HC's 72 Project (I need help!) - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: HC's 72 Project (I need help!)

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the similar issue with my 15x10 rims. Rather than welding or modifying stops, I added split collar on each end of the steering rack. Installation was easy, it just required temporary removal of the clamp on the wide end of the rubber boot, so I could roll back the boot and get good access to the steering rack.

GT is small car with already tight turning radius, so the reduction of steering angle is hardly noticeable.
    John B likes this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    I had the similar issue with my 15x10 rims. Rather than welding or modifying stops, I added split collar on each end of the steering rack. Installation was easy, it just required temporary removal of the clamp on the wide end of the rubber boot, so I could roll back the boot and get good access to the steering rack.
    Neat idea, I'd have never thought about that. Waiting on the shop to warm up now. I'll probably fill the notches worn in the stops with weld. Hopefully restoring them to near original specs gaining clearance or at least reducing the need for thicker spacers.

Harold

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

GT is small car with already tight turning radius, so the reduction of steering angle is hardly noticeable.
    Would you happen to have a photo of that PJ?
    Keith Wilford
    I'm back consulting, but full time now, so I have less time but more money to work on my bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steering stop deviation?

Assuming, which can get oneself in trouble, the steering stops can be 'altered' from there original configuration creating the ability to turn shorter in one direction than the other. Also creating a variation in tire clearance from one side to the other. Thus a non-OE part being rubbed on one side but not the other. I welded the offending stop this morning with some success. The tire appears to have clearance now when turned full lock to the right.

Harold
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heater and thermostat relationship

I've received two texts from my wife wanting me to ask PJ what modifications he has done to his heater. I noticed the engine temp has been really low in the cooler weather this fall. Hopefully replacing the 160° thermostat with a 195° thermostat will do the trick. I will flush the heater core at a later date.

Harold
    guyopel likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    I've received two texts from my wife wanting me to ask PJ what modifications he has done to his heater. I noticed the engine temp has been really low in the cooler weather this fall. Hopefully replacing the 160° thermostat with a 195° thermostat will do the trick. I will flush the heater core at a later date.

Harold
    You could use a trucker method and cover part of the radiator with some cardboard. Might work and a heck of a lot easier than changing the stat twice a year.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    I didn't take any photo Keith, sorry. No sense to do it now as the collars are inside the rubber boots. They are clamped on the ends of the steering rack bar. I bought them from McMster Carr. Note, they would not ship to Canada, you must give them the address in the States (I worked in PA at that time).

Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've received two texts from my wife wanting me to ask PJ what modifications he has done to his heater.
    Harold, I did not modify the heater, I just changed the fan in order to make space for DSD carburetors.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    He is probably using the same split in half locking collars that he showed Mike in his brake pedal travel thread. Instead of letting the front suspension hardware hit a bump stop or have the tires bump into the sway bar, he put locking collars on the ends of the rack bar to limit it's travel and prevent the tires from hitting stuff.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 12-07-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    You could use a trucker method and cover part of the radiator with some cardboard. Might work and a heck of a lot easier than changing the stat twice a year.
    I used to do that when my GT was my daily driver! It worked great, it felt like I doubled the heat in the car. Ya gotta watch out when the weather gets warmer, though. You'll forget that you partially obstructed your radiator and you'll overheat when it's only 60* outside.

I remember reading in a recent ad that some guy "plumbed new heating" into his GT. Has anyone bypassed the oem heater or supplemented it with an extra heater core or tranny cooler with a fan? One of the worst things about the GT heating system is that it can't recirculate the interior air through the heater. It can only draw in ice cold or wet outside air and push it through those tiny, lame, ancient, heater cores. Also, you really can't stop outside air from entering the car, can you? You can close the side vents in the footwells, but you can't actually shut off the vents at the ends of the dash.

