My fiberglass GT - Page 8
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree310Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Old Photo

When I first started my build thread, I mentioned that I was going to try and find some old pictures of my car. I still haven't figured out where I put the ones of my previous fiberglass build, but I found an old photo of my car in it's original form from 1976. Yeah, I wish it was still just the way it was in the photo. It was a 71, and the original owner had flat top pistons put in it. It went pretty good too. The only drawback was, the solex carb started acting up, and never let it perform like when I first got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, things are progressing nicely on my car. I have both windows installed for a trial run and both are working nicely. I am now in the process of fitting the front and rear side marker lights, and making sure the clearances are going to be enough for primer and paint. I am trying to get them to sit as flush to the body as possible.

I showed molds of most of the parts I have made, but one mold that I forgot about was the mold I made for my cold air intake snorkel. It is a four piece mold. To make it, I had to make a plug. I laminated a few pieces of wood together to make a block in the rough shape of what was required, then proceeded to carve and shape it to the desired form. Once this was achieved, I coated it in a layer of fine fiberglass cloth and resin. I used some filler on it here and there to help get it nice and smooth. Then a couple more coats of resin, and when it was all dry, sanded it all nice and smooth, and finished it off with 600 grit. Now I waxed the heck out of it, (about ten coats to be exact) and applied some pva mold release. I also had to make a separator, to put around the place to divide the upper half from the lower half with a flange.

Now it was time to start making the mold over it. I didn't have any colored gel coat at the time so I used some clear gelcoat I had from another project. First, you apply the gelcoat, let it cure, then apply one more coat. After that I used one layer of very fine surface veil, let it cure, then proceed with 3 layups of 1 1/2 ounce mat. After it was all cured, I parted both halves with a fine slitting saw, and had my molds. I put both halves back on the plug and using a thin separator between each one, applied all the small flanges around the edges to screw them together for making the parts.

I wish I had play by play pictures of the whole procedure, but here are some of the mold, and the plug.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are one sick puppy, with your quest to make your entire car out of fiberglass!

Holy Cow, what's next? A fiberglass exhaust system? Fiberglass engine block? Fiberglass windshield? Fiberglass tires?

When will the madness stop?

John B likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I used to do some electrical maintenance at a nearby wrecking yard and the guy's there called me fiberglass Johnny. But the thing I like about it the most is that when everything is all done, you can say, I made that with a paint brush and a small plastic roller.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mentioned about installing the windows in the doors, and the fitting of the side marker lights. I finished the fitting of the side marker lights so here are some more pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dorr Jamb Switches

Well, a few days ago, I started a thread where I was inquiring about the Gt door jamb switches. I mentioned that I couldn't find my originals, and that I was going to make some custom ones. I started them yesterday morning, and after about an hour or so the hydro went down. I could tell by the way it went off it was something major. Turns out someone took out a few poles about ten miles away from here, and knocked out a substation. We have a generator for the house, but the shop is three phase, so I was dead in the water. So it was off, from 10 in the morning, till just after 11 in the evening.

So first thing this morning I was back at it. I made the mounting plates out of 1/8 stainless, and two of the barrels out of 3/8 stainless round stock. I looked high and low for another piece of stainless to make the third barrel, but couldn't find anymore. So I looked in my tool box, and I found a piece of titanium round stock that someone gave me years ago, so I made the third barrel out of that. I'll be the only guy to have titanium in a door jamb switch I guess. The plungers are also made from stainless steel. Surprisingly enough the titanium was easier to machine than the stainless steel. Stainless steel tends to work harden. So when you start drilling, don't stop or the surface hardens and you have to break through it to start cutting again. Quite hard on drill bits, and cutting oil seems to make things worse. I made aluminum end caps that screw into the ends of the barrels to hold the works inside.

