The Old Hag - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: The Old Hag

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    I don't know.
    Your horn was a dead short. Hey come to think of it, send it back I need it now.

Harold

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    The brake system was upgraded with larger wheel cylinders and '75 brake calipers. Shortly after acquiring the car the brakes basically failed. I thought a line had possibly blown but it was a much easier and cheaper fix. The hose at the M/C reservoir was rotten and needed to be replaced!
    Why do people "upgrade", Opel GT brakes? My brakes need replacement but still work great stock

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your car does not idle you do not need to upgrade brakes.
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    Why do people "upgrade", Opel GT brakes?
    Better brakes than stock, is usually a good thing. Second, Opel must have thought they needed improvement, otherwise they wouldn't have put larger front discs and pads on them in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    My brakes need replacement but still work great stock
    Why do your brakes need replacement IF they still work great??? I'm sure others would like to know as well.

Harold

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Torque Tube Donut/Pinion seal replacement

Another poly donut has failed and the pinion seal was leaking. I installed a new rubber donut and stiffened it up a bit sliding a fan belt in between the housing and the donut as others have suggested doing.

The pinion seal was leaking so I replaced it as well.

Can't catch a break. I finally got time tonight to install the torque tube only to have the bolt directly above the exhaust pipe strip. Looks like I'll have to drop the exhaust pipe to see what's going on. Hopefully a longer bolt will work otherwise I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to fix this newest problem.

Harold
    Attached Images Attached Images

2000 Post Club My location poor gt (R.I.P)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another poly donut has failed and the pinion seal was leaking. I installed a new rubber donut and stiffened it up a bit sliding a fan belt in between the housing and the donut as others have suggested doing.

Harold
    Harold, As for another, why ? first time I ever heard of this being done to the donut, Why not use the HD donut ?? Pic. please.......Brad

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    Harold, As for another, why ? first time I ever heard of this being done to the donut, Why not use the HD donut ?? Pic. please.......Brad
    I've installed three polyurethane donuts in the past few years. The first car sat in my garage for quite awhile. The donut cracked and looked horrible with zero miles on it over a period of time. The second I installed in a friends GT. I did it's first oil change a few years later and noticed the donut had gone bad with ~3000 miles on it. I installed one in a Manta cross member for SteveGT and haven't heard back from him on that one. Steve had previously installed one in Veronica and you saw the pictures of it in an earlier post.

I have to thank Charles G. for letting me talk him out of the rubber torque tube donut that he acquired at Carlisle. As to the. "why did I insert a pieced of fan belt between the donut and it's housing?" It has been mentioned by a few members in other threads and I thought it sounded like a good idea. It should limit the amount of movement, limiting stress (I hope) on the component while still allowing it to do what it was intended to do - dampen drivetrain vibrations.

Pictures? They won't be much as it is already installed but I'll see what I can do.

Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 06-18-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added picture
    Ooooner and poor gt (R.I.P) like this.

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm....I've had a poly donut in mine for 5+ years. Maybe I need to inspect mine. Of course I do drive mine and pretty aggressively. Maybe the secret is to actually drive the car.
    Last edited by jmbinjax; 06-18-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Senior Member My location SteveGT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steven
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've installed three polyurethane donuts in the past few years. The first car sat in my garage for quite awhile. The donut cracked and looked horrible with zero miles on it over a period of time. The second I installed in a friends GT. I did it's first oil change a few years later and noticed the donut had gone bad with ~3000 miles on it. I installed one in a Manta cross member for SteveGT and haven't heard back from him on that one. Steve had previously installed one in Veronica and you saw the pictures of it in an earlier post.

I have to thank Charles G. for letting me talk him out of the rubber torque tube donut that he acquired at Carlisle. As to the. "why did I insert a pieced of fan belt between the donut and it's housing?" It has been mentioned by a few members in other threads and I thought it sounded like a good idea. It should limit the amount of movement, limiting stress (I hope) on the component while still allowing it to do what it was intended to do - dampen drivetrain vibrations.

Pictures? They won't be much as it is already installed but I'll see what I can do.

Harold
    The one you did for my Manta looks just fine....as it's still sitting on a shelf in my parts room...on the list though...

SteveGT
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.
    "71 Manta Rallye aka....BLKNBLU

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As to the. "why did I insert a pieced of fan belt between the donut and it's housing?" It has been mentioned by a few members in other threads and I thought it sounded like a good idea. It should limit the amount of movement, limiting stress (I hope) on the component while still allowing it to do what it was intended to do - dampen drivetrain vibrations.

Harold
    We used to that all the time on rally cars here when the Ascona was still limited to using the stock rear axle housing. If there were 30 Asconas entered at least 29 of them had done this
    "I hate RallyBob"

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads

The pinion seal was leaking so I replaced it as well.

Can't catch a break. I finally got time tonight to install the torque tube only to have the bolt directly above the exhaust pipe strip. Looks like I'll have to drop the exhaust pipe to see what's going on. Hopefully a longer bolt will work otherwise I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to fix this newest problem.

Harold
    Just weld the sucker and be done with it!

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    Just weld the sucker and be done with it!
    I got a chance this evening to check out the weld nut that I stripped when I cross-threaded the bolt. An inconvenience but nothing that can't be overcome.

Harold

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGT View Post
    ...as it's still sitting on a shelf in my parts room...on the list though...
    So the next time that you busting my _all's over not installing the frontend grates..it's OK?
    chuckle
    hrcollinsjr likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a chance this evening to check out the weld nut that I stripped when I cross-threaded the bolt. An inconvenience but nothing that can't be overcome.
    Harold
    Matching holes on the torque tube bracket with the welded nuts on the bottom of the car can sometimes be a problem. It is even worse with the transmission bracket which often requires prying in order to insert the bolts properly.

I replaced bolts with 10mm studs. Used red threadlock to keep them in place. That makes installation easy as the bracket slides right over the studs.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    Matching holes on the torque tube bracket with the welded nuts on the bottom of the car can sometimes be a problem.

I replaced bolts with 10mm studs. Used red threadlock to keep them in place. That makes installation easy as the bracket slides right over the studs.
    I had thought about doing this and you've convinced me that this is probably the easiest thing I can do especially if there is a next time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Harold

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh maaaannnn........you guys have all the cool mods!

Dad gummit! Now I gots ta buy friggin' bolts what ain't gots no heads on 'em, so's I can keep up with you cool guys! Dad gummit!

2000 Post Club My location poor gt (R.I.P)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

Dad gummit! Now I gots ta buy friggin' bolts what ain't gots no heads on 'em, so's I can keep up with you cool guys! Dad gummit!
    Gordon, I'm sure they will let play with the cool kids, but you have to ask you club president........Marty
    The Scifi Guy and MikeNotigan like this.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

You know, since you always go that extra step on the mods, get a stud with an allen head so you can get the height just perfect.

Just buy these and trim them down to size

8039 Lot 5 10mm Thread Set Screws 5mm Allen Head 5 1 4" LGTH Free SHIP Cont USA | eBay
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost 70 hrs./week between two jobs doesn't leave much time to work on anything, that and a +90° shop. Hope to get back to the Old Hag next week and get the torque tube mount done to suit me.

Harold

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, pal, this website is about workin' on and fixin' up your Opel. We ain't readin' this here thread to hear you tell us how much you ain't working on yer Opel.

I suggest gittin' yo saggy ole man azz out from under dat harvester and git it under da Opel.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information