Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread) - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread)

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    Wow that's incredibly beautiful! looks good! Why do you have to heat it though? Is it necessary for the next coats to hold? I didn't heat my block because I figured the engine heat running would take care of it. But my paint isn't that fancy haha!

Edit: I went back and read your reasoning! I see now.
    Thanks for the compliment.

This evening I gapped all the rings and installed them on their respective pistons. It sounds like a five minute job but it took well over an hour.
    I gapped all the rings to .018-.020 per the specs on the paper that came with the rings. I'm using Deves, which have a bottom "scraper" on the middle ring to help keep oil out of the cylinder. It's important to keep the scraper faceing down or it could work the other way and push oil up the cylinder wall.

Next up is the installation of the pistons, and possibly the crank.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, she came out beautiful, and I love the old oven idea too.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Downloads
    Uploads

I love my machinist!!

Tonight I tackled the job of building the bottom end.

I started out with the pistons because the block was top up. Yeah, a dumb reason to do it that way but it's not a big deal.

I didn't get pictures of the pistons going in. It's not rocket science. Just used the ring compressor and used the handle of a hammer to tap them in. #1 went in like butta. #3 was a female show dog.

At any rate, here is the bottom with the crank set in place.

And the piston rods bolted down

The rear main is the one you need to have special instructions. Look here and you can see a small bead of RTV sealer on the mating surface of the thrust bearing (bearing #5, rear main, whatever you want to call it). This small bead of RTV is necessary so that oil doesn't leech past the small crack where the bearing cap mates with the block.

After the bearing cap is tightened down, remove the small excess RTV that squeezed out. You will add more when you put the oil pan seal in place. If you leave the excess that squeezed out the oil pan gasket won't sit right and will leak.

And this is the crank, all bolted down snug as a bug in a rug.

Now, why do I love my machinist?

I pulled all the rod caps and set them in a row, 1, 2, 3, 4.

And then I went to put them back on and... which was #1? Which was #4?

I've done this before and had to match rod caps based on machine marks. It's a PIA!

But my machinist had actually marked the bearing caps when they were installing the rods on the pistons and, voila, I knew where #1 and #4 were.

Next up, find all parts of the flywheel and oil sump. They are in the garage somewhere!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks sweet. One thing you didn't mention is that the pistons can only go in one way. I don't remember where or what the marking is that shows which side of the piston goes to the front of the engine but I do remember that there is something to keep an assembler from screwing up.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    Looks sweet. One thing you didn't mention is that the pistons can only go in one way. I don't remember where or what the marking is that shows which side of the piston goes to the front of the engine but I do remember that there is something to keep an assembler from screwing up.
    Oh, does it matter which way the pistos go in?

Yeah, I have actually heard those words before.

I have my pistons in the right way.

It's interesting, though, on Opel piston/rod markings. On the pistons there is a notch, or arrow, or other marking, that points to the front of the engine.
    BUT, on the rods the mark, on the bearing cap, points to the BACK of the engine.
    That is, if the rods are installed properly on the pistons.

A few years ago I was building a motor for my younger son and the machinists thought that the bearing cap markers and the piston marking were both supposed to point the same direction.
    On the Opel piston rods there is a squirter that lubricates the piston walls. The squirter helps reduce engine wear. If the squirter is pointed the wwrong way it won't work properly.
    On my younger sons engine I was in a hurry to get it built so I ended up drilling a new squirter in each rod, and drilled the bearing to match, and then blocked off the original squirter with brass plugs, rather than taking them back to the machinist to press the rods off and back on. After 25,000 miles it was torn apart to reseal and the piston walls still had cross hatch markings from being bored..

And, as always, remember "notch to notch" when putting the bearing caps on.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very informative, how-to engine build thread, FO81. Looking forward to the start-up. Best wishes!
    Mike

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you turn the Opel rods with the notch to the front you loose the piston pin offset
    (Opel is .031 to the right) and this changes the thrust pressure of the piston skirt and makes the engine noise greater. HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by guyopel View Post
    When you turn the Opel rods with the notch to the front you loose the piston pin offset
    (Opel is .031 to the right) and this changes the thrust pressure of the piston skirt and makes the engine noise greater. HTH
    John
    I have never heard of this before. Hmmmm

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The pin offset can be changed.
    AriasPistons.com - Custom Pistons
    Zip down about a third of the way on the form.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Downloads
    Uploads
    This engine took a back seat to the engine currently powering my blue GT.

Now it's starting back up again. It will be a slow go because of the seasons turning but I will keep updating the progress.

Today I took a 1.9 head in to have prepped for the 2.2.

I checked the head before taking it in and found oil passage #3 was pretty clogged. I was going to burn up a cam pretty quick.

What I'm getting done to it.

• A few months ago I bought the valves for it. I got 2.2 intake (45mm) and 2.0 exhaust (36mm). It was advised by OGTS that putting 2.2 exhaust valves might be problematic as the 1.9 head isn't built for them.
    • Mill the surface .020
    • Replace the bearings
    • Machine exhaust valve guide bosses to match intakes
    • Valves individually matched and ground
    • valve seats, of course
    • hot tanked, of course (twice)

When the head comes back I will drill out the oil passage plugs and clean the oil passages. I'm not going to pull the rocker studs. I will use some industrial solvent, along with some wiggly wire, to clean them out.

