Gordo's GTX
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree1299Likes

Thread: Gordo's GTX

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gordo's GTX

Ta-dahhhhh!

Here’s my new car guys. It’s called the GTX for now. The “X” stands for EXTREME!!!!! The adjustable fiberglass wing and the Lenk hood aren’t done yet. I guess this will be my build thread, but it should more accurately be described as my strip ‘n’ build thread because I’m gonna take most of the good stuff off of the Red Baron to build it. The Baron will be dumbed down and I might use it for my bash ‘n’ crash car or flip it to a friend.

I want to do every extreme mod I can think of as I build it including an electronic display dash, electric windows/locks/door openers, maybe an all wood interior(wood floors?), etc. I’ll consider and attempt any mod that no one has done yet. I don’t have the deep pockets of some of our members, so everything that I have the skills for will be done by me. It’ll probably be a 2 year build before I’m done and it’s road worthy. I don’t really give a fig if I ever drive it, I just love having GT’s as a platform to do interesting projects to and I just love having one in my garage to look at.

I bought this car from a guy in Washington State about 3 years ago. He had done most of the mods you see on it, except for the morphed/adapted ground effects, lower rear panel treatment, and the gas cap out the rear. He’d done all the work and then stuck it in his garage for 14 years and moved onto other projects. Five projects down the road, his wife said “You’re not getting another car until you get rid of one you already have!!!” I got it for $1500!!!!!!!!!!!! A steal! It cost another $1500 to have it shipped cross-country to me here in Jersey. I tossed another $5000 at it for kit parts, auto body work to finish and modify it even more, and the paint job. The color is classic Ford truck red. I coated the entire underside, all of the interior, edges, and the engine compartment/headlight area forward of the radiator in POR-15. The Steinmetz flares were properly reinforced by cutting the old wheel arches into strips and folding them out to support the flares. The Ferrari Dino style side air scoops and the headlight mods were done with 3” pipe. He removed the headlight rotating stuff, cut out the bottom of the buckets and pierced through the sides of the buckets with some angle iron to provide a place to mount mini headlight or fog lights in the pipes. I will be putting LED turn signals in the side scoops. The side windows were covered over, but the openings are still there on the inside. I’m going to have Opel blitz’s etched into the old window glass, install some kind of hidden background lighting, and reinstall the windows from the inside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here’s some more detail pics

Check out the warping of the reflection in this shot. Wicked!!!!

Member Site Supporter My location jerseydave's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The bodywork and paint came out pretty nice. I remember this car when it was up for sale and remember how rough it was. If you take stuff off of your car and this is a 2 year project will there be a period of time you are without a working Opel?
    wankelgt and John32 like this.
    Dave

73 Opel GT-work in progress
    74 Manta
    75 Manta

Previous
    72 Manta Rallye-owned 1974-1979 (Avatar picture))

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember in discussion during Dave's car repaint you mentioned you had a GTX. I thought to myself, Hmmm, Mopar guy, too? Wonder if he's got a Hemi?" Then you advised me of what GTX meant......

This should be an interesting build thread. Unfortunately I cannot again see your pictures that you have posted. It seems that it's only your posts that I have this problem with (if anyone reads this, can you possibly advise me as to what's happening? I would much appreciate it!)

Gordon, was this the car that has been in the body shop for a while? And as Dave asks, does this mean you are Opel-less for up to 2 years? Either way, should be a fun thread. Wish you the best with it!
    Take Care,
    Mike
    wankelgt likes this.

Your Noble Friend ;-) My location G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck, and enjoy it.
    Oh, BTW, you need larger wheels

Dieter

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a fun project. It's always cool to have something different. In the world of Ford, Chevrolet and Mopar having an Opel is unique to start with. But it's always more fun to have a unique Opel.
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    and just like that my car seems boring now.
    wankelgt likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya421 View Post
    Awe.....Do not feel that way. Gordons car is sexy and shiny and cool....but there is still nothing like a traditional Opel. The only part I truly envy is shiny paint. I may have to give up on my plans to get my pilot's license in lieu of a paint job for my "Cali"

Seriously impressive work.

