Opel GT Forum banner

Shirt Size

Octopelfest 2010

24K views 225 replies 32 participants last post by  waltsacura 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have not been on this site in a long time and a lot has changed in my absence. I think I have figured out how to post a new thread, so here goes.

We will be hosting Octopelfest 2010 at our home on the weekend of October 8-10 and we are looking forward to seeing everyone and having the usual awesome time. There are no personal invitations to this event as it is open to all who wish to attend. Please post your thoughts on the date, food and beverage ideas, cruise or no cruise, lodging needs and anything else that floats through your mind.

We were going to hold the event on the weekend of October 1-3, but we became aware of a scheduling conflict with a fellow Opeler's meet, so we pushed it back a week. Does this work for all who are interested in attending?

We will provide the main dishes and attendees are welcome to bring along side dishes and deserts if they wish. We will also supply an ample amount of beverages to satisfy even the heartiest of thirsts. Personal favorites are also brought along by brewed beverage aficionados and this is one of our favorite parts of the event. It gives everyone an opportunity to try beers they have never experienced before.

As usual, we will welcome those who would prefer not to spend money on a hotel to stay here in our home. We will accomodate as many as possible inside and will offer camping spots in our back yard. We can supply a couple of tents along with cots and sleeping bags to those who don't possess camping paraphernalia or those who don't want to pack and transport theirs. I know things are really rough for a lot of people right now and I hope this encourages people to join us who otherwise would not due to lodging costs.

For anyone who has not attended an Octopelfest meet in the past, I can assure you it is a time filled with friendship, fun, food, relaxation and inebriation. Come and join the festivities.

:beerchug:,

Duane

See less See more
#164 · (Edited)
I am home! Finally! I actually arrived around 9:00, but I had a dinner party that I was late to attending (some friends of mine got engaged . . . Woo Woo!)

Thank you Duane and Lynn (or is it Lyn ?) for putting on such a great event. Although I hear that it is the norm, for a first timer this weekend was incredible. The Garage Mahal is quite epic, but the cruise around the Pennsylvania country takes the cake as the best part of the weekend. So again, thank you very much for your hospitality and for allowing all of us to come by an upset the normal routine.

NOTICE: No Opels were permanently damaged during the duration of this trip

Leaving around 3:45, I had a flawless drive with Dave to New Jersey and a very smooth drive out of NJ... until I neared to border. It was then that I hit the first of many, many many traffic jams.

I poked my way along, finally coming in sight of Baltimore where I hit my last construction zone-traffic jam. I slow to the 10mph which is the accepted speed when orange cones line the road; even though there are no workers and the volume of traffic is actually quite light.

A short while in to the latest of my jams, the bass in my stereo all of a sudden goes berserk. Or at least that is what I thought initially. I turn the stereo off and realize immediately that I have a HUGE whole in my exhaust.

I pull over in to part of the orange cone corridor and hop out of the car to assess the damage. As I do so, a MD state trooper pulls out about 10 cars behind me and drives up to see what in the world I am doing.

When he asked 'How can I help?', I simply said "Got an extra set of hand cuffs?"
(Why am I such a smart-ass all of the time?)

This visibly made him a little uneasy, to which I replied "Oh no!, My exhaust just disintegrated and I need some wire or something to strap it back to the car so that I can get home.

This is my favorite part. The trooper walks back to his car, pops the trunk and chucks me a flare. He says 'That should do', hops back in his car and drives off down the orange corridor.

The flare had a bent wire stand, which I took off the flare and used to tie the broken piece of the exhaust back to the car.

I then got back in the car, got back in line in the jam and eventually hooned my impromptu straight-pipe exhaust all the way to the dinner party!

http://www.vimeo.com/15726155

#166 ·
I want to thank everybody who was there. The hosts were great!! I got there late Sat. night, but I made up for it by eating many of the famous Roast Beef Sandwiches. Next year, I think we need more firewood:sigh: Left Sat. night at about 2:15 AM and pulled into my house at about 3:00 AM.

It was great seeing everyone and hopefully next year, I can make it to the "Opel Le Mons" ride.

Great pictures!!

#167 ·
Project list gone bad

Bob was eager to put together those rims but he declared that he is doing the best job when drunk. Later he admitted that he had passed that point, so the whole thing was delayed.

That was a breaking point and eye opener for Gregg who realized that his project list will take a lifetime for Bob to finish. So, he accepted that it is more a wish list and philosophically turned to the art of music, composing and performing tunes on cold air intake that Bob brought. Unfortunately, the audience was not appreciative and the dog was terrified.

Attachments

#168 ·
BTW Duane, next year you should charge for hellrides in your Manta...you'd pay for all expenses very quickly I think!

Nice job as usual, that car really moves out. I have no idea how fast we were going up that hill, but the acceleration was unrelenting.:burnout:

#176 ·
The day I have to charge for anything at Octopelfest wil be the day we quit having it. I'm not even sure where that pizza money box came from.

Thank you for the compliment Bob, but that engine, and car for that matter, is more your doing than mine. I just bolt stuff together.

Duane

#172 ·
really enjoyed the pictures and Jays video in the tunnel was way cool...with echo off the walls.Gawd..I wish I was driving there and back.

#175 ·
Sorry for the delayed post, but I had a bit of recovery to deal with. Anyone who was present understands exactly what I'm talking about. On that subject, I appreciate everyone being gracious enough to not capitalize on the opportunity to remind me how dumb I am. I'm sure there are photos documenting it.

This year's Octopelfest was awesome!, I just wish I could remember more of it. First of all, the weather could not have possibly been any better for the entire event. We had a good turnout of friends on Friday and enjoyed eachothers company until about 3:00am. Lynn and I missed a couple hours of Friday's fun, but it was for a good reason. A gentleman from Hemmings Sports and Exotics arrived to do a photo shoot and feature story on Lynn's Kadett wagon so we were out doing moving and static photos in the surrounding area. Lynn was very excited and we knew we wouldn't get another opportunity if we turned it down, so we chose to skip away and hoped that everyone would understand.

Saturday began with a yummy full course breakfast and more friends arriving throughout the morning. By early afternoon, everyone was on site and we organized for our event photos to be taken by Paul. This consisted of group friend shots, group car shots and individual shots. Paul takes beautiful photos and I am excited to see them myself. After some munching, we gathered for our scenic cruise around the area. We traveled across several covered bridges, along some great scenic roads, visited a local grass strip airport and drove along the river before looping back to the house. Paul and Shelby took a lot of photos of all of us crossing a covered bridge, gathered along a creek and at the airport with cool vintage planes. Upon our return home, we enjoyed an abundance of incredible food and beverages, perhaps too many beverages for some :ugh:. I'd like to tell you all about the fun of Saturday evening, but I can't as I really have no recollection of any of it. I'll let others fill in what I missed.

Sunday began with another big breakfast with pancakes as our featured menu item courtesy of Jay. We hung out most of the day and Paul did some great aerial photos from a highlift platform courtesy of Evan. Sunday evening brought the event to a wind down and Tom and Dennis decided to stay with us another evening before heading for home on Monday.

Some things that are very important to us to acknowledge:

We want to thank everyone for making the trip, sharing their time with us and bringing goodies for all to enjoy.

A very special thank you to Tom for being so generous and offering to bring our much missed little girl home for an Octopelfest visit and taking her back to college afterward including staying an extra day to do so. You're awesome!

A special thank you to Dennis for watching Erin for us on Friday so we could make the Hemmings thing happen. Also for being the perfect houseguest and for providing "special services" on Saturday evening. You went above and beyond my friend.

A huge thank you to Dave and Dennis for providing special event shirts to mark this year's gathering. Great job!

Another huge thank you to Paul for spending most of his time with a camera stuck to his eye and making artful photos available to everyone.

A big thank you to Evan for providing the aerial lift so Paul could get some cool shots.

A big thank you to Bob and Gregg for contributing yet again to my many projects. It is genuinely appreciated.

An apology to P.J. for not getting to cook your bratwursts on Saturday. I am very sorry. We did manage to cook them on Sunday and they were delicious.

I know this sounds like a repeat from last year, but you all are the best group of friends we could ever ask for. You are all so generous, kind, caring and fun. There is no one we would rather spend our time with than all of you. Being together as a group makes the nastiness of the world disappear if only for a little while. We are grateful for your friendship.

Thanks again for another year of great memories,

Duane, Lynn, Shelby & Erin

#177 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new to all this opel-ness, but I'll do my best to write my first post. I want to thank you all for making this year's Octopelfest a great one and I'm so thankful to have been able to make it home for it. Thank you so much Tom for generously taking me home and bringing me back to Clarion, it was increadibly kind of you. To everyone who attended, I had a great time with all of you and am still smilimg about the entire weekend! It was great seeing you all and I'm so glad to have you all in my life!

Shelby

#178 · (Edited by Moderator)
We just finished counting the empties before taking them out for the recycler. Final count:

161 empty beer bottles/cans
1 empty mini keg
1 empty vodka bottle
2 empty 1.5 liter liqueor bottles
4 empty wine bottles
unknown number of empty growlers (empties mia)

As for food:

20 pounds of roast beef
2 gallons of au jus
5 pounds of provolone cheese
2 pounds of horse radish
100 sandwich rolls
15 pounds of mashed potatoes
a cooler full of bratwurst
7 pizzas
3 pounds of bacon
4 pounds of pork roll
3 dozen eggs
3 loaves of bread
2 pounds of coffee
1 crockpot of chicken corn chili
many pounds of pasta salad
spicey chicken wing dip
several dozen donuts and muffins
misc. pastries, cakes and brownies
gobs of pancake batter
countless snacks
and more....

That's the makin's for a heck of a party! Thanks everyone!!!

Duane

#181 ·
We just finished counting the empties before taking them out for the recycler. Final count:

161 empty beer bottles/cans
1 empty mini keg
1 empty vodka bottle
2 empty 1.5 liter liqueor bottles
4 empty wine bottles
unknown number of empty growlers (empties mia)

As for food:

20 pounds of roast beef
2 gallons of au jus
5 pounds of provolone cheese
2 pounds of horse radish
100 sandwich rolls
15 pounds of mashed potatoes
a cooler full of bratwurst
7 pizzas
3 pounds of bacon
4 pounds of pork roll
3 dozen eggs
3 loaves of bread
2 pounds of coffee
1 crockpot of chicken corn chili
many pounds of pasta salad
spicey chicken wing dip
several dozen donuts and muffins
misc. pastries, cakes and brownies
gobs of PANKAKE batter
countless snacks
and more....

That's the makin's for a heck of a party! Thanks everyone!!!

Duane
Hey! Don't you insult the pancakes like that!

#184 ·
Just a quick note to say thank you all for the great time! It's great to hang out with a bunch of real car people, a site unfortunately no longer found in my Subaru brethern (aka the new honda crowd). I still have the Opel Blitz on my Subopel too.

I have spent about 10 hours going through the photos so far and reliving the great times, and they are uploading as I write this. I plan to do more with the photos, but I want you all to see them sooner rather than later.

Thank you goes out to Shelby, for helping me with the photos and helping me lug all my gear around. Evan, I don't know if you are on here, but thanks for the lift... that thing is awesome.

I apologize for not warning several of you about the potency of my home-brew Orange-cello and buddah's hand-cello, it's some strong stuff. Even though Duane went overboard on de-fence, at least he knows it's strong enough to hold a person up for a bit :Flush:

pics to come at some point tomorrow.

#188 ·
I apologize for not warning several of you about the potency of my home-brew Orange-cello and buddah's hand-cello, it's some strong stuff. Even though Duane went overboard on de-fence, at least he knows it's strong enough to hold a person up for a bit :Flush:
Duane should have stuck to beer, and just poured that moonshine of yours into the gas tank of his racecar!

Actually it was really good stuff, but I wisely stopped at three shots and lived to talk about it (and remember the weekend). Duane...not so much!:yup:

#185 ·
What OctOpelFest Meant To Me

Some of you observed the huge smile I had on my face after returning to the Foley's home after the OctOpelFest cruise. AND WHAT A ROAD CRUISE IT WAS!!!!!!! .... well, I sent a pm to a few folks who helped and encourage me to keep pushing forward to complete my replacement engine transfer. I'd like to share this with you.

Re: Replacement Motor Road Test

Quote Originally Posted by MICAH1
Hey everyone, the weekend Octopelfest was the perfect road test, with a combo of three hour plus continuous high speed interstate driving, and up to two hours back road robust rally style driving for my motor to show flaws, or weak indicators. I gotta say, when we returned to the Foley home, all the car showed was a coolant leak from the heater hose around the thermostat clamp. I did push the car, on straight-a-ways, and at sharp turns at speed since I had installed sway bars Friday morning prior to leaving for Pennsylvania.

Harold, I am pretty sure that I did reach speeds (85mph plus) where the rear wing was very beneficial at holding the back end of the car to the surface, with the front wrap OGTS spoiler doing its job to balance it all out. Got a lot of thumbs up from BMW's. Vett's, Porsche, and folks at backups, and rest stops.

WestCoast, While on the cruise, I did briefly think of you and your run with the Morgan group, however the thought of just accelerating past any car in front on those tight country road was a hell no, no!! But when it was over, and I emerge from my GT, I did let out a scream of shear joy, and enlightenment!!:yup::yup:

Dean, I met Jay at his home Friday morning and decided to play the role of the glider and be pulled by the nose into flight, but not be dropped lose. Jay, had the GPS so I would drive blind (no directions) by following his car on non interstate roads, to avoid tolls entirely into Pennsylvania and Octopelfest . Not driving more than fifteen to thirty minute from home with the new motor, I had big concerns of gas leaks, internal engine break-in problems, radiator, water pump you name it. I recalled you starting out to Carlisle after the rebuild of Celeste, and the gas leak that forced you to turn around and return home???

Gene, Your test on this engine was the most important of all. My remote oil filter with your sandwich adapter made all the difference. You see my electric fan did not always turn on and there is no doubt that the extended oil lines, and larger oil filter, and cool Pennsylvania air kept my motor from over heating.......I DO THANK YOU!!!!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

All in all...................................... a very successful run!!!!!

A little history: Three seasons ago just days prior to Carlisle I ruptured my Achilles tendon and was unable to drive to Carlisle, two years ago on the way to Carlisle my motor give out just 10 mile out, and was carried in to the fairgrounds on Harold's trailer, and finally this year just hours before the Friday morning departure, Jay and I just could not get the replacement motor started. OctOpelFest..... my last opportunity to make the last Opel gathering in my area this year was my target. I made it, I enjoyed it, and I am still smiling!!!!!!

#186 ·
Some of you observed the huge smile I had on my face after returning to the Foley's home after the OctOpelFest cruise. AND WHAT A ROAD CRUISE IT WAS!!!!!!! .... well, I sent a pm to a few folks who helped and encourage me to keep pushing forward to complete my replacement engine transfer. I'd like to share this with you.

Re: Replacement Motor Road Test

Quote Originally Posted by MICAH1
Hey everyone, the weekend Octopelfest was the perfect road test, with a combo of three hour plus continuous high speed interstate driving, and up to two hours back road robust rally style driving for my motor to show flaws, or weak indicators. I gotta say, when we returned to the Foley home, all the car showed was a coolant leak from the heater hose around the thermostat clamp. I did push the car, on straight-a-ways, and at sharp turns at speed since I had installed sway bars Friday morning prior to leaving for Pennsylvania.

Harold, I am pretty sure that I did reach speeds (85mph plus) where the rear wing was very beneficial at holding the back end of the car to the surface, with the front wrap OGTS spoiler doing its job to balance it all out. Got a lot of thumbs up from BMW's. Vett's, Porsche, and folks at backups, and rest stops.

WestCoast, While on the cruise, I did briefly think of you and your run with the Morgan group, however the thought of just accelerating past any car in front on those tight country road was a hell no, no!! But when it was over, and I emerge from my GT, I did let out a scream of shear joy, and enlightenment!!:yup::yup:

Dean, I met Jay at his home Friday morning and decided to play the role of the glider and be pulled by the nose into flight, but not be dropped lose. Jay, had the GPS so I would drive blind (no directions) by following his car on non interstate roads, to avoid tolls entirely into Pennsylvania and Octopelfest . Not driving more than fifteen to thirty minute from home with the new motor, I had big concerns of gas leaks, internal engine break-in problems, radiator, water pump you name it. I recalled you starting out to Carlisle after the rebuild of Celeste, and the gas leak that forced you to turn around and return home???

Gene, Your test on this engine was the most important of all. My remote oil filter with your sandwich adapter made all the difference. You see my electric fan did not always turn on and there is no doubt that the extended oil lines, and larger oil filter, and cool Pennsylvania air kept my motor from over heating.......I DO THANK YOU!!!!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

All in all...................................... a very successful run!!!!!

A little history: Three seasons ago just days prior to Carlisle I ruptured my Achilles tendon and was unable to drive to Carlisle, two years ago on the way to Carlisle my motor give out just 10 mile out, and was carried in to the fairgrounds on Harold's trailer, and finally this year just hours before the Friday morning departure, Jay and I just could not get the replacement motor started. OctOpelFest..... my last opportunity to make the last Opel gathering in my area this year was my target. I made it, I enjoyed it, and I am still smiling!!!!!!
Awesome...

#191 ·
Holy Cow!

Wow, Paul. Those were really, REALLY, nice photos you took! Dang, my car doesn't look that good in person! Great clarity and depth of color, plus an artist's eye for a great shot.

