Vivian Revival - Page 7
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Vivian Revival

Real Name
    Jamie
    Downloads
    Uploads

potentiometer

Yes, the controller is a potentiometer. It gives you complete control from no power assist to full power. At full power there is almost no feedback in the wheel. I found that about 50% power feels great. Just enough that you can steer with one arm and yet still feel what the wheels are doing. Here is a link to the control unit on ebay.

Saturn Vue ion Chevrolet Equinox – Electric Power Steering Controller Box – Epas | eBay
    1971 GT 1.9
    1972 Jeep Commando
    1975 International Scout II
    1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    1990 Jeep Wrangler

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jamie
    Downloads
    Uploads

EPAS install

Ok, here is a quick writeup on the steps I took to put in the electric power steering assist. I went to the junkyard and pulled a unit from a 2003 Saturn Vue. It is located under the dash, just behind the wheel. I took the intermediate shaft with it.

I decided I wanted to install it under the hood. The space under the GT dash is way too tight for me to work.

Step one, I took the pinion shaft out of the rack from the GT. I measured the Ujoint and found the caps from the GT and the caps from the Saturn were extremely close. I used a drill bit in my drill press to bore out the GT pinion shaft out. I then blended the output ujoint from the EPAS with the input shaft of the GT.

The caps are kept in place on the original by a small stamp in the outer edge of the metal. I used two small tack welds to hold the caps in place after putting the joint together.

Second step. The steering shaft on the opel is actually two pieces. I drilled out the plug welds and pulled it apart. The inside is a double D shape. The input shaft of the EPAS is splined. I used calipers to measure the double D. I used a grinder to change the splined input into a double D.

The GT steering shaft then slid over the input perfectly with no slop. I cut about 6 inches out of the end of the EPAS input shaft to make install easier. To install, I then attached the EPAS to the output ujoint which was already put back in to the rack and pinion. Then you slide the steering shaft in from inside the car and slide it over the input double D. Reattach the steering shaft to the end of the steering column.

The unit is now in the correct location, just behind the drivers side A arm. I then rotated the unit up as tight to the body as possible. I mocked up two pieces of strap steel using the existing mount on the EPAS, and a bolt that holds the motor to the unit. I then welded these brackets to the crossmember. The brackets only have to prevent the unit from rotating.

The brackets made it solid and movement free. I then wired the power wires directly to the battery and followed the directions from the controller. I put the potentiometer just to the left of the stereo. I upgraded my alternator to a 105 unit because I found the EPAS can use up to 40 amps at full lock.
    kwschumm and Frozen Tundra GT like this.
    1971 GT 1.9
    1972 Jeep Commando
    1975 International Scout II
    1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    1990 Jeep Wrangler

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thread has peaked my interest in PS, again. I'm having a hard time imagining how this unit will work without interfering with the original position of the alternator. I have also upgraded my alternator to a CS130 using the infamous "F" bracket and the steering shaft runs right next to the alternator.

Did you have to reposition the alternator?

Do you have any pics of the install from above?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information