The Old Hag - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 304
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: The Old Hag

  1. #81
    Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Spofford, NH
    Posts
    12,381
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    Yes Pertronix does own them now

    https://compufire.com/about-pertronix
    Compufire says right in their instructions that you can't use an adjustable timing light with the DIS-IX system unless it's set to 'zero'. You'll have to mark your pulley to find the curve and total timing.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

    '70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #82
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    Compufire says right in their instructions that you can't use an adjustable timing light with the DIS-IX system unless it's set to 'zero'. You'll have to mark your pulley to find the curve and total timing.
    I did notice that 'zero' did appear to be correct. Degree the wheel? I don't see that happening any time soon.

    Harold

  4. #83
    Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Spofford, NH
    Posts
    12,381
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    I did notice that 'zero' did appear to be correct. Degree the wheel? I don't see that happening any time soon.

    Harold
    Takes like ten minutes to do it!
    guyopel likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

    '70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #84
    7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, GA.
    Posts
    11,175
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    Takes like ten minutes to do it!
    Damn aint the flywheel like some sort of a large degree wheel?
    360/teeth=?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

  7. #85
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Damn aint the flywheel like some sort of a large degree wheel?
    360/teeth=?
    The engine is still in the car. Would you mark mine for me?

    Harold
    guyopel and poor gt (R.I.P) like this.

  8. #86
    Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cöllingswööd, NJ
    Posts
    9,474
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    The Frown of Disapproval

    Holy Cow yer a lazy ole houn' dog. Gettin offen yer fudge factory and mark yer dang pulley. Git yerself a plastic protractor from Wallfart or ask a little kid fer one and mark yer 15 degree spot. Sheesh! Some Opel guru you are! MILLIONS of young Opelers look up to you for guidance. You're letting the class down! You are now the first official recipient of The Scifi Guy Frown of Disapproval!



    For the rest of you guys who actually do work on their Opels, here's pics of the 0 degree timing marks I put on my assortment of crank pulleys when Charlie was up here a few weeks ago and the timing mark on my 2.4's timing cover:



    RallyBob and Frozen Tundra GT like this.

  9. #87
    3000 Post Club blancojp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    3,088
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    The engine is still in the car. Would you mark mine for me?

    Harold
    Let's do the next best thing, print to size, cut and paste to your crank pulley. Then use a coat hanger to set your TDC index point and voila, you have yourself a readable timing mark on the 'ol hag

    Now, this requires lots of knowledge, perhaps we can get GeorgeOpel to come over and help you out
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hrcollinsjr likes this.

  10. #88
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Holy Cow yer a lazy ole houn' dog. Gettin offen yer fudge factory and mark yer dang pulley. Git yerself a plastic protractor from Wallfart or ask a little kid fer one and mark yer 15 degree spot. Sheesh! Some Opel guru you are! MILLIONS of young Opelers look up to you for guidance. You're letting the class down! You are now the first official recipient of The Scifi Guy Frown of Disapproval!
    Dan, suggested I mark the flywheel, but I do feel ashamed. In my defense, I put in 32 hours a week this summer risking my life trying to make the world (TN at least) safer while maintaining my full time status as the local O'Reilly's Opel Parts Guru.


    Harold
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #89
    2000 Post Club My location poor gt (R.I.P)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    2,502
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Dan, suggested I mark the flywheel, but I do feel ashamed. In my defense, I put in 32 hours a week this summer risking my life trying to make the world (TN at least) safer while maintaining my full time status as the local O'Reilly's Opel Parts Guru.


    Harold
    I thought the drivers ed vehicle of choice in Tenn was a pick up truck with a banjo in the rear window

  12. #90
    3000 Post Club blancojp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    3,088
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    I thought the drivers ed vehicle of choice in Tenn was a pick up truck with a banjo in the rear window
    Got it all wrong, the preferred vehicle in Tenn is a 4x4 one ton truck with two tons of fertilizer in the rear. I reckon the smell is the motivation, perhaps?
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.

  13. #91
    Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Spofford, NH
    Posts
    12,381
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If you can find TDC accurately, I still prefer marking the front pulley over marking the flywheel. Only because viewing the flywheel is kinda tough on Opels, particularly GT's.



    Lindsay and jmbinjax like this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

    '70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

  14. #92
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    Got it all wrong, the preferred vehicle in Tenn is a 4x4 one ton truck with two tons of fertilizer in the rear. I reckon the smell is the motivation, perhaps?
    Smell?

    Oh well, back to the shop to find the stash of parts I've been looking for the past two days.

    Harold

  15. #93
    7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, GA.
    Posts
    11,175
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Work is a four letter word
    It helps to put food on the table tho...

    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post

    I put in 32 hours a week this summer risking my life trying to make the world (TN at least) safer while maintaining my full time status as the local O'Reilly's Opel Parts Guru.


    Harold

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

  16. #94
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Compufire DIS-IX Timing Advance

    Checked timing with an older Snap On digital timing light with advance adjustment.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Since this is a 'wasted' spark system, I'm assuming that my advance is ½ of what my timing light is reading. Can anyone confirm that the 72° total degrees that I'm seeing is in actuality only 36°?

    Harold
    After waiting ~20 mins on the Compufire tech line, I was able to confirm that I was indeed correct in my assumption that my timing light was/is reading double the actual degrees because of the wasted spark system.

    Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 08-24-2015 at 12:20 PM.

  17. #95
    7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, GA.
    Posts
    11,175
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Checked timing with an older Snap On digital timing light with advance adjustment.After waiting ~20 mins on the Compufire tech line, I was able to confirm that I was indeed correct in my assumption that my timing light was/is reading double the actual degrees because of the wasted spark system.

    Harold
    It's funny as heck that both #1 and #4 fires at the same time.

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

  18. #96
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    On the road again!

    Short trips only for the moment. I have most everything working to my satisfaction but am still tweeking (not twerking) her. New NGK sparkplugs and replaced the Accel wires with MSD Streetfires (way less ohms per foot). I have another GT with stock 'everything' other than a new Weber and it starts waaay better. Not to say that the Old Hag is slow to start but the other one puts many to shame that I've worked on over the years. Just goes to show that points can still get it done if everything is 'right'.

    Harold

    P.S. Thanks for the MSD wires Charles!

  19. #97
    3000 Post Club blancojp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    3,088
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Short trips only for the moment. I have most everything working to my satisfaction but am still tweeking (not twerking) her. New NGK sparkplugs and replaced the Accel wires with MSD Streetfires (way less ohms per foot). I have another GT with stock 'everything' other than a new Weber and it starts waaay better. Not to say that the Old Hag is slow to start but the other one puts many to shame that I've worked on over the years. Just goes to show that points can still get it done if everything is 'right'.

    Harold

    P.S. Thanks for the MSD wires Charles!
    Why would you need to start the engine, I was under the impression you only rolled the car down the hill!

  20. #98
    7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, GA.
    Posts
    11,175
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Just how many ohm's per foot should the wires have with resistor spark plugs and electronic ignition?
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 09-06-2015 at 09:41 PM.

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

  21. #99
    Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,735
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Just how many ohm's per foot should the wires have with resistor spark plugs and
    electronic ignition?
    The correct answer is 4.
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    1974 Opel Manta Rallye
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

  22. #100
    Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    7,753
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    Why would you need to start the engine, I was under the impression you only rolled the car down the hill!
    O'Reilly's isn't far from the school I went to and IIRC it was 7 miles uphill both ways when I walked it!

    Harold

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •