This project has been going on now for about ten years now, and of course not being worked on all of the time. It is actually a reincarnation of the first time I put the car together. This time it is done a lot better than the first time. I wish I could find the old pictures of the car from the first build, but no luck so far. Back in the late seventies my 71 gt was hurting pretty bad with rust. I had no tools to speak of back then and trying to do a restoration in metal was out of my realm. So instead of taking the car to the wreckers, I decided to try and make molds of the body. I had no clue about fiberglass at the time and didn't know that fiberglass parts were made in fiberglass molds. So I made plaster molds of all the various sections of the car. They turned out to be usable, so about a year after I made the molds I finally got around to making the parts. Because all the parts were in sections I had to put them all together to make the body. I used the inner shell of the body as a mold itself. I just laid up my fiberglass on it and got the complete floor pans and inner shell. But to get it all out I had to cut the car apart. In this first build I retained the metal drive tunnel and firewall and door jambs, plus the upper windshield perimeter and fastened the rest to it. It turned out not to bad.
I also made a frame out of 2x3x1/8 rectangular tube to mount it all on. I did all my cutting with a hacksaw, but at least I had a welder. I went to the wreckers and got a front suspension unit out of a mustang 2. I also found a dodge 8 3/4 rear end. for the engine I bought a 327 chevy with a turbo 400 transmission. For the front part of the body I just fastened the hood to the fenders in one piece and made a tilt front end. The only thing was I couldn't use the rotating headlights. But to make along story short I finally got it on the road and drove it for a summer and then parked it in our drive shed and there it sat for 25 years. I finally got the bug to do a better job on it, so I cut it all apart and scrapped the frame and built a whole new one. I also assembled the body with a lot more precision and made it completely out of fiberglass. This new build has a lt1 350 with a 4l60e tranny, and for the rear end an old jaguar unit with 331 gears. I also got the stienmetz flare and skirt kit from the opel gt source. It is just at the stage to get ready for primer but I'll post some pictures of it as it is so far.