10th Annual Gold Rush to Gil's Drive - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 10th Annual Gold Rush to Gil's Drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Time Travel, Back to the Past

One of the first times, or maybe the very first time, I got together with NorCal Opelers
    was a meet at Blackhawk Museum in Danville. I drove a yellow '73 GT but I didn't park
    it on the circle in front of the Museum with the half dozen or so Opels there.
    Somewhere I must have a slide or photo of that time. If someone recorded that event
    please post a pic.
    I drove that '73 GT to Gil's when he had an open house at his new location, the house
    was mostly complete but not finished or painted inside. I don't remember the year.
    There were quite a few of Gil's Opel friends from SoCal there that time. It was the
    most Opels I had ever seen together at one time. The one I remember especially was
    a 3.0 L (6) Manta ! Lots of chrome under the hood, And I got the impression from the
    owner that he wound it up on the drive North.
    Years ago Opels were parked where Elephant is now. Mini Brute anyone ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy, I think you are correct. The first time I was at Gil's, the family was still living above the store.

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just bumping it back to the front page

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by traytodd View Post
    Just bumping it back to the front page
    I'm afraid that I have to put it on MY "back" page. The guy I was going to see in Woodland is going to be in Ogden, UT most of the week before the Gold Rush so there is no point in my trip. I'll call Roy tomorrow so he can decide what he wants to do. It is not all bad news for me however as the reason for going to UT is to wind tunnel test 3 vehicles, all of which I was the aero designer for. The original lakester (open wheeled vehicle) which I suggested they convert to a streamliner and built and tested a 1/8 scale model in the small wind tunnel we had at Rockwell (now Boeing North American). I've posted pics of it here: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2a-body...y-bumpers.html post #12 The number 4 pic is the first conversion and the 5th pic is the latest version (227mph with a 650cc engine).

The second vehicle is an open wheeler now and brand new (first runs were at El Mirage in November where the driver was going through licensing runs). It has also been posted in the above link, post #65.

The third vehicle is a custom built motorcycle which runs Harley style engines and has a detachable sidecar. By changing the bodywork, engine sizes, fuel types and adding the sidecar, it can run in 32 different classes. Current best speed with the sidecar is about 165mph (beating the old record by almost 20mph) and without the sidecar it has gone 174.998mph beating that previous record (but not getting the next class driver's license which required 175mph). I'll try to find a pic tomorrow (which will be Thursday). It was my first motorcycle design and the owner let me try some of my own ideas. Since the rider is such a big part of the drag on a bike, he will actually be on board during the tests!

I've never been associated with full scale testing of cars and bikes so I am sure this will be interesting! I am, however, sorry to be missing the Gold Rush and meeting some more Opelers.

Doug

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by traytodd View Post
    Keith, the first pictures I can find are in 2008 but I know that it was not the first year. Chris is in the pictures but he does not have a car, either his Bumblebee GT or the Policia Manta. I thing he was driving Gils blue GT that year. He had blown the GT's engine and then switched to the Manta in later years. I remember the first couple of runs I went on, I met the caravan at Pilot Hill before the Salmon Falls cutoff. Chris had his Bumblebee GT with the stroked engine. Then one year they stopped here. It was after the Barn was built. We finished the barn in '04 so it would have been '05 or '06. There was also one or two years where I met the crowd in the El Dorado Hills business park. I know I missed one or two runs and we may just have not gotten in organized once or twice.

The bottom line is that we have been doing this at least 10 years, most likely longer.
    Hi Todd, just for the record, the 2.4L never blew. The ancient wiring in the GT caught fire and I parked it. Still have it, but that is a project when I have less kids around. Still have the Manta but not registered. We plan to start coming again but life is in the way. Going to Washington DC soon and that is eating up all the play money. Then the wife and I are going to Hawaii in the fall. It is vacation catch up.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Chris for setting me straight.

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Facebook friend from Santa Cruz I was thinking of inviting. She's a (hot) cop, so that should keep everyone in line.

I also heard from Paul Kaman, president of OMC, and he wants to come. He lives in the Seattle area, so he'll be really making the effort to participate.

Also, if anyone is interested, there's a big show in Half Moon Bay the next day. Keith and I plan to be there, again.

Mike

Real Name
    Alan Brattesani
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Checking in to say that I'll be getting the silver GT out of the storage locker soon and will be driving it on the run. Looking forward to seeing some new faces and also the old ones!

BTW, Keith and I went to the Good Guys Show at the Pleasanton Fair Grounds yesterday. Huge number of very nice cars but no Opels.

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I decided to check out the road (CA193) from Georgetown to Placerville. The road is in good shape except they are repairing on slide area. It is one lane but light controlled. I am attaching some pictures I took along the way. The first are on main street in Georgetown. It is a great photo op. The others were taken on the descent to the S. Fork of the American River. The drive out of Georgetown is mostly on the divide past the little town of Kelsey. This section is mostly through woodland, with straights and gentle curves. A few miles after Kelsey the drop to the river begins. It is an 8% grade 5 mi drop full of tight curves and switchbacks. I navigated it easily in 2nd gear with little braking. The drop ends at the Chili Bar Bridge over the S. Fork. Then the road climbs for about 2 miles up to CA 49 and Placerville. There are no straights on the climb out. I did it mostly in 3rd gear.

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry photos did not stick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like it would be fun, even in my Ford F150! Makes me even sorrier that I won't be there! Y'all have a great time!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the final plans set for this fun run? I'm thinking about coming up!
    "Better To Wear Out ... Than To Rust Away"

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We need to finalize a few things with respect to the 2016 Fun Run.

1) Route: Georgetown or Salmon Falls Rd? See posted routes.
    2) Meeting place (assume Star Bucks in Auburn)
    3) Departure time
    4) Regroup points
    5) Food
    6) Departure time from Gil's
    7) Head count
    8) Designated sitter for Mike to make sure he doesn't go solo again.

Real Name
    Oliver
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys. I'd love to attend again this year but wanted to alert you to the fact that there are still 2 different dates floating around online. The issue of The Blitz that was just published shows April 16th whereas in an email sent out by OGTS a few days ago an attached flier showed the 23rd as the date. I know the dates were switched a couple of times. I had the 16th marked on my calendar.

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The last I heard it was the 23rd. If it is the 16th, I need to alter some plans.

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the 23rd should be the date.

Real Name
    Alan Brattesani
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the date is the 23rd. That's probably a typo in the calendar section of the Blitz as the Tinyvette has another engagement on its social calendar on the 16th.

The April 23rd date is noted in the Upcoming Events section on Page 4.
    Last edited by althewiz; 04-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by althewiz View Post
    I believe the date is the 23rd. That's probably a typo in the calendar section of the Blitz as the Tinyvette has another engagement on its social calendar on the 16th.

The April 23rd date is noted in the Upcoming Events section on Page 4.
    As I said earlier, I won't be able to be there but Mike had offered me a ride in Tinyvette (actually, the word he used was "stint" so I was hoping it meant "drive" but that date was for the earlier 4-16 weekend). I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can make it on 4-23 (not too likely as I have to be near Los Angeles that same day!).

Doug

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    As I said earlier, I won't be able to be there but Mike had offered me a ride in Tinyvette (actually, the word he used was "stint" so I was hoping it meant "drive" but that date was for the earlier 4-16 weekend). I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can make it on 4-23 (not too likely as I have to be near Los Angeles that same day!).

Doug
    Stint = drive.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    Stint = drive.

Doug

But I still can't make it!

PS - 5 moving smilies take a while to load, be patient!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information