My fiberglass GT - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Downloads
    Uploads

About converible

Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    This is just crazy.. but a good kind of crazy.

Why the complete doors as fiberglass ? Wouldnt it have been better to use the regular doors if your using all the hardware..?

Also given the greaqt strength the frame has and talent you have why not go convertible? You could make it look factory.

Wow.. we thought we saw everything last year with Gordos Build..

This is like Gordo with body and mechanical fabrication skills..

Just promise us no alligator skin vinyl roofs or something like that. ( Damn probably gave Gordo an idea.. )
    I have two sister and both of them have convertibles. Any time I go for a ride with them I tell them to put the top up, because I don't want to go deaf from the sound of the wind. Plus I think the nice lines of the opel body shape are to drastically altered with the convertible. Now if I could make convertible hard top like my sisters eos and lexus, I might consider it. But that might entail another ten years work.
    John32 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    No I don't know Rob, does he have an opel.
    Rob Cassidy aka "Rionart" lives in Scarborough. He is the number one Opel owner in Canada by the number of Opels. Excluding Todd Martin of Opels Unlimited and a few other "dealers", he is probably number one in North America

Here is Rob's big annual Opel event:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/general...hotel-etc.html
    Last edited by kwilford; 10-27-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    John B and John32 like this.
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two sister and both of them have convertibles. Any time I go for a ride with them I tell them to put the top up, because I don't want to go deaf from the sound of the wind. Plus I think the nice lines of the opel body shape are to drastically altered with the convertible. Now if I could make convertible hard top like my sisters eos and lexus, I might consider it. But that might entail another ten years work.
    "Plus I think the nice lines of the opel body shape are to drastically altered with the convertible"

Hey wait one minute buddy!!!.. I resemble that remark

Your car is amazing!!! amazing!! NO OTHER WORD WORKS!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    opelgtguy, John B and John32 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    John, I have to say that, with only 47 posts to date, you are the most amazing Opel'er here on OGT.com. And I'll say this again: "We are not worthy"!
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    John, I have to say that, with only 47 posts to date, you are the most amazing Opel'er here on OGT.com. And I'll say this again: "We are not worthy"!
    Thanks for the comment. I will keep posting more pictures as I progress towards paint and finishing.
    John32 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by mschinelli3 View Post
    "Plus I think the nice lines of the opel body shape are to drastically altered with the convertible"

Hey wait one minute buddy!!!.. I resemble that remark

Your car is amazing!!! amazing!! NO OTHER WORD WORKS!!!
    Nice looking car. Sorry, I should have known I might ruffle a few feathers with my remark, but it is just my preference. My sisters always tell me I'm turning into a bit of a fogy. Does your top store down into the rear section or is it a roadster?
    mschinelli3 and John32 like this.

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the body mods! I would love to have the front and rear especially. They would make an awesome kit.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Opeler
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you still have the molds for the dash? Any thought of selling a dash?
    John32 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dash

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Do you still have the molds for the dash? Any thought of selling a dash?
    Yeah I still have the mold. The dash I made stuck in the mold due to the difficulty of being able to apply the mold release, so it might not make a perfect looking part now. But it will still be good for making more. They just might have a couple of blemishes on them. I don't plan on making anymore parts until I finish my car. Plus I don't do any fiberglass work in the winter due to the cost of heating the shop. You need lots of ventilation, which means keeping windows and doors open.
    John32 likes this.

Owner of EZ2Wire.com My location GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No I don't know Rob, does he have an opel.
    Does he have an Opel..

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/0...new-level.html

CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus
    & at least 20 other Opels

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking car. Sorry, I should have known I might ruffle a few feathers with my remark, but it is just my preference. My sisters always tell me I'm turning into a bit of a fogy. Does your top store down into the rear section or is it a roadster?
    Hi.. No feathers ruffled... I love the classic look of the GT as well! I haven't yet figured out exactly what to do with the top... I have plans to create a soft top / bikini top.. but have the room in the trunk area and would love to have a detachable fiber glass or metal top...

I my friend have MUCH MUCH MUCH more limited skills then you
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads

How Many

Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    When P.J. dropped by to see me last week, he mentioned Rob, but with all the talking we were doing about each others cars, it kind of went in one ear and out the other. I guess not all the cars in the video are his.

