Opel GT Turbo?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Opel GT Turbo?

bsi
    Opeler bsi is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT Turbo?

Hello from finland!
    I have long time project going on and i was wondering if any one has build GT with turbo? I know theres one in the performance site, but i would like to see more solutions.
    These cars are rare here but you have them almost in every streetcorner

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler My location OpelGT-de is on a distinguished road OpelGT-de's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Hello from finland!
    I have long time project going on and i was wondering if any one has build GT with turbo? I know theres one in the performance site, but i would like to see more solutions.
    These cars are rare here but you have them almost in every streetcorner
    There was an aftermarket Turbo Kit available from "Steinmetz", but the demand was VERY poor

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for a more custom build system. I have already parts for the engine and i'm interested about the exhaust manifold and intercooler tubing. I have friend who makes the manifold for me but the space is so narrow and i was wondering what kind of solutions everybody else have made?
    I'm planning to get +400hp out of this engine.

Opelnut opelnut_1 is on a distinguished road opelnut_1's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steinmetz Turbo opel gt

Do you have more photos of this setup an/ or more info (catalog of all parts etc)
    am very curious about this setup

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OpelGT-de View Post
    There was an aftermarket Turbo Kit available from "Steinmetz", but the demand was VERY poor

My Collection:
    69 Opel GT (Mystery Car)
    70 Opel Gt (First car)
    72 Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    87 Volvo 240 (Daily Driver for now)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Opel Intern My location Redskinsjbs is on a distinguished road Redskinsjbs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jay
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for a more custom build system. I have already parts for the engine and i'm interested about the exhaust manifold and intercooler tubing. I have friend who makes the manifold for me but the space is so narrow and i was wondering what kind of solutions everybody else have made?
    Whew! You have to let me know if that happens. A side flow 2 valve per cylinder head (the stock GT head) doesn't seem to me like it would be able to make that much HP without a HUGE amount of boost pressure. And even then, I'm not sure that you would be able to get enough flow out of the exhaust.

However, by no means am I discouraging you! I would absolutely LOVE to see an Opel engine make 400hp.

Do you have any more specs as far as what you will be doing with the engine?

Thanks

Jay
    J Swift Sincerely

Flickr photos

Videos

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mahle pistons with modification, eagle connection rods, crane roller rockers, high pressure oilpump, oil injection to the pistons, maybe holset hx40 i dont know yet, etc, etc. The pressure will be close to 2,0bar.

I only have the parts and haven't got it even installed yet. Maybe in month i will get the body in paint and start to build to suspension and everything else so engine isn't very high in my to do list

Check this link. It's easy to get these kind of hp out off CIH engine.

Project: 400hp
    Last edited by bsi; 09-22-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, the solution will be to 'sweep' the turbo manifold forward, and put the turbo in front of the engine. The original radiator panel will be removed, and the brake master cylinder will be relocated (twin M/C pedal box). Radiator will be alloy 'Scirocco' style moved forward into the front of the car at an angle (intercooler in front of that). This way, there is plenty of room for EFI manifold, and turbo is not between the framerails and the block (too much heat, not enough flow from tight bends). I think that for best flow, the intake manifold needs to be custom-made, but I agree....400+ hp is easy with the proper parts. I will use a Borg-Warner extended-tip turbo (S259 divided inlet).
    magneto likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That must be the only way to go if i dont go up. A bit trough the bonnet and turbo gets cooling at the same time. Pedal box and radiator is a great idea! I was going to move the radiator to front but the angle position didn't cross my mind. Air collector or what do you call it, is going to be modified from injection manifold and it goes over the engine for better air spread.

I hope you understand what i'm meaning. My english isn't so good...

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Air collector or what do you call it, is going to be modified from injection manifold and it goes over the engine for better air spread.

I hope you understand what i'm meaning. My english isn't so good...
    I think I know what you mean. Here's another possible intake manifold solution too...I originally wasn't going to post these here, but it seems relevant to the subject matter (sorry Dan!).
    Attached Images
    My Flickr photos.

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that unmodified engine bay or did you have to cut more room?

