Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread) - Page 7
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread)

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Building the head.

I have some NOS Perfect Circle lifters and can't remember which is which.

Do the ones with the dark cap go to the intake or exhaust valves?

Just bustin balz. It's odd that they have different shades of caps from the same supplier. They also have different tension internal springs and different size oiler holes.
    I'm sure it doesn't matter if they are mixed in the engine and, for fun, I am actually going to match to the intake and exhaust.

As for the build. The valves are installed using Opel valve retainers. The other ones I was complaining about seem to be some someone put in from a different type of car. They wouldn't shape to Opel valve tops.

I'm using the blue chevy valve seals.

Camshaft is installed and tomorrow I should have the lifters and rockers dialed in.

THEN, I'm waiting for a dry day where it's at least 60 degrees so I can clean the transmission and the engine bay before reinstalling the engine.

I also have a feeler out to Megasquirt to get a controller for the EFI. I don't know which direction I'm going with the EFI ($$ may be the swing vote). Time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    As for the build. The valves are installed using Opel valve retainers. The other ones I was complaining about seem to be some someone put in from a different type of car. They wouldn't shape to Opel valve tops.
    Opel used two different keepers to fit early and later style valve stems, IIRC. The ridge is either near the middle of the keeper or at the upper edge. I believe the later style requires the keepers with the ridge at the top.

Harold

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have a feeler out to Megasquirt to get a controller for the EFI. I don't know which direction I'm going with the EFI ($$ may be the swing vote). Time will tell.
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and buy the MSII.
    Last edited by markandson; 03-08-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Opel used two different keepers to fit early and later style valve stems, IIRC. The ridge is either near the middle of the keeper or at the upper edge. I believe the later style requires the keepers with the ridge at the top.

Harold
    This is true but not the issue with the other set of keepers I had in my keeper baggie. I can't remember the make/model of keepers I tried a while ago but they "looked" the same as Opel keepers but were for a 9.5mm valve stem. That's what these appear to be. The "newer" Opel keepers are a completely different design and can't possibly be used for later style valve stems. The locking ring is in the middle instead of the top.

Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and by the MSII.
    I REALLY want to pull the trigger but the price is really a deterrent. The weird thing is that Megasquirt sets the price high. The components, combined, aren't nearly that expensive for them to produce. In fact (I dabble in electronics and know a lot of pricing) the components combined would probably total less than $50 for an entire kit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get a chunk of change for their R/D efforts but they do price themselves out of the hobby market. Of course this isn't any different than, say, a pertronix. There's more electronics in a cheap LED flashlight than there is in a pertronix.

EDIT: As I was typing this I got the quote back from DIYAutotune and it comes to $495 for a MS2 system. $780 for a MS3 system.
    Last edited by First opel 1981; 03-08-2017 at 11:02 AM.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and by the MSII.
    Hmmm! Was that a typo or a "Freudian" slip ("by" meaning "pass it by")?

Doug

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Hmmm! Was that a typo or a "Freudian" slip ("by" meaning "pass it by")?

Doug
    Before I read this post I noticed my typo and fixed it but on the Freudian thing, well you never know.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is true but not the issue with the other set of keepers I had in my keeper baggie. I can't remember the make/model of keepers I tried a while ago but they "looked" the same as Opel keepers but were for a 9.5mm valve stem. That's what these appear to be. The "newer" Opel keepers are a completely different design and can't possibly be used for later style valve stems. The locking ring is in the middle instead of the top.

I REALLY want to pull the trigger but the price is really a deterrent. The weird thing is that Megasquirt sets the price high. The components, combined, aren't nearly that expensive for them to produce. In fact (I dabble in electronics and know a lot of pricing) the components combined would probably total less than $50 for an entire kit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get a chunk of change for their R/D efforts but they do price themselves out of the hobby market. Of course this isn't any different than, say, a pertronix. There's more electronics in a cheap LED flashlight than there is in a pertronix.

EDIT: As I was typing this I got the quote back from DIYAutotune and it comes to $495 for a MS2 system. $780 for a MS3 system.
    MS2 is plenty for what we are doing. Is that price for the kit or the assembled one? You should also buy their set of wires to produce the harness, it is nice wire and they are marked with the names of the outputs/inputs.
    Jeff

123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    MS2 is plenty for what we are doing. Is that price for the kit or the assembled one? You should also buy their set of wires to produce the harness, it is nice wire and they are marked with the names of the outputs/inputs.
    Assembly required! (solder it myself)

$279.00 MS230-K: Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
    $59.00 JimStim-K: JimStim Stimulator kit
    $79.00 MSHarness: 10' wiring harness
    $22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
    $17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
    $9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
    $5.50 TuneCable: 6' DB9 tuning cable
    $22.50 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
    $494.00 Subtotal without wideband

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep its chump change compared to BS3 2017 jobber price list.

