Long awaited Father and Son project - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Long awaited Father and Son project

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh crapp

Well we got most of the parts taken off to begin sanding it down. The dash looks really bad and some of the switches are wrong. Two sets of the Wipe/Defog/Fan switches were mounted in the dash. The dash was recovered at one time and is disintegrated underneath. Wires look good but I'm still waiting for my complete wire harness. Wrote the company for the shipping docs, haven't heard back yet in 3 days but although they do take their time they have been in contact with me. (I keep telling myself I haven't been screwed yet but I am starting to worry.) . So Jon has been busy getting everything pulled out. We hung plastic in the garage to keep the dust out of everything and put the car on stands. more to follow in the coming weeks as we will be working on it every weekend through December.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tracyfam; 11-11-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your GT looks to be in great shape, good luck with your body and paint work!

Pat

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyfam View Post
    Wires look good but I'm still waiting for my complete wire harness. (I keep telling myself I haven't been screwed yet but I am starting to worry.)
    It may be held up in customs due to a massive untracable backlog in a huge warehouse at JFK in NYC. I just recently had to wait 5-6 weeks for a package from Germany to finally get to me. It had actually arrived in the U.S. in about a week. I'm a Postal Worker, so I started a search and that's when I learned that just about all packages from Germany end up in one warehouse at JFK in NYC while they wait to be processed by customs. There's no way to trace them once they enter that Black Hole of Calcutta, you just have to be patient and wait. If they sent it by DHL/Deutche Post, then that's where it probably is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, that actually quells my nerves a bit. I appreciate the insight.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check your PM.

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Latest progress

Well, since the last update in December, Jon is back in MN and I have finally begun to make serious progress. I have started sanding down the paint to get to the original primer and attempt to locate any rust holes. So far so good. I have the bulk of driver's side done as well as the roof and I am now going down the passengers side.

I do have an update on the wire harness I attempted to purchase from Kabel Groß Kabelbaum, Oldtimerrestauration, Motorkabelbaum, Kabelbäume, Fahrzeugleitungen, Crimpkontakte, Kabelschuhe In a nutshell they took my money and ran. My German friends told me my only hope is to hire a lawyer. They apparently have a track record of ripping people off and I just didn't do my homework well enough. Learn from my mistake my brothers and sisters.

Oh well, can't stop now, sunk too much into this already to give up. Not that I would. My Bride has been gracious enough to let me alone for an hour a day to work on it. Here are some pictures to show the progress.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Kid at heart
    Real Name
    Beelzebub
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you paid by credit card, call your card company and file a fraud chargeback...

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, thought of that. Too bad I was in Germany at the time and decided to take a different approach of getting the payment to them. :banghead:
    Lesson learned.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just brought in doner car #5

Just got back into town from Minnesota. First and foremost to see my wife and our newest grandson, and second to retrieve my 72 GT that Jon has been holding in storage for me. The trip was actually to get stuff from my mother's house however, things turned out differently.

So, GT #5, Minnesota car, lots of bondo and rust. We couldn't get the motor running except with ether down the carb so I had hopes. After unloading and a bit of tinkering, my brother and I changed out the carb and she now runs like a top.

the car is complete and everything appears normal and functioning although there is a short and the gauges may or may not work. I did see that they all worked once so again I am hopeful.

So now a big question, should I attempt to save this car?

I am very tempted just to get her road worthy and drive it as is? Think Rat Rod. I have 3 sets of tires and two sets of wheels. Although I am now on the hunt for a forth to match the three black ones on the car. The original fourth to the set was lost last year, somewhere in the open field across from the K-mart in New Ulm MN. The story is too embarrassing as to why the wheel is there and not on the car.

To make it safe I will need to beef up the underside ad put in floor pans. Right now it is Flintstones drivable. I am also looking for the passengers seat hardware as it looks a bit ramshackled together. The rest of the interior is very very good, IMHO. The dash has one crack, the headliner looks fantastic and the back panels are all there and not torn or faded. The carpet will need replacing but OGTS has it so I'm good with replacing.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

More pics

More pics.

The underside pics do not really show the hole picture but it is pretty bad.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of people would put that one back together. I would be highly tempted.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gee, I was waiting to have you drop by.

Oh well.

I can come down there by the dogbus and install a wiring harness, or fix your's in one day.

Two if it's really that bad.

Including fuse box.

But you have to contribute to the Daily Driver Fund.
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks but I'm not to the point of doing the wiring just yet.

Oh and just a word of note on the rim I am looking for. its a 14 inch steel rim. If anyone has a spare, or one they are willing to part with. let me know.

Mike
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those wheels are not Opel. Look on the wheel and you will find the codes that will help identify the manufacturer. HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, uh, right, I knew that. :banghead: Some of you may notice that I type things out before actually thinking.

They are 14x5J 11 13 95 2.5

97-00 Honda Civic?
    Last edited by tracyfam; 03-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The rims do look like a FWD. I'm no expert on rims, but FWD have different offsets and they are normally hub centric, not lug centric. The GT's are lug centric. You may want to speak to a wheel center to discuss if these are OK with this car. I'm sure other memebers here can give more info too.

It looks like a later '72 (after 01/72) since the switches have words on them instead of univeral symbols. The seat belt light is also a giveaway!
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Free parts in san antonio

I have 5 gt/s lots of parts for free. I have a new the box wiring harness.from GM germany. You can call me@ 210-214-8041.Mike McFall

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Summer Progress

Well, not much progress over the summer here. Started cleaning and laying down a coat of primer. Made a trade and have new leather shift boot and e-brake boot. I will also be having a steering wheel covered as well to match.

So I am also beginning a welding class at the local high school in two weeks. Yes I'm 46 but hey, you're never too old to learn.
    manta73wi likes this.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyfam View Post
    Well, not much progress over the summer here. Started cleaning and laying down a coat of primer. Made a trade and have new leather shift boot and e-brake boot. I will also be having a steering wheel covered as well to match.

So I am also beginning a welding class at the local high school in two weeks. Yes I'm 46 but hey, you're never too old to learn.
    That's assume!! Check out you local welding supply house to see if they offer a student discount on welding gear.

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK so I am 3/4 done with welding classes and I need a project. Can't bring in the car itself and I have some sheet metal to practice on. But I was thinking of making a towbar. Does anyone have a set of plans for a towbar I could build?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Mike "Dick" Tracy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information