24v Ascona Wagon Upgrade - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 24v Ascona Wagon Upgrade

Opeler My location Bill Hoffmann's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What I don't like about shortening the e-brake lever is that you lose leverage on what I've always felt was a weak e-brake in the first place. Could it be off-set instead? Probably not, or you would be catching your fingernails on the seat all the time. How about rally style, like a beer tap

Bill

p.s. Looking good and can't wait to see this when you're done!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hoffmann View Post
    What I don't like about shortening the e-brake lever is that you lose leverage on what I've always felt was a weak e-brake in the first place.

Bill
    Not a problem for Gary as his right arm is noticeably larger than his left arm. Must have been a GT driver at one time.

Harold

P.S. Or on Ooooner's email list.

Your Noble Friend ;-) My location G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Not a problem for Gary as his right arm is noticeably larger than his left arm. Must have been a GT driver at one time.

Harold
    Jetzt mal was flaches mit Äkschn!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Manta Maniac Site Supporter My location Rionart's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pssst....Hydraulic handbrake....
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Details of the gear shift modifications are on the blog: 24V Ascona A Conversion: Gear Shifter Installation

Brake/clutch pedals and booster are next.

Good new is the exhaust pipe lines up with the existing pipe. My over the axle pipe has a hole in it so it's time to go even larger with the back half!
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pedal assembly installed and hydraulic clutch hooked up. I sandwiched two panels over what was left of the firewall to strengthen it. The 7 inch dual booster is coupled to a 1 inch bore master cylinder. The pedal assembly is from a 1990 Senator and it's booster would have interfered with the intake. There were other options, but the entire assembly with a proportional valve was priced very reasonably.

The distance from the tranny to torque tube is about 23 inches, cutting it close for a two piece driveshaft. That along with a 230hp motor and lack of limited slip options led me to explore upgrading the rear end. I decided to go with a Volvo 240 rear end. They are readily available (and cheap), and the differential is a Dana 30 which has plenty of gearing and LSD/locker options. I was able to pick up one with a 3.73 ratio at a local yard for $200.

The Volvo rear has disc brakes that use a small drum brake for the emergency brake. Both sides were shot and the calipers were in need of a rebuild so I will be using VW rear calipers with BMW rotors. The rotors bore will need to be opened 6mm to match the axle.

Volvo uses a 5x108 bolt pattern. With no 5 to 4 adapter plates available, the axles will need to be redrilled for Opels 4x100 pattern. I am making a drill guide to do this.

I've spent a lot of time researching Lockers for the Dana 30. Options range from "Lunch box" styles where just the spider gears are replaced with a ratcheting gear set to full blown LSD's. I've narrowed it down to two.

Powertrax No Slip Locker (Lunch box) and the Detroit Truetrac. Right now, I am leaning toward the Truetrac as it costs ~$30 more than the No Slip. The one time setup is more involved but it is much more robust.

Anyone have any experience with either?
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-02-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Geez Gary, yer a pretty clever dude!

Wow, who would have thought that Gary was so smart.

No.......really.........who?

Gary and jerseyopel like this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was wandering around a Harbor Freight store a couple of years back and noticed a planishing hammer marked down to $20.00. I had a vague idea of what it was used for but bought it mainly for the air hammer. It ended up on a shelf in my shed.

Well today, I was forming a piece of sheet metal to fill the hole under the brake booster and remembered the hammer. Broke open the box and hooked it up. It really smoothed out the hammer marks in that curved piece. I'm sure it will get further use when I do the tranny tunnel.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pictures please!

So, this planishing hammer is some kind of air hammer? Sounds neato!

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Pictures please!

So, this planishing hammer is some kind of air hammer? Sounds neato!

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Here's the hammer:

Pneumatic Planishing Hammer
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Here's the hammer:

Pneumatic Planishing Hammer
    When can i order a new GT or 356 shell

Made open the Gary "Iron Shell companie"
    Gary likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pedal assembly installed and hydraulic clutch hooked up. I sandwiched two panels over what was left of the firewall to strengthen it. The 7 inch dual booster is coupled to a 1 inch bore master cylinder. The pedal assembly is from a 1990 Senator and it's booster would have interfered with the intake. There were other options, but the entire assembly with a proportional valve was priced very reasonably.

The distance from the tranny to torque tube is about 23 inches, cutting it close for a two piece driveshaft. That along with a 230hp motor and lack of limited slip options led me to explore upgrading the rear end. I decided to go with a Volvo 240 rear end. They are readily available (and cheap), and the differential is a Dana 30 which has plenty of gearing and LSD/locker options. I was able to pick up one with a 3.73 ratio at a local yard for $200.

The Volvo rear has disc brakes that use a small drum brake for the emergency brake. Both sides were shot and the calipers were in need of a rebuild so I will be using VW rear calipers with BMW rotors. The rotors bore will need to be opened 6mm to match the axle.

