Sears Pointless 2013
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sears Pointless 2013

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sears Pointless 2013

Preparations have begun!

Preparations meaning -- finally getting around to fixing stuff we broke back in September.

But first, about the event.

Date: March 23-24, 2013
    Location: Sonoma Raceway, formerly known as Infineon Raceway, and forever known as Sears Point Raceway.

Our plan:
    • Thursday - Pack up and get to the track at around sunset, unpack and set up, ready for an early start on Friday.
    • Friday - Tech inspection followed by BS inspection. We'll try to get this out of the way early. Drivers who are interested can then buy track time for practice.
    • Saturday - Up early for final preparations, camera test, and the other work that goes into the switch from race-prep mode to race mode. Then there is the mandatory driver's meeting, then the track goes hot, then the green flag drops at about 9:30 AM. Racing stops for the day at 6 PM. After the car is in and we get everyone back to our pits we inspect everything, especially brakes and tires, and we deal with anything else that needs dealing with. Then we grab dinner in Petaluma and return to join the parties in the paddock.
    • Sunday - Up early, short driver's meeting, green flag at 9:15 AM, racing ends at 5:30 PM. Awards ceremony at 5:30 PM, then we have to be out of there by 8 PM.

Here's how it has gone for us in the past.

2011 - heavy rain Friday night, more rain most of the day Saturday, clearing slightly towards the end of the day. Sunday was dry and fast. The car did OK, but it was backfiring and bogging like crazy. I was sure we were going to blow something off of it. People in the stands could hear it backfire from anywhere on track, making us easy to find. But the car survived and the team did great. No penalties. We battled a seasoned Volvo wagon team for 7 hours straight, then they blew up. We didn't, but Geoff did run out of gas on the last lap. We had to wait and get pushed in but we had a big lead on the next car and won our class. Plus, we won the IOE, the Index of Effluency, for a car they considered truly horrible, but still managed to do well.

2012 - Same weather as 2011, but much worse on Saturday. Visibility was horrible, Alan spun in the wet. Pretty much everyone spun, a lot, but Alan's was our only one. Later in the day Craig did somehow manage a 180 which he somehow corrected for, spinning it back around -180, all while maintaining forward momentum, and did not get a penalty. But after Alan's spin the car would not start. He got it rolling down the hill and bump started it. Wet electrics? Turned out the be the alternator, but we wouldn't know that until Monday. Zep squeezed another stint out of that battery before we swapped it for one we took from LT's car. After racing ended on Saturday we installed a new alternator and battery Alan had fetched from NAPA in Petaluma and we started Sunday on a fresh battery. It lasted about 5-6 hours. We swapped the original, freshly charged, back in and finished the race. Oh, we did do a tranny swap, and timed it at 32 minutes, including jacking.

2013 - TBA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

Preparations - the Plan

We still have the original motor and after taking it apart found it looks pretty good. There was one broken ring, one con-rod bearing going bad, and the head was heavily carboned up following that motor's final race at Reno-Fernley elevations. Cylinder walls looked great. Smooth and no lip at the top. It much have been rebuild just before it got parked.

That motor is getting some attention now, but will be our spare motor. It will be just like before, no fancy mods and no more money that required being spent on it. It will get H/C pistons. I found them in a box of parts we brought up from the "Arizona Raid" last summer. They are soaking in diesel now to clean them up.

Right now I am just cleaning parts and looking carefully at everything, thus the timing chain cover thread. I think I will splurge and get the block cleaned because it is pretty thick with gunk on the outside and it sure is nice working on clean stuff, especially if I move that whole operation into the kitchen. (Why am I not married, you ask? )

The 2.0 motor I damaged at Bonneville will get a replacement piston, cleaned up, and put back together pretty much as it was before: torquer cam, H/C pistons, dual DCOEs. We'll spend more time tuning it and we'll get a 4-channel EGT gauge for it.

Other? Not much. I'm looking at getting an Arduino to use to make an alarm that will alert the driver to issues indicated by the gauges. And maybe I'll finally build that preamp so that all of our fans will finally be able to hear what the Tinyvette actually sounds like.

I'm still considering getting a window net, and if money were no object, would definitely get a good fire system and a fuel cell.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Piston health is important to a long and happy engine life. Here is a photo of an unhealthy piston.

This malady has a tendency to spread. Here's it's neighbor.

It looks like the "crust" has become a host to strange life forms.

And the next photo shows you another piston affliction this patient was suffering from.

But as long as the block is OK these things can be treated with a 3-day soak in diesel fuel.

It's odd how the soak changed the top of the piston. I may need to consult an expert.

Dr. Meier

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    ... Oh, we did do a tranny swap, and timed it at 32 minutes, including jacking.

Hey guys, transsexuals are people and have feelings too. It's not nice to go swapping them with other teams just for fun.
    "Squealing tires are happy tires" - The Stig

Member My location West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Preparations - A Fan's Plan

1. Begin rounding up the rest of the Northern California Opel guys to attend this year's grand event.
    2. Find an Opel with a tail gate so we can have a, you guessed it, tailgate party.
    3. Leave my GT at home. If history repeats itself again this year, it will rain and I'll be directed to park in the muddy lot instead of the near-empty paved parking lot.
    4. Assemble my wet-weather gear.
    5. Fill my Irish themed flask with Jameson.
    6. Fill my Dewar's flask with (you guessed it again - sharp lads) Dewar's.
    7. Fill the trunk of the car with spare Opel parts.
    8. Carry 13mm & 15mm swivel sockets in my pocket in case the TinyVette team is swapping their tranny again.
    "Squealing tires are happy tires" - The Stig

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast GT View Post
    [*]Find an Opel with a tail gate so we can have a, you guessed it, tailgate party.
    This would mean you'd need a Sportwagon, or a Kadett wagon....LOL
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you measured air/fuel ratio on TinyVette?

What size DCOE's are you guys running? I'm certainly no expert but looking at your piston tops, I'm guessing you are crazy rich. I would invest in an air/fuel ratio meter and see where you guys are at, and then think about adjusting the jetting on those Webers. We put an A/F gauge on the Breadvan and it helped immensely in getting the Holley dialed in... and bonus, its exempt under the "driver information" clause. (Also, much cheaper than hours spent on the dyno.)

My question is.. How the heck did you get dual DCOE Webers past the BS Judges? That setup alone is over $500!

Darren

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughToys View Post
    What size DCOE's are you guys running? I'm certainly no expert but looking at your piston tops, I'm guessing you are crazy rich.
    Weber size has nothing to do with air fuel ratios. You can change jets to get to your target A/F ratio whether you're running 40 DCOE's or 55 DCO's.

However the deposits on the piston tops are not fuel, but oil (burnt ash).
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    Weber size has nothing to do with air fuel ratios. You can change jets to get to your target A/F ratio whether you're running 40 DCOE's or 55 DCO's.
    I totally agree, although I suspect you wouldn't get very good fuel atomization with a giant venturis on a small bore engine, unless you're running WOT all the time. I'm still curious about the size of the Webers. I had dual 45 DCOE's on my Alfa 2.0L (11:1 pistons, aggressive cam, big valves, header) and it was most unhappy at low rpms.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I totally agree, although I suspect you wouldn't get very good fuel atomization with a giant venturis on a small bore engine, unless you're running WOT all the time. I'm still curious about the size of the Webers. I had dual 45 DCOE's on my Alfa 2.0L (11:1 pistons, aggressive cam, big valves, header) and it was most unhappy at low rpms.
    Agreed! I generally stay below 36 mm venturis for a street engine. Unless you're talking monster engine displacement.

IIRC, they are running 40 DCOE's on the Tinyvette. Not sure on the venturi size however. Hopefully below 32 mm.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The wide band is a great tool and it is just that a tool.
    I've in the past have melted a piston with a nice ratio of 12:1 (NA).
    So be sure to gather all the info that you can be it spark plug cases or
    porcelain for glazing or small pepper spots.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What size DCOE's are you guys running? I'm certainly no expert but looking at your piston tops, I'm guessing you are crazy rich. I would invest in an air/fuel ratio meter and see where you guys are at, and then think about adjusting the jetting on those Webers. We put an A/F gauge on the Breadvan and it helped immensely in getting the Holley dialed in... and bonus, its exempt under the "driver information" clause. (Also, much cheaper than hours spent on the dyno.)

My question is.. How the heck did you get dual DCOE Webers past the BS Judges? That setup alone is over $500!

