My fiberglass GT - Page 9
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: My fiberglass GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Do you think your car will be heavier, lighter, or about the same weight as an oem GT?

I think it will probably be a couple of hundred pounds heavier, but that's not to bad, with the extra power. It has a low center of gravity, so I think it should handle fairly well. But I think power steering will be a good upgrade for it. I wish i could use the electric type, but I have no room for it under the dash.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it was maybe member Addollff Reppolleppo() or maybe another member who has installed an electric power steering gizmo in the engine compartment.
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it was maybe member Addollff Reppolleppo() or maybe another member who has installed an electric power steering gizmo in the engine compartment.
    I was just reading your thread about your power steering install. Very informative. There were other guy's who used the saturn units under the hood. With this nice weather we've been having, i might take a trip to the wreakers
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I was just reading your thread about your power steering install. Very informative. There were other guy's who used the saturn units under the hood. With this nice weather we've been having, i might take a trip to the wreakers
    I have fitted the opel corsa power steering under the hood.
    The alternator needed moving, moved mine up but it can be moved to the passenger side.

check this out

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/3b-stee...-abs-ring.html

this is a corsa c type and I believe the corsa b type will fit under the dash, its just a bit tight.
    My set up works quite well with the cheap ebay controller but i will probably go with origional the abs toothed wheel and relay, as mentioned, as then it will be fully auto.
    I have used steering rack bellows to waterproof my setup and I think it will do the job. I have the toothed wheel but it is 1 or 2mm too wide to fit on the front hub snugly or tightly but I should be able to sort that.

I am at the moment making the front suspension adjustable coil over shock instead of the leaf spring.
    Last edited by nickincrete; 02-28-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Correction: It was our buddy Nick in Crete who did the under the hood install.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the pictures there Nick, good job. I will go to the wreckers, on the next warm day,and check to see whats available, but it seems space is always hard to come by for me, and usually anyone else who is doing modifications to their cars. I often think of how nice it would have been if the designers of the GT, would have thought to make it at least 3 inches wider per side. Oh the possibilities! I might just have to get a power rack and install a steering pump, but along with that I have to add a couple of idler pulleys and a belt tensioner, along with brackets to put everything where it will fit. So there goes the uncluttered look of the engine compartment. I've been to a few car shows, and have seen a lot of older cars, where when you look under the hood, all you see is the engine, almost no wires or hoses and empty space, I like that look.

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I often think of how nice it would have been if the designers of the GT, would have thought to make it at least 3 inches wider per side. Oh the possibilities!
    I know only one who do that, 8,66 inches wider!

Keinath GT Coupe,Frame and Roadster!

http://up.picr.de/14120893rt.jpg
    opelnut_1 and John B like this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    I know only one who do that, 8,66 inches wider!

Keinath GT Coupe,Frame and Roadster!

http://up.picr.de/14120893rt.jpg
    Norbert, how about Ricky Slade - 1969 Opel GT - Under Water - Hot Rod Network

Keith did a lot of this work IIRC!

Member Profile - Opel Photo Gallery

Doug
    nickincrete and John B like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get the Sawzall out John.

Chop your car in half.

Fill the gap with fiberglass.

You're the only one of us with a car that it would actually make sense and be fairly easily doable.

nickincrete and John B like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Making the car wider is easy, but where are you going to find the front and rear glass to fit. That's the real setback to doing it the proper way. I know you can superficially, add thickness to the outside of the doors and body there, but the inside dimensions won't change, so no point in doing that.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, just put a fiberglass bar down the middle of a cut in half windshield. You don't need to look out of the WHOLE windshield all the time. The back window is easy, either keep the oem one and just make your now widened window opening smaller or you can do that Corvette mod where you just put a short vertical window back there. Better yet, get a Corvette windshield! Just slop fiberglass wherever it doesn't fit! A Corvette windshield should be pretty close to the same shape. Or find a junk Vette and chop the whole windshield opening and glass out of it and morph it onto your car! Wheeee!

If you need anymore brilliant ideas to keep you working on your car until you're 90, I'm here for ya buddy!

John B likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, just put a fiberglass bar down the middle of a cut in half windshield. You don't need to look out of the WHOLE windshield all the time. The back window is easy, either keep the oem one and just make your now widened window opening smaller or you can do that Corvette mod where you just put a short vertical window back there. Better yet, get a Corvette windshield! Just slop fiberglass wherever it doesn't fit! A Corvette windshield should be pretty close to the same shape. Or find a junk Vette and chop the whole windshield opening and glass out of it and morph it onto your car! Wheeee!

If you need anymore brilliant ideas to keep you working on your car until you're 90, I'm here for ya buddy!

OOOOOOOOO! An Opel GT "split window" now that will add to the "mini-Corvette" chorus!

Doug
    The Scifi Guy and John B like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got back from my nieces birthday party, but that idea about the split window thing entered my mind there. Must be
    ESP. Your talking about a pretty wide split there, like about six inches. If it were like the old cars it would sort of be cool, but six inches not so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rear window seems pretty flat, that one may be easy. The front one though....
    John B likes this.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I managed to get my door jamb switches installed today. Mostly just a trial run to figure out the best method to use to get them in there without any hacking, once the paint is on. Because of the limited space I have for the length of the switch, I need to have the terminal connectors on the ends at a right angle. The only trouble with this, was that in order for me to try installing the switch from the front, would require a humongous hole. So I figured out a way to fish them down and out from the inside. I used a piece of windshield washer hose, pushing it through the hole and up and out the top hinge pocket. Then I plugged the plunger into the end of the hose, and used it to pull the switch down and out through the hole. I then screwed the mounting plate on and fastened them in place. I also made some special ring connector terminals for the ground wires, that mount under the end cap on the bottoms of the switches. Problem solved. Now I just have to make the holes in the side panels and pass the wires out and connect them to the switches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got back from my nieces birthday party, but that idea about the split window thing entered my mind there. Must be
    ESP. Your talking about a pretty wide split there, like about six inches. If it were like the old cars it would sort of be cool, but six inches not so.
    Hmmm! Adding a little sheet metal on the outboard edge (3/4" per side) and using a modified stock rubber (which adds about 1/4" per side), a 4" center section would fill the new opening. Looking at the actual '63 split window (below), that looks to be pretty close to stock (on a wider car). I've had a model GT (1/24th scale) from OU sitting on my desk for about a year trying to decide if I wanted to make a "real" split window out of it! Right now I would like to find time to work on the 1/1 scale in the shop! But the thought never goes too far from my mind!

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    The split window on the vette looked good, and accented the looks, of the swept back V shape very well. But they never attempted it on the front window. Some people didn't even like it on the rear window, as in Mr. Duntov, who put the end to it. On a flat shaped rear window like the opel's I don't think it would have the same appeal. Anyways it's like Gordo said, if I need any ideas to keep me working on it until I'm 90 years old, this would be the one to do it. Nevertheless, it's still fun to entertain such Ideas in ones mind.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WHAAAAT!

Giving up on the idea so soon?

C'mon, you KNOW you wanna do it.......:

batmobile-30112012-jpg_120219.jpg 81Lc2ZJXj4L__SX522_.jpg

John B likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads