently, it tends to pull up on the trailer hitch almost as much as it pushes down on the hitch when going over bumps. Adding the kiddee car and junk inside the trailer adds some more down force. It's solely for car shows that have the right environment to display the trailer effectively. Those types of car shows are few and far between. The trailer might see the road 5 times a year and it prefers the highway and loathes local driving and bumpiness. It totally sucks to pull a trailer with a jammin' cool sports car, so I'm not heavily motivated to tow the thing. Tearing the interior of the car out to drill holes in the pan below the tank or holes into the frame rails for the oem trailer hitch ain't gonna happen, I'll help the trashmen toss it in the recycle truck before I go to that much trouble.

So, I'm going to proceed with the install of Norbert's turnbuckles. The holes in the hitch's crossbar are already in place for my old turnbuckles, so there's no harm done if I reincorporate them. Because Norbert's tow eye adapters have now created a stable way to bolt something to the tow eye, my old turnbuckles can now be bolted to the assemblage through their eye bolts. Previously, they were only applying pulling force to the tow eyes via the "S" hooks, now the turnbuckles can be bolted in place at each end and add pushing and pulling strength. With the secondary turnbuckles, I can set the 2 sets of turnbuckles in opposition to each other(one pushing and one pulling on each side) to try to reduce potential flexing of the chassis crossbar.

It's an experiment. If it totally eliminates the small amount of flex I've detected at the tongue, then it's been a successful mod. Likely, however, it will only diminish the flex and only be a partially successful mod with room for improvement down the road.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Norberts solution will help a teensy bit.

Your flex on the hitch is coming from the weak points.

Your drawing is exactly what is needed. It's also how the trailer hitch on my last departed GT was configured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    opelgtguy and The Scifi Guy like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a long morning in a cold garage, but my trailer hitch crossbar reinforcement with multiple turnbuckles from the tow eyes is done. Everything is a lot stiffer, stronger, and tongue flex is diminished. I replaced many of the bolts with longer hardened ones and lock nuts and some red Loktite to the bolts that grab the tow eyes.:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information