How does one acquire the photos for personal use? Do I pay for the pics I want and then they're released to me for downloading?

Thanks to all of you guys who took photos to commemorate the event. Like MICAH, I too, feel that that little get together was one of the highlights of the year.

Maybe next year I'll drink enough where I'll HAVE to stay over night, instead of just a day trip......

#196 ·
Wow, Paul. Those were really, REALLY, nice photos you took! Dang, my car doesn't look that good in person! Great clarity and depth of color, plus an artist's eye for a great shot.

How does one acquire the photos for personal use? Do I pay for the pics I want and then they're released to me for downloading?

Thanks to all of you guys who took photos to commemorate the event. Like MICAH, I too, feel that that little get together was one of the highlights of the year.

Maybe next year I'll drink enough where I'll HAVE to stay over night, instead of just a day trip......
If you want to be able to download the photos, and use them as your own, then a couple bucks gives you the rights to use the photos for your personal use and allows me to keep my website and eventually look at more gear to make next year even better.

#193 · (Edited)
I think Duane said most of it. This group of Opel friends is awesome. Over the weekend I was able to really sit & talk with a few Opelers that I briefly have talked to at Carlisle. It shouldn't have surprised me how truly interesting & down to earth they were. When you attend some of these smaller Opel gatherings, you can talk & get to know someone you may not have even had a chance say hello to at a larger meet. There was about 30 people on Saturday enjoying the festivities, which is actually a pretty large gathering.

I started my journey Friday morning by meeting Vickie & Allen driving their Kadett wagon. We detoured a few miles to pick up Shelby at Clarion U. & began our 5 hour drive to Octopelfest. Arriving at our destination to see the front yard partially filled with Opels. Fridays attendance was as large as some of the earlier Saturday meets. Pizza, beer & other munchies while sitting around the fire & in the garage rounded out the evening.

Saturday started with breakfast & many other Opels filling the front yard. A total of 16 Opels attended the weekend with 12 taking the scenic cruise Duane led us on. Getting back to the house, food & desserts were ready for us. The Foley backyard was turning into a small campsite with tents being set up. Plenty of photos were taken & Dave made some great Octopelfest shirts for the event. Dennis also had T-shirts along with his spectacular assortment of beers that he brings every year. I think more beverages were drank here than at Carlisle this year & by half as many people. The food was excellent Saturday evening with plenty to choose from. The blazing campfire warmed up the night as the temps dropped below 50*.

Sunday morning was breakfast again with pancakes & some farm fresh eggs that Todd's wife Gina had brought. Thanks Gina, I took 2 dozen home with me. Most people were packing up by early afternoon & heading on their way. Dennis & I both stayed for another night. Thanks Dennis for cooking up an excellent dinner. Sunday night was an early well needed bedtime. Dennis headed out after packing his GT with more stuff than he came with & I did the same. Shelby & I started back to western.PA a little before noon & had sunny skies most of the way with a brief rain storm thrown in. She was back at school by 5pm & I was heading south back home. I made the 400 mile trip home on a tank of gas with a couple gallons to spare averaging my normal 32 mpg on the highway.

Thanks again to the Foley family for their hospitality & welcoming everyone into their home.(& garage) Also to Shelby for her pleasant company to & from the event. Most of the 6-8k I put on the GT each year is done solo with the CD player blasting & me singing, often to keep myself awake. Thanks Greg for the drive down to the local Farmer's Market for some fresh healthy food Saturday morning. I'll be emailing you with some info.

What a great way to wind down the Opel season.

~ Tom

Attachments

#194 ·
Oh yeah, and oooey goooey shoo fly pie. It was one of the best shoo fly pies I've ever tasted.

Btw, did anyone leave these items behind? I found them on my drill press table while cleaning up.

Duane

Attachments

#199 ·
All I left on the drill press is pictured below and I managed to get both the wine and the glass home in one way or another. :haha:

Attachments

#195 ·
To hell with inspecting aircraft...I'll be there next year come hell or high water!!
Great pics Paul...
I think we've found ourselves a new Opel pin-up girl....step right up Miss Foley (see pic 294)...would make a great poster for advertising Opel gatherings etc....certainly more photogenic than the rest of us!!
LMAO...I can almost see Duane's brow furrowing.....:p

#197 ·
We did miss you and Lynda this year Robbie. I have a feeling you would really enjoy this event given the selection of beers in the offering. :yup:

Thank you for adding to my anxiety. I'm having a difficult enough time of her being away at college. I will agree though, she does photogragh well.

Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.