Darren
    The pistons were well used before we got them. The "mouse bites" are supposedly signs of detonation. Not sure what you see that says we were running rich.

We paid $500 for everything we could fit in a trailer. We went down to AZ to pick up a Getrag and carbs and came back with engines and pistons and much more.

Jay told us the cards and Getrag were OK with him. We had asked as part of our Bonneville preparations. Phil was OK with the Getrag but was not sure about the carbs. He told us to bring our old setup in case his final decision on them was no.

March at Infineon will be our first LeMons race with those carbs.
    Last edited by m610; 01-16-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: type

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ Sorry. You meant those pistons. I thought you meant the ones were ruined at Bonneville.

Those shown here were from our original motor, the one that was losing power on us at Reno-Fenerley, at altitude. We had not retuned for altitude and were most likely running very rich.

Here's our DCOE details - http://www.opelgt.com/forums/bonnevi...tml#post268111

More needs to be done with them, obviously, but they will be going on the 2.0 motor. The 1.9 mentioned here is our backup.

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the ability to apply high temp coatings to the tops and molybdenum to the skirts. I just need you to get the face and skirts blasted with 100 grit aluminum oxide, then I can spray and bake it. No charge.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Chris. I think we'll pass this time. The pistons are already on the con-rods and I'm anxious to get this build done.

BTW, I assume one would mask off the ring lands and wrist pin hole for this grit blasting.

It looks like were are set for timing chain covers. I took them to Evil Genius Racing today and used John's parts cleaners. They turned out well. It sure was easier than using the kitchen sink.

Found this today. I don't remember seeing it before. Is it something that came out in the wash? I handled this block carefully, set it on plywood during transport, etc. Can something like this be fixed? It sure as heck cannot be ignored.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also learned today, the cranks need to be ground. The shop that does that is across the parking lot from John's shop, about 40' away, so that will be easy. I just have to see what bearing I can get first.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Work continues.

The crank is at the shop for grinding. Meanwhile, the block from our original motor has been scrubbed and sanded and taps and dies run over everything to clean up the threads. This was the motor that had sat in a field for 25 years then raced for 1 year. It needed a little extra cleaning. And paint. Chevy orange, because it will eventually go in a "Corvette".

All of the bolt-ons (starter, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, etc.) are getting a similar scrubbing and thread-cleaning.

Anyway, this was going to be our practice-build motor, and a back up for the 2.0. I was going to use it to develop a checklist for engine assembly. Hopefully I can still do that before starting on the 2.0. For that motor we still need to get the heads and pistons and block, gosh, everything, back before I can start on that motor.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We got the 2.0L block back and it is now getting cleaned and painted (Ford blue). We have parts for the bottom-end build but are waiting for a piston from Venolia before we start on the rest.

The orange motor, the 1.9 that came with the car, awaits its reground crank. It will stay a 1.9L and stock except for the H/C pistons.

Pics.

Alan caught a fish! Actually, this is the 19E motor from last summer's Arizona raid. A carport full of spares for a race car serves nicely as a stash of parts for other Opel projects (Alex recently got a motor from us, plus a head, plus other parts). In this case Alan needs the steel oil pan for the 2.4L motor he's putting in "Santa's Manta".

I think I am addicted to bead blasters, and the addiction has moved into the polishing wheel phase. But this is a LeMons car, right? Well, anyway, there are parts enough for more than two motors here.

The 2.0 block, Sanded, honed, wire brushed, ran a tap through the threaded holes to clean them, washed, dried, degreased, more cleaning, washed again, dried again, degreased again, and ready for primer. The internal parts were sprayed and wiped with CRC 3-36 to keep them from rusting.

Worked late, but managed to get the block in primer, other parts in primer, other parts cleaned, and even got some things organized.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another little thing I did today to help with the engine work, started making a checklist of parts for the engine. Almost done, and attached.

Soon to follow, a checklist for assembly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Painted small parts and pressure washed large parts today.

To 2.0 will be Ford blue while the aluminum parts will just get clear paint. Must be protected from salt. LeMons judges will probably hammer us but other than paint all this motor is getting is a single replacement piston. Orange will be our reserve motor. We've never had a reserve motor before.

I'm feeling pretty good about the pressure washer, topping off regular cleaning, got the last of the media out of these parts.

It got dark, which just means the fum will continue tomorrow, after I dry out and warm up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information