The Volvo rear end install is detailed here: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/clutch-...-end-swap.html
Time to look at the driveshaft now that the rear end is in place.
The '90 Senator D/S is a two piece shaft with a center support, same as the Volvo. The front bolts to a rubber mount on the trans rear and a u-joint is after the center support.
After comparing both shafts, the Opel one will be much easier to adapt. I will mount a plate to the Opel torque tube bracket and bolt the center support to it. The front piece will need to be shortened and the rear piece mated to a shortened Volvo rear shaft.
Hope to have the dimensions set and drop the shafts off at the d-shaft shop this week.
I picked up a shifter from a Mustang at a swap meet. It has a tighter shift pattern and is more rugged than the Opels. It is complete with all the boots and mounting plates and the shift lever is angled which will move the knob forward a couple of inches more. I will be able to make it so it is adjustable. Rev.2 was fixed in place and difficult to line it up the linkage. Another plus is it will be much easier to form the sheet metal around it
The new tunnel is about 1/3 complete.
The driveshaft is in the shop. It will be a one piece shaft from the trans to the center support. Then the Opel slip joint (originally on the front shaft) will be mated to the Volvo shaft.
The diameter of the ball on the Mustang shifter was too large and did not allow the linkage to rotate enough to smoothly get into first or fifth on the R-28 trans. So I ended up modifying the original and using the Mustang upper parts, boots and mounting plates.
I have spent a lot of time fabbing up the firewall/front tunnel and it is close to being completed. The drivers side was tricky as a shelf was needed to allow for the dual ram and fuel injectors to be removed while also clearing the inside windshield wiper linkage. I also made a small tray to supply fresh air to the cabin. It is located above the valve cover, has a rain baffle in it, and a rubber gasket will seal it to the hood. Pics to follow.
With the motor set back, there was no room for the stock heater. A Vintage air heater/defroster will replace the original.
A couple more and the heater/defroster installed. The console is from a 1998 Honda Civic.
Next up is cutting the speaker and radio section out of the dashboard and making a gauge panel to cover that area. Once the dash is cut and set, I can locate the console and finish the back part of the tunnel.
Holy Cow Gary!
I didn't know you were a card-carrying mad scientist, too!
Just got another movie call for the wagon. They want it next Tuesday for a Johnny Depp movie. It will be used as Whitey Bulger's girlfriends car.
So I have 3 days to make it presentable.
Let's see, off the top of my head...
- Steering column
- Roof rack
load car on trailer
Update - Dash, gauges, steering column, carpet and seats installed. The glove box cover is taped on...
Good news - The shift lever is in a good position. Just need to bend the upper part back a little and the e-brake handle clears the seat. The pedals are also in a good position. The gas pedal location will need a little thought.
Next up is putting the hood, grille and roof rack back on. Then comes getting the emergency brake to work.
After all that the work will be moving the lift so I can get the car off, getting the Oly out of the trailer and emptying the trailer of all the parts stored in it, washing the wagon and loading it up.
Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
13 hours later and the wagon is movie-able and on the trailer. Phew!
The picture car coordinator call me last night. He said the director picked it as Whitey Bulger's (played by Johnny Depp) girlfriends car. The car will be parked in the driveway her house. He pays better than the casting company and he will help push it in place.
The wagon was used in the final scene of the day and it all wrapped up after 15 hours on the set. It was parked at the top of a driveway and the camera filmed Johnny Depp driving a Malibu up to it, get out of the car and walk past it to the house. It was done in 3 takes.
Had a little difficulty loading the wagon back on the trailer as the front end is so low that the exhaust pipe hung on the trailer's ramp. Finally solved that and drove the hours ride back home.
The springs settled down on the tow there and the wagon has a little rake to it. It might be a little too low in the front as the exhaust pipe hangs pretty low. It was the first time i got to see the Volvo rear from a distance. The stance is a little wider than stock probably due the to spacers needed for wheel to hub clearance.
I'am sooooo showing pictures of your car from Carlsile 2013 to my co-workers, and telling them. " Two days ago. This very car was used in a moving featuring Johnny Depp. Who was filmed walking by it for the final scene in a new upcoming movie!"
Oh ya! It will be awsome!
Last edited by Viny Charb; 06-11-2014 at 10:15 PM.
After 3 months in the shop, I went to pick up the driveshaft for my 24v Ascona and they put the center bearing mount between the two u-joints for rear end .. Not gonna work that way.
Thanks to a spare Bitter d-shaft I got from Kevin Fier, they will be able to fix it. Hope it doesn't take another 3 months...
This project of yours has had MANY twist to it. It will be awesome when complete. I hope that this is your last delay...and not a three month one.
Opel GT... Even when the destination sucks, the trip is gonna' be a BLAST!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)