Saving A 1972 Opel Wagon - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Saving A 1972 Opel Wagon

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvaark View Post
    Mine looked fine until we removed the inside sound deadening tar mat. But that was hiding the big surprise.
    I had that same surprise with my '72 wagon. the tar mat hid rusted floor panels.
    Ooooner likes this.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I had that same surprise with my '72 wagon. the tar mat hid rusted floor panels.
    Gary... This weekend, we uncovered the "surprise" you spoke of. But we are going to fix both sides. I have new jack points.
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Long, fun weekend working on the 72 wagon. We finally started to see and feel progress! We concentrated on getting the engine to run properly since it really hasn't run "good" in 20 years. I had a spare Weber carburetor off my GT so I replaced the Solex with the Weber.

Once I put the Weber on, I realized this wasn't going to be a bolt on job, which is OK. That's what makes this thing fun. So Terry started making modifications to the lineage bracket so everything lines up and works like it is supposed to.

As you look at the pictures, you will notice right off the bat that the engine is pretty dirty. We are going to pull the engine and transmission later to clean it up and paint the engine bay before we paint the outside of the car. We will be going with the original Flame Red color.

I installed the gas tank and hooked up all the vent and fuel lines with new hoses. After a few minutes of pouring gas into the carb and cranking, the engine came to life!

Terry had been working on the body last week. Getting out all the dings takes awhile!

More later!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    saxybiker and Bill Hoffmann like this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This past weekend, we worked mainly on mechanical stuff. Started rebuilding the brake calipers but found out we had the wrong rebuild kit. So I ordered another kit. Changed the oil and filter on the engine. 20 year old oil wasn't going to cut it. I did realize that after the car had sat for 18 years without starting the engine that the engine had gummed up. I will be running Sea Foam through the engine a few times to clean it out. Also, serviced the automatic transmission. Needless to say, it needed it. New filter and new fluid made a big difference in the gears shifting.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same color as my "greenhouse" wagon. Let me know if you need any parts. (BTW, I have the Weber linkage parts leftover from my 24v wagon.)
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gary,

these tar mats were layed under production into the cars after the body went through the dip-coating primer bath. But primer isn`t the best thing to prevent a body from rust. The rest is easy...

Rainer
    Gary and Ooooner like this.
    For more information visit our site:
    www.manta-a-online.de

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    More work has been done on saving this 72 wagon! We have cut out and replaced both front jacking points with new parts as they were pretty well rusted out. The welding still needs to be cleaned up. Also, the front left headlight area had been "hit" at one point and it was beyond repairing what was there so Terry cut it out and replaced with new metal. The weld on this will be cleaned up, too. In fact, that part that had run into something actually pushed the hood back a little bit. That has been pulled back straight.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a place that had rusted through on the piece under the front grill area. Not sure what it's called. In the one picture, you can see the rusted piece that had been cut out and in the other picture, you can see the patch Terry made and welded back in. Notice all the oil all over this piece. Seems whoever changed the oil didn't care if it ran all over the place or not. The small round hole is where you would reach in to pull the filter out to change it. I can see where it would be a pain to change the filter!
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK... Now the brakes. Terry and I spent two whole days sorting out the brakes. I had already completely rebuilt the rear brakes and had to make a new metal line to the drivers side rear brake.

Rebuilding the front brakes was another story all together! The old original calipers were frozen shut and could not be rebuilt. Tried everything but they were determined to be boat anchors! I got replacement calipers from a member on here. We got one of them rebuilt and its working great. The other one (right front) had a problem with leaking fluid around where the line goes into the caliper. After checking it out and using some profain language, we found the problem. Seems the seat down in the bottom of the hole where the flare on the lines is supposed to seat, was messed up. Another boat anchor!

After trying to bleed the lines, we realized the master cylinder was toast. I ordered another master cylinder along with upper and lower ball joints, tie rods and new boots for the steering rack. Also got a NOS right front brake caliper from Gil!

Pressure washing the engine and suspension was done. That will be that much less cleaning once the engine and transmission are pulled out so we can paint the engine compartment.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great progress so far Roy, its nice to follow a restoration like yours with all the pictures. Terry is doing excellent metal work too. Very impressed, keep up the good work! Maybe Carlisle 2016???

