Opel 3.0 - A New Beginning...
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Opel 3.0 - A New Beginning...

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel 3.0 - A New Beginning...

Ok so I decided to end working on my 1969 Opel GT that some have followed in the Opel 2.0 Thread. There were several reasons which I will let you read about in my closing post on that thread. This thread is to follow the work on my new 1970 Opel GT which I picked up in Greeley, CO. This car was originally white with a red interior. It also has Air conditioning which does not work. This car has ZERO rust. I mean ZERO. This is a new concept for me with regards to Opel GTs. Of course I realized that starting with a great base car is the best possible option. This car started life in Montrose, CA. I have no information on the original owner other than a service slip from 1975 for a 'Mr. Rice'. I do know the lady that he sold the car to in 1983. I spoke to her on the phone. She drove it in California on occasion and eventually moved to Greeley, CO where she had it painted red (bad job that faded to orange) and rarely drove it. She said it has been sitting in a garage for 30 years and it shows. The battery box is even still intact. I may not get out much in the Opel community but I have never had a car with it's battery box still there. I know- I am cheap and pathetic. All my cars from the past are from the midwest and might as well have been bathing in salt solution. Their condition has always showed it.

At any rate, here it is:

Now the plans for this are:
    1. Lose the A/C.
    2. Remove the engine and put in the rebuilt one that I had for the 69.
    3. I am keeping the red interior and painting the car silver. I love this color combination.
    4. Im going to go through all the mechanicals to make sure they are OK. (I have a rebuilt steering rack and pinion and several other parts to swap.)
    5. Rust proof with POR-15 anywhere possible.

I have already started but here are a few other photos:

Gordy, OrangPeEL, ggl and 3 others like this.
    Scott

1969 GT Opel 2.0 abandoned
    1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So the first order of business today was to work on eliminating that A/C. I know some of you are probably dying thinking that I should leave it in and get it working. It's missing some parts and I think the center console looks ridiculous with it installed. Getting that compressor and all the mounts out were a royal pain! I am not certain if this was a factory install or if it was done by a dealer. I have seen some pics with the compressor on the driver's side. My GT had it on the passenger side. They had eliminated the stand for the breather and pounded a bit on the surrounding area to make it fit. Not thrilled about that!

So after a lot of trouble, I gained space back in the engine compartment:

The interior was a bit tricky too. We had to remove the seats to twist that center console out of position without cracking it on the E-Brake. I ended up installing my black center console and tray from Opie, my first GT I cut up a few years ago. It looks OK, but I would really like to have red versions of these. If anyone has any suggestions or red parts they would part with, please let me know. I added a new shift boot and changed out the gear shift lever with a better one that I had.

I am not thrilled about the mixed color look. The back carpeted deck looks much better without that A/C blower.

So, next I need to check on the fuel tank. When I jacked the car up on the passenger side of the car to unbolt the A/C compressor bracket from underneath, my 6 year old daughter noticed gas flowing out of the rear of the car. It doesn't leak when sitting level. Could be a vent hose off or perhaps there is a hole in the tank, Will need to look into that.

So I need red interior parts. I will make the door panels work but will need new carpet, seat upholstery and dash work. Did they make the center console and tray in red or was it always black in the red cars?

I have a new black carpet set, new black headliner, new black spare tire flap, a new black plastic dash cap and some nice reupholstered black seats. All of which are worthless in a red interior.... Will likely be selling some of these items. Let me know if any of you need some of these parts - or if you have red parts.

John B likes this.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's very little of the oem red interior stuff out there....that's worth a dam. I was trying to collect various red interior pieces a few years back and what was available was in atrocious condition. The red seems to have been a very unstable color and the shade of red used on the plastic pieces doesn't match the color of the vinyl pieces, at least on the pieces I received. Arm rests were tough to get in red in good condition, so I found out that painting a spare cream colored set with red spray fabric paint worked really well and held up under use very well, also. I also have visors, but they look like maroon on the back side and they're blackened in the front where the sun hits them. The skinny passenger door pull handles have survived the best and most look brand new, but it's hard to find one with intact screw caps.

OGTS offers reproductions of many of those red items. I personally would make my own upholstered items and use red fabric/vinyl/plastic paint for things like the instrument panel and center console.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice Gordon. I have looked into OGTS for red interior pieces and was considering buying a few of those parts. Costs rack up pretty quickly. Hoping to sell some of my new black interior pieces to pay for it. Do you know if the center console and tray came in red from the factory or do people just paint them?
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know about the center console pieces, for sure. I would think that the part around the shifter would/could have been red because that piece is vinyl wrapped. The rearward tray is all plastic and could have been made from the pretty color stable plastic they used, but I can't say I've ever seen one in red. After almost 50 years, I wouldn't trust hardly any of the interior pieces to stand the test of time. Even if you have an uncracked dash and intact seats in the car that you found sitting in a garage for 30 years, as soon as you start driving and using it those things will go to heck pretty quick. I have found and installed uncracked dashes and perfect seats in the past and within 6 months they were carp.

When I get home from work I'll post some pics of red interiors

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red Interior Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Thanks for the advice Gordon. I have looked into OGTS for red interior pieces and was considering buying a few of those parts. Costs rack up pretty quickly. Hoping to sell some of my new black interior pieces to pay for it. Do you know if the center console and tray came in red from the factory or do people just paint them?
    The regular center console did come in red from the factory on red interior cars. However the A/C console came in black only.

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I talked to Gill today at OGTS. He is willing to take back some of my new black interior components and swap for red
    -YES!-
    Today I worked on the bad fuel smell in the cockpit. I took the tail-light assemblies out on the drivers side to confirm the rotten vent line. I worked on that all evening trying to replace with new. Some was a bit tricky but in the end - success. There was one big snafu that took me by surprise. Apparently there HAS in fact been some body damage to the back passenger fender. There was a section welded on back there. The body work is so flawless that I still can't tell. They did it with so little filler - the right way at least. Im going to get the interior parts I need and do some research on the red interior options. I have the ABS plastic dash cap. Gill suggested painting it with color match paint. Also, he said that they made the plastic tray in red originally but it was made of terrible plastic that disintegrated over time. He suggests painting a black one. As far as the center console goes, Gill sells a vinyl cover for that. It's coming together. He has no red carpet though. He is working with a new vendor on custom fit carpet for the GT. He said that the quality will be so much better than the old stock and that we should look for the new stuff this summer. My carpet is not so bad so I can put up with a few faded areas for now.

For now I am going to get interior parts and wait for warmer weather to get real serious on the car. Right now its just fun to have my Opel back to drive around! I think the motor mounts are like rocks. The engine doesn't flex and the car rattles like mad.
    MikeNotigan likes this.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So a few small things done. Ordered a few engine parts and pulled my rebuilt 1.9 litre engine from the storage locker. It has been waiting for a few years. Bought it from a friend of mine. He rebuilt it a few years ago, had put less than 3000 miles on it and then decided to put a V8 in. I was happy to get it. He claims to have converted it to a 2 litre and put a diff Cam in it. After sitting for a while, I decided that it needed a few new gaskets and a water pump. Hoping to start it on a stand in a couple weeks.

I also cut a breather stand out of a parts car to replace the one that was cut out of the car when the dealer installed the AC unit. They weren't too kind with the mallet and made a mess trying to gain clearance for that compressor. Hoping to pull the old motor soon.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK so I need some advice from the Opel Gurus. I am considering what to do with my cracked dash. I talked to Gill at OGTS about what to do. I am considering either getting the stitched dash cover in red or painting a abs plastic dash cap with some kind of color match paint. Any advice from anyone that has used these methods?
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Downloads
    Uploads

Senior Member My location tealcarver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    I was hesitant on sending my dash to Just Dashes, mainly because of the cost. I had already spent a ton of money on the GT and figured that I would save the money of a restoration of the dash. My brother in law agreed (I thought), He said, you never see the dash any way, what difference would it make? I thought about his sarcasm and figured that I would have it done right by Just Dashes. Expensive? Yes...worth it? absolutely. It is a lot of money to lay out for the restoration, but I would have spent about half that amount using a dash pad or a stitched cover any way or just spent the money on something else. Sent it off, about four weeks later, I got it back. Opened the shipping carton and almost cried. It was perfect, beyond my expectations for sure. Do I ever regret spending the money? NO. It is a perfect example of an Opel GT dash, made with modern materials that are not subject to cracks and splits like the original. I now look over a perfect dash when I drive the GT. It reminds me of when the GT was brand new.

So my advice is to have it done by Just Dashes, you will never regret it. They can cover it in any color you choose, and their work is incredible. I am not sure what the current price is, I got mine done about 12 years ago, prices were definitely cheaper then, but so were the wages at the job. I can't stress enough that it made all the difference in the world in the interior of the car. My bother in laws comments pushed me over the edge on the decision, glad he is an A-hole.

Here is a link to Just Dashes Opel GT dash restoration, it will make your mouth water:

http://www.justdashes.com/2012/04/19...d-restoration/

Good luck on your restoration, you will love it when everything is done.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 02-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those guys are good! Wow! I called them and they are definitely pricy! Will have to consider and reconsider the options. I might start with a less expensive option for now so I can afford some other parts I need but It's always something that I can do later. Thanks for sharing it with me. Those guys are good at what they do!

Anyone had experience with the ABS dash cap or the vinyl cover?

Also, my car seems to have molding down either side that may have been original from the factory. Has anyone seen any of this? I like the look of it but it's missing one piece. Anyone have any of this stuff? Might just be aftermarket stuff but I don't think so.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been too cold to get anything done to my car so I have been stockpiling parts. I got a new stainless steel bumper set - (I've been wanting one of those for sooooo long!) I am very pleased with them. When I broke the bubble wrap, I almost drooled on them. At any rate, the red interior is coming together with new upholstery here and carpet due in the mail today. I bought several red items from OGTS as well.

It's finally a bit warm so I worked on a stand for pulling the engine from my car. I have done this in the past but never had a good way to secure and transport the engine out from under the car. Last weekend, I got the idea to make something out of an old engine crossmember and some tube steel. I welde up a 't' pattern and welded some metal casters on there. It came out quite nice and rolls easy. I had to raise the engine off the crossmember so that it would clear my center shaft so it's noit quite as low as I would have liked it. It turned out pretty good tho. Here are some pics.

I am having an aweful time getting started on the teardown of this car. I have high hopes for getting a lot done this year and I am having too much fun driving the opel around. It's been 3 or 4 years since I've had one driving around. It's killing me.
    markandson likes this.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting those pics. You just gave an amazing idea.

One of the biggest challenges to putting an engine in the car is getting it UNDER the car. I usually use a dolley with a flat bottom and the engine resting on the oil pan (which isn't really a good idea).

With what you did it's easy enough to take some square tube steel and make a custom dolley with two flat plates on the bottom. One for balancing with the head and one without. (easier to get an engine in and out with the head off).

I may have the metal I need already.

Thanks again.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Thanks for posting those pics. You just gave an amazing idea.

One of the biggest challenges to putting an engine in the car is getting it UNDER the car. I usually use a dolley with a flat bottom and the engine resting on the oil pan (which isn't really a good idea).

With what you did it's easy enough to take some square tube steel and make a custom dolley with two flat plates on the bottom. One for balancing with the head and one without. (easier to get an engine in and out with the head off).

I may have the metal I need already.

Thanks again.
    I had to make the risers under the motor mounts in diff lengths. When the engine is in the car, it is lopsided a bit as the crossmember is lower on one side of the engine. I had to make some stand-offs out of pipe to level the engine out. I have had this idea for a while but just didn't pull engines that often. After working on VW air cooled engines the last 3 or 4 years, I had forgotten how heavy the 1.9 is. I really needed an easy way to handle it out of the car. Also, the crossmember is only 3 sided at the cross to the 't' so it would split under the weight. Don't forget to weld some metal to the bottom to box it in for strength.
    Glad this helps others.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to make the risers under the motor mounts in diff lengths. When the engine is in the car, it is lopsided a bit as the crossmember is lower on one side of the engine. I had to make some stand-offs out of pipe to level the engine out. I have had this idea for a while but just didn't pull engines that often. After working on VW air cooled engines the last 3 or 4 years, I had forgotten how heavy the 1.9 is. I really needed an easy way to handle it out of the car.
    Glad this helps others.
    Well, I'm thinking of not using a cross member as a component. I was thinking of using the 13mm bolt holes on the sides of the block as the mount points for the "cart". That way the engine cross member could be installed while the engine is still connected to the cart.

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Well, I'm thinking of not using a cross member as a component. I was thinking of using the 13mm bolt holes on the sides of the block as the mount points for the "cart". That way the engine cross member could be installed while the engine is still connected to the cart.
    Ah.. I see. Opel owners, always thinking! So hard to get that engine out from under without jacking the front end of the car up to your neck. I thought this would be better but it's still a bit higher than I would like. You'r cart may make it even lower. Post some pics when you git'r done.
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah.. I see. Opel owners, always thinking! So hard to get that engine out from under without jacking the front end of the car up to your neck. I thought this would be better but it's still a bit higher than I would like. You'r cart may make it even lower. Post some pics when you git'r done.
    I will but I don't know that my cart will be that much lower.

Here's a trick for you. Remove the driver front wheel and you can snake the engine through the wheel well. The front of the car is about 10" lower to do that.

Jacking up the front of the car is the most dangerous part of pulling the engine, it seems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the new GT! When I saw the pic I couldn't believe it...it is a virtual twin to my 69 when I bought it. Same faded orangey red repaint, red interior slowly turning purple, a/c and protective strips down the side. I do believe they are aftermarket (look for paint masking or overspray around them to tell if they were on before the repaint. Mine are long gone, I think.

Mine had the a/c console and when I removed it there was a piece of original red carpet in place of the plastic tray. It wasn't the first I've seen without the tray. I have yet to determine if all GTs had the tray and carpet underneath.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Real Name
    Scott Mood
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah! Finally a break in the weather, and with that, some progress. I am saddened by the fact that it's time to start tearing the Opel apart. It was so hard to stop having fun driving and start working... My wife is an excellent motivator. First order of business was engine removal. (Used the new stand) Today we started the tear down. Here are a few pics of the progress. I am off this week so hopefully there is much work done this week. As it turns out, my wife loves destruction... er I mean deconstruction!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

1970 GT
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1977 VW Bus
    1970 VW Beetle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information