Opel GT Forum banner

Epic Southwest Road Trip - June 1-9, 2015

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  m3dragon 
#1 ·
Epic Southwest Road Trip - June 2015

Disclaimer:
---------------------------------------------

This is a pay your own way event. This means even I, the organizer, must pay my own way to attend. Organizing drives is my hobby and I enjoy putting these events on. Also, I pay for the website and store system I use for these events out of my own pocket because it makes sharing information and registering easier on everyone.
---------------------------------------------

Itinerary for the 2015 Epic Drive South West Road Trip: June 1st – 9th 2015

The Epic Road Trip event is a bi-yearly event for owners of European and sports cars, which focuses on the spirit of having an adventure and making friends. Participants from the first Euro epic adventure voted on where the next epic adventure would be, and the South West was the winner.

This will be a nine day road adventure to see the major sights of the South West region. You are welcome to join and/or leave the event at any point if you are not able to make all nine days. Group rates on hotels and selected items have been worked out to cut the cost of the event as much as possible. With what I have planned, I strongly suggest you attend all nine days, as this will be one amazing adventure and it will give you numerous stories to share.

This is a family friendly event, so if you are wondering if it for just the boys or for couples, the answer is NO. However, for those who might want to bring the family pet, the stops will have LIMITED access to see the sights, even if on a leash. Therefore, for this trip, unlike trips in the past, I advise you to book your pet into a spa so they can have their own vacation as well.

For international participants and participants who prefer not to drive their cars that far, I have arranged a group rate on some BMW 328i rental cars from AVIS out of the Las Vegas Airport. The cost is $115 per day or $1040 for all 10 days (9 days of the trip and one day to return to Las Vegas) with unlimited mileage. If you wish to rent a car, once you have registered I will give to the direct number to AVIS to reserve the car.

Register here for the drive:

Deadline to register is April 1, 2015 so I can secure the hotel rooms. My hope is to have 5 of you out there register by January so I can secure the room block for the group.

Planned itinerary of the 9 day road trip.
You can see the full PDF of the planned trip here:

Day 1 – June 1 - Monday
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon Skywalk

Day 2 - June 2 - Tuesday
Grand Canyon

Day 3 - June 3 - Wednesday
Grand Canyon North Rim

Day 4 - June 4 - Thursday
Zion Park

Day 5 - June 5 - Friday
Bryce Canyon

Day 6 - June 6 - Saturday
Petrified Forest
Capitol Reef

Day 7 - June 7 - Sunday
Canyonlands
Arches National Park

Day 8 - June 8 - Monday
Mesa Verde National Park

Day 9 - June 9 - Tuesday
Chaco Culture National Historical Park

Optional Day 10 (for people who want to trek further west) – June 10 - Wednesday
Petrified Forest
Painted Desert
Wigwam Motel (teepee hotel)
Ruins

-----------------------COST FOR THE EVENT-----------------------

On average, I was able to get 10-20% off hotel rooms and 10% off activities. Hotel room costs are based on two people per room. If there will be more than two people per room, please let me know. Also, in some locations, hotels only offer double beds in the rooms, therefore, you will not see other options for these locations when you register.

NOTE: One cost I would recommend you make prior to the trip is the purchase of a National Park One Year Membership. The cost is $80. Each of the 12 National Parks we will visit has a fee of approximately $25. The savings you will get through the Membership is clear.
National Park Annual Pass can be bought here:

Base event cost includes:
$140-Two decals with number, merit badge decals (see below), event insurance, 2-tshirts, PayPal, and shipping.

Hotel Costs:
The cost I was able to secure for 10 nights of hotels is $960.13. As not everyone attending will be attending the entire trip, when you register you can see the rate break down by day for each hotel. All but one of the hotels we will be stopping at includes either a full or continental breakfast. That means the cost for the trip is less than $100 a night plus a meal.

Register here for the drive:

Deadline to Register is April 1, 2015

If you have any questions, please email me directly because for some reason I don’t always get an email when someone replies to the post. Email – norcal.drivers@gmail.com

-----------------------DECALS-----------------------
Decals are 11 inches tall and DO NOT harm the paint of the car. I have been using these decals for overnight drives to make a fun memento of the trip. They are also fun to collect. You can pick your own 1, 2, or 3 digital number combo.

For those who attend the event, I thought it would be fun to earn "achievements," or merit badges for the stops. Below are all the achievements you can earn in decal form. These are meant to be placed on the car as you visit each stop.

See less See more
#2 ·
This post is in response to questions on other forums.

Q. Why are we going in June?
A. A date had to be picked that missed the monsoons, accommodated families, and events out in the world. So first week of June was the best gap to beat the major crowds and the major heat.

Q. It going to be too hot right?
A. We looked at what average temperatures were for the available dates and going in first of June we will be High 70's low 80's on average - http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatolo.../graph/USAZ0088

Q. What is the deadline?
A. February 1st 2015 is the deadline to register for group rates on hotel. This deadline is from the hotels as they need to know if we are really coming or not. After February 1 the deadline to register is March 15th 2015 so things can be mailed out.

Q. What if I miss the group hotel rate deadline?
A. You will be on your own to book a room either at the hotel we are all at or a alternate hotel. It is worth noting that over the winter most of the hotels close as these are seasonal sights so it will take some time to book as well as cost more.

Q. Are the times listed from driving like a hooligan or other?
A. The time listed is the average from google maps and map quest. We use known times so we can factor in stops and anything else we want to do. There will be some drivers sections but we don't leave anyone behind so just drive and enjoy.

Q. Has anyone signed up?
A. Yes, as of this post there are 4 of us paid and ready to go.

#3 ·
This trip sounds great but the Grand Canyon Skywalk is not the best trip to do and rentals are not allowed on the road to the Skywalk area ( It is a open range road and not paved or maintained ) The price to see the Skywalk is high with all it's add'ons jump the price up ( online it was $29 but after parking and Indian reservation fees it was app. $230 for two of us) and if you drive on to Grand Canyon you will have a greater view.
You can not take your camera on the Skywalk ( They will make you pass thru a metal detector ) They will take your photo with their camera ( app. $30 to $100 ) HTH
The rest of the trip sounds great, but I wanted to give you the info. on Skywalk
John

#7 ·
Sounds great, but a bit too great for me. ;)

Keep in mind that few Opels have A/C.

Actually, I visited a number of those places last year.

Make sure you stop, on the yea to Mesa Verde from the south, at the dinosaur footprints exhibit. It's an old (obviously) shallow water site with hundreds of giant chicken-like footprints. Make sure to get the tour by the deaf Indian lady.

#10 ·
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Hopefully Santa brought you new horse power mods, big brake kit or new tires for your ride.

If you wish to go on this trip, it has been posted to the event registration site as well as all the forums. Please note that there is a dead line to sign up for the arranged discounted rooms. If you miss the deadline, you can still attend but you are on your own for rooms.

Any and all are welcome, so please invite or forward to friends and family. Also, as a note, you can do all or some of the scheduled trip.

There is a space limit so if you want to go register soon.

#12 ·
Friendly reminder about the event.

PDF Itinerary:
www.raddrives.com/drives/_roadtrips/southwest/Epic Drive 2015 - South West Itinerary.pdf

Also the itinerary below is the final one we are following. We made a change as one of the last stops on the original plan requires a 4x4. So unless you have the offroad mode in your sports car we made a destination change =)

Website registration page has the current info.

---------------------------------

Itinerary for the 2015 Epic Drive South West Road Trip: June 1st – 9th 2015

We will be starting this adventure in Henderson, Nevada. To make it as easy on everyone as we can, we worked out a group rate with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, Las Vegas/Henderson. The hotel also provides a hot breakfast, which is included in the rate, so we will have plenty of fuel for the adventure ahead.

Date: May 31st, 2015
Address: Hawthorn Suites - 910 South Boulder Hwy, Henderson, NV 89015 US

Day 1: Hover Dam Grand Canyon Caverns, and Planes of Fame Museum

The planned stops for this day are as follows. We will be covering 361 miles for the day. This is one of the longer driving days but as mentioned, these roads allow for “higher” cruising speeds, so time will be cut down.

Date: June 1st 2015
Address: 910 South Boulder Hwy, Henderson, NV 89015 US
Depart: 8:00am - drive start

Stop one

Address: Hoover Dam – Hoover Dam Road
Time: 8:20am – 10:30am

Lunch stop will be in Dolan Springs
Time: ~11:30am- 1 hour stop for lunch

Stop two

Address: Grand Canyon Caverns - Arizona 66
Time: 2:00pm – 3:00pm

Address: Planes of Fame Museum
Time: 4:30 – 5:30pm

End of Day

Address: Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn - 100 Highway 64, Grand Canyon, AZ ‎ 86023
Time: ~ 6:00pm
Dinner: 7:00pm - Big E Steakhouse & Saloon - 365 State Highway 64, Tusayan, AZ 8602

Day Two: Grand Canyon

The day will be spent seeing the sights of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Participants are welcome to stay together or go off on their own adventure. Dinner will be arranged at the below location.

Start of day

For those who want to hike the trails around the Grand Canyon as a group, be in the lobby of the hotel at 8:00am to start the day.

End of Day

Time: ~ 6:00pm- Back to the hotel to clean up
Dinner: 7:00pm - Canyon Star Steakhouse and Saloon - 149 Arizona 64, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023

Day Three: North Rim and Drive to Zion

Start of day

Address: Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn - 100 Highway 64, Grand Canyon, AZ ‎ 86023
Time: 8:00am Departure

Stop one and Lunch Stop:

Address: Grand Canyon Lodge - Arizona 67, North Rim, AZ 86052
Time: ~12:00 – Lunch - Grand Canyon Lodge Dining Room for lunch, North Rim, AZ 86052
Time: 3:00pm- Depart for Zion

Stop two:

Address: Moqui Cave - 4518 U.S. 89, Kanab, UT 84741
Time: 5:00 – 5:20pm

End of Day

Address: Quality Inn At Zion Park - 479 Zion Park Boulevard, Springdale, UT 84767
Time: 6:20pm
Dinner: 7:00pm – Zion Pizza & Noodle Co. - 868 Zion Park Boulevard, Springdale, UT 84767

Day Four: Zion Canyon and Drive to Bryce Canyon

Participants are welcome to spend the day touring the Zion National Park. There are plenty of short trails and tour buses to see the park. You are welcome to stay in a group or make your own way through the park. Lunch will be on your own for the day.

----Start of day

For those who want to hike the trails around Zion as a group be in the lobby of the hotel at 8:00am to start the day.

Group departure for Bryce Canyon
Time: 5:00pm

End of day
Address: Fosters Motel - 1150 Highway 12, Bryce, UT 84764
time: ~6:00pm arrive at hotel
Dinner: 7:00pm – Foster's Family Steak House - Utah 12, Bryce, UT 84764

Day Five: Bryce Canyon

Participants will spend the day touring Bryce Canyon. There are multiple overlooks as well as short to moderate hikes for the group to explore.

----Start of day

Time: 8:00am depart for the park
Boxed lunch will be arranged for the group

End of day

Time: ~6:00pm arrive at hotel
Dinner: 7:00pm – Cowboy's Buffet and Steak Room - 26 South Main Street, Bryce Canyon, UT 84764

Day Six: Petrified Forest, Capitol Reed, and drive to Moab

Start of day

Time: 8:00am - Depart for Moab

Stop one

Address: Escalante Petrified Forest State Park - 710 North Reservoir Road, Escalante, UT 84726
Time: 9:00am – 10:00am - Petrified Forest

Planned Lunch Stop

Address: Slackers -- 165 E Main St, Torrey, UT 84775
Time: 11:30 - 12:30 – Lunch Stop

Stop two

Address: Capitol Reef Visitor center - 16 Scenic Drive, Torrey, UT 84775
Time: 12:45pm – 2:30pm

End of Day

Address: Adventure Inn - 512 North Main Street, Moab, UT 84532
Time: 4:30pm arrive at hotel
Dinner: 6:00pm – Miguel's Baja Grill - 51 North Main Street, Moab, UT 84532

Day Seven – Arches National Park and Canyon Lands

This day will be spent at two different parks. Arches National Park will be the first half of the day, as it has the most hikes to see the different formations.

Start of day

For those who want to see both parks as a group be in the lobby of the hotel at 7:00am to start the day. As we are seeing two parks and the Arches Park has a lot of trails. We want to make sure we have time to see the sights.

Lunch for the day
Boxed lunches will be arranged for the group.

The second half of the day will be spent at Canyon Lands to drive the rim and stop at the different overlooks. There are several short trails you can hike on if you chose to.

End of day

Time: 6:00pm arrive at hotel
Dinner: 7:00pm – Moab Brewery - 686 South Main Street, Moab, UT 84532

Day Eight – Needles Canyon Land

Start of Day

Time: 8:00am – Departure

Lunch for the day
Boxed lunches will be arranged for the group.
Address: Needles Visitor Center - Moab, UT 84532

Leave the park for the drive to the hotel
Time: 4:30pm – Depart for Cortez

End of day

Address: Rodeway Inn - 1120 East Main Street, Cortez, CO 81321
Time: ~6:00pm arrive at hotel
Dinner: 7:00pm – J Fargo's Grill & Bar - 1209 East Main Street, Cortez, CO 81321

Day Nine - Mesa Verde National Park

Start of day

Time: 8:00am – Departure
- We will see the different settlements, caves, and paintings through the two major areas of the park.

Lunch for the day
Address: Far View Terrace - State Highway 10, CO 81321
Time: 11:00am – 12:00pm Lunch

End of day

Time: 6:00pm
Dinner: 7:00p - Main Street Brewery Restaurant - 21 East Main Street, Cortez, CO 81321

This is the official last destination for the group. Here we will all say goodbye and share the stories we made from the last few days of trekking through the South West.

Day Ten – Petrified Forest National Park, Wigwam Hotel (OPTIONAL DAY)

This is not an official part of the tour. For those who wish to make trek a little further west, we will be going through the Petrified Forest National Park and make a stop at the famous Wigwam motel. This is the motel with Tee-pees and old cars out front as well as some other Indian settlements and caves that are near Winslow.

Address: Wigwam Motel - 811 West Hopi Drive, Holbrook, AZ 86025
Settlement and cave tour
Address: Homolovi State Park - Arizona 87, Winslow, AZ 86047

End of the day
Address: Rodeway Inn - 1916 West 3rd Street, Winslow, AZ 86047
Time: 6:00pm

#13 ·
Bowing Out

Bums me to say this, but I've got to bow out of this Grand an' Glorious event. This year's vacation time has now been allotted to a vacation with my wife, time for a new grandchild coming soon, and this August's 35-Year OMC Anniversary event held in Northern California.

I will, however make as many day-trips and weekend road-trips as I can.

Bummed.

#15 ·
The Epic Road Trip 2015 was a great success. For those who missed the event you missed a truly EPCI adventure. Over the 10 days the group was together we covered over 1600 miles and saw over nine national parks and three state parks.

One thing with these trips is there is no way to really recap all the moments of the event. While the images help show you the sights and who was there, it cannot convey the stories shared and the new stories made. For example everyone there if you ask about Fosters you will hear a great story being told.

The images below are just a glimpse of the 9000 images posted to the website. Feel free to explore the images and hope to see you in 2017 for the next Epic Road Trip.

See all the images here: 2015 Epic Road Trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.