Opel Nationals Discussion thread - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Opel Nationals Discussion thread

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbinjax View Post
    Every location/venue isn't going to satisfy everyone. I think there were plenty of folks that attended the Blairsville event that enjoyed it for the same reasons you didn't like it. Some people aren't looking for a large venue to advertise their business but rather looking for a venue to get together with other people with a common interest in unique vehicles. There's only so much walking in the sun and sitting one can do and having an organized drive to enjoy the local scenery was refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally like the larger venues but it doesn't have to be a large venue to be successful.
    Didn't say I didn't enjoy it, I just felt it needed a trial run, as it lacked in organization. I think we can all agree that most of everything was dropped into Steve Goins lap and its too much for one person to plan an entire new meet like that. He still has a business to run. Not looking to promote any business, in fact it was the Georgia guys that asked me why I don't host a National Meet. The suggestion was to have it at my shop, but I felt that wasn't really a venue, but a one day hang out.

My definition of a National Meet would be (and everyone will think differently)
    1. A main location, with other attraction than a car show if others (family) want something else to do.
    2. An actual show with awards, being a National Meet, I think some hold that special to win an award at the highest show level.
    3. A possible cruise or late evening or early secondary venue to meet up at or drive in convoy.
    4. A schedule of events (meaning this is going to be here from these times, then this will take place at these times)

Again, I'm not trying to take away the National Meet from any group, I'm simply putting our bid into the hat for 2017, so that we can prepare for trial runs, funding, and the details
    If another group has something better to offer, lets hear it. Its a big commitment and far and few areas are willing to volunteer for such a show, but I felt we could pull off something nice in our area.
    GoinManta likes this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keith
    It was my suggestion about using your shop, but, not so much the complete venue, but, as something like a cruise or mountain run. You're promoting your book on GT restoration, why not see it first hand? One of the meets we had in GA, we met at a high end restoration shop and a lot found it interesting as to what is done during a restoration.
    Also, Steve didn't do it all, he did add a few touches that only he, a local business man could do. I did the plaques/grille badges/hat pins. We decided early on, not to do awards, we just wanted people to come and relax. Lance's little, ahem, "addition to the event made it even more special
    Last edited by BQS4; 05-26-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Owner of EZ2Wire.com My location GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbinjax View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I occasionally like the larger venues but it doesn't have to be a large venue to be successful.
    It had to at least be able to hold 30-60 cars. As you have to plan for that many for a National meet.

But a well laid out Park can work. The MOA picnics had upwards of 20 cars, and room for more. The old OMC picnics also had a good layout.

That's what I think is different now. It doesn't have to be a large event or tied into a large meet ( that just makes it easier ). A nice picnic at local park works and has worked well.

The issue there is that required more bodies for setup, planning for food, and such.

I actually kind of miss having a nice picnic with Opel friends and cars, with a few burgers under a few shade trees. The key to making that work is to have a annual picnic so regionally people come every year.

The MOA picnic in Richmond kept getting bigger and more attended, it wasn't until Carlisle really picked up that I stopped doing it and just went with Carlisle, because at the time I was doing both of them and one big event a year was enough. But even then the MOA meet was a continuation of the meets Keiths grandpa ? Put on in Maryland.. It moved to Richmond because I picked up the reins from Joe Pavlack ( He started the MOA ). But all those events up to Carlisle were at a local park or even just in a parking lot like a Cars and Coffee. Not saying we should kust meet in a parking lot for the nationals.

But a nice park wouldn't be bad.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 05-26-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus
    & at least 20 other Opels

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The plus to having it at this museum, is we could tour the museum and it has facilities and indoor activities if it gets too hot. They have room for a 100 car club show, so it would be just right. I think you could do a picnic style thing there toO, and probably would want to. Look under car club rentals at
    Home - Lane Motor Museum

We did a meet some years ago and reserved the front lot for free, it was really nice, but we could have had more as always. That was probably 11 years ago. They do some in house restorations and you can see their workshop at most times. This is just one possible venue location, I would work on getting sponsors to take care of things such as admission and rental of the grounds.
    Gary, GoinManta and Ooooner like this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    The plus to having it at this museum, is we could tour the museum and it has facilities and indoor activities if it gets too hot. They have room for a 100 car club show, so it would be just right. I think you could do a picnic style thing there toO, and probably would want to. Look under car club rentals at
    Home - Lane Motor Museum

We did a meet some years ago and reserved the front lot for free, it was really nice, but we could have had more as always. That was probably 11 years ago. They do some in house restorations and you can see their workshop at most times. This is just one possible venue location, I would work on getting sponsors to take care of things such as admission and rental of the grounds.
    That looks like a GREAT venue.. Especially with all the eclectic cars they have. Heck I am almost 100% they would help promote the National meet as an event for themselves to get visitors.
    CURRENT
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been watching the thread and seeing if any others who attend the Route 66 Meet in Springfield wanted to chime in on the 2018 Nationals. I think it is a good Idea and of course I will do what I can to make it happen. The Event here has kind of established a rhythm and does not take a lot to get up to National speed. I just have never meant for this to be John & Connie's event. The local Convention and Visitors bureau has been asking when the Opel Nationals would return to Springfield so will be Happy to see us and will help with some promotion.

As far as other venues and places for the event, look at a map and Kansas City or Topeka Kansas jump out at you for location. Being one of a few in this group who have driven an Opel to most of the venues we now use, it can test your nerve to make a long trip. Three day events have been used to make it worth the trip. Letting folks know a few years out lets them prepare. I have always felt if I wanted to have someone drive to Springfield I should be willing to return the favor.

Bottom line, whether it is a stand alone Opel Event or tied to a larger show does not really matter as long as we get a good turnout and have some fun while we are at it.
    Gary, Ooooner, manta73wi and 4 others like this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    I think Charles' idea of where the next 5 years of National Opel Meets has merit:

2015 California
    2016 Carlisle
    2017 Tennessee
    2018 Springfield, Ill.
    2019 Charlotte, NC.

I personally think that this is a great lineup. If someone (Club) new wants to participate in hosting a National meet, please let everyone know. It's great to see Keith and Harold stepping up to host a National Opel Meet. Great new place!

I vote for this lineup.
    That has my vote!
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A few of you might even enjoy the Nashville Trash tours.

Harold

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nashville is a fun place...

I think the gal in lower right hand corner is HOT
    Last edited by wrench459; 05-26-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    GoinManta, guyopel and pinballace like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Portland's Cars and Coffee happens at World of Speed Museum. That place is pretty cool (plus one of the race cars I built is on exhibit now )
    GoinManta and poor gt (R.I.P) like this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an alternate idea:

Have permanent Regional Nationals EVERY year in all 3-5 regions and scratch the single Nationals that rotates to various regions every year.

This is a big country. Most of the population lives on the coasts. It's seldom heard that someone drove their Opel from the Pacific to the Atlantic for a show. That's 5 days of driving 8 hours a day! If you have a REALLY nice car, all spotless and perfect, it would be trashed by a cross country drive, unless you have a trailer and a big SUV to haul it. Many folks' Opels can barely make it across town, leastwise out of state. If the "Nationals" only visits your neck of the woods every 3-5 years and you have a scheduling conflict, illness, car issue, etc., you have to wait another 3-5 years for your next crack at it.

I suggest that have permanent, yearly, Regional Nationals.

As far as a 50th Anniversary gathering(or 55th, 60th, etc.), Missouri sounds like a logical choice.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 05-27-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Here's an alternate idea:

Have permanent Regional Nationals EVERY year in all 3-5 regions and scratch the single Nationals that rotates to various regions every year.....
    Thats sort of the idea.. but not exactly. Right now we have that in annual REGIONAL events in Carlisle (North East), Springfield (Mid West), Charlotte ( Southern ), Tacoma (Pacific Northwest - The issue with Tacoma getting much notice here is the organizer of it doesnt do the interwebs.. ) and Southern California ( Opels Unlimited June Bug Event (June 13th) is on its 2nd Year and Todd says he will keep it going for a while ).

The other regions don't have anyone standing up to host an event. As noted before, the older clubs such as the Rocky Mountain Club (Rockies) or Texas ( Southwest ) have had their meets off and on, but don't have a big annual meet anymore. Be nice if they did. But that takes volunteers to put one on. As for OMC, they only put on big event once every 5 years in Northern California. Due to the volunteers issue.

So yes Annual meets in the different regions was the idea.. but once a year one of the events gets the National moniker. You can't be both a Regional Meet and a National Meet. Its one or the other. Its so people that can only go to one event a year know which one to go to and meet new Opel people, its why its called the National meet and not the Annual regional meet. Only difference is the National moniker, this is typical of all national car clubs.

They do this so people, who can only get to one event a year, just don't go to the same old event every year (Carlisle).. kind of why you dragged yourself to Charlotte last year If Charlotte wasn't the national meet last year you might have not gone, but it does happen every April and September.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 05-27-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    CURRENT
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My point is that most of us east-of-the-Mississippians are NEVER going to go to a California or Washington Nationals and virtually no west-of-the-Rockians have ever come to Carlisle, so the idea that one Nationals, rotating around the country on a 3-5 year cycle, will bring us together more has not panned out.

If we're going to have only one Nationals event nationwide per year, logically it should be in the same centrally located location, like Missouri, every year, so that everyone in the country has a reasonably equal shot at attending it. But, that would effectively exclude, every year, those who's cars can't handle 3000 miles of round trip driving.

The Charlotte Nationals absolutely killed the Carlisle gathering last year. Carlisle is our primary, if not only, Northeastern event and only about 15 cars showed up. So as a result, hardly any of us northeasterners saw each other last year. There's no way I would have fought and clawed my way through all the Northeastern traffic to get to Charlotte last year in an old Opel. I came in my Solstice because it was a modern car that made the drive enjoyable.

Do other car clubs have rotating nationals or regional nationals?

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do other car clubs have rotating nationals or regional nationals?
    They have Annual Regionals, and a National Meet held at one of the Annual Regionals.

The closest thing to MO is the Springfield show and its on the middle of IL very close to MO. I can say when its the Nationals a similar thing happens. I and many in the Ohio group and eastern group go to Springfield when its the nationals but not the other 4 years, same holds true for many that went to Charlotte.

I have been to Charlotte on off years, and attendance is smaller but you see a fresh crowd. But when its the Nationals. Not only do those from other regions show up, more locals show up as well.

Back when OMC had an annual event I went a few times and even drove to 2 of them. Bill, Gary, Bob and others went as well..

Just as I couldn't do the 14 hour every year to Springfield. Doing it once every 5 makes it special and that's the point of a National meet. Thats why I may go to the Charlotte meet during the off years (5 hours), but You, Gary, etc.. would only go on the years its a national meet (11-15 hours).

So its a system that does work. I once showed that there is a circular pattern to the events and attendance.

Inner circle is 50 miles from event, these are locals that will show to all

2nd tier is 100 miles from event, these are locals that usually show up but not all. But they do tend to show up when its a National meet.

3rd tier is 250 miles from event, these are regional members that will show up ( Vickie, Steve ) < Getting you to come to my BBQ.. for instance.

4th tier is 400 miles from event, these are regional members on the edge that will usually show up to a regional meet ( Gary, Bob ) especially if you're the closest event to them, and definitely to a National.

5th tier is 600 miles from event, these are the super attendees, that will show up to a national meet, or in some cases to every regional meet depending.. ( Pete, Gene )

6th tier is 800 miles+ from event, this is about as far as super attendees limit for a national meet and in a few cases regional meet (more true in the West).

Outside of 800 miles most wont drive they will fly, but you may get one or two to drive that are crazy enough. ( FWIW I drove to OMC 2000 and OMC 2005 - Coast to coast baby )

The more you can interlock rings between regional events the larger the National meet will be. Also a National Meet designation will double attendance usually at most regional shows. But it only works for a year or two if you keep it at the same place.

This is why most meets East of the Mississippi work, those to the west do not.

Once you get past MO, Texas and Colorado don't intersect, CO and WA do not, Northern and Southern CA do to a point, as well as SW with CO or TX. But as nothing has gone on in most those areas its hard to combine forces with other regions.

This isnt hard fact.. but it is what you need to base event participation on because it works.
    CURRENT
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I can see your point and I don't disagree with what you said.

I, for one, would be highly tempted by the opportunity to attend, say, 3 regional nationals(Northeast, Southern, and Central) in a single year, rather than going to just one of them because that's the ONLY nationals.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I can see your point and I don't disagree with what you said.

I, for one, would be highly tempted by the opportunity to attend, say, 3 regional nationals(Northeast, Southern, and Central) in a single year, rather than going to just one of them because that's the ONLY nationals.

You are one of those nut cases (like myself) that are in a tier all of their own..
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    CURRENT
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If TX would ever step up to the plate, they have a neat sounding German restaurant owned by one of their members, it's out in the middle of nowhere, but, the owner has quite a few interesting gray market Opels I would like to see.
    GoinManta and Ooooner like this.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW 2017 would be a great year to do that..

Go to Charlotte in April, Carlisle in May, Nationals in Tennessee in June-August and then Rt 66 in September. No ones stopping ya
    CURRENT
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus

Downloads
    Uploads
    I drove my GT to the Nationals at Monterey in 2010. Before that the wife and I flew out to the OMC picnics in 2000 and 2005. 2005 being the event at which the Idea of the Nationals was hatched. My feeling at the time was it seemed a way to get a bunch of Opelers together on a yearly basis instead of every five years. Something folks would attend even if they might not bring an Opel. Heck in 2000 at Huntington Beach even a bunch from Europe showed up. We set it up to stay a few extra days to enjoy the area, even went to see a taping of the Tonight Show where Sting Performed. One of the reasons I promote the Lincoln sites in Springfield is so folks can do something beyond the car show. I can see folks wanting to spend a day or two extra in Nashville to take in stuff like the Grand Ole Opry. Sometimes traveling to an Opel event makes you want to attend later in your own Opel. I know it sure put making a west coast event with an Opel on my bucket list.

Sometimes the fact that certain people in the Opel Community have said they would attend a certain meet prompts others to show up to meet them face to face. I know for a fact such was the case at the last Nationals in Springfield. The Nationals may be tweaked some but the concept is valid. Of course I may qualify as one of those Opel whack jobs. We flew to Germany in 2008 for the chance to see 250-300 GTs in one place, also stayed long enough to see a castle or two.

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really enjoyed Springfield a couple years back. Set-up was much different than the typical car show.
    GoinManta likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information