Arizona Route 66 Cruise
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Arizona Route 66 Cruise

Senior Member My location zippy7575's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arizona Route 66 Cruise

Opel Roy and I have been thinking about taking our GTs for a days drive on Route 66 this month, probably starting near Flagstaff or Seligman. Just checking to see if there are any other Opelers out there who might want to join us?

We're somewhat flexible on dates, but of course need to do it before the summer heat sets in. Not such a big deal for me as I live in the mountains, and Route 66 is up in altitude too, but Roy would be driving up from Phoenix so the heat would be an issue for him.

If interested just let us know.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. I've owned it since 1973.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry I can't make it as I'm in NY Probably til the summer is over. I'd love to do an Opel trip in the fall.
    Craig
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for responding, Craig. Good luck back there. Give one of us a shout when you get back in Az and maybe we can put something together then.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. I've owned it since 1973.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cam,
    I understand that you gave Roy a way up to Cottonwood and he loved the road....My daughter used to live in Wickenburg.
    He also mentioned that you have a MINT AMX... I have an AMX also but it is in desperate need of a restoration. The engine is rebuilt but the rest is beat up.
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crliwa View Post
    Cam,
    I understand that you gave Roy a way up to Cottonwood and he loved the road....My daughter used to live in Wickenburg.
    He also mentioned that you have a MINT AMX... I have an AMX also but it is in desperate need of a restoration. The engine is rebuilt but the rest is beat up.
    Yep Craig, I've definitely got more cars than sense. Bought the AMX in early 2014 and spent the last two years restoring it to showroom condition. I went as factory original as possible, which I would probably never do again due to the extra expense that entails. Mine's a '69 Big Bad Orange painted bumper car w/ 390 GoPack and 4-speed. There's actually an AMC restoration shop in Phoenix, one of the few in the country. They did my paint and body work and also rebuilt the original engine for me.

The AMX was a fun process, but I've had the Opel since 1973 (when I was 19) so that will always be my baby. I'll have it 'til the day I die, and it actually drives nicer than the AMX (now that I've rebuilt the GT's suspension and steering rack).

The GT is unrestored but decent driver-quality. I am thinking about giving it a paint job, but knowing me, once I get into it I'll decide I have to go whole hog. That makes me reluctant to even start anything.

Would love to get together and see both your GT and AMX one of these days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First a pic of a beautiful AMX. Surrounded by Hudsons, Jeeps, Javelins, etc,
    and more AMXs.... Great AMC show !
    I did drive the Mountain Road up to Wickenburg, Prescott, Jerome, with visitors
    from OKC, to see mutual friends from the '60s living in Cottonwood.
    Cottonwood from Cave Creek on I 17 is about 2 hours, mountain road took about
    4 hours without my usual stops for views and photos. Lots of twisties !
    When I do this it will be an early (daylight) start, return on I 17, mostly downhill.
    I contacted Irfan and Doug, neither can do this in May. Anyone else interested ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information