Opeler My location OpelGT-de is on a distinguished road OpelGT-de's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here is a video of a Manta with 400+ hp

Opel CIH 2.0L 8valve 404,7hk/480Nm RWP/6000rpm - Car Videos on StreetFire

I built a couple of CIH Turbo engines in the late 80s/early 90s.
    At this time before internet and www it was very hard to share informations and experiences with other "wrenches" .
    So I followed the principle "try, pray and hope"
    I cant remember all the details but for my last enigine I used a modified 2300 "Diesel" engine block,modified 2400cc gas-head, air intercooler from a BWM "Diesel" , steel rods, KKK turbo supercharger etc...

Roller test bench showed 320 hp and after some airflow improvements 355hp.

This engine runs very stable, 20k miles in my friends Ascona w/o any problems..

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that unmodified engine bay or did you have to cut more room?
    Stock engine bay, no cutting.
    My Flickr photos.

Opel Intern My location Redskinsjbs is on a distinguished road Redskinsjbs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jay
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What sort of boost pressures are required to achieve 400 hp in an Opel Engine?

I believe that the Mitsubishi FQ400 usually sits around 11 psi, but can spike to 19psi at times. I use this model because it is a 2 liter 400hp car. I don't know how similar its stroke/bore ratio is to that of a CIH engine, but you can't argue with 200hp/liter!
    J Swift Sincerely

Flickr photos

Videos

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskinsjbs View Post
    What sort of boost pressures are required to achieve 400 hp in an Opel Engine?
    That totally depends on the size of the turbo, and the specs of the head and camshaft. The turbo I am getting for my father's car should make +/- 400 whp @ 20 psi. The camshaft is .529" lift, 254 @ .050" duration, and with a 115 lobe separation angle. The head flows enough air for 250 hp without a turbo.
    My Flickr photos.

Registered User My location wankelgt is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Can I get an Apology from the uber tater?
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mahle pistons with modification, eagle connection rods, crane roller rockers, high pressure oilpump, oil injection to the pistons, maybe holset hx40 i dont know yet, etc, etc. The pressure will be close to 2,0bar.

Project: 400hp
    Not sure what hx40 setup your going with, but I'm a diesel mechanic, and have used that turbo a time or 2. At what rpm are you looking for the turbo to spool? If you need a turbo that big you should also look at the he351. I've only every broken one of those shafts, and it was my fault for pushing the turbo so far out of its map. Jesse

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    I think I know what you mean. Here's another possible intake manifold solution too...I originally wasn't going to post these here, but it seems relevant to the subject matter (sorry Dan!).
    How did you solve the heating issue?

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wankelgt View Post
    Not sure what hx40 setup your going with, but I'm a diesel mechanic, and have used that turbo a time or 2. At what rpm are you looking for the turbo to spool? If you need a turbo that big you should also look at the he351. I've only every broken one of those shafts, and it was my fault for pushing the turbo so far out of its map. Jesse
    I'm not an expert with turbochargers. Man who sold me those parts suggested that turbo. He has build few engines with holset hx40 and said it would be "best" one for this engine. The price is with in my range and availability is good. It's not best one for a street because turbo lag but i'm willing to compramise

Registered User My location wankelgt is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Can I get an Apology from the uber tater?
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have just thought that the hx40, even with a small housing would be extremely laggy on a 1.9 gas engine. Turbo's on gas engines are a little out of my zone but thats a descent size turbo. When it did lite, hang on though lol. I have a holset hc1 laying around, and its a tad smaller and you can get some pretty small exhaust housings for those, but its non gated. Jesse
    Last edited by wankelgt; 09-23-2010 at 01:57 AM.

bsi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There will be turbo lag if you want that kind of power. It's like mitsubishi fq400, no torque at low rev, but thats why you have gear stick
    Maybe i will use turbo and supercharger like hilmersson did. No turbo lag! (ok it's volvo engine but still)
    Hilmersson Racing

Just an old fart My location wrench459 will become famous soon enough wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    For me, the solution will be to 'sweep' the turbo manifold forward, and put the turbo in front of the engine.
    Hee Hee yeah thats the ticket. Might even go into the high pressure area of the grill.
    That must be the only way to go if i dont go up. A bit trough the bonnet and turbo gets cooling at the same time. Pedal box and radiator is a great idea! I was going to move the radiator to front but the angle position didn't cross my mind. Air collector or what do you call it, is going to be modified from injection manifold and it goes over the engine for better air spread.
    I also like the idea of an angled radiator..better dissipation of the heat, but it comes with a cost..more room needed.
    Turbo lag well you'll just need to spin it up.

turbo lag.jpg
    Last edited by wrench459; 09-23-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Black Horse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information