My fiberglass GT - Page 12
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree310Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    John, There is no simple answer to your question as there are untold numbers of variables. Generally speaking, the basic Titanium material has shear capabilities and elasticity capabilities "between Aluminum and Steel". However, because you don't know what alloy of titanium you have (and probably are not using high grade steel bolts) the answer is unknown (which is the reason they are not returned to supply, but thrown out). Are your steel drive shaft bolts marked as Grade 5, Grade 8, or AN? Then the answer would be maybe, probably not, and NO (for those grades). I wouldn't use the titanium anywhere for a highly loaded joint, but where there is no load, there is a "WOW" factor. Sorry to be "evasive" but I never had to build anything I designed some those details have been unpracticed for a long time and I last worked for Boeing a millennium ago (I retired in 1999).

Doug
    Okay, thanks for taking a stab at it anyway. One thing I have found on this site is there are enough knowledgeable people on here to start a space program. Great help for inexperienced and experienced people alike.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've worked with a bunch of different grades of titanium since the material entered the mainstream back in the late 70's. The USSR had failed or was failing and their military stuff was getting sold off. It turned out that their submarines were largely made of titanium and were being sold for scrap. I was in the bicycle business at the time and all sorts of little machine shops and large corporations started making stuff out of titanium. Teledyne, the water pick company, started making titanium bicycle frames. They sucked big time. One company even experimented with cast titanium to make bicycle cranks. They were really cool to look at with a kind of Eifel Tower sort of construction. They also sucked big time. There were huge differences in quality. Generally on bikes you want stuff to be as light as possible, but also super stiff. Titanium will do that. With the advent of mountain biking and the need for shock absorption, materials that were light and springy were also experimented with. Titanium will do that also.

All of my experiences trying to drill, cut, or otherwise work with titanium ended in utter failure. Ti is commonly used for bicycle crank axles, if the threaded bolt holes on the ends strip, in the trash it goes. I found it impossible to retap threads into the stuff. I bought the best taps and drills I could find. I dulled all the bits and snapped off all the taps. 6" long $200+ cylinder of rare metal now useless junk. It's still in my drawer mocking me 25 years later!

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 1 Week Ago at 08:48 AM.
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I wish my bike had some titanium parts on it. It's a 30 year old mountain bike my Mum bought me for my birthday. They sold them at sears at the time.It weighs about 45 lbs. Never really rode it that much until last year. A couple of friends of mine who live in a town about 8 k's from here are health freaks and got me into it. We have a great bike trail that's only 2 k's from my house. I ended up putting 1600 k's on it last year. I swapped out the steel rims on it for some aluminum ones my buddy had, and with the rear it had 3 more sprockets that got me from 18 to 21 speeds. I have an aluminum frame mountain bike from Costco but it weighs even more than my old one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yuk! Yuk!

Yeah, man, those cheap mountain bikes weigh so much you have to carry them up the mountain!

One thing about bikes, when it comes to ease of pedaling: It's all about the wheel and tire weight. I used to race road bikes back in high school and did mountain biking for 30 years after that, plus I worked in bicycle shops along the way. Schwinn Varsity's were reknowned as the heaviest road bikes ever made at about 40+lbs. Modern racing road bikes weigh closer to 20 pounds. There was a saying floating around: You can take the lightest bike ever made and put Varsity wheels on it and you'll come in last in every race, but if you put the lightest wheels ever made on a Schwinn Varsity bike you could go out and WIN races. It's all about the centrifugal weight. Really light tires and tubes make a huge difference also, every gram matters and is noticable. Another saying that floated about, in regards to climbing mountains and such, is that every pound of bicycle weight is equivalent to 10 pounds of body weight. So, if you and your buddies all weigh 200 lbs, but they've got 30lb bikes and you have a 20lb one, it's as though you only weigh 100lbs.

If you spend $500 to $800 on a mountain bike, you should be able to get one that will put you on an even playing field with your buddies. Trek's are pretty good and they're a nice American company that makes a lot of their parts here in the U.S. Since I worked in the bicycle industry I had connections to get parts and stuff at cost, so I made the lightest front and rear suspension mountain bike possible(at the time, 20 years ago). It weighs about 22lbs. and would have been worth about $4000 retail back then. It's still darn near the lightest bike you can make. I had lots of failures with some of the superlight stuff it had. The company that made the carbon fiber panels for the stealth bombers and the Space Shuttle started making carbon fiber spokes that looked like airplane wings in cross section. Yeah, them wheels made me go real fast until I did some maneuver wrong and they all shattered. Every single spoke broke! I was left with a rim and tire hanging from the axle. Aluminum pedals didn't last long either, you crash into stuff with your pedals. They would get all mangled and look like a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil. Some stuff you just gotta make out of steel.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 1 Week Ago at 07:02 AM.
    John B likes this.