Then it's back to the shop to put the new bearings in.

After that, powder coating and reassembly. Stay tuned. I should have it done by Spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Today I took a 1.9 head in to have prepped for the 2.2.

What I'm getting done to it.

• A few months ago I bought the valves for it. I got 2.2 intake (45mm) and 2.0 exhaust (36mm). It was advised by OGTS that putting 2.2 exhaust valves might be problematic as the 1.9 head isn't built for them.
    • Mill the surface .020
    • Replace the bearings
    • Machine exhaust valve guide bosses to match intakes
    • Valves individually matched and ground
    • valve seats, of course
    • hot tanked, of course (twice)

When the head comes back I will drill out the oil passage plugs and clean the oil passages. I'm not going to pull the rocker studs. I will use some industrial solvent, along with some wiggly wire, to clean them out.

Then it's back to the shop to put the new bearings in.

After that, powder coating and reassembly. Stay tuned. I should have it done by Spring.
    Awsome to hear of the progress. So cool your head is the same as mine! Suggest you do your own port work and unshrouding. It's stressful but fun. And makes you really satisfied went you hit the throttle and the engine pulls hard down the road. Just saying.......
    Last edited by Viny Charb; 10-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Viny Charb View Post
    Awsome to hear of the progress. So cool your head is the same as mine! Suggest you do your own port work and unshrouding. It's stressful but fun. And makes you really satisfied went you hit the throttle and the engine pulls hard down the road. Just saying.......
    I'm leaving the unshrouding to the experts. They have the right tool for that one.
    I asked about porting and they told me they did it with a die grinder and manpower. I can do that kind of work myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all good. I'm sure everything will work out. But for the record you can unshroud your head with the same die grinder and attachments as you port you head with. It not hard it just takes a little time and patience. I say this as after 12 hrs of porting my own head, unshrouding was nothing too difficult.

Again happy to see your engine is moving along. Goodluck.
    Last edited by Viny Charb; 10-31-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Viny Charb View Post
    It's all good. I'm sure everything will work out. But for the record you can unshroud your head with the same die grinder and attachments as you port you head with. It not hard it just takes a little time and patience. I say this as after 12 hrs of porting my own head, unshrouding was nothing too difficult.

Again happy to see your engine is moving along. Goodluck.
    I know I could unshroud it myself but sometimes I get a weird twitch and if it happened during unshrouding I might end up with a passage between cylinders. I can't have that!

I do plan on adding the little wash channels to the head to keep the "squish" point to a minimum. That's part (most) if why I'm shaving the head .020

Before I add those channels, though, I'm going to check the CR. I'd like to end up in the 10.5 range.

My biggest concern is that the intake valve might be a little close to the top of the piston during overlap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last night I did some initial calculations on the compression ratio.
    Using measured head chamber volume from a stock head identical to the one I sent in to be machined I will have 10.53 compression ratio.

I know that's not a final because the big valves will reduce that, and the head shaving will increase it but it seems like a ballpark number for now.

When I do the final calculation, after measuring the new head volume, I will post the results.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you shaving the head before you have unshrouded the valves ?

For the record, it would have to be a seriously big twitch for you to ruin anything if using stones to do the work. It's much easier to find somewhere to rest your arm or wrist while working on the chambers whereas the ports themselves is much more of a freehand thing.

Would love to see some pics of your porting work and I'm sure others would as well, it's a bit of a downer to compare yourself to RB's work all the time. I hate that guy
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Are you shaving the head before you have unshrouded the valves ?

For the record, it would have to be a seriously big twitch for you to ruin anything if using stones to do the work. It's much easier to find somewhere to rest your arm or wrist while working on the chambers whereas the ports themselves is much more of a freehand thing.

Would love to see some pics of your porting work and I'm sure others would as well, it's a bit of a downer to compare yourself to RB's work all the time. I hate that guy
    The machine shop is doing any unshrouding that needs to be done. They have the tools for that one. I think they just set their valve seat grinder open and grind away.

If I do porting, I'll take pictures. Whether or not I post them is dependent on whether or not it looks OK.

If I were smart I would have done the porting before taking the head in. If I screw up the porting it's going to be an expensive mistake.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    A
    right back at ya!
    ggl likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take one of your old cylinder heads.
    Open the intake valve until it's flush with the head.
    Take note of the pinch points.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Downloads
    Uploads
    It only took a little over 5 months but my head is back from the shop.

They were nice enough to buy a new surface grinder just for my engine work. Yeah, right!!

Seriously, though, they told me they were waiting to buy one and I said I wanted my head done on their new grinder. It was so pretty and shiny and produced this beauty.

The smudge was where I rubbed my thumb on the head.

I had the head shaved .020"

Next up is bringing out the media blaster. I'll tape up all the open spaces and prep it for powder coating. I want to coat it a color I don't have so I'm making a few phone calls tomorrow to try to find the color. White!!.

I also need to check the volume of the cylinders. I'm not sure I'm going to unshroud the intakes. i want to see what the numbers show first.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information