DCOE intake,exhaust & maintenance advice
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCOE intake,exhaust & maintenance advice

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads

QuestionDCOE intake,exhaust & maintenance advice

I'm currently trying to get my 71GT running smoothly. Got some of it torn apart right now and need some advice on some parts before putting it back together.

History: I bought the car about 2 years ago in Longview, Wa. It was running fine then. I put it in storage for awhile; about a year. It stayed there while I moved from Atlanta to Portland. Then it sat covered on the street for awhile as well. I drove it every once in awhile around the block. I think the previous owner(s) put an Isky cam in it. Not sure though. It currently has a Weber DCOE40 and a Pace Setter intake. I'm not sure what the exhaust manifold is(Sprint?). I just bought a Compu-Fire kit and plan on putting that on in substitute of a Mallory coil & points on the Bosch. The fuel pump has been replaced with an electric pump by the previous owner(not sure what brand).

The Weber has a Ramflo air filter and air tubing. I think the tubing was custom made. I'm think of getting rid of that part. It seems like it would hinder performance of the carb. If you look at pictures of it (link below), you'll see what I mean. I believe the heater wall in the car was modified/cut at some time. It feels like there is plastic panel and some bondo in there. Even with that mod done it is really tight with the Ramflo. I'm thinking of just mounting it on the carb without the pipes or switching to a regular weber air filter. I might have to do some more cutting. So some advice on that would be nice.

Also, what does everyone think of the Pacesetter intake? Does it flow well? It looks a little rough inside. I was thinking of polishing or smoothing it out in there. Good idea? You can see from the pics that the previous installer had to ground out part of the intake to make the bolt fit. It's still a good bit of work to install/remove bolts (flexbit helps). I have the vibration-proof plastic w/O-ring spacers as well.

I am thinking of getting the new exhaust manifold from OGTS. Has anyone got info on it? They said it is "in production", so I don't know if there is a wait or if anyone has used one yet. I'm not sure what my exhaust is, I guess a Sprint manifold. It's getting pretty rusty and has a weird weld at the bottom(see pic). I think it would be best to replace. Thoughts?...

I posted pics of my distributor as well. If anyone sees anything like abnormal wear or anything else noticeable, please chime in.

So right now, I'm doing the dist., ignition, cleaning carb and replacing parts, replacing lines/hoses, assessing intake and assessing replacement of exhaust.

Let me know your thoughts.

Pics are in a gallery format at 71OpelGT

( if the link doesn't work - 71OpelGT)

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, why did you move from Atlanta? We have a rather large group of Opelers here and one member is a 30 + year GM master tech and hot rodder at heart. Just kidding, we do have a great group here. Second, you do have a sprint manifold, and I don't know what weld you're talking about, but, one edge is broken off. Look at the corner bolt/screw in your picture. Your heater box looks like it's supposed to, meaning, no one has cut on it, looks stock. As for the intake, if it's like the Pacesetter headers, no wonder there had to be "adjustments" made to get it to fit, you had to do the same to the headers. Gil (OGTS) is having new headers made, and he's getting HEDMAN to make them, so we're talking better quality.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that GT, or at least I saw it at the Tacoma gathering back in 2004. It belonged to Walter and Mary Lawson (aka MawandPawOpel) IIRC, and it had the front "nostrils" closed in and the most interesting bit of piping to the SSD (Single Side Draft) Weber I had ever seen.

I agree with Gene, the heater box has not been modified. I believe that the Pacesetter isn't a particularly good example of a SSD manifold, and with that convoluted piping (as shown here Paw_Opel-2 - Opel Photo Gallery) it just HAD to be a pretty restricted set up. However, unless you find a pretty thin intake filter, you will have to hack the heater box and heater to make it fit. Have a search around to find the SSD photos posted by Otto (aka tekenaar) for his solution to this problem.

And yes, that is a Sprint manifold. Nothing wrong there, so I would just keep using it.

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pdxopel View Post
    I'm currently trying to get my 71GT running smoothly. Got some of it torn apart right now and need some advice on some parts before putting it back together.

History: I bought the car about 2 years ago in Longview, Wa. It was running fine then. I put it in storage for awhile; about a year. It stayed there while I moved from Atlanta to Portland. Then it sat covered on the street for awhile as well.
    Hmmm - if it was running fine then it is something to do with the time it has sat idle in the damp. Weber carbs (well all carbs!) don't like any water in them while sitting for a length of time - and there is always some little bit of water somewhere!

The water corrodes the carb body - particularly in the small internal passages and around the emulsion tubes. So the carb can do with a good clean out.

Also the fuel tank suffers a similar fate and needs to be well cleaned after standing. Make sure the fuel filters are replaced - pay special attention to the one inside the carb fuel inlet (if there is one there).

The Pacesetter SSD/Weber is not as good as the Steinmetz one ... but is lots better than a standard inlet with a Solex! The PaceStetter lacks a balance between the two sides and the consecutive 'sucks' from cyl 3&4 and 2&1 means that one of each of these pairs runs leaner than the other - so it has to be 'fattened' up which makes the other of the pair a bit rich. Nothing much can be done about that as it is just a function of the basic manifold design.

Since the motor on the street works mostly between 2,500 and 5,000 revs 'restriction' on the inlet side is not a great issue. Also, it is better to leave the internal passages rough to help fuel suspension at the lower flow rates seen during most street driving. For WOT/Drag Racing smooth passages as big as possible may be OK ... but on the street the lower rev ranges work better with the passages as they are.

Distributor - check the end play on the shaft and shim it a bit if there is more than about 0.020" of up and down slop. Check the bushes to make sure that radial play is also snug and not worn too much.

HTH
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJIM View Post
    Hmmm - if it was running fine then it is something to do with the time it has sat idle in the damp. Weber carbs (well all carbs!) don't like any water in them while sitting for a length of time - and there is always some little bit of water somewhere!

The water corrodes the carb body - particularly in the small internal passages and around the emulsion tubes. So the carb can do with a good clean out....

Also the fuel tank suffers a similar fate and needs to be well cleaned after standing. Make sure the fuel filters are replaced - pay special attention to the one inside the carb fuel inlet (if there is one there)....

Distributor - check the end play on the shaft and shim it a bit if there is more than about 0.020" of up and down slop. Check the bushes to make sure that radial play is also snug and not worn too much....

HTH
    What is the best process to measure the slop on the dist? Use a caliper or feeler gauges? It does have a little play. How to measure it and what kind of shim or gasket(and where to put it) is something I need to know.

Is OGTS or anyone else making a SSD or DSD intake. Anyone still actively modding the Canons on here?

The car was in a covered/sealed 10x15 for most of the time. So not outside. I do probably need to flush the fuel system. The filter on the carb looks fine. It also has an inline. I think I need a better electric fuel pump. Any suggestions on that would be nice as well.

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    I know that GT, or at least I saw it at the Tacoma gathering back in 2004. It belonged to Walter and Mary Lawson (aka MawandPawOpel) IIRC, and it had the front "nostrils" closed in and the most interesting bit of piping to the SSD (Single Side Draft) Weber I had ever seen.

HTH
    I bought it from Keenan in Longview. That's all I know. Also, when I say it ran fine, I mean I hit the accelerator and it moved. It seemed like it drove OK, but I had a lot going on at the time and didn't go in depth. The timing has gone bad off on it. Which brought me around to getting the Compufire. It's sitting TDC on 1 right now. I decided to go ahead and do more and make sure everything running smooth. I need it for a daily driver. My normal DD(Jeep Cherokee) may eat it soon and I need a backup.

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    First off, why did you move from Atlanta?

...and I don't know what weld you're talking about, but, one edge is broken off. Look at the corner bolt/screw in your picture....

....he's getting HEDMAN to make them, so we're talking better quality.
    Left ATL for various reasons. Never wanted to be there to begin with. The city went to crap during/after the Olympics. It was all downhill after 95. Got tired of the constant battle between city blacks and suburb whites. The corrupt utilities and businesses subsidized by gov. The constant sprawl and traffic. The pollution to waterways. HUMIDITY. BIG ASS COCKROACHES. Dazy-cut subdivisions installations. The fall out from the Ray Lewis shootings. The constant assault on liquor laws. Freaknick. Krunk-tards. Religious zealots. On and on... (sorry, but I'm glad to be out. Everyone I knew left before I did. I had many a bad times there.)

That broken edge actually has a bead on it on the edge, It may be hard to see not zoomed in. I'm willing to bet that whole area there leaks like a sieve.

Who his HEDMAN? I hope it's nice. It looks well made in the catalog.

baz
    boomerang opeler My location baz's Avatar
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    is this the same gas in it as when you stored it 2 years ago?

if so drain it and bin it , modern gas is a petro chemical cocktail that does not last long compared to old style gas that was much more robust ,

clean fresh gas should help clear up a lot of the problems hopefully
    Copyright © 2003-2012 barry williams
    All Rights Reserved

B.O.O.B. founding member

Downloads
    Uploads
    what is the best process to measure the slop on the dist? Use a caliper or feeler gauges? It does have a little play. How to measure it and what kind of shim or gasket(and where to put it) is something i need to know.

Is ogts or anyone else making a ssd or dsd intake. Anyone still actively modding the canons on here?

The car was in a covered/sealed 10x15 for most of the time. So not outside. I do probably need to flush the fuel system. The filter on the carb looks fine. It also has an inline. I think i need a better electric fuel pump. Any suggestions on that would be nice as well.
    feeler gauges are the easiest.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 02-10-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: feeler gauges is?
    TMK

'72 Opel GT (Sara) My location newman27's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Left ATL for various reasons. Never wanted to be there to begin with. The city went to crap during/after the Olympics. It was all downhill after 95. Got tired of the constant battle between city blacks and suburb whites. The corrupt utilities and businesses subsidized by gov. The constant sprawl and traffic. The pollution to waterways. HUMIDITY. BIG ASS COCKROACHES. Dazy-cut subdivisions installations. The fall out from the Ray Lewis shootings. The constant assault on liquor laws. Freaknick. Krunk-tards. Religious zealots. On and on... (sorry, but I'm glad to be out. Everyone I knew left before I did. I had many a bad times there.)

That broken edge actually has a bead on it on the edge, It may be hard to see not zoomed in. I'm willing to bet that whole area there leaks like a sieve.

Who his HEDMAN? I hope it's nice. It looks well made in the catalog.
    Hey now, we got rid of Freaknik OK...and the roaches leave you alone as long as you don't feed them...
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, Custom CAI, Sprint Manifold,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Other Cars:
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT (Panther Black) "Jet"
    '06 Pontiac Solstice (Envious Green) "Mina"
    '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS (Black Onyx) "Raven"

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I noticed in your pictures that there is a wing nut on the hood release cable. The original setup uses double nuts that lock against each other and the bottom one has a rounded surface to fit into the hollow spot in the release lever. One way or the other I would replace what is there with something that can not vibrate off, getting the hood open if that wing nut falls off is not too much fun.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need a better electric fuel pump. Any suggestions on that would be nice as well.
    Carter makes a good universal pump available in both 8psi and 6psi max output pressure. Summit Racing has them the top two on this page are the ones I am referring to.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Trouble Maker My location Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    INSUGNINGSRR till trimfrgasare Weber, Dellorto, Solex frn MISAB

Here is one other option for the SSD intake. I have seen something like 2 other different designs. They come up on ebay every once and a while.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Here is one other option for the SSD intake.
    That's the one a friend of mine ran on his Ascona A 1900SR, 40 Solex from a VW K70 junker, 2.0 head that he ported himself, skimmed it, used an old Piper camshaft I had lying around and a 2" exhaust, ended up with a reliable 120-25hp for next-to-nothing money. Plug readings looked good for fuel distribution but we didn't have too much experience
    Last edited by tekenaar; 02-07-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: for next to money
    "I hate RallyBob"

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post

I agree with Gene, the heater box has not been modified. I believe that the Pacesetter isn't a particularly good example of a SSD manifold, and with that convoluted piping (as shown here Paw_Opel-2 - Opel Photo Gallery) it just HAD to be a pretty restricted set up. However, unless you find a pretty thin intake filter, you will have to hack the heater box and heater to make it fit. Have a search around to find the SSD photos posted by Otto (aka tekenaar) for his solution to this problem.

And yes, that is a Sprint manifold. Nothing wrong there, so I would just keep using it.

HTH
    . . . yeah, and that metal fuel filter in that pic right next to the 'sprint' exhaust manifold doesn't particularly help the already restricted air intake either, IMO! The problem with an SSD in a GT without any heater box mods is the extremely limited mounting area next to the slanted edge. You're very limited feeding intake air to the rear barrel of the SSD carb, even using the narrowest SSD intake!

Just search 'ssd gt' here and you'll find my posts with pics of my solutions to this problem . . . without heater box mods, though I'm using a Steinmetz intake, one of the narrowest available. Spent considerable time designing my 'cold air intake' for it too . . . am an admitted 'cold air intake' proponent!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Too high pump pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    Carter makes a good universal pump available in both 8psi and 6psi max output pressure. Summit Racing has them the top two on this page are the ones I am referring to.
    . . . uh, Solex, Weber and Dell'Orto carbs actually prefer ~3.5 PSI MAX! typically, but love volume (flow)! Search 'carter e-pump' here and you'll find recommendations on the right 'carb' e-pump, too.

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Here is one other option for the SSD intake. I have seen something like 2 other different designs. They come up on ebay every once and a while.
    What about the brake booster vacuum? I don't see a port on a few. The pic is kinda crappy, so hard to tell.

Will the ones for the Weber 45 work with the 40? Are all the bolt patterns under the Opel section intakes the same as well as port alignment? Is that currency Krona?

Anyone on here actually running one of these right now? Good success?

Real Name
    Tox
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    I noticed in your pictures that there is a wing nut on the hood release cable. The original setup uses double nuts that lock against each other and the bottom one has a rounded surface to fit into the hollow spot in the release lever. One way or the other I would replace what is there with something that can not vibrate off, getting the hood open if that wing nut falls off is not too much fun.
    Thanks, I'll take a look and fix it.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What about the brake booster vacuum? I don't see a port on a few. The pic is kinda crappy, so hard to tell.
    The one my friend used had a connector for brake booster, as did the DSD MISAB setup I used, I just chose not to use it

Will the ones for the Weber 45 work with the 40?
    45's and 40's have the same bolt pattern unless I'm mistaken

Are all the bolt patterns under the Opel section intakes the same as well as port alignment?
    5-5326 and 5-5330 are for the old CIH engine, does not work with the raised ports in the 2.2 and 2.4 heads though

Is that currency Krona?
    Yup, exchange rate is about 8:1 these days
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

ArrowSame flange bolt-pattern for all 40 to 55 SD carbs

Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    The one my friend used had a connector for brake booster, as did the DSD MISAB setup I used, I just chose not to use it

45's and 40's have the same bolt pattern, unless I'm mistaken

5-5326 and 5-5330 are for the old CIH engine, does not work with the raised ports in the 2.2 and 2.4 heads though

Yup, exchange rate is about 8:1 these days
    . . . correct, all 38-55mm Weber DCOx, Dell'Orto DHLA, Solex DDH and Asian "knock-off" SD carbs use the same manifold flange mounting template/bolt pattern . . . the only difference is in the size of the carb's throttle bores, which must be matched to the specific manifold used, of course . . . i.e. don't use a 45mm carb on a 40mm manifold, reverse is OK though.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 02-10-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information