Gordo's GTX: The Sequel - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gordo's GTX: The Sequel

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are some great ideas you guys have found for me! I'll buy some of each and give them a try.

I guess I've developed a phobia to black knobbly wire wrap after staring at the old funky wiring in GT's and the turd above the fuse box area for 30 years. Yeah, chromy wrap is a bit over the top, red might be better. Also, I wrapped every single thing on that side of the engine: Some of the black rubber fuel line, battery cables, skinny wires. I didn't have to do that, I just wanted to get a sense of what it would look like if I wrapped everything. I took the pictures so that I could stand back and digest the look. I agree with y'all, it doesn't look much better. After I took the pics I realised that what really bothered me was that long black bundle that all GTers have going along the overhang of the side of the hood opening where the clips to hold it are. I realised that I don't need to route that bundle there because I don't have the turd and all the wires entering the top of the footwell above the fuse box. My wires enter the front of the footwell/fuse box area. So, I pulled the wire out of that area and was able to push it down below the brake booster support where it can barely be seen:

IMG_4829.jpg

Just that one move made me like the look over there much better than all the grey wrap I installed. That wire bundle was also messing with my ability to put the hood prop rod in it's rubber holder. Now I can get it in there no problem!(Yeah, I know my prop rod is all twisty. It got bent in half at a windy car show.) So, I'll buy some of the suggestions you guys found for me and see if I can dial in my look a little better.

Thanks for the ideas and critiques!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gordo
    But I can tell you!
    Do not drive to Carlisle with all the water spotting on the chrome at all aereas
    You will not win one flower pot

The Candidat have only 4 points

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a protective coating I put on all my chromy stuff composed of snot from sneezing, phlegm and tobacco spittle from coughing, icky goo from squeezing zits, blood from slipping with my wrenches, radiator fluid from forgetting to put the cap on, oil from running the engine without the valve cover on, and spilled beer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So that will mean,A typical "Girls Car" at all

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went wild and bought some of everything in every size. I bought a combo pack of 6mm and 10mm chrome spiral motorcycle wrap from England and I bought some of every size of the split, aluminum covered, corrugated wire wrap from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-c...eving/=16umlfn

It's always nice to have plenty of options.

When I put the Steinmetz intake manifold on I'm going to have reroute and redo all sorts of hoses and their wraps on the carb side, so having plenty of choices and supply on hand will help that job and my current wire wrap project

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The McMaster-Carr wire wrap arrived and I have to say I am VERY pleased with it. I bought a type with an aluminum coating in every size. They were sold in 3 foot lengths and several of the sizes I bought 2 of and the other sizes just one. The coating of shiny stuff is nothing like the auto store chromed plastic wrap. This appears to be an aluminum foil adhered VERY firmly to the underlying plastic, which is a pale beige-ish color and twice as thick as the auto store type. Auto store type is chrome on black plastic. The type I got gives protection to it's contents up to 300*.

IMG_4835.jpg
    John B likes this.

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And now you will wrap this Chair for special guests
    SpringGT and The Scifi Guy like this.

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    The McMaster-Carr wire wrap arrived and I have to say I am VERY pleased with it. I bought a type with an aluminum coating in every size. They were sold in 3 foot lengths and several of the sizes I bought 2 of and the other sizes just one. The coating of shiny stuff is nothing like the auto store chromed plastic wrap. This appears to be an aluminum foil adhered VERY firmly to the underlying plastic, which is a pale beige-ish color and twice as thick as the auto store type. Auto store type is chrome on black plastic. The type I got gives protection to it's contents up to 300*.

IMG_4835.jpg
    One will need a pair sun glasses to look at your engine bay once your done with it Kidding, looking forward to seeing it in a couple months Gordo.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

New and Improved! Now with even MORE chrominess!

Here's my engine compartment pics for 2017.

I installed the new chromy wrap I bought and the process and end result are acceptable.

Chromy wire wrap.jpg Engine compartment 3-25-17 (1).jpg Engine compartment 3-25-17 (2).jpg Engine compartment 3-25-17 (3).jpg Engine compartment 3-25-17 (4).jpg Engine compartment 3-25-17 (5).jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit, it looks pretty good there Gordon. And if it works as a thermal barrier, it's an extra feature that's worth it. Does that go on like a spiral wrap?

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The engine compartment you presently see is the culmination of 7-8 years of buying shiny stuff. I had a budget of about $300 or so per year that I allocated towards bling. Altogether there's about $2000 worth of shiny stuff in there. That's not much money considering how much people pay for full car restorations, engines, paint jobs, and interiors. There's also a mix of chromed stuff, stainless steel, and various material wraps and tubings. The brake booster vacuum hose, for instance, is a fiberglass tubing with foil on it that is supposed to be protective to 500*. The radiator and heater hoses are from some company in Germany that makes flexible stainless steel tubing. I had a lot of the stainless heater hose left over, so I used it as sleeves over small vacuum hoses and other things. The chromy fan shroud is just something from Jeg's. The radiator cover is VERY special, though. Member Don Harold made it for me as a gift. It's stainless and has the sweetest welding done to it that you've ever seen. Don's shop made something that was in one of the Mars Rovers. I'm The Scifi Guy, having something that was made by a guy who made something that's on Mars is just about the coolest thing I could ever have. It's machined to an accuracy of less than a millimeter and just snaps on to the radiator. I can't close the hood with it on because it interferes, so I have to remove it to close, but it snaps on and off with relative ease. Some other things like radiator caps and my brake fluid reservoir cover are actually carved out billet aluminum creations that I later sent out for chroming.......or will when they start to oxidize. The battery box I had made by a company that makes custom mirror stainless battery enclosures. The shiny plates in the corners near the firewall are aluminum covers I made that I had chromed. Heck, if I could take the cover off of my MSD ignition system box, I'd have that chromed, too.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question: No, none of the chromy wrap is twist or wind on. Almost all of it is solid tubing with no splits. The wiring covers that I just put on ARE a split tubing type. I'm still waiting for the spiral chromy wrap to come from England, although I really can't think of too many other things I could wrap with it.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 3 Days Ago at 07:49 AM.
    John B likes this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The twist on 3/16"ID and 5/16"ID x 5' twist-on motorcycle cable wrap I ordered from England arrived. It's made in Taiwan.

It looks pretty good!!!

IMG_4872.jpg

The chrome appears to be well-adhered to the underlying plastic and shows no signs of flaking off just by touching it like the auto store split-type does. It's extremely flexible. The underlying plastic is CLEAR, unlike the auto store split-type that is chrome on black plastic(dumb!). So, if it does eventually flake off, the plastic underneath is like glass and not nearly as noticable.

Senior Member My location SteveGT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steven
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    The twist on 3/16"ID and 5/16"ID x 5' twist-on motorcycle cable wrap I ordered from England arrived. It's made in Taiwan.

It looks pretty good!!!

IMG_4872.jpg

The chrome appears to be well-adhered to the underlying plastic and shows no signs of flaking off just by touching it like the auto store split-type does. It's extremely flexible. The underlying plastic is CLEAR, unlike the auto store split-type that is chrome on black plastic(dumb!). So, if it does eventually flake off, the plastic underneath is like glass and not nearly as noticable.

Gordo, check out "WireCare.com" they have some real cool wire wrap, just received my shipment of 5 different sizes
    in black, awesome stuff...They have chrome as well.

SteveGT
    "71 Manta Rallye aka....BLKNBLU

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I'll check them out.

Got the jets today, thanks!

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads