My fiberglass GT - Page 11
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues010266 View Post
    Hi John, Great job on the build. I am an old racer, and I was curious to see a hard line connected directly to the fuel pump. Any chance of it work hardening and cracking? I had an inspection steward mention it once, and I went back to braided -8AN hose. What are your thoughts?

Chuck
    Thanks for the comments there Chuck. Yeah good point. I figured if they are both mounted to the same surface there wouldn't be much movement between them. The pump connection is a swivel, and not totally rigid. I kind of thought that a sweeping bend in rigid tube would be less restrictive. Point well taken though. I'll do some googling on it and see if I can find more on the subject.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Thanks for the comments there Chuck. Yeah good point. I figured if they are both mounted to the same surface there wouldn't be much movement between them. The pump connection is a swivel, and not totally rigid. I kind of thought that a sweeping bend in rigid tube would be less restrictive. Point well taken though. I'll do some googling on it and see if I can find more on the subject.
    John, since it has come up, I had a few concerns about this set-up too. First, there is the platform attached to the differential. It is cantilevered pretty far out from its mounting point and you may encounter some vibration in this setup. Depending on the strength and configuration of the bracket material, it may not be a major problem, just saying that it is something to watch for.

Secondly, I would be concerned that the stiff, unsupported u-tube might vibrate in the vertical plane, like a tuning fork, and ultimately cause the tube to fail at its attachment points. I have seen this happen on offshore natural gas compressor packages whose resonant frequencies were too near the operating speed of the engines.

I was hesitant to offer any comment on such a fine build, but thought it might be worth consideration or discussion.
    Bob
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    John, since it has come up, I had a few concerns about this set-up too. First, there is the platform attached to the differential. It is cantilevered pretty far out from its mounting point and you may encounter some vibration in this setup. Depending on the strength and configuration of the bracket material, it may not be a major problem, just saying that it is something to watch for.

Secondly, I would be concerned that the stiff, unsupported u-tube might vibrate in the vertical plane, like a tuning fork, and ultimately cause the tube to fail at its attachment points. I have seen this happen on offshore natural gas compressor packages whose resonant frequencies were too near the operating speed of the engines.

I was hesitant to offer any comment on such a fine build, but thought it might be worth consideration or discussion.
    Bob
    The main bracket material is made from 7075 aluminum. But next time I get a chance I'm going to change that tube out for a flexible one. Another reason why I used that piece was because when ordering the fittings from Summit a few years back, I made up a list and thought I had everything covered as far as fittings and hose was concerned, but came up short. Thanks for the input Bob, as any suggestions from someone with more experience in this field are well taken.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information