My GT no1 - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: My GT no1

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your exploits are making me jealous. Mine has not turned a wheel since we last met as I have done by back in and cannot drive it.
    Last edited by clarkey; 08-13-2016 at 04:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    <snip>
    On a brighter note I received my new tyres just in time for the alloy refurb so went and picked them up today.
    <snip>
    Tell me more about the gold wheel rims shown in Post #10.
    Size, made from, etc.?

Opelitis afflicted My location charlie1966's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Tell me more about the gold wheel rims shown in Post #10.
    Size, made from, etc.?
    7J13s and I would love to say they are made from solid Gold but they're not. I don't know who made them and due to the power coating the writing is hard to make out.

Another update is that for a long time I had no low or high beams but as I don't drive my GT at night I didn't consider it a problem. This morning I decided to have a look at fixing it. So with suitable wiring diagram downloaded I traced the power back from the lights to the switch stalk. It didn't take long to diagnose the head light relay was faulty with an open circuit coil, fitted the replacement and now after 5 years + I have working head lights so happy days and now, also, happy nights with my GT.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    All day yesterday, Saturday, was spent Kayaking and by last night I was hurting in places I didn't know existed and because of this the GT wasn't going anywhere but this morning I felt better. So! Another first Sunday of the month, another Cars & Coffee and two hours of aural pleasure. Now, if you get your minds out of that gutter it's aural not oral pleasure. The two hours is the round trip it takes to get to and from the Bray Cars & Coffee and I really do enjoy the sound from my GT. The journey there was damp, with a constant spray from various cars in front certainly challenged the wipers to keep the screen clean and for the most part they succeeded. This damp weather cleared as I neared Dublin but coming to the first set of traffic lights I didn't see them red. The car in front didn't seem to brake until the last minute. To say that the only skid marks were on the road would be a lie and it was a definite cheek clenching moment but fortunately I do leave a decent gap between me and any car in front when driving my GT. Brake upgrade can't come soon enough. Thankfully the rest of the journey was uneventful and I arrived safely. I really only go to this for the journey there and back, but as it's a Cars and Coffee I decided to have my first coffee at one of these events. This was coffee at it's loosest understanding of the word and I will be calling this event Cars from now on. I only stayed for half an hour for a quick look around and left and on my way home while stopped at lights I hear a tout of a horn and look to my right. A stunning looking girl of Indian decent is mouthing something so I try to drop my right window.
    "What year is it? she asks.
    "72" I reply.
    "Lovely car"
    "Thanks, just like the owner."
    She smiles and so does her Dad/husband (I'm not sure which) who is in the driving seat.
    It's the first time that's happened to me and it put a smile on my face. It's odd as I'm usually such a grumpy baskered.
    I'm not one to view the world through the lens of a camera and this was no different but for those who would like to see some of what Ireland has to offer here is a link.
    https://goo.gl/photos/TjjE7FMmbvazuycr6
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This has been an eventful few weeks of late which started off with a sticking front caliper. Perfect time to upgrade the front brakes (As per Clarkeys recent upgrade) using 1995 Opel Astra F front calipers, pads and hoses which I had collected. I got to work. The only modification was to the dust shields and as I didn't like to long Astra hoses I got a pair made up which were 75mm shorter than the Astras. As I was attaching the brake pipes I couldn't make a good enough seal. Because of this and the fact they were a little crusty I decided to replace the brake pipes with shiny new pipes. All was going well but as I was looking at the route the passenger side pipe was taking I noticed the radiator was weeping. To say I was weeping too was an understatement. Yes, I cried but it was a manly cry. To end the day I also noticed the rubber sleeve on the steering rack had also perished. So now that and a rad recore is on the shopping list, which also had an exhaust system replacement during the winter as well.
    So for now I have a GT up on stands, unusable, but with nice shiny calipers, brake hoses and pipes. At the moment it seems to be a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The joys of running an old car. On the bright side you noticed the coolant leak before it could cause any damage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Christmas has come and gone and as my GT wasn't getting any younger I thought I had better get my finger out and give it some exerciser. I needed to get the GT moving which I will explain at the end. It was time to take 2 steps forward and I removed the radiator which could have a second use as a fishing net. I wonder what I could catch. This makes the offside brake pipe easier to replace and so it was done. While the faulty rad needs to go for a re-core I couldn't help myself and looking to the shelf of GT2 parts, a perfectly good rad was staring back at me pleading to be used. So what's a guy to do and in it went. With the system flushed and filled with glycol goodness and bleed it was off to do the same to the brakes. So with the front jacked up I had to do the same with the back. What do you think I found. A little pool of water under the back wheel but this pool of water smelt a lot like brake fluid. Bugger, the drum was flush with brake fluid as the cylinder had shat itself.

Another shelf of GT2 parts and the theft of rear axle parts to get it moving. With everything cleaned up, reassembled and bled which I found can be a one man job with inappropriate tools and a little bit of contortion but I managed it. Ie 2 man kit but only 1 man for the job. So a short test drive and back into the shed for a once over and all was good. I now have better brakes and a non leaking rad.
    So why did I need to get the GT moving I hear you shout from the back. There can be only one reason. Santa had called and left something in my stocking but how the fec he got it down the chimney I'll never know and then I having to sneek it out the front door before the Mrs sees it. I don't think she will buy the Santa excuse.

It's another Opel, a Calibra of which I've had a few over the years but never one of these. A bit of a dream version for me. A 2ltr turbo 4X4.

Like I need another project but it is what it is. It does run but needs a bit of loving care. A 93 version with a lot of history which seems to confirm it's 113000 miles. So now that the GT is running this will be taking up my time and now it too can fit into my man cave.
    Last edited by charlie1966; 01-01-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What a find. Health to enjoy. An unmolested Calibra is becomming increasingly rare. Is there a 4x4 turbo GT1 on the cards?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
    What a find. Health to enjoy. An unmolested Calibra is becomming increasingly rare. Is there a 4x4 turbo GT1 on the cards?
    I would be lying if I said It didn't cross my mind. All it would take is the correct amount of Hennessys finest XO for the angle grinder to start up and then the first cut would be the deepest but no, at the very least it would have to stay rear wheel drive. Maybe my GT2 or 3 though, I am having dirty thoughts about one of them.
    The Calibra Turbo is a bit of a dream car for me so I'll stay off the Hennessy! The next dream car takes a fairly sharp curve upwards in value so this could be it for a while.
    clarkey and The Scifi Guy like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had the first outing of the year in my GT. Weather was OK, traffic was light and I was in a good mood. I didn't get too far when the brake pedal went to the floor. A quick pump and it was back. I hoped out and rechecked for leaks. I wasn't expecting any and I was right. So back to the shed and bleed the brakes again. Still the pedal goes to the floor, intermittently. Only things left to replace are the brake booster and master cylinder. I have one from another car so think I will replace them tomorrow.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had the first outing of the year in my GT. Weather was OK, traffic was light and I was in a good mood. I didn't get too far when the brake pedal went to the floor. A quick pump and it was back. I hoped out and rechecked for leaks. I wasn't expecting any and I was right. So back to the shed and bleed the brakes again. Still the pedal goes to the floor, intermittently. Only things left to replace are the brake booster and master cylinder. I have one from another car so think I will replace them tomorrow.
    This is a condition of a faulty master cylinder. The brake fluid is going past the rubber piston seals. The fluid is ending up in the booster and should be removed when you replace the Master Cylinder.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had this same issue after fitting bigger front calipers. After replacing everything from rear cylinders to master cylinder, it still did it. Brake pipe was catching front suspension on full lock causing pipe to flex allowing air in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
    Had this same issue after fitting bigger front calipers. After replacing everything from rear cylinders to master cylinder, it still did it. Brake pipe was catching front suspension on full lock causing pipe to flex allowing air in.
    It's not the brake pipes, I had pipes made to the correct length for it. I remember you mentioning the issue.
    I have a brake booster and master cylinder here so will fit them later today.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not the brake pipes, I had pipes made to the correct length for it. I remember you mentioning the issue.
    I have a brake booster and master cylinder here so will fit them later today.
    The second you remove the master cylinder you will know or not if that's the problem. There will, or will not, be fluid all over the booster side of it.
    charlie1966 likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So today was a good day. I started off by taking out the master cylinder to be greeted with no fluid leak. Just as well as the replacement booster did and as such this master cylinder isn't much use, so back in it went. Time to bleed the brakes again and boy are they working better. The pedal had a much more solid feel. Took it for a shake down for a few miles, checked it over and all was good so went for a proper drive and the upgrade calipers really do take some getting used to. Happy me.
    clarkey likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the weekend, the sun was shining and the roads were dry. What better excuse do you need to go for a spin in the GT. Starting off on some back roads and for a 45 year old car it really does entertain. Maybe I should treat it more like a classic but it's not my driving style. The suspension set up and wider wheels means I don't have to use the brakes that often but now, when I do, they don't disappoint. I find myself looking in the rear view mirror to check if someone is going to run into the back of me under braking. After about 30 Klm of the twisty stuff I took it on to a Motorway for some high speed driving. It's not a place I tend to take the GT but for no particular reason. It easily kept up and even outpaced the traffic hitting an indicated 160Kph at about 4500 revs. Now I know the speedometer reads about 17Kph on the high side but there was still room for acceleration. After a couple of Kilometers I started to get a misfire so I slowed down and it cleared. I seem to remember something about the Weber 38 float bowl emptying at high revs and this seemed to be confirmed by more sedate driving for a bit with no issue and being able to push again. Im not sure there is a fix. I'm running an electric fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator capping pressure at 3.5 It's not really something I'm overly concerned about as I don't normally have the engine in high revs for long periods of time.
    Anyway I'm looking forward to this weekend as it's my first Cars and Coffee of the year and the weather forecast is looking good.
    clarkey likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 Sundays ago and it was C&C again. A pretty uneventful journey but that's good, isn't it? The weather was good, the roads were dry and the journey was brisk.
    There was as always an interesting variety of cars on show. I usually forget to take pictures of my own but remembered this time.

These were just a small selection. Anyway I hoped in for the journey home and the dreaded brake to the floor problem returned. Now I have worked out that it is only just after I start the car and no amount of pumping the pedal will bring it back but if I put my toe under the brake pedal and lift it up fully the brakes work perfect and the fault never returns until the next time I start the car. It doesn't matter it the car is warm or cold and it is not every start. Would I be right in thinking it sounds like the booster more so than the master cylinder, anyone any ideas?
    guyopel, opelnut_1 and clarkey like this.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your brake pedal to the floor problem has to be the master. Even if the booster is dead the pedal should never go to the floor.
    charlie1966 likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Markandson. Makes sense, I suppose I'm just trying to understand the symptoms. I'll just replace it and wear a diaper when testing.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Markandson. Makes sense, I suppose I'm just trying to understand the symptoms. I'll just replace it and wear a diaper when testing.
    It sounds like you may have a sticky piston in the master but I am still not sure why it would be fixed if you lifted up on the brake pedal. I don't remember the exact assembly of the MC and the booster but I suppose if the booster was somehow getting stuck in the "brake depressed" condition it might cause similar symptoms but I doubt it. No matter what is wrong there is supposed to be a solid connection from the brake pedal all the way to the MC so I am still puzzled as to how pulling up on the brake pedal could fix your problem. It will be very interesting to know what you find when you disassemble it.
    charlie1966 likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information