1975 Opel Manta - Daily driver resto-mod
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By afwarbird
  • 1 Post By First opel 1981

Thread: 1975 Opel Manta - Daily driver resto-mod

Opeler
    Real Name
    Chad
    Downloads
    Uploads

1975 Opel Manta - Daily driver resto-mod

I bought my car a couple weeks ago from Opels Unlimited. The car is in decent shape and has some rust. The rear quarters are rusted out aft of the wheel wells. The front fenders have some rust on the edge just in front of the door. The front jack points are rusted and a little bent up but are solid enough to lift the car. I will probably replace those too. I didn't take pictures of the main frame structure but it looks like I'll have to grind out some and weld in some new metal in the front wheel well area. floors and rockers are in excellent shape.

The car looks like it was from Helena Montana and spent most of it's life there. It has the Grimes Buick dealer emplem. I think that dealer got bought out in 2008 from what I have researched. It also has a high school parking pass sticker from Central High School from early 90's. I've found some pens and pencils that are from the Helena area too, as well as a business card from a local hair place. Interesting.

I looks like it spent the last part of its life as a TOAD behind a RV. it has the tow bar brackets under the front bumper and lights mounted to the top of the rear bumper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pherrley likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW, hold onto that Grimes badge. Those things can build value really quick.
    afwarbird likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

UFOpel Investigator Site Supporter My location Aardvaark (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like a few patch panels will be needed but you'll have a nice Manta when you are done. Does it still have the original fuel injection?
    -Mark
    '75 Manta
    Having invested my life savings into
    this Opel Manta. I expect big returns.😅
    Link to my album of Opel catalogs
    and magazine articles:
    http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/show...ser/23031/sl/a

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    Chad
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interior gutted

Took out most of the interior last night. I still need to remove the dash, trim and headliner. The seats aren't in that bad of shape for baking in the California sun. My plan is to update the interior with new seats, sound deadening material, carpet and probably try my hand at fab work with the door panes and center console. I would like to add speaker pods and arm rest on the center console. I've been watching some youtube how-to's and I've worked with fiberglass before so I'm sure I can figure it out. I'm going to install power windows, locks and keyless start system. I'm going to work with GoinManta on a modern wiring harness. Right now I'm going to stick with the 1.9 and I might have a Chevette 5 speed I can bolt on. I really would like to bolt in the GM LUJ Turbo 1.4 from the Cruze. My research says you can bolt an Isuzu Rodeo bellhousing and then put a Tremec 5 on there. Maybe another engine swap project down the line. Really depends on what I find on the current engine when I pull it and break it down. Todd compression checked it and it had really high numbers for what should be a low compression engine. Had 140+ in 3 of the 4 cylinders and the other was 135ish. Maybe it was rebuilt at some point? Here are some pictures of the interior, removed.
    Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opeler
    Real Name
    Chad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvaark View Post
    It looks like a few patch panels will be needed but you'll have a nice Manta when you are done. Does it still have the original fuel injection?
    Yes it does. I bought the quarter panel patches from Todd when I got the car.

Thread Information