My GT no1
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: My GT no1

Opelitis afflicted My location charlie1966's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My GT no1

I just realised I have never put up a thread about my first GT which I have owned since February 2007. Purchased out of a redundancy payment because what better way to spend your money when you have loads of spare time on your hands. Loads of spare time didn't last though.
    It is originally from Netherlands, bought to Ireland a year before I purchased it. While it could have done with some tidying up it was running well so with just some general servicing through the years I was able to enjoy it as it was. Then come 2011 a few gremlins began to appear and by late summer the issues were decidedly worse, both electrical and mechanical. Opel GT number 1 was parked up, a scenario common to a lot of old cars. Lifes trials and tribulations got in the way of doing any thing to get GT1 back on the road. That's where things stood until a few weeks ago a good friend of mine who sleeps, breaths and eats Opels offered to take a look at it for me. Starting a new business meant I was not going to have the time to work on it(I'm trying not to say her as I don't like to give my cars gender. That's just weird.) So last Monday I got the GT up to my friends house and by the next day he had it running with a few of the other issued diagnosed. With the prospect of again enjoying my GT1 it has inevitably lead me on to the future and what I would like to do with it. I have always had an issue with paint cracking which has got worse through my ownership. Its suspected that the prep work on a previous repaint was not up to scratch though the finish is really good. By the weekend I hope to know the cost of rectifying this after the summer. The rims have also been delivered to be repaired of corrosion so they will look like new with the addition of a new set of rubber. The old ones were on it since before I took ownership. Finally for now but also on the cards is a new exhaust and a 240 5 speed installation. I've had that box for about 6 years so it's about time it was installed.
    Now I know the rule here is pictures or it hasn't happened but I forgot to take any so you will have to wait until after the weekend for proof. For now here is an old picture.

For those who know me will also know about GT2 & 3. Well they are wraped up nice and dry for the future.
    Gary, opelgtguy, Ooooner and 5 others like this.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's great to hear that you've decided to spend a little time at the Opel grindstone on GT1.

Are you planning anything special as far as paint?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Are you planning anything special as far as paint?
    I hadn't considered changing until you asked the question but I think I will keep it the same colour.
    Don't go putting ideas in my head. It's already a crowded place.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    Don't go putting ideas in my head.

That's like telling me not to eat the fresh baked pie cooling off on the window sill!

Gee, now would be a great time to........

Regasket and paint the engine

Power wash and repaint the engine compartment

Body Kit!!!!!!

Carve your own custom dashboard out of a tree stump!

GT station wagon mod!!!!!

Be the first guy to install a "wrap" instead of just painting your GT. Advertise the local beer brand on it and get cash sponsorship!

charlie1966 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scary but I have thought about most of these mods. The only one I didn't consider was the Station wagon mod(Estate on this side of the world). I've been practising my whittling and while it's not dash good, I'm not far off.

So not only have I Opelitis but I may also have scifiguyitis. It's not particularly contagious but much more serious and there is no support group.
    The Scifi Guy and GeorgeOpel like this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    Scary but I have thought about most of these mods. The only one I didn't consider was the Station wagon mod(Estate on this side of the world). I've been practising my whittling and while it's not dash good, I'm not far off.

So not only have I Opelitis but I may also have scifiguyitis. It's not particularly contagious but much more serious and there is no support group.

I'm not too sure that this forum isn't a "support group" for Gordo. If not a support group, at least an "enabler group". JMHO - Doug

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well ill update ye !!!

this little lady is out of surgery and doing very well indeed

needs a few earths sorted on her now to get the electrics working right and she,s good to go !

only downside to working on this GT when you dont have one is .........

i want one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    charlie1966 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by manta mad View Post
    only downside to working on this GT when you dont have one is .........

i want one
    Look, we talked about that and I decided you can have one when your older!

Got word today the alloys with new rubber will be ready for collection next Friday. So even though I do like the black steelies which are temporary I think I will put the alloys back on. Then it's insurance, tax and enjoy for the summer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 weeks doesn't be long passing by but last night I got the chance to pick up my GT1. It's in some way strange what can cause a car to go into hibernation and after many years then become a barn find. This could have happened here but fortunately hasn't. So last night I drove GT1 a few short kilometres (or miles in old money) home. It's still on old tires so the drive was not spirited but it did reintroduce me to the joys of GT ownership. So what was wrong I here you ask(Or is that just the voices in my head)? The timing was out by 180 degrees, the coil didn't want to play ball, there was an airlock in the cooling system, the thermostat was stuck and it needed a new battery. Shame on me for not adressing these issues years ago.

Alloys with new tires should be ready during the week and then there is no stopping me during the summer. So if you see pictures of a driver of a GT with a stupid grin on his face, just know there could be worse things I could be doing which should not be in print.
    Getting the GT back has inevitably lead to the winter projects for it and it's been decided to convert to 5 speed for which I have the gearbox. The exhaust is not great so that is getting replaced too and the biggest job is a respray. Now it's not going to be bare metal as I have been told it's not required but there are a lot of blemishes which do annoy me so they are getting attended to. I will be keeping it the same colour.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Gordo seems to be having an affect on me.

I wanted to see what a GT would look like with eye shadow. A bit of a slut, I think.

On a brighter note I received my new tyres just in time for the alloy refurb so went and picked them up today.

So I am going on an Opel run on the 2nd of July and then one of the biggest classic shows in Ireland on the 3rd and I think I'm ready for it.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

charlie1966 and GeorgeOpel like this.

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very tidy looking. Aim to make it that weekend myself. Could this be the first meeting of OpelGT.com Irish chapter?
    charlie1966 and GeorgeOpel like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
    Very tidy looking. Aim to make it that weekend myself. Could this be the first meeting of OpelGT.com Irish chapter?
    Maybe the admin will let us have a section for the Irish contingent, all to ourselves.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And what a weekend it was. Pleasure to meet at last. Some pics to prove it actually happened.

