Opel 2.0 - The sequel
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Opel 2.0 - The sequel

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel 2.0 - The sequel

I finally decided to start tracking my '69 Opel GT restoration. I owned a 1970 GT since 1985. After Marriage, Kids and other things that make up life's distractions, I decided that it was high time that I restored my 70 Opel. Unfortunately, after tearing into it and fixing things on the underside, I realized that while the car looked good on top, it was too far gone structurally to justify the restoration. Last summer I made the painful decision to chop the car up for parts and locate a better start for a restoration. I found two cars, a 1970 from northern IL, (purchased last year) and a 1969 from St. Bernice, IN. (late last year). The 70 had a good upper body but the interior and floorboards had been trashed by mice. Luckily the '69 became available. It has a near perfect floorpan but needs some body work. I found the car west of Paris IL where I live sitting next to a barn. The property owner said that it belonged to someone in St. Bernice, IN and they wanted him to crush it for them since it had been taking up too much space for 20 years in their barn. Awful glad that I asked when I did. I have already started the preliminaries and will post some photos to get this thread started.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some pics from the beginning. I went to the Route 66 Festival in Springfield, IL yesterday. Met several fellow Opelers there and got some inspiration. Nice to meet opelmel, saxybiker, donha, lesliewk, and madmann. Attached are some pics as promised in my previous post. Some front damage at the nose and a previous bonk in the back passenger side. As you can see, I have already welded a donor nose piece on the front and have a donor piece cut for the back. Slow going but it's a start! Not sure if I'll make it for Springfield next year but we'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the party!

Keep us posted!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Resident Curmudgeon My location Opelmel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Here are some pics from the beginning. I went to the Route 66 Festival in Springfield, IL yesterday. Met several fellow Opelers there and got some inspiration. Nice to meet opelmel, saxybiker, donha, lesliewk, and madmann. Attached are some pics as promised in my previous post. Some front damage at the nose and a previous bonk in the back passenger side. As you can see, I have already welded a donor nose piece on the front and have a donor piece cut for the back. Slow going but it's a start! Not sure if I'll make it for Springfield next year but we'll see.
    Less typing - more working. Only 363 days to "git 'er done"!

Opel Addicts My location saxybiker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice to meet you yesterday Scott. You will get lots of support and advice (wanted or not ) here.

Welcome!
    Frozen Tundra GT likes this.

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like some good finds, and you've made some progress. Keep us posted!

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more progress. The welds on the nose were ground down and I skinned the whole thing with plastic filler to fix weld imperfections. (I'm not a great welder) Hope the car doesn't look like frankenstein when I am done Don't know what happened to the back deck panel. After sanding some more, it looks like someone had shot it with a shot gun. Lots of little BB sized dents to pound out. That's going to take a while. Hammered a few more out today. Still need to sand the rest of the panel. Hopefully it's smooth underneath...

(Please pardon the headlight bucket "tool holders") Those things are handy!
    Scott

1969 GT Opel 2.0 abandoned
    1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Some more progress....

(Please pardon the headlight bucket "tool holders") Those things are handy!
    The buckets makes excellent catch alls.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Scott. It was great talking to you over the weekend. Looks like you have a good start there, Keep us posted on progress, The best site in the world for Opel's
    Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not much visible work done today. Removed heater core and blower, removed fuse box and all electrical, removed master cylinder and booster, removed both headlight mechs and linkage. Found a hidden rust spot in the cowl under the wiper motor. Wow! Big rust hole. That would definitely pour into the car in the rain. Gotta get that cut out and replaced. I did manage to cut a replacement piece out of the old blue opel donor car. Need to do more work to drill out welds and prep the piece for welding. I am amazed that the shell of a car that's left is still giving me some unexpected parts! More amazement: With the obscure rust spots and body work needed on my project car on the upper part, the fender wells had hear perfect access plates for the headlamp mechanisms. Those are always rusty. The condition of the floorpans and fender wells were what drew me to the car. Hope to do some more work after church tomorrow. Wish I had a plasma cutter!
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, you're amazing. I've never seen anyone tear into a car like you. You have no fear, do you? I'm seeing parts of GT's that I never knew existed!