Lori
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are we talking about his car being sexy, shiny and cool or his hairdont. Bazinga

Oh im kidding.. but my two favorite cars are Ferrari Dino GT and Opel GT. Gordo is knocking it out of the park with this one!
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    Paul Heebink
    Downloads
    Uploads
    why can't I see the pics?
    I am logged in
    wankelgt likes this.
    Paul "azopelnut" Heebink
    1956 Studebaker Power Hawk 259 V8
    1970 GT 12A-Rotary 5-speed
    1972 GT 2.0, 5-speed
    1973 GT #1, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 GT #2, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 Ascona 4-door 2.2 5-speed A/C
    1974 Manta, 1.9 Auto A/C
    1975 Sportwagon 1.9 FI 4-speed A/C
    1975 Fiat X19

Real Name
    Paul Heebink
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oops...refreshed revealed the pics AWESOME
    wankelgt likes this.
    Paul "azopelnut" Heebink
    1956 Studebaker Power Hawk 259 V8
    1970 GT 12A-Rotary 5-speed
    1972 GT 2.0, 5-speed
    1973 GT #1, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 GT #2, 1.9 4-speed
    1973 Ascona 4-door 2.2 5-speed A/C
    1974 Manta, 1.9 Auto A/C
    1975 Sportwagon 1.9 FI 4-speed A/C
    1975 Fiat X19

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

"GPX-Signets"

Hi
    Its a cool new GPX project,but the style is not my taste.
    Fore me the Red Baron is a GT all of the world knows him
    Here are two things that will fit for the GPX.
    Norbert

xtreme schriftzug | eBay

Opel GT 1900 Frontgrill Lenk LT07 | eBay
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya421 View Post
    Ha! Ha! Yuk! Yuk!

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? To out do everyone else!

Alas, there's a bunch of GT's that beat the puss out of this one. VinyCharb's, the yellow Gullwing one, anything Keith Lundholm has done, etc.

Another way to think about it is that it's a carrot on a stick. It gives you guys something to aspire to. I'm a shallow pocketed guy and I can't afford, nor do I have the skills, to take a GT much further than this. Heck, I didn't do most of the really cool mods that were done on this car. It's mostly the PO's work with a few ideas of my own thrown in. Some of his ideas were stupid and I had them removed.

But it's all relative. This is my 5th GT, my first 2 were $100 green ones and both had so much rust bubbling the paint off that they looked like GT-shaped cauliflowers. I drove both of those for a year, back in the early 80's, and just left them on the side of the road when they wouldn't go no more. The yellow one in the pic below was my pride and joy and I had it for 18 years and 200+K miles. Even so, I bought that car from a guy who bought it from a girl who had run it under the rear crossmember of a tractor trailer. He claimed to have gotten the last complete set of body panels from GM and everything from the windshield forward had been replaced. Later I put a full body kit on it. 6 months of doing body putty everyday after work out in the open in my apartment complex parking lot. The Red Baron's whole right front headlight/wheel well/and fender were blow-torched off of another car and poorly welded on to repair accident damage by the PO 25 years ago. The belly pan and rocker panels were replaced and the floor boards are held together by me slopping fiberglass and resin all over them.

So all my GT's were crapp. I'm just really good at disquising the fact. So, all you guys 'n' gals with beat up GT's, take heart: If you put enough effort into them and keep plugging away, you too can have a pretty nice car.
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just thinking out of the box... Just to avoid any water trapping on the rear quarters; what if there was an LED circle around the inner circumference of the vent tubes, and a secondary turn signal/running light in the middle. It could be 'Frenched', to set off the faux brake vents. By the way, your project is SICK. Keep posting your progress.

Wes
    wankelgt likes this.

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gordon, looks like you have a great start to a great project. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

You have a great vision and a great since of humor, we can not take things to serious or it takes all the fun out of it.

My new project will sport the same fender flares down the road. till the time comes that I can buy them, can I ask a favor? I am working on the width of my rear end and front suspension, can you give me the measurement from the inside of the rear tub to the outside of the fender flare, and on the front from the inner shock flange, under the front fender to the outside of the front fender flare?

