Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread) - Page 7
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 132 of 132
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Saving my 2.2 (engine documentation thread)

  1. #121
    Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,395
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Building the head.

    I have some NOS Perfect Circle lifters and can't remember which is which.



    Do the ones with the dark cap go to the intake or exhaust valves?























    Just bustin balz. It's odd that they have different shades of caps from the same supplier. They also have different tension internal springs and different size oiler holes.
    I'm sure it doesn't matter if they are mixed in the engine and, for fun, I am actually going to match to the intake and exhaust.

    As for the build. The valves are installed using Opel valve retainers. The other ones I was complaining about seem to be some someone put in from a different type of car. They wouldn't shape to Opel valve tops.

    I'm using the blue chevy valve seals.

    Camshaft is installed and tomorrow I should have the lifters and rockers dialed in.

    THEN, I'm waiting for a dry day where it's at least 60 degrees so I can clean the transmission and the engine bay before reinstalling the engine.

    I also have a feeler out to Megasquirt to get a controller for the EFI. I don't know which direction I'm going with the EFI ($$ may be the swing vote). Time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #122
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    As for the build. The valves are installed using Opel valve retainers. The other ones I was complaining about seem to be some someone put in from a different type of car. They wouldn't shape to Opel valve tops.
    Opel used two different keepers to fit early and later style valve stems, IIRC. The ridge is either near the middle of the keeper or at the upper edge. I believe the later style requires the keepers with the ridge at the top.

    Harold

  4. #123
    Senior Contributor markandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    3,952
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I also have a feeler out to Megasquirt to get a controller for the EFI. I don't know which direction I'm going with the EFI ($$ may be the swing vote). Time will tell.
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and buy the MSII.
    Last edited by markandson; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:04 PM.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #124
    Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,395
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Opel used two different keepers to fit early and later style valve stems, IIRC. The ridge is either near the middle of the keeper or at the upper edge. I believe the later style requires the keepers with the ridge at the top.

    Harold
    This is true but not the issue with the other set of keepers I had in my keeper baggie. I can't remember the make/model of keepers I tried a while ago but they "looked" the same as Opel keepers but were for a 9.5mm valve stem. That's what these appear to be. The "newer" Opel keepers are a completely different design and can't possibly be used for later style valve stems. The locking ring is in the middle instead of the top.

    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and by the MSII.
    I REALLY want to pull the trigger but the price is really a deterrent. The weird thing is that Megasquirt sets the price high. The components, combined, aren't nearly that expensive for them to produce. In fact (I dabble in electronics and know a lot of pricing) the components combined would probably total less than $50 for an entire kit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get a chunk of change for their R/D efforts but they do price themselves out of the hobby market. Of course this isn't any different than, say, a pertronix. There's more electronics in a cheap LED flashlight than there is in a pertronix.


    EDIT: As I was typing this I got the quote back from DIYAutotune and it comes to $495 for a MS2 system. $780 for a MS3 system.
    Last edited by First opel 1981; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:02 AM.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

  7. #125
    1000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    1,605
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    I need more company in the MegaSquirt crowd so we can all figure out the best settings together. I just learned (From Red0ktober) that I could have used the FIDLE output to run my fan thru MSII if I wanted too, pretty cool. The only thing is it would not be variable speed the way it is now. Pull the trigger and by the MSII.
    Hmmm! Was that a typo or a "Freudian" slip ("by" meaning "pass it by")?

    Doug

  8. #126
    Senior Contributor markandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    3,952
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Hmmm! Was that a typo or a "Freudian" slip ("by" meaning "pass it by")?

    Doug
    Before I read this post I noticed my typo and fixed it but on the Freudian thing, well you never know.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  9. #127
    Senior Contributor markandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    3,952
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    This is true but not the issue with the other set of keepers I had in my keeper baggie. I can't remember the make/model of keepers I tried a while ago but they "looked" the same as Opel keepers but were for a 9.5mm valve stem. That's what these appear to be. The "newer" Opel keepers are a completely different design and can't possibly be used for later style valve stems. The locking ring is in the middle instead of the top.


    I REALLY want to pull the trigger but the price is really a deterrent. The weird thing is that Megasquirt sets the price high. The components, combined, aren't nearly that expensive for them to produce. In fact (I dabble in electronics and know a lot of pricing) the components combined would probably total less than $50 for an entire kit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get a chunk of change for their R/D efforts but they do price themselves out of the hobby market. Of course this isn't any different than, say, a pertronix. There's more electronics in a cheap LED flashlight than there is in a pertronix.