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    As can be seen from the photos above, last weekend was one complete opelfest. Thanks Clarkey. Starting off late Saturday morning with just me and my GT. Wife and kids went off doing their own thing. I had intended on meeting up with a friend, Jim, for the 50 mile ish journey to our rendezvous at Bolands Opel garage in Dublin. There to shoot the breeze with uninterrupted conversation on cars in general but more importantly our Opels. The showroom owner had generously provided refreshments for our afternoon and before we left, gave each of us an Opel labelled key ring and first aid kit. I was concerned this might be an omen for the run that lay before us but it was a generous gesture all the same and who doesn't like getting something for nothing, so thanks to our host for that. While not a great turnout, the nine cars made the most of the mountainous road and the scenery before us. An Opel Astra owned by Bob lead and we all followed, or at least most as we seemed to loose a few in the Dublin traffic but not to worry they took a short cut and caught up, so we continued on our way to one of the most well known roads in Ireland, the Sally gap. Made famous by being one of the best rally stages of the 5 day Circuit of Ireland from many years ago. We took a more sedate pace, after all we weren't getting paid to drive like lunatics From here we needed refuelling so it was down hill to Roundwood and then to Laragh, a small village near the monastic settlement of Glendalough. Laragh is well set to cater for tourists with some great restaurants and we stopped at Lynhams for some food and more chat. Belly full, some of us left early as we had to be up a bit earlier on the Sunday, so it was a sprint up the Wicklow gap, a nicely surfaced road I know only too well. Uneventful but good fun we I then joined up with more normal traffic and with what seems to be a common occurrence, someone in a small van takes up space a mere feet from my rear. So I did what all insane people would do, I floored it for what was about 20 minutes of spirited driving (All legalish). He kept with me on the straights but couldn't stay the pace on the twisty stuff. Hey! I know it was a van but I pick the battles I can win. Anyway I got home safe and the GT just needed a quick clean for the show tomorrow.
    Sunday and the Terenure Classic car show. It was an earlier start as we had to be parked up by 10:15, although this wasn't written in stone. We got there about 10 and traffic wasn't too heavy. 18 Opels had been booked on our pitch but when we arrived, we could just about manage to fit 8 cars. The organisers had MfEuScSkEeDd up so we did what any sensible person would do and nicked some real estate from the club next door. We fit our 18 cars in and then some to end up with a good showing of 22 Opels of various models. It was great to talk to interested visitors as they stopped to look at 3 GTs together. The white Gt owner had a visit from a previous owner who hadn't see the car in over 35 years, having sold it after it was stolen and trashed, something the current owner hadn't realised. The only thing better than talking about cars is driving them and now it was time to drive home. The weather held off to give some comfort to the day and only being aware as we were leaving that there was more sun than we realised, red faces were had by all and not because we were blushing. For the most part the journey was uneventful but guess what? Again I was approached from behind by some dude in a Toyota Rav4. I just can't seem to help myself, plus the fact I hate people up my ass. It would seem that the devil is riding on my back because I again pressed pedal to metal. I began to wonder if this was the same driver as the previous evening as, again, he stayed with me on the straights but not on the twisty stuff. My GT does seem to grip well, which must be down to the anti roll bar up front, Panhard bar to the rear and the new wide tires. It was short but good while it lasted. I was soon home but with a big smile on my face and my GT had preformed without a fault for the entire weekend. I do wonder why I had let it sit for 4 years but I suppose sometimes life just gets in the way.

Now for the disclaimer. All stunts conveyed were carried out by amateurs. I don't condone this type of childish behaviour. Don't break speed limits, they are there for a reason. (I just don't happen to know the reason) and in other words, do as I say not as I do.
    Last edited by charlie1966; 07-04-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    clarkey, The Scifi Guy and Lowkey2 like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, another weekend another fun drive in the GT. This time it was to a Cars and Coffee in Bray, North Wicklow about an hours drive away. Meeting time was 10:30 so I left about half nine. I took the longer route as the more enjoyable route needs better brakes. Something I intend addressing in the next week or two. So, this longer route involves more high speed driving and the GT proved faultless. My confidence in my GT is growing by the moment so maybe I will take it out of Ireland some day. Arriving at the C&C, the weather was great and there was, as always, a great selection of cars from a Tiger V8 to minis old and new to Audis of the V8 variety and a few sports cars for good measure. It took me over a half an hour to get away from my car as I did get a group of interested petrol heads gathering around for a look and questions. It was good fun but I was really only there to drive so after about an hour and a half I left as there was a classic car run near my home town. Yippee another sprint to get to registration on time which closed at 2pm. Made it with time to spare, more chat about cars and got talking to an elderly gent who was involved with bringing in the original allocation of GTs to Ireland. It turns out there were about 50 GTs brought into the country in the 70s including one 1.1. This car was purchased by the Dutch embassy and thought to have been brought back to the Netherlands. Most of the others are missing in action. There were about 140 cars at this run which must have been a bit of a logistical nightmare as they had been expecting less than 100 cars. It was a good run through the Wicklow countryside at a more sedate pace than had been this morning but that was OK. Including refreshments stop it took about 2 hours and back to a pub/restaurant for a slap up meal.
    Sorry no pictures as I'm going through a phase of living life rather than recording it and never watching it again. Don't get me started on the culture of watching the world go by through the lens of a mobile phone and then wondering why no one seems to remember being anywhere.
    Then today I left a prop shaft into a local engineering firm to have modified for a future 5 speed upgrade. I should have that back in about 2 weeks though not sure when I will get to carry out the conversion.
    clarkey likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information