They are pretty well all done, except for the connectors, that I will make from .020 brass shim stock. I'll post more pictures of them when they are completed, but here are some pictures of them so far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I tried to edit a spelling mistake in my last post and somehow it's posted twice. There's more pictures.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you keep them from grounding when pushed in?
    John B likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    ...and since the OEM switch grounds to the body, will there be a separate wire for completing the circuit? I assume that this issue comes up with virtually every electrical thing that you wire on your fiberglass GT
    John B likes this.
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Where I attach my terminals under that 4-40 screw in the bottom of the plunger, I am going to insulate them with some bushings made out of delrin. That way they will only ground out when the plunger is extended and they contact the barrel. Similar to the way the insulators are on a set of ignition points.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    ...and since the OEM switch grounds to the body, will there be a separate wire for completing the circuit? I assume that this issue comes up with virtually every electrical thing that you wire on your fiberglass GT
    Yes Keith, I'll have to attach a ground wire to them also. I think that it will work out good for the buzzer switch though, because it looks like that switches contacts are isolated from ground. But I will have to attach one wire to the barrel of the switch and the other to the end terminal.

John

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow
    Great work for such small part
    We here can take it easy and use also the Opel Corsa B ones.
    The Corsa B have both style of switch on same car!The Driver side have two terminals and the passenger side one!

But we are all next door to a junk yard
    John B likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'll be the only guy to have titanium in a door jamb switch I guess. The plungers are also made from stainless steel. Surprisingly enough the titanium was easier to machine than the stainless steel. Stainless steel tends to work harden.
    Holy Shiatzu!

Interesting about the titanium vs. stainless hardness. I tried to drill and re-tap a stripped titanium bicycle crank axle years ago. It was darn near impossible to work with the stuff. I ended up snapping off a tap in it. We needed to drill 100's of 1/2" holes in some pretty thick stainless sheet metal here at work a few years back. We opted to buy a pretty expensive punch apparatus to do the job.
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Holy Shiatzu!

Interesting about the titanium vs. stainless hardness. I tried to drill and re-tap a stripped titanium bicycle crank axle years ago. It was darn near impossible to work with the stuff. I ended up snapping off a tap in it. We needed to drill 100's of 1/2" holes in some pretty thick stainless sheet metal here at work a few years back. We opted to buy a pretty expensive punch apparatus to do the job.
    There are different grades of titanium, just like aluminum. This piece I have is probably not as hard as the grade you were working with. I got it from this guy who owned a hobby shop down in the city. I made a deal with him, to build a scale model of a Florida everglades style air boat in a trade for that yellow helicopter of mine. It was 5 feet long and 2 feet wide, all riveted, together with solid rivets. He gave me a spare helicopter rotor head and a gas powered engine to set up on it, thinking he could have variable pitch blades. So he gave me that piece of titanium to make the rotor shaft out of. But I finally convinced him that, helicopter rotor blades for the purpose of propelling something like that would be totally inefficient. We went with a proper pusher prop and the thing went perfect. I think he thought I was bullshooting him about me building him this thing though, because 2 weeks after starting it, I walked into his store with it and he was surprised as anything. He had video of it running. I have some pictures of it on my old 35 mm camera but never got them developed. I wonder if after all these years they can still be developed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My switches are all done, tested and ready to go. I figured that instead of trying to mount a ground wire to the body of the switch, I'll just ground the mounting plate.
    rrossjr and P.J. Romano like this.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    awesome work and you are the RallyBob of fiberglass for sure!
    John B likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, where are you overall with this awesome project?

Have you started on an interior yet or are you still working out body details, lighting, etc.?

I'm just trying to get a sense of your to-do list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    So, where are you overall with this awesome project?

Have you started on an interior yet or are you still working out body details, lighting, etc.?

I'm just trying to get a sense of your to-do list.

No, Interior stuff being done upholstery wise, but I figured for a change of pace, I will install my remote starter kit. Have to take out the instrument panel to mount it behind there. Overall, the body is pretty well all sanded, but it seems every now and then I notice a little spot here and there that needs taking care of. Hopefully I'll be priming it as soon as the weather gets warm enough. I still have to bleed my master cylinders, and the brakes and check for leaks. I was going to make a list last week as a matter of fact, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I have some pictures of it on my old 35 mm camera but never got them developed. I wonder if after all these years they can still be developed.
    Yes..
    John B likes this.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you think your car will be heavier, lighter, or about the same weight as an oem GT?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information