David
    JudokaJohn likes this.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 69whitegt View Post
    Great progress so far Roy, its nice to follow a restoration like yours with all the pictures. Terry is doing excellent metal work too. Very impressed, keep up the good work! Maybe Carlisle 2016???

David
    We had hoped for Carlisle this year but that didn't happen! But next year, Carlisle for sure! Although the wagon may not "look it", it's not that far from really taken shape to be painted! The interior is already pretty good with the low mileage but I will still go through it and replace carpet, etc. The old carpet is pretty funky from being shut up for 18 years! 🙊
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahhhhhh.... Starting to get the "dings" out now. Got some primer on the drivers side!
    Aardvaark (R.I.P.) likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 69whitegt View Post

David
    I second this! I always loved the 1900 wagon. i remember when they first came out, and all the ads in R & T. The Manta is a great style, too. A HS buddy had one, and i would tune it for him. Fun to drive, i remember.

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally, we got back to work on saving the 72 wagon this weekend! We made good progress on mechanical issues. Replaced the brake master cylinder and after bleeding the system, we have brakes for the first time. All brakes have been rebuilt!

Went through the front suspension by replacing all upper and lower ball joints and replaced the steering rods on each side as well. Pulled the steering rack and went through that.

All four shock absorbers were replaced. Noticed the old shocks were original Opel shocks!

Think the ball joints needed to be replaced?
    opelgtguy likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This past weekend, Terry and I worked on the wagon more. I removed the interior and the stinking old carpet. Man that was nasty. I believe the smell was mouse piss and crap that I had already cleaned out months ago. Even after removing everything, there is that faint smell. Anybody got ideas on how to get rid of the smell?

We also removed the old rusted out exhaust pipes. The bolts at the exhaust manifold and the pipes were rusted and not coming out. No surprise there! We cut the old pipes as close as we could to the manifold. I had planned on removing the engine and automatic transmission anyway and will tackle the exhaust issue then. I had planned on removing the engine and transmission to take care of issues with the transmission leaking and a few other small problems. Will clean and paint engine. The engine compartment will be cleaned and resprayed to tidy every up under the hood. Hopefully, will get this done next weekend.

Pics from the interior:
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    People call me Dave
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    This past weekend, Terry and I worked on the wagon more. I removed the interior and the stinking old carpet. Man that was nasty. I believe the smell was mouse piss and crap that I had already cleaned out months ago. Even after removing everything, there is that faint smell. Anybody got ideas on how to get rid of the smell?
    Try pet odour remover from a place like Pet Smart. It worked well in a '47 dodge I was restoring that had the same problem.
    Ooooner likes this.

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatopsis View Post
    Try pet odour remover from a place like Pet Smart. It worked well in a '47 dodge I was restoring that had the same problem.
    Thanks... good idea...
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy, while you have the interior out, remove the tar matting on the floor. I found hidden rust spots on the front passenger side and behind the drivers seat when I took mine out.

Moisture gets trapped between the matting and the floor. The rust wasn't evident until I removed the matting and I ended up replacing the passenger side jack point!

I used Eastwood's Dynamat pads on the floor and new tranny tunnel.
    Last edited by Gary; 10-11-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Ooooner likes this.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy, while you have the interior out, remove the tar matting on the floor. I found hidden rust spots on the front passenger side and behind the drivers seat when I took mine out.

Moisture gets trapped between the matting and the floor. The rust wasn't evident until I removed the matting and I ended up replacing the passenger side jack point!

I used Eastwood's Dynamat pads on the floor and new tranny tunnel.
    Gary, I was thinking about doing that. Didn't think about the rust under there, though, but can see where it could happen. We have already replaced both front jacking points so at least that's been done!

Took the bumpers and bumperetts over to the chroming guys yesterday and took the radiator to the radiator shop to have it gone through.

Gary, thanks for the tip!
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally back to work saving the 72 Opel wagon. I've been working on the engine and automatic transmission. It's now ready to be put back in but next is painting the engine bay! The wagon in completely in primer now. We've come to the conclusion that it would be best to replace the right front fender instead trying to repair. This would be the final piece in the puzzle for the body of the car.
    Gary, kwilford and Bill Hoffmann like this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information