Price List | BigStuff3.com
    Last edited by kwilford; 03-09-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Assembly required! (solder it myself)

$279.00 MS230-K: Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
    $59.00 JimStim-K: JimStim Stimulator kit
    $79.00 MSHarness: 10' wiring harness
    $22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
    $17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
    $9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
    $5.50 TuneCable: 6' DB9 tuning cable
    $22.50 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
    $494.00 Subtotal without wideband
    You should add the relay board. If you add the relay board you should also buy the interconnecting cable between it and the MS2. I highly recommend the PLX wideband controller with the Bosch sensor. I have my MS2 connected with the Bluetooth transmitter although the wired connection is more reliable especially during initial setup.
    I moved my IAT out of the aluminum manifold and into the rubber part before the throttle body to avoid heat soak. I built the MegaSquirt stimulator and not the JimStim, but I don't know the difference between them. Get yourself a VERY fine tip soldering iron if you don't have one. I soldered everything under a magnifying glass, the lands are very small. Buy the finest gauge solder you can find. What are you doing for idle control?
    Last edited by markandson; 03-09-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Jeff

123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    have a look at microsquirt
    it prob has all you need and is allready built and usually comes with a loom built in.
    around 300 bucks
    it does practically everything ms2 does and runs the same software.
    also all the sensors you need are very common and cheap on ebay or a breakers yard.

I bought a wasted spark ms2 that was used but garanteed and checked by the constructor.
    It was about 200 but if microsquirt was available I probably would have bought that. I was told it was for motorbikes and small engines but that is not the case it runs many cars as well.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nickincrete View Post
    have a look at microsquirt
    it prob has all you need and is allready built and usually comes with a loom built in.
    around 300 bucks
    it does practically everything ms2 does and runs the same software.
    also all the sensors you need are very common and cheap on ebay or a breakers yard.

I bought a wasted spark ms2 that was used but garanteed and checked by the constructor.
    It was about 200 but if microsquirt was available I probably would have bought that. I was told it was for motorbikes and small engines but that is not the case it runs many cars as well.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/
    MicroSquirt does not have the ability to be changed the way MS2 does so that you can change your mind about IAC types and ignition types and triggers, etc. I like being able to open up the case and change jumpers to get what I want out of the controller. It is also very helpful to actually be the builder (kit form) so that you understand more about how the whole thing works rather than connecting wires up to a black box.
    Jeff

123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATE!

First off, I've settled on the MS2 and will buy that, solder it myself, and all that at a later date, closer to actually installing the engine.

Last work I did on the head was trying to find valve retainers. I found the right set and valves are installed. All valves are equal height so my machinist did another excellent job even if it did take them 4 months (I told them to take their time).

When installing the valves I was having that hard time finding retainers. Then I couldn't find the valve hats. Well, today I can't find rocker spacers.
    I have adjuster nuts for 3 heads. No problem there. I can't find the stupid spacers below them. I KNOW I have 3 sets of them because I have nuts for 3 heads. AND... while looking for the stupid rocker spacers I found another set of retainers RIGHT NEXT TO THE HEAD!! Somehow I overlooked them a dozen times.

I was also having a hard time finding rockers. I finally found one of the three sets I have and got them all cleaned up so now, for the head, I'm just waiting to find those rocker spacers. (I know they are all together).

Also, I stumbled across the crankshaft front bolt that I will need when I put the front pulley on. I put that on the crank so I won't lose it.

Yes, I'm rambling.

Last weekend it stopped raining for a few minutes so I started cleaning the (auto) transmission I will be installing. If the rain ever lets up I will finish cleaning it and make sure I have the right bolts for mating them together. I want to be ready, when the sun hits, to put this engine in. And on that day I will order the MS2 (if not before).
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Found them!!!!

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What are you doing for ignition with the MS2? It would be cool if you used the MS2 to fire the coils and take care of your timing and dwell settings, you have to beef up the output section to do this and I don't remember if the components come in the kit or not. If you download the MS2 assembly manual and read it first you will know what to buy. The EDIS4 module and connector are getting harder to find although there is a place across the pond called trigger-wheels.com that seems to have them. If you go EDIS you should work on the trigger wheel and VR sensor mounting while you have the engine out of the car.
    Jeff

123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are you doing for ignition with the MS2? It would be cool if you used the MS2 to fire the coils and take care of your timing and dwell settings, you have to beef up the output section to do this and I don't remember if the components come in the kit or not. If you download the MS2 assembly manual and read it first you will know what to buy. The EDIS4 module and connector are getting harder to find although there is a place across the pond called trigger-wheels.com that seems to have them. If you go EDIS you should work on the trigger wheel and VR sensor mounting while you have the engine out of the car.
    I was planning on still using the distributor for right now. I wasn't aware that the MS2 can do EDIS. I might have misread something and the salesperson at DIYautotune didn't mention anything about that. I do still have research to do because I seem to have a weird learning curve issue regarding this stuff that's really frustrating.