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Scifi. I really appreciate the encouragement. Don't be too amazed until its all back together. Cutting up is easy, reattachment is the hard part. I wish that I didn't have to mess with these parts. My "great" car had more issues than first expected. Tearing into it is not really a choice at this point. In the end it should be much better than the car that I cut up. Lots of structural problems underneath and remnants of 2 wrecks on the old blue opel that I cannibalized. I'll gladly do a little body work for a solid car underneath. Anyway, these things are nothing compared to building your own Opel trailer! That thing is awesome! It had to have taken a lot more engineering than what I am doing.

Some more progress made today. Only had a few hours. I drilled out the welds on the donor cowl piece, hammered it a little and cleaned it all up. Still some pitting on the exposed side from years of rain but not too bad. Had to cut away the curved hole for the dash vent tube to expose the rotten cowl pan. Started cutting it out and got something in my eye. I use a full face mask when I grind but had it flipped up when it should have been down. It's OK now but it cut me a bit short for the day. Hope to have some time after work this week to make some more progress.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

Really hoped to get some more progress done this week. To many late days at work and being too tired to do anything. Tonight I made a little progress. Finished cutting out the old piece of the cowl. Lots of work getting the surrounding space cleaned up for welding. Have to figure out how to seal the area when I am done. Anyone got any ideas of the best way to seal seams exposed to the elements so that they don't leak?
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Kid at heart
    Real Name
    Beelzebub
    Downloads
    Uploads
    automotove seam sealer or por 15 patch

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally got a chance to work on the car again this weekend. Finished up putting in the new cowl piece and welding the face hole back on. Need to finish it later with POR 15 (Thanks Tundra) After sanding a bunch more on the back deck panel and rear fender, I realized that the former damage had been patched with more Bondo than expected. It has been hit back there and another person has done a poor job of fixing it. I decided to replace the back deck panel and passenger fender section. Too much shot-gun blast and general bad metal to justify patching it again. Got the pieces cut and some of the flanges cleaned. My body panel supply is getting thin for the back of the car. Dry fit another piece from a rear-end I had bought about 23 yrs ago. Lots more work to do...
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Kid at heart
    Real Name
    Beelzebub
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow man, you are ambitious. I am surprised you didnt have a lil more luck with having multiple cars to chose from. Makes me realize how fortunate I am to find mine.
    You are obviously experienced and I must commend you for your effort. Keep up the hard work!

Gold star for you!
    RallyBob likes this.

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Tundra,
    Experienced? Not really. I watched my dad weld a factory replacement GT fender on my brother's car in 1978 when I was 9. I figured, "I could do that". With all the plastic filler and pop rivots that I had put on my old car in the late 80s, I just wanted this one to be steel replacement and done right. That nose piece was the first cut out and weld job that I have ever done.

I do have a buddy of mine who has multiple hot rod projects going on at any time - '59 caddy chop-top, 50 Mercury Chopped, etc. He's pretty Old School and has built some way cool cars in the past. It's his Hobby and he build cars only for himself or to sell. I get inspiration off of seeing some of his jobs being worked (and know that if I get stuck, he'll give me some help). He took me to my first Springfield Route 66 show a couple months back where I met several fine opelers from this site. I'll post a picture of his custom way cool '37 Lincoln Zephyr that we came in.

I would have liked to have had a perfect body car to start with but the two cars I acquired in 2010 and 2011 kinda fell into my lap and they were in my budget. One with a perfect upper body and really gnarly floorpans and this one with really fantastic pans and slightly Gnarly body.

Your car is great! You've got a really nice find there. I had been following your posts. That's the straight body I had hoped to find! Finding something like that in the North- well that's pretty rare. Good luck with your resto as well.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Real Name
    Adam Davidson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheers on the bonsai body work. You are leaving no panel un fixed. You are doing inspiring work for a guy in his back yard.
    1970 GT - Why can't I find any of my nuts.

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My friend's cool '37 Zephyr. I took this on the way home from the route 66 car show in Springfield. I'm in good hands if I get stuck. I need this kind of motivation or I get frustrated quickly on my projects. Motivation is hard for me or I get bored. Seeing all those Opels at the show and meeting some friendly Opelers sure springboarded me.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Kid at heart
    Real Name
    Beelzebub
    Downloads
    Uploads
    always loved chop top zephyr!

Motivation for me is setting the DVR to record wheeler dealers. overhaulin etc

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information