So some of you may remember I have a 1973 Opel Manta rust bucket that I was hoping to restore. After many of you gave me some great advice, I realize it is beyond financial reasoning to do that. In comes my new purchase. A 1974 Opel Manta from Southern California, complete but with no engine.
- strip the car
- sand/grind off the surface rust/sun baking
- fix any minor body blemishes
- prep/sand/prime for paint
- new paint job
With the newly minted frame in order, I'll migrate many of the good parts (seats, steering wheel, gauges, etc.) from my 73 (including the chrome bumpers). I will also remove the enginge from the 73, strip it down, rebuild it and install.
Thoughts / Feedback?
My initial questions are these:
1) What should I expect to pay for a paint job in Canada/Washington State (if there is a big enough cost savings, I have no problem driving it down as I'm right on the border)?
2) How long should it take to get a car back from the paint shop?
3) Any issues you see with my plan?
4) The 74 appears to be an automatic. Is there a reference point you could send me to convert it back to manual? This would be more of an interior thing, as I don't have an automatic transmission, just the gear selector inside the car
5) Any tips you can give me that will help speed things along?