Downloads
    Uploads

Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by mschinelli3 View Post
    Hi.. No feathers ruffled... I love the classic look of the GT as well! I haven't yet figured out exactly what to do with the top... I have plans to create a soft top / bikini top.. but have the room in the trunk area and would love to have a detachable fiber glass or metal top...

I my friend have MUCH MUCH MUCH more limited skills then you
    Actually, I was considering to possibly make mine into a roadster. A friend of mine has a replica Shelby cobra. And I found some pictures of some one out in Kitchener or out around that area, with a yellow Opel done as a roadster, with the rear section brought up right behind the seats, with dual roll bars and the bubbles on the rear deck to match. But then I weighed the practicality of it over the stock roof, and figured that for all weather conditions, and such, not to mention aerodynamics, the stock roof was the way to go.
    John32 likes this.

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some examples of GT roadsters. Great work but I agree with John - nothing matches smooth, curvy lines of the original roof.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    Here are some examples of GT roadsters. Great work but I agree with John - nothing matches smooth, curvy lines of the original roof.
    MY taste runs to hardtops also, but that black convertible could make me change my mind in a nanosecond or 2!

Now for a history lesson.

In the classic British terms, a roadster has no side windows but uses detachable side curtains. If you have windows that roll up and down, you have a "drop head coupe".

Lesson over.

Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When P.J. dropped by to see me last week, he mentioned Rob, but with all the talking we were doing about each others cars, it kind of went in one ear and out the other. I guess not all the cars in the video are his.
    No, not all, but about half of those are Rob's Opels. Of the 18 I count there, I believe that nine are Rob's. This video was in 2011; I believe that he has another half dozen or ten that are not there, plus some added to the fleet since.
    Last edited by kwilford; 10-30-2016 at 01:53 PM.
    GoinManta and John32 like this.
    Keith Wilford

Downloads
    Uploads

Rob's Opels

Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    No, not all, but about half of those are Rob's Opels. Of the 18 I count there, I believe that nine are Rob's. This video was in 2011; I believe that he has another half dozen or ten that are not there, plus some added to the fleet since.
    Yes he does have quite a few. I'd imagine he must keep them in a warehouse or something, unless he has a large drive-in basement or something. More is always better then not enough. In an earlier post I mentioned that I had a chance to buy a gt from a guy not to far from home and I lolly gagged around over it. The guy wanted 500.00 or best offer. Maybe that could be one of his additions. I'm still kicking myself on that one.
    John32 likes this.

Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In an earlier post I mentioned that I had a chance to buy a gt from a guy not to far from home and I lolly gagged around over it. The guy wanted 500.00 or best offer. Maybe that could be one of his additions.
    Rob doesn't have many GT's. I think in that video, only the red Conrero-inspired GT is his. He is more into Ascona's and Manta's and other Euro-only Opels, such as that blue Kadett-C (I think) Aero. A very special car is that black BroadSpeed Manta.
    Last edited by kwilford; 10-30-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    Keith Wilford

Downloads
    Uploads

Rocker Panels

Well I finally finished skim coating and sanding the bottoms of my rocker panels. It might seem like a waste of time to spend a few hours doing this in an area that is not to visible, but I have come to the conclusion that certain details make a big difference in the end. For the main body of the car, because my original parts that I had made years ago didn't have gelcoat on them, I thinned out body filler with some fiberglass resin and skim coated those parts of the car, and sanded it smooth. I prefer it to gelcoat because it is easier to sand and is a lot more flexible, and it will be less prone to spider cracking.
    kwilford, Gabe G and John32 like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Front Bumper

I am contemplating whether or not to use the front bumper or not. What do you guy's think? If I do use it, I will have to fabricate a bit more structure to mount it, so it will actually be useful. These days most cars don't have chrome bumpers, and if you touch something with them, the repair cost is quite high. But they do what they are designed for. The opel bumpers, pretty well escaped the wrath of Ralph Nader, and like most bumpers on sports cars of the day, weren't really that effective in a crash, or even a minor impact. So usually when a mishap took place, you would usually have to repair the bumper and the body, paint etc. So this is why I feel that I really don't need it. Plus it looks good without it. Here are some pictures of what it looks like with the front bumper mocked up. To use or not to use, that is the question.
    Gabe G likes this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information