My fiberglass GT - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would be inclined to say nay to the bumper on an all fiberglass car such as yours. I presume you have straightened out the irregularity where the front end is seamed together.

But, using your pics to compare with and without the bumper, I think it looks better with the bumper. The shape and position of the banana marker lights makes no sense without the bumper line, for one thing.

Nothing says you have to have an oem CHROME bumper there. I like the idea of a tubular bumper, like a nerf bar. If I had done the bodywork to the front end to make a perfect V, without the irregularities, then that's the look my car would have right now. Instead I got a fiberglass copy of a front bumper from opelspyder and painted it yellow.

Many euro dudes have used the fiberglass bumper as a base to form a perfect V front end and then fiberglassed or puttied over it to blend it in. This is a look I like a lot. It imparts a GT Bumper-shaped bulge to the front end and gives the nose a bit more character than what you have now. Of course, if you blend any kind of bumper concept into your front end, rather than a free standing bumper, you still end up with a fragile front end that you're terrified of bumping into something with.

Try bending an 1 1/2" or 2" piece of pipe into the shape of a GT bumper and maybe paint it black, so that it looks like rubber.

The great thing about your car is that you don't have to stick with any of the oem design aspects, you can do whatever you want that looks best to you. Later, if you don't like it or get bored and want to go in another direction, you can fab up some other new fiberglass creation. Have you thought about making a hatch/trunk lid? You've got the perfect car and skills to install some kind of rear access.

Just food for thought.....

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 11-02-2016 at 03:52 PM.
    John B, Gabe G and John32 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Front bumper on the GT is just a cosmetic detail, there is almost no real functionality.
    I am running my GT without bumper but I am not using any front air dam. You have created very large air dam which made the car face pretty high. As per my opinion, bumper will bring more visual balance to the front end of your car. It does not have to be chromed; you can paint it black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jmbinjax and John B like this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with PJ, there needs to be a visual break in the front view. It does not have to be a "bumper" but something is needed. If you just paint a contrasting color where the bumper would be, I think it will look cheap so add something. The existing bumper is the right shape for the car so, as PJ says, you could paint it. What color is the car going to be? That will determine what colors would work.

JMHO -- Doug
    John B likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    People call me Dave
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I am contemplating whether or not to use the front bumper or not.
    IMNSHO the chrome front bumper looks great. It fits the body brilliantly. The original bumper never did anything in real life, so why not tack it on as it looks pretty and defines some lines. Make it very shiny. Very shiny. Shiny is good.
    Last edited by Thanatopsis; 11-02-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Cap fix
    John B and John32 like this.

Owner of EZ2Wire.com My location GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am contemplating whether or not to use the front bumper or not. What do you guy's think? If I do use it, I will have to fabricate a bit more structure to mount it, so it will actually be useful. These days most cars don't have chrome bumpers, and if you touch something with them, the repair cost is quite high. But they do what they are designed for. The opel bumpers, pretty well escaped the wrath of Ralph Nader, and like most bumpers on sports cars of the day, weren't really that effective in a crash, or even a minor impact. So usually when a mishap took place, you would usually have to repair the bumper and the body, paint etc. So this is why I feel that I really don't need it. Plus it looks good without it. Here are some pictures of what it looks like with the front bumper mocked up. To use or not to use, that is the question.
    I think it looks great the way you have it.. it looks like a bumper is molded in..
    John B likes this.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus
    & at least 20 other Opels

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

Thanks for all the good suggestions and great pictures guy's. Some of those cars look real slick. I was thinking from the start that I might try my hand at carbon fiber, by making the bumpers out of it, because they are a nice size and easy shape to make a mold off of. I think they will still just be mostly cosmetic though, unless I mount a piece of 6061 aluminum stock on the inside of them for strength. But like Gordo said, I have lots of options. I guess I could leave it off until I make it or them. I'm going to paint the car dodge viper blue. The same color as the engine bay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Height

What is the height from the ground to the centerline of the bumper on your cars.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My car, with the 1" lowering front and rear springs and 205/50 R15 tires and about 1/2 a tank of gas, measures 17 3/8".

IMG_4296.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    My car, with the 1" lowering front and rear springs and 205/50 R15 tires and about 1/2 a tank of gas, measures 17 3/8".

IMG_4296.jpg
    Yeah, that's about what mine is, at ride height. My front just looks a little beefier because I did a 2 inch drop on the body and frame to give more of a lowered look and to not see the exhaust pipes under the car, when looking at it from the sides.