    EDIT: As I was typing this I got the quote back from DIYAutotune and it comes to $495 for a MS2 system. $780 for a MS3 system.
    MS2 is plenty for what we are doing. Is that price for the kit or the assembled one? You should also buy their set of wires to produce the harness, it is nice wire and they are marked with the names of the outputs/inputs.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  10. #128
    Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,395
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    MS2 is plenty for what we are doing. Is that price for the kit or the assembled one? You should also buy their set of wires to produce the harness, it is nice wire and they are marked with the names of the outputs/inputs.
    Assembly required! (solder it myself)


    $279.00 MS230-K: Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
    $59.00 JimStim-K: JimStim Stimulator kit
    $79.00 MSHarness: 10' wiring harness
    $22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
    $17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
    $9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
    $5.50 TuneCable: 6' DB9 tuning cable
    $22.50 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
    $494.00 Subtotal without wideband
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

  11. #129
    7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, GA.
    Posts
    11,165
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Yep its chump change compared to BS3 2017 jobber price list.

    Price List | BigStuff3.com
    Last edited by kwilford; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:58 AM.

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

  12. #130
    Senior Contributor markandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    3,952
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Assembly required! (solder it myself)


    $279.00 MS230-K: Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
    $59.00 JimStim-K: JimStim Stimulator kit
    $79.00 MSHarness: 10' wiring harness
    $22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
    $17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
    $9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
    $5.50 TuneCable: 6' DB9 tuning cable
    $22.50 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
    $494.00 Subtotal without wideband
    You should add the relay board. If you add the relay board you should also buy the interconnecting cable between it and the MS2. I highly recommend the PLX wideband controller with the Bosch sensor. I have my MS2 connected with the Bluetooth transmitter although the wired connection is more reliable especially during initial setup.
    I moved my IAT out of the aluminum manifold and into the rubber part before the throttle body to avoid heat soak. I built the MegaSquirt stimulator and not the JimStim, but I don't know the difference between them. Get yourself a VERY fine tip soldering iron if you don't have one. I soldered everything under a magnifying glass, the lands are very small. Buy the finest gauge solder you can find. What are you doing for idle control?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markandson; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:05 AM.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  13. #131
    Senior Member nickincrete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    greece
    Posts
    634
    Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    have a look at microsquirt
    it prob has all you need and is allready built and usually comes with a loom built in.
    around 300 bucks
    it does practically everything ms2 does and runs the same software.
    also all the sensors you need are very common and cheap on ebay or a breakers yard.

    I bought a wasted spark ms2 that was used but garanteed and checked by the constructor.
    It was about 200 but if microsquirt was available I probably would have bought that. I was told it was for motorbikes and small engines but that is not the case it runs many cars as well.

    https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/

  14. #132
    Senior Contributor markandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    3,952
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nickincrete View Post
    have a look at microsquirt
    it prob has all you need and is allready built and usually comes with a loom built in.
    around 300 bucks
    it does practically everything ms2 does and runs the same software.
    also all the sensors you need are very common and cheap on ebay or a breakers yard.

    I bought a wasted spark ms2 that was used but garanteed and checked by the constructor.
    It was about 200 but if microsquirt was available I probably would have bought that. I was told it was for motorbikes and small engines but that is not the case it runs many cars as well.

    https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/
    MicroSquirt does not have the ability to be changed the way MS2 does so that you can change your mind about IAC types and ignition types and triggers, etc. I like being able to open up the case and change jumpers to get what I want out of the controller. It is also very helpful to actually be the builder (kit form) so that you understand more about how the whole thing works rather than connecting wires up to a black box.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. A Call for SR20 documentation
      By bigben in forum Engine Swap Forum
      Replies: 286
      Last Post: 11-24-2016, 12:58 AM
    2. Saving A 1972 Opel Wagon
      By Ooooner in forum Member Projects
      Replies: 58
      Last Post: 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
    3. My engine build thread.
      By First opel 1981 in forum 6F - Engine Rebuilding
      Replies: 204
      Last Post: 01-30-2016, 05:09 PM
    4. Should I bother saving my Opel Steelies?
      By First opel 1981 in forum General Discussions
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 05-04-2014, 02:03 AM
    5. Saving Private Driveshaft
      By lowkey in forum 4B - Propeller Shaft and Central Joint
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •