1970 Opet GT, jrjensen, Fix-it-Project Thread
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy

Thread: 1970 Opet GT, jrjensen, Fix-it-Project Thread

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

1970 Opet GT, jrjensen, Fix-it-Project Thread

Well, this is what is new on the home front. The 1970 GT is at Thiel's Garage in Canandaigua, NY. He works on imports. I am glad it is there for engine work, tranny, and brakes. The engine head is currently at the machine shop. It needs a valve job, with hardened seats, springs, and new valves. It does need camshaft bearings. Compression test was good. We are just starting to investigate the cylinder walls, pistons, rings. Believe we will be dealing with that situation also. Will see. The transmission leaked so much that it is getting a flush job, new filter, seals and gasket. The rear main brake seals leaked so much, that it is all over the shoes. Looked at them yesterday. Will get that fixed while on the rack. Yes, we wanted it mechanically sound to license/inspect it. It doesn't need much body work. Everyone wants to the buff the paint to see if it will shine again. It is currently red, but was a yellow car with black interior. It does need a dash pad, are they being reproduce? It is really cracked. Seats are good, gauges are good. Have an original radio to put back in it. We want to the keep the car and show it. Nothing like a OPEL. Yes, it uses a GM tranny for the automatic. Same as used in Chevettes, I am told. Will keep you posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the 3sp auto tranny's and have had them in my GT's for 30 years. Indestructible. In the congested Northeast where we live, I just think they're the better choice. I'd have to shift 200 times just to get out of my town. I don't drive a GT so that I can shift those crappy 4sp's constantly, I drive GT's so that I can DRIVE. You'll never replace a clutch or worry about blowing your synchros or stripping gears. They're also a lot easier on your drive train and your engine and rear axle will last a LOT longer.

If you're a top speed guy or an interstate terrorist or do long highway trips, then a manual tranny is the better choice.

They do have leak issues, though, but they're generally confined to 4 places: The bottom pan gasket, the fill tube where it seats into the tranny, the tranny lines, and the kick down cable due to leakage in the speedo gear seals. The fill tube MUST be fully seated into the tranny so that the little ring bulge in it sits tightly against the tranny. If there's just 1/32" gap between the ring/bulge and the tranny it will leak. Tranny lines: Have a shop professionally install new ones if they're leaking. The kick down cables are a PIA. Brand new ones start to crack almost as soon as you install them and if the rubber seals inside the speedo gear on the tranny that the cable attaches to are tired out, fluid will get into the cable and leak out the cracks. I don't have advice to give you about the pan gaskets. Rule of thumb: NEVER mess with them.
    MikeNotigan likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dash pads and dash pad covers are available. Start with Opel GT Source in California

Thread Information