10th Annual Gold Rush to Gil's Drive - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 10th Annual Gold Rush to Gil's Drive

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you lose the E-clip, you can use a piece of rubber hose and a hose aircraft style hose clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry R. Todd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nor Cal Fun Run Goes Interstate

We had cars from Las Vegas and Washington besides San Jose and the Sacramento area. Tales of being snow bound in the Sierra, oil leaks, and road side repairs. Saw a V6 Cosworth GT that would make a good Lemons car. Had great food once again courtesy of Gil. Saw some great country and twisty roads that made our cars happy. And fine weather to go with it all. Begs for a repeat. We also ran into a 40 car Porsche rally. Our cars were more classic than the vast majority of theirs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mschinelli3 likes this.

Senior Member My location zippy7575's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really wanted to tow the GT up there from AZ, but ended up having a date conflict with one of my 93 year-old dad's doctor appointments. Would liked to have rescheduled that, but we were lucky to get it when we did as they normally have a two month wait.

Oh well, I've had the GT since 1973, so unless I get hit by a bus there's always next year. I love that area and couldn't think of a better place for an Opel outing.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. I've owned it since 1973.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the great time!

Previous to this outing I had only ever seen one GT other than mine. This trip I was able to 7x that! It was great putting faces to names. Thanks Gil and Terry for organizing and the great food.

As Mike said I had my nut holding down my Petronix come undone which cause erratic sparking. Things got worse because the nut jammed into the "advance" mechanism and thus made anything over 3k RPM impossible.

I write this all as if the explanation was soooooo obvious. In reality I had 3 hours of bad to worse engine performance before the engine fully flooded and left me dead at an intersection. The running hypothesis at the time was that the jetting was too rich and it looked like I was going to have to pack it in. Fortunately Alex was kind enough to pop in the drivers seat and hole the throttle open to air out the intake while I looked for any other potential causes. Since I was seeing some weird RPM spikes (but no engine audio to suggest reving) I decided to pop the distributor and see if anything looked out of place. Sure enough there was a tiny little nut jammed in the advance. Good news: found the problem. Bad news: i didn't have the right size socket (7mm). The Opel gods smiled upon me because Mike had all the socket I needed. I got it all together and it was smooth sailing from there on out!

Ironic that Neil and Alex lost their clutch. When we met in the morning Alex gave me a protip to install extra e-clips on my clutch line, in case of failure. I am glad his advice came in handy down the road!

1000 Post Club My location
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had my clutch fail after the one and only E clip on my clutch failed on one of my previous GTs. When Irealized how simple and cheap this was to fix, I made sure I bought extra E clips and installed them. I suggested Alex do this too. Good he did!

My guess is the primary E clip had already failed earlier in the day and with all the shifting on the winding roads this caused a lot of wiggle on cable, causing the other clips to pop off. Fortunately the last one left was the one Mike found on the ground, allowing he and Alex to fix the clutch and get us home.

Lesson...buy and install extra E clips!

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grslightng02 View Post
    I had my clutch fail ......<SNIP>
    Lesson...buy and install extra E clips!

OR drive a GT with an automatic transmission!

Just another way of looking at things....

Doug

PS - I'm sure Gordo agrees with me here!

PPS - Neil just gave me 2 automatic transmissions!
    Last edited by slracer; 04-27-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added another comment

Downloads
    Uploads

Gold Rush To Gil's

A big Thank You! to all of those who attended. The weather was good, the food was tasty, and the company was great!

We look forward to a repeat next year

Reminder!
    https://madmimi.com/p/e769a7

April Promos:
    https://madmimi.com/p/cb3777

https://madmimi.com/p/7d1087

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information