Downloads
    Uploads

Height

I've got 215/45 R17's on mine using mustang 2, 2 inch dropped spindles on the front. I found an old thread on here from about 2011 where someone was asking if anyone ever tried to use a mustang 2 front end setup on an opel. Seems he couldn't find anyone who did. I kind of cheated a bit this summer, and took my car down the road a couple of times, and it went really well. The airbags are fantastic for smoothing out the bumps on our dirt road. Didn't have any brake fluid in her, so I had to use the E brake to stop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tilt Wheel

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a tilt steering column in a gt. I think it would be a great feature in the GT. I find that my wheel hides the speedo and tack a little. If it could just tilt down about an inch it would be perfect.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Front Bumper

Everyone has a different thought and opinion of subjective subjects like this, and no one person is right. I have looked at a lot of different pictures of GT's with and with out, and I agree with Sci-Fi's thoughts about the banana marker lights on the front looking really odd and out of place without that visual break that the bumper provides. After looking at the pictures of your car without and with, I personally like it with. ALTHOUGH!!! I just now looked at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGp6JQz5BC8 and I LIKE the looks of this one without, but then of course whats missing? Banana marker lights.

I agree that it does not have to be chromed, but I do not like them painted the same body color. I like to go with black and that is my intended front bumper color (I am planning on going yellow with black bumpers and done in the GT-J style. Much like this except with 205/50R15s in smoked chrome http://i.wheelsage.org/pictures/opel...pel_gt_j_2.jpg

Yes it may only be an aesthetics thing and more work to accomplish and if you get in a fender bender with it it's going to be a lot of work to fix and probably expensive to fix (but that can be said either way you go with it) but uhmmmm really, isn't the whole car about aesthetics

Truly boils down to what YOU like. From the fab work I have seen from your pics, I have no doubt that either way you go with it, it will be well done and you will like it.

Tilt Wheel

OH DEAR GOD YES, how I would like, because it would make getting in and out much easier for us older, heavier, taller guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGp6JQz5BC8
    Last edited by Yellow73GT; 11-04-2016 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Add video link
    John B likes this.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Downloads
    Uploads

Bumper

I appreciate your suggestions Chuck. Yeah, I remember seeing that video before, It's quite comical,and endearing.

Owner of EZ2Wire.com My location GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of a tilt steering column in a gt. I think it would be a great feature in the GT. I find that my wheel hides the speedo and tack a little. If it could just tilt down about an inch it would be perfect.
    Yes, an universal aftermarket one from flaming river could be made to fit.

Not sure if I have seen it done or if it was just discussed though.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus
    & at least 20 other Opels

Downloads
    Uploads

Tilt Wheel

Yes, I like the looks of the flaming river columns but they don't have one with the high beam signal lever. At least to my knowledge. But as far as looks are concerned, they have a nice round compact look where the tilt mechanism is housed. Unlike all the monstrosities that are in modern cars today. You would also have to cut and modify the housing and shaft by cutting almost a foot and a half off of it to make it similar to the opel setup. I have two old straight columns from a trans-am and chevy vega that all the flaming river type columns are sort of cloned after. I'll see if I can find a way of modifying one of them, and then transpose the mods to the tilt column.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tilt Wheel

Yeah, flaming river does make a signal lever high beam setup. It's a push button on the end of the lever. The roadster series of columns seem to be the closest to being usable, but would still require modifications of course.

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chuck, both of your video links go to the same video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tilt Wheel

I did some research and found a tilt steering column that would be easy to adapt to the GT. It's made by Ididit. It's a sixteen inch long column with a tube diameter of 2 inches, with a 3/4 inch double D shaft. The opel tube is 2.170 inches in diameter, so a little shimming would make it work. The only real difference, is that the portion that comes out beyond the dash is 7 1/2 inches, without the wheel, so in other words the wheel will be 2 inches closer to you. But with different wheel combo's it may be less. Well, for now, I'll be satisfied with my opel setup, and have lots of sanding to do, to get her ready for primer and paint.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that, if I had it to guess, I would blame either a certain mod around here or the fact that this site has become such a bug and virus infested site, because when I posted the links they DID NOT go to the same video. I will post it again but knowing things here, don't hold your breath, I will probably share it at the other BETTER SITE, WHERE THEY DO NOT HAVE THESE ISSUES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdBojhIpiE

Also if they weren't so scared they were going to piss someone off (wonder why THAT would happen) and that that someone would delete any and ALL "valuable information" they may have shared throughout the years, weeks, days, a guy could edit his post and fix stuff like that. But hey, when you have weak immature personalities in control of a web site, you get what you get. Garbage.
    Last edited by Yellow73GT; 11-06-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information