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    John, your car is coming along very nice. I like the edge you put on the wheel arches, will look more like a steel body when painted.

I want to see how the axle shafts hold up to a good load, how long before you are ready for a test drive?

Thanks Pat.
    John B likes this.
    That looks like it was made for it. Come to think of it, it was made for it!

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
    Geddy Lee/Neil Peart

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by broszzy View Post
    John, your car is coming along very nice. I like the edge you put on the wheel arches, will look more like a steel body when painted.

I want to see how the axle shafts hold up to a good load, how long before you are ready for a test drive?

Thanks Pat.
    I'm pretty well to the point of being ready for primer. Just have to find a place to get some. They used to sell paint at our local NAPA in town, but they were bought out so I don't know if they still carry any. With the new laws regarding voc's it's not as easy to buy paint as it was in the old days. As far as the axles go, I will be interested in seeing how they perform myself. I took it down the road and back last summer a couple of times and it seemed pretty smooth and all, but I didn't have my foot into it too much.
    broszzy likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bike trail near here is a converted old railway track, so the grade in or along any part of it doesn't exceed 4%. It goes through a lot of bush and farm land, and is mostly made of fine well packed gravel. So my old bike being more a road bike with bigger tires is perfect, except for the weight. The hills I encounter are on the side roads around here, and there is one doozy I have to go over to get to the trail. At first it was murder but now it doesn't seem that bad. That's with burning a few watts of power just to drive the old cable speedometer I have on it. I got it from an old neighbor, of ours, who used to go to farm auctions all the time and had a place that looked like the ones you see on American Pickers. Anyways it's good exercise and enjoyable at the same time, and addictive.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm pretty well to the point of being ready for primer. Just have to find a place to get some. They used to sell paint at our local NAPA in town, but they were bought out so I don't know if they still carry any. With the new laws regarding voc's it's not as easy to buy paint as it was in the old days. As far as the axles go, I will be interested in seeing how they perform myself. I took it down the road and back last summer a couple of times and it seemed pretty smooth and all, but I didn't have my foot into it too much.
    When I was living in Los Angeles in the 1990's and I wanted to paint my "new" Yamaha bike for Bonneville, I tried to get some custom mix colors. I was asked what I was painting and told the paint guy "A motorcycle." He told me he couldn't sell me the paint unless I had a license! You explained you could only buy paint for motor vehicles if you had a proper paint approved by the EPA. He then asked if the bike was new or old? and if the parts were plastic or metal? I told him it was an old Yamaha and everything was metal. He then replied "So you are painting some old metal parts for your shop?" and nodded his head at me. I quizzically answered "Yes" and he sold me the 2 quarts of paint (yellow and pink to match the old Vance & Hines race bikes - FWIW). It seems that the EPA allows anyone to paint their old refrig, toy wagons, pedal bikes, etc but NOT motor vehicles! Remember this when you look for your paint & primer as there could be something similar where you live.

On that same subject, the Rockwell plant that was building the B-1B bomber in California had an EPA allocation for 1 GALLON of MEK a YEAR, even if it was used in cleaning parts for a military aircraft. The average Joe on the streets however could go to the local Home Depot/Lowes etc and buy as many 1 gallon cans as they wanted anytime! Something is wrong with this picture!!!
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You got that right. How bureaucrats come up with their ideas, is very strange indeed. Defies all logic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I painted my engine compartment, I got the paint from a local body shop, but I'm afraid to bug the guy again, although at the time he didn't seem to have any troubles with getting it for me,and was actually very helpful. I guess I'll pay him a visit and see what he says.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    When I painted my engine compartment, I got the paint from a local body shop, but I'm afraid to bug the guy again, although at the time he didn't seem to have any troubles with getting it for me,and was actually very helpful. I guess I'll pay him a visit and see what he says.
    Invite him to see your car then offer him a ride when it is finished! I know what I would say!

JMHO -- Doug
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Invite him to see your car then offer him a ride when it is finished! I know what I would say!

JMHO -- Doug
    When I got the paint from him the first time, I tried to explain what an Opel gt was, and he didn't know of them, and at the time I didn't have a phone that had pictures on it to show him. This time I'll go prepared.
    By the way I really like what your doing with those bikes and all. Reminds me of my high school days when all I used to do was dream of motorcycles and stuff like that. I remember doing a history project in grade 9, in about !969, where I cut out pictures from various magazines, highlighting events such as the Isle of Man and other events along with the most popular bikes, and riders of the time. My history teacher, Mr. Foley, was a nut for queen Victoria and everything British, and even had her portrait up on his classroom wall, so needless to say he gave me 100% on the project. Keep going for it!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information