Volvo uses a 5x108 bolt pattern. With no 5 to 4 adapter plates available, the axles will need to be redrilled for Opels 4x100 pattern. I am making a drill guide to do this.

I've spent a lot of time researching Lockers for the Dana 30. Options range from "Lunch box" styles where just the spider gears are replaced with a ratcheting gear set to full blown LSD's. I've narrowed it down to two.

Powertrax No Slip Locker (Lunch box) and the Detroit Truetrac. Right now, I am leaning toward the Truetrac as it costs ~$30 more than the No Slip. The one time setup is more involved but it is much more robust.

Anyone have any experience with either?
    I had a 77 Bronco and put the TrueTrax in the front axle. I liked it fine. Go over to a Bronco 4x4 site and ask them there how it works. My front axle was also the Dana30.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-02-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    TMK

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads

Axle drill guide

Here are my thoughts on a guide for redrilling the axles 5x108 bolt pattern to the Opel 4x100 so I can keep the same wheels.

<Deleted>

The two rotors will help to keep the drill guides perpendicular to the axle surface. Bolting them to the axle will lock the holes location.

Any flaws in this plan? Any other ideas?

Edit: Major flaw in this plan. Opel hubs are 4x100 not the rotors! Went to Plan B, BMW 4x100 rotors were used as guides. (Where is that banghead emoticon?)
    Last edited by Gary; 02-12-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Corrected method
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Dave
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am going to see a fellow down here in Florida that put a 240 rear in his GT and redrilled his flanges. I will see how he did his. He said I could test drive it to see how smooth it is with a Miata turbo under the hood! Yeee Hahhhhh!
    Gary likes this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Project blog updated: 24V Ascona A Conversion
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads

Down on all fours for now.

Here are a couple of pics of the wagon's profile. The front is 1 1/2" lower than the rear tire at the wheel wells. Front bumper is 3 1/2" lower than the rear. Looks like I will be rolling the fender lips.

Next up. Pulling the rear end out for the Volvo conversion.
    Travis and G.v.Mainberg like this.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think this sums this project up!
    Last edited by Gary; 02-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are my thoughts on a guide for redrilling the axles 5x108 bolt pattern to the Opel 4x100 so I can keep the same wheels.

<Deleted>

The two rotors will help to keep the drill guides perpendicular to the axle surface. Bolting them to the axle will lock the holes location.

Any flaws in this plan? Any other ideas?
    Sounds like something I would do but in this case, it might not work too well.

When you do a 5 lug to 4 lug conversion, one of the 5 lugs is always used in the new pattern. To convert to 4x100, you would need to move down one of the original studs about 4mm, then drill 3 new ones. You will quickly find that the new holes will be very close to some of the old ones.

Just go on Ebay and see a 4x100 to 5x108 adapter and you will see what I am talking about. And yes I know you are going the other way around, but this gives you a clear visual representation. But if you are handy with a welder, just fill in the holes and re-drill.
    Last edited by Gary; 02-12-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Wrong info in quote

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    Sounds like something I would do but in this case, it might not work too well.

When you do a 5 lug to 4 lug conversion, one of the 5 lugs is always used in the new pattern. To convert to 4x100, you would need to move down one of the original studs about 4mm, then drill 3 new ones. You will quickly find that the new holes will be very close to some of the old ones.

Just go on Ebay and see a 4x100 to 5x108 adapter and you will see what I am talking about. And yes I know you are going the other way around, but this gives you a clear visual representation. But if you are handy with a welder, just fill in the holes and re-drill.
    I edited my original post and the quote above. I missed one minor detail in my method. The Opel hubs have the 4x100 pattern not the rotors.

I didn't have an Opel brake drum available so I used a BMW rotor as a guide. The old holes were filled and new ones drilled. Juan is correct with the spacing. I could not locate a 5x108 to 4x100 adapter so that's why I decided to drill the axles.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I edited my original post and the quote above. I missed one minor detail in my method. The Opel hubs have the 4x100 pattern not the rotors.

I didn't have an Opel brake drum available so I used a BMW rotor as a guide. The old holes were filled and new ones drilled. Juan is correct with the spacing. I could not locate a 5x108 to 4x100 adapter so that's why I decided to drill the axles.
    I used to do this all of the time on smaller cars, you can never get an axle that conforms to the original bolt pattern. Since my eyesight is not to par with welding any more, I now send the axles to a place called Hudlow Axle in Rossville, Georgia. It is about 1 hour drive and they do the work for $75 per axle pair.

Looking at the rear end, the drive shaft will no longer sit square on the tunnel, it will be shifted to the side about two inches. Make sure it does not hit the tunnel when there is a load on the rear of the car.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information