As for the trigger wheel and sensor, I have always wanted to use a cam mounted trigger. I have the ability to make that happen but it's not on any of my priority lists right now. If I go to a crank trigger, I will probably machine the crank pulley myself and add a Ford 36-1 ring to it.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was planning on still using the distributor for right now. I wasn't aware that the MS2 can do EDIS. I might have misread something and the salesperson at DIYautotune didn't mention anything about that. I do still have research to do because I seem to have a weird learning curve issue regarding this stuff that's really frustrating.

As for the trigger wheel and sensor, I have always wanted to use a cam mounted trigger. I have the ability to make that happen but it's not on any of my priority lists right now. If I go to a crank trigger, I will probably machine the crank pulley myself and add a Ford 36-1 ring to it.
    The crank trigger would allow you to use the EDIS4 or the MS2 ignition systems. I highly recommend you go to diyautotune and download the latest MS2 build manual and the tuning manual and start reading them over and over and over again. That is what I had to do to get this stuff to sink in. I understand what you are going through but once it "clicks" it becomes really simple except for the tuning part which is an on going battle but even that starts to make sense if you just keep reading and experimenting. Reading the manuals will help you make decisions which will help the build. The EDIS system makes the ignition a cinch, one wire runs to MS2 and one wire runs from MS2 back to the module. The whole wiring diagram is in the manual. One of the hard things to find was the 2 conductor shielded cable to carry those two signals but I found it and I could find it again for you or if you search my thread(s) it is documented somewhere. Are you going with an EFI intake manifold and 4 injectors or something else?

Hardware Manual

Setup Manual

Tuner Studio Manual
    Last edited by markandson; 03-24-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Jeff

123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slightly off topic and totally non-Opel, but this is a good place anyway! I have installed a 60-2 crank sensor on my single cylinder Honda motorcycle engine for Bonneville. In reading through the documentation again, it says there is a 9000 rpm limit. I am now trying to find out what causes the limit and getting no answers (but maybe if I learn to speak Chinese I would have a chance)! The only thing that I can think of right now is a limitation in the ability of the sensor and/or ECM to respond quickly enough? The EFI setup was "given" to me ($100 was a gift) as the PO couldn't make it work. I have another competitor that uses them on all of his small displacement singles and loves them and he has offered help so I am trying to get the unit installed and ready for "tuning". My questions are 1. should I just ignore the manual and charge ahead? 2. Or because the manual doesn't specify a trigger ring, just a range (36-1 to 60-2), does anyone think a 36-1 would work better at the higher rpm (36000 "teeth per minute" vs 60000 or 1.667 times the "read" time per tooth. I am a complete newbie at this, so be gentle!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I will take the advice and read the manual a bit before making the purchase. I DO know I want to start with the MS2 though so I might as well get that ordered when it's time.

I am using an Opel manifold. I will probably add a throttle body from something (Nissan, I think) as part of the final build. I have two EFI systems so I want to get one done and dialed in and then copy it for my other engine.

All your input is appreciated.

To answer the question directly above, there's a certain amount of processing that's going on whether 36-1 or 60-2, the time to process the signal and send a pulse is finite.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Slightly off topic and totally non-Opel, but this is a good place anyway! I have installed a 60-2 crank senor...The EFI setup was "given" to me ($100 was a gift) as the PO couldn't make it work. I have another competitor that uses them on all of his small displacement singles and loves them and he has offered help so I am trying to get the unit installed and ready for "tuning". My questions are 1. should I just ignore the manual and charge ahead? 2. Or because the manual doesn't specify a trigger ring, just a range (36-1 to 60-2), does anyone think a 36-1 would work better at the higher rpm (36000 "teeth per minute" vs 60000 or 1.667 times the "read" time per tooth. I am a complete newbie at this, so be gentle!

Doug
    One of the reasons to go with a 36-1 or 60-2 tone ring is
    Drum roll
    Crankshaft speed variations...read ..misfire counters
    The more tooths the better resolution

As for the 36-1. I push the rpm's well over 7500.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information