I designed out this problem when I did my dash. The flow through ventilation system is entirely seperate from my aftermarket heater and I can totally shut off the flow with closable vents at the dash and footwells. The heater only draws in and recirculates the air that's already in the car. It works like the dickens, too. I forgot which way to shift the inline heater control valve and I drove around for a few months of the Summer with the water flowing through the heater's core. I didn't have the fan on, but the extra heat inside the center console area was causing my stereo unit to overheat after about 1/2 hour of driving and the sound would start getting muddy coming out of the speakers. I finally discovered the screw up and turned off the heat and no more stereo problems.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 12-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ... Hopefully replacing the 160° thermostat with a 195° thermostat will do the trick. I will flush the heater core at a later date.

Harold
    You could read this thread
    hrcollinsjr likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Harold, I did not modify the heater, I just changed the fan in order to make space for DSD carburetors.
    I know that but she thinks you have improved every aspect of your car.

Harold
    P.J. Romano likes this.

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    The car should have heat at 40° without doing anything special. I do remember back in the 80's having to block off part of the grill to get the car to operating temperature. We were also in single digits something we don't see that often.

Harold

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ignition Timing

I removed the distributor this morning and tried modifying it slightly, thinking I could improve it a tad. I got close to what I wanted but there is still some room for improvement.

I partially disassembled the distributor that was in it. Removed the old sticky lube, replaced one of the springs (didn't take any pictures but will when I go back in), welded the centrifugal stops to limit total advance, lubed and reassembled it.

8° initial at idle 850-900rpm

33° total mechanical

44° with vacuum advance

I placed a small spot weld where the arrow is and ground it back down with a Dremel. I will go back and grind a little more. I thought I needed to re-install the distributor a tooth retarded to have my distributor line up like I wanted. I thought wrong.

Will probably tweak a few things tomorrow and try to leave it along for awhile. I need to get back to The Old Hag as she is still sitting on the parking pad with a broken clutch cable looking neglected.

Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 12-13-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carburetor Forum

Replaced A/T throttle linkage with M/T throttle linkage with a little adjustment to be able to achieve WOT. Since not everyone reads "Member Projects" I thought it might be more beneficial to start a new thread in the "Aftermarket Downdraft Forum".

Harold

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ignition Timing Pt. 2

I removed the distributor one more time to see if I could get a little more advance out of it. I've included a few pictures of what I did. Not pretty but it works.

I swapped a lighter spring with constant tension for the standard heavy spring with an elongated loop on one end allowing quicker initial advance.

Idle 850-900 rpm

8° initial advance

36° total mechanical advance

I did no modification to the vacuum advance so I should have 47° advance cruising with no load on the engine. Too much? I'm thinking about checking some other vacuum advance canisters to see if I can find one with roughly half as much advance.

Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 12-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did no modification to the vacuum advance so I should have 47° advance cruising with no load on the engine. Too much? I'm thinking about checking some other vacuum advance canisters to see if I can find one with roughly half as much advance.

Harold
    Under a no load condition you can run the spark way up into the hundreds.
    Only after you start the engine__ will the loading apply.

Now if you can give percentage of load then that's different.
    Last edited by wrench459; 12-13-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Trying to be helpful...but it's not working

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Under a no load condition you can run the spark way up into the hundreds.
    Only after you start the engine__ will the loading apply.

Now if you can give percentage of load then that's different.
    So leave it alone? I did find out last night that I need to get my alignment checked as the car was a handful at speed on a rough road.

Harold

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So leave it alone?
    I've seen many spark maps go into the 50 range.
    Closed throttle-deceleration.

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wheel spacers removed.

I finally slowed down enough to remove the 16mm wheel spacers on the rear wheels. I bought shorter open end ET lug nuts with OE size 19mm heads. In a previous post I included pictures of the two different styles of lug nuts that were on the car. They also would have required two different tire tools/sockets to remove as the hex sizes were different. The open end ET nuts won't work with stock wheels but work great with the aftermarkets wheels on this GT.

The tires can be rotated now without having to swap the spacers from wheel to wheel.

Harold

P.S. "Rear" wheel is now the front.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information