Thanks in advance
    Pat
    Last edited by broszzy; 09-20-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    wankelgt likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Opps forgot to add this example
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wankelgt likes this.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pat

That looks like three feet to me!
    The Scifi Guy, ken2 and wankelgt like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dan, I think you are reading to far into this:banghead:
    More like two feet, eleven and 3/4 inches LOL
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Measure:
    I'll get the measurements for you as soon as I can.

Side scoops:
    They actually enter into the car, in this cavity between the skin and metal inside the wheel wells. Left unplugged up, I'd have twin jets of air blowing straight at the backs of the rear turn signals. I'd previously mentioned some stupid ideas of the PO's, his biggest was to spray household open cell foam into all the hollow cavities in the rear of the car(not the rockers or anything farther forward). I spent two months straight every day after work with a coat hanger, wire brushes, long skinny screw drivers, etc. scraping it all out of there. Then I went into all of those areas again and did the whole clean/prep/paint POR-15 process to all the nooks and crannies. I had POR-15 on me for months. I had to put a giant box fan in the car with me to blow away the toxic POR-15 fumes, while I had my whole head and body where the gas tank used to be trying to get at all those nooks and crannies. His other F-up was to put Dynamat everywhere. Ceiling, doors, floors, behind the seats area. Dad Gum that stuff was a PIA to get off! It trapped water and the glue was causing a rust reaction.

I'd already adressed the concept of what to do with the scoops. Of course, the first thing I thought of was Nerf Torpedo Launchers. But at 65mph I figured that they'd bend in the wind and blow away. Flamethrowers, retro rockets, smoke screen exhausts, Silly String squirters, and exterior car speakers all made the list, naturally. So, instead, I thought "Let's do something crazy!", and I opted for these nice LED turn signals I found. Mounting anything in there is really tight and hard to screw or drill anything, so I found these lights on ebay that have a generous rubber grommet around the outside that was just right to just get pushed in and hold real good. I won't get to that step for quite some time.

To answer other questions, it likely WILL become the new Red Baron......eventually. I'd REALLY rather have giant Opel blitzes all over it, like I have on the Baron's hood. Blitzes on the hood, doors, and roof, maybe even the tail panel. To be honest, I'm not that jazzed about the tail panel mod. I really, REALLY hate that there isn't any kind of mud flap-like extrusion on these Steinmetz flare kits. From behind, in my opinion, they make your car look like a short fat chick with high lumpy hips. My yellow car's Mirage kit came with with two rear end treaments: A full across the back panel with wide 2" drop mud flap extrusions and the other was two individual 4" drop mud flap extrusions. I chose those and they were so good on a stock GT, I can't tell ya. I'm gonna use those wide tires on the turbine rims that were in my How to Build and Opel Trailer thread. My budget is blown for the coming year, so I'm gonna have to suffice with stuff I have for now. I paid for the fix up of the Red Baron by renting out a room in my house for 2 years. I might have to do that again.

I'm gonna try not to be Opeless. The Baron will be at next year's Carlisle with trailer in tow and the whole Red Baron freak show. I'm gonna focus on putting the windows and headliner in first. I've never done either and I'm terrified. Tom King said he put his front windshield in all by himself by laying a bag of cement on it!!! Next will be all the electrical mods in the doors. You guys will like that part of the thread. Electric windows, locks, door openers! Maybe Lambo doors! Has anyone done that yet? Then I could have an Opel Lambodino GTX! That should get us through the Winter........
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 09-20-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    wankelgt likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here’s some pics of it stored:

YOUR GT dream garage?

Holy Cow! I need a bigger garage!!!

The trailer sits back nicely by resting on it’s bumperettes. Still, I have to have it 1” from the wall and I have to push the Baron into the garage until the front bumper hits the trailer’s tire, in order to close the garage door. The trailer’s gonna over-winter in JerseyDave’s Opel Storage Complex.

The lift clears the Baron’s roof by 4”, but the GTX lies a scant 2” from the ceiling. Note to self: Do not drink before operating lift!

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 09-20-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    wankelgt likes this.

Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information