Long awaited Father and Son project
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Long awaited Father and Son project

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Long awaited Father and Son project

And so it begins. I just picked up a 73 GT project that was began by another member of the OpelGT.com family. First photo of it after coming off the trailer. more to follow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    manta73wi, ggl, wanted31 and 1 others like this.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy
    Number 5 and 6 in SATX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Arrow The next Greater Milwaukee Area Gathering

To try and keep things going this summer. Greater Milwaukee Area Gathering 12 June 04 @ Tracy's house, 4315 S Moorland Rd, New Berlin, WI with cruise late afternoon to Lee's Ice Cream Stand on Greenfield ave. I'll have drinks and we'll go to the local burger joint (Culvers/McD/BK all with a mile) for late lunch like last time. Start time will be when ever you get here. Come with or without your Opel. Directions:

Coming from Chicago: North on I 94 to South I43/West I894, continue on I43 to Beloit, Exit Right on Moorland Rd, 1 Mile North to Large white farm house on the left.

Coming from Rockford: I43 North Exit Moorland Rd going Left, 1 Mile North to Large white farm house on the left.

From Madison: I94 East to Moorland Rd Going Right, about 7 Miles South Large white farm house on the Right. 1 Mile South of National Ave.

Congrats on the new project, keep those boy's busy and out of trouble
    I found this old post and wondering if you are in TX or WI?

Pat

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm down in Texas. San Antonio area to be more precise and I'm looking to get together with any fellow Opelers.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy
    Number 5 and 6 in SATX

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck w/the project... I just drove thru Texas (again) and must plan ahead next time to join one of your get togethers... hopefully w/an Opel...
    Craig Roberts

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This will be an excellent father and son project and you will have one of the more unique classic cars in the process. How busy do you think Pat keeps his kids making wheel polishers? I really liked those pictures.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great project, I'm starting one as well with my dad.. we got an eye on a '71 model.. just a few questions.. what do u think about the state of if ? and about that bumper, looks plastic...

Senior Member My location rmelchiori's Avatar
    Real Name
    Randy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wanted71, the outside looks pretty good. Of course, it's what's underneath the car and underneath the carpet that matters the most. I doubt that the bumper it plastic, it's most likely been painted black. Good luck on your project. Those father/son memories to come will be priceless in the future.
    itb gt and wanted31 like this.

Mid-West Opeler My location sawdust's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    looks like a GT-J

Keep it that way.
    wanted31 likes this.
    Projekt 2017 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

Real Name
    Randy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    European maybe?? No rear side marker lights?

Real Name
    Randy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, that car is probably a 70 since pop out rear side windows came out in 71. While some 69 and 70 models probably have been converted to pop outs, I doubt that 71-73 models were converted to stationary side windows.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It must be the GT-J. But I would like to change the bumper for a chrome one... I will keep u posted guys..

The GT/J was built from 1970 to 1973 and was a slightly cheaper version of the GT. It had a 90 hp 1900 cc four cylinder engine that gave the car a top speed of 185 km/h.
    Last edited by wanted31; 09-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wanted31 View Post
    It must be the GT-J. But I would like to change the bumper for a chrome one... I will keep u posted guys..

The GT/J was built from 1970 to 1973 and was a slightly cheaper version of the GT. It had a 90 hp 1900 cc four cylinder engine that gave the car a top speed of 185 km/h.
    Where are you located?? No GT/J's were officially imported into the U.S. It looks like someone just painted the bumpers. All bumpers, including bumperettes would be black. The gas cap would be gray and non locking. The interior would have a rubber floor, no carpeting. The oil and amp guages are indicator lights only and there would be a blank where the clock goes. The wheels would look like the '71-72 style with the circular holes all around the perimeter with no hubcaps or trim rings. It would also have a black GT/J stripe down each side of the car if it had its original paint. The front and back windshield would not have the chrome strip in the sealing rubber

My guess is the PO had damaged rear marker lights, filled in the holes prior to the respray unless it is a GT/J. New ones, even back then, were very expensive. Remove a rear turnsignal housing any look for bodywork where the holes would be.

Good Luck with the project and keep us in the loop with your progress.
    Last edited by jlthunder; 09-24-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There do not seem to be any chrome locking strip grooves around the windows. Wasn't that also a European thing? Also the front nose looks a little weird. The nose vents drop of sharply instead of with a curve. Could indicate some excessive bondo work. I've never seen one like that.

tracyfam, good luck on your project. I wish that I could get one of my sons to help with my project!
    Last edited by opelgtcr8z; 09-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Scott

1969 GT Opel 2.0 abandoned
    1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyfam View Post
    And so it begins. I just picked up a 73 GT project that was began by another member of the OpelGT.com family. First photo of it after coming off the trailer. more to follow
    Hey Mike,
    Glad to hear you have another GT! I remember your son being quite keen on the Opels back in your family's Milwaukee days, so I'm glad you guys are going to be getting to work on the new GT. Enjoy!
    -Jeff W

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    Where are you located?? No GT/J's were officially imported into the U.S. It looks like someone just painted the bumpers. All bumpers, including bumperettes would be black. The gas cap would be gray and non locking. The interior would have a rubber floor, no carpeting. The oil and amp guages are indicator lights only and there would be a blank where the clock goes. The wheels would look like the '71-72 style with the circular holes all around the perimeter with no hubcaps or trim rings. It would also have a black GT/J stripe down each side of the car if it had its original paint. The front and back windshield would not have the chrome strip in the sealing rubber

My guess is the PO had damaged rear marker lights, filled in the holes prior to the respray unless it is a GT/J. New ones, even back then, were very expensive. Remove a rear turnsignal housing any look for bodywork where the holes would be.

Good Luck with the project and keep us in the loop with your progress.
    Thank You for the inside. I'm located in Poland, the car was from Germany originally.

I would like to replace all those GT/J part with a normal GT chrome style. What do You think guys ???

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wanted31 View Post
    Thank You for the inside. I'm located in Poland, the car was from Germany originally.

I would like to replace all those GT/J part with a normal GT chrome style. What do You think guys ???
    I thought it was a europenn GT as I could see the long range driving lights under the bumper. US versions didn't get them unless they were added later(like mine).

It is your car so do what you want. I think a fully restored GT/J would be cool as there aren't as many of them, but I also like carpeting & guages too!!

A lot of US GT's installed the GT/J front and rear window rubber to eliminate the "chrome" strip.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

And so it begins

Finally, we have started the project. We have been collecting a few tools and supplies and getting a few parts together before we started. Time was not our friend as something always seemed to come up so we didn't have time to actually start. We are still waiting for the wiring harness to come in and we will need to come up with an entirely new interior, as very few parts came with the car. We began by washing the car down with baking soda and water just to get the bulk of the grime off.

The car was stripped of most parts however, we still had parts to take off. The engine is out and on a pallet but parts of the exhaust where still hanging on. oddly enough it was strapped to the parking brake cable. The exhaust was cut off and the brackets look to be in great shape but the mufflers and pipes will need to be replaced. Bumpers, lights and all trim and emblems were taken off and we do have a couple of new lenses so that was all put away for now.

Jon adjusted cable and we found that the parking brake is in good working order. The PO had done some work and added the big brake conversion so I'm curious to see what we have to replace there. The wheels are aftermarket 13's and as usual I'm having a hard time finding tires that I like or a 15" package that's in budget.

BTW, the PO has a set of Steinmetz flares and custom Coddington wheels if anyone is interested. It's out of my budget for now and the wheels would not look good without the flares.

Back to the car. We have a new fiberglass belly pan and so far what appears to be one two inch long rust hole behind the passengers rear wheel. the floor looks solid as the PO did some repairs and the entire underside is sprayed with a new layer of bed liner type under coating. the rear end has had some resent work with the before mentioned big brake package and adjustable Lower control arms and track rod.

On a whim and please nobody flame me for doing it, I saw that Jay Leno asked for submission to his video series "Jay Leno's Garage", so I submitted something and mentioned a few of you as well as mentioning opelgt.com a few times. Hopefully I didn't get my facts screwed up as I did it kind of spur of the moment. Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JayLenosGarage

So what's next? Jon and I have a three day and a four day weekend coming up for November. We will be aggressively prepping the car for paint and hopefully we'll have the wires so we can get going on that. We have found we need more tools and parts will need to be found and ordered. Speaking of parts, does anyone have a good source for the XXR 513s rims? (I believe from all I've read these will work). Also, seats and interior pieces.

Also, suggestions are always appreciated.
    T-Roy likes this.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy
    Number 5 and 6 in SATX

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    looks like a nice straight foundation. Thats the hardest part.

Congrats, cant wait to see more updates. Get that boy workin hard...

Downloads
    Uploads
    1.Cool Jay Leno video!

2. Congradulations on your new porject!

3.I've always had this weird assumption that GT engine bays were always painted the same color as the body. i.e. my Yellow gt has a yellow engine bay from the manufacture.
    But your white car as a black bay???? Interesting tid bit I didn't know.

4.Where did you get your wiring harness from?? I'm afraid my restoration may require all new wiring, but I've never taken the time to research a source for it. I've been meaning to ask Gil @ OGTS but I keep forgetting about it.

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Viny,
    1. Thanks
    2. Thanks
    3. The paint is not original. It's actually that dull orange and the engine bay was that color as well. The red spots you see are where the white peeled from the coat of red primer. We'll start stripping the paint this weekend coming up.
    4. I ordered the wiring harness from Kabel Groß UG out of Germany. I used this source because I was living in Germany when I ordered it and it was easiest at the time. Now I'm not sure that was a good idea as it has been 4 months and still no package. They have been responding to me, just not very fast. I'm still hoping this turns out as a full wiring harness is not cheap.
    Mike "Dick" Tracy
    Number 